How to know if a job posting is a scam?

dpatel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
********Update: I've accepted the job and will start on Nov 29th. I asked him for their FEIN (as RAMSTORIA suggested) and he said he was out of town but will call me on Monday to provide it and answer any other questions I may have. Is there anything else I could ask from him to verify this business? I'm pretty much convinced this is a legitimate business, but my parents are still a little uneasy, since this is a two person company, without an office, and I would, initially, have to work out of the guy's house.

Here is the company site, btw:
http://www.objectivetech.net/

I already tried a google search about the company and can't find anything (which makes sense, because they are a startup company consisting of two guys that have only been in business for about 5-6 years). The president/founder also told me that he was a VP of another company prior to starting this business, which I managed to verify here:
http://www.echex.net/pages/company/press/021008.cfm

Recently been offered a job with a tiny company (consists of 2 people) and just want to know how I can find out more information about it. I've spoken with the president/founder several times on the phone and we met at Starbucks for a couple hours to talk more about the job. He definitely knows his stuff and he showed me what kind of projects I'd be working on. It's a work at home job and since it's just two of them, they don't have an actual office. I've checked out their website and have google'd the president/founder's name. He told me he was VP of another small company previously, which I was able to find online. I've also spoken to the other employee of the company who is relatively unexperienced and was in the same position as me when hired (straight out of college with no experience). He's been there for 3 years now.

They haven't given me a reason not to believe/trust them, but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can on my end.

By the way.. the interview process was rigorous enough to where I feel it's a legitimate position. I submitted my resume over three weeks ago. Had an initial phone interview shortly after that lasted about an hour and consisted of standard interview questions and technical questions (wasn't too difficult but was relevant to the position I was applying for). I was then given a technical test by e-mail to do (a small programming assignment). Once I finished that, I was to contact him and walk him through my submitted answer. A week after that, we met face to face at starbucks for more questions and history/background of company and more info on position. We also agreed that I should talk to the second employee in case I had questions for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Viol8tor']People post fake Job postings? In purpose of what? Gain your personal information?

Dam, thats crazy.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing. I don't know if people actually do this. I do know there are people who post 'jobs' which end up being some scam where they ask you for 'X' amount of dollars to get started. The job I'm talking about definitely hasn't asked for money or personal info, so I think I'm pretty safe. I'm just being overly paranoid, but thought it'd be best to get some opinions before I proceed further.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ask for their FEIN (you'll get it sooner or later anyway if youre hired) and then http://answers.ask.com/Business/Finance/where_to_verify_a_tax_id_number_free[/QUOTE]

Perfect. Thank you so much. By the way, someone recommended that I look them up on the BBB, but I couldn't find anything on the site. Is that a bad thing, or is that still okay since the company is so small and only 5-6 years old? It's very possible that the company is listed under some other name that what I typed as well, so maybe I just didn't search right.

This sounds legit but I would follow Ramstoria's advice. The main thing I would be worried about is them possibly not paying you or some shit.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This sounds legit but I would follow Ramstoria's advice. The main thing I would be worried about is them possibly not paying you or some shit.[/QUOTE]

I'm not TOO concerned about that problem. Yea, that would suck terribly and be a waste of a couple weeks, but having your personal info put into the hands of scammers is what I'm really afraid of. It's been a while since I've been a new hire but don't you have to fill out some forms for tax purposes that will contain a lot of personal info (like SSN?).

I remember reading about a scam where people take photos of houses up for sale...but the company says that the photos aren't up to their standards and refuse to pay.

[quote name='Viol8tor']People post fake Job postings? In purpose of what? Gain your personal information?

when i was looking for a new place to live at the beginning of the year there were tons of scams. people would post pictures of nice apartments and condos and such for rent. when you emailed them they would want to you fill out an "application" before even meeting or anything. i can imagine they roped in more than a few suckers because most of the ads seem legit.

but with something like this, considering youve gone through and interview and everything its almost certainly safe. and if you verify their tax id you'll know that they are at least registered with uncle sam.

Go on craigslist....you'll see a slew of good looking job posts that are basically just scams for mining info

My idea when dealing with CL was I didn't submit my resume online unless the company had its own email address or unless I could walk up to that office and drop it off with a receptionist

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']but with something like this, considering youve gone through and interview and everything its almost certainly safe. and if you verify their tax id you'll know that they are at least registered with uncle sam.[/QUOTE]

Yea.. that's what I was thinking. I've seen my fair share of craigslist scams, but none that I know of would go through this much trouble with a single individual. I've been talking on and off with the founder/president for more than 3 weeks now. Probably talked on the phone for a total of 5 hours, met in person for 2 hours, and have sent multiple e-mails back and forth. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'll just do the tax id verification anyway.

[quote name='strongpimphand']My idea when dealing with CL was I didn't submit my resume online unless the company had its own email address or unless I could walk up to that office and drop it off with a receptionist[/QUOTE]

Yea.. I definitely searched craigslist, but don't think I ever submitted my resume. I submitted my resume to these guys through dice.com, monster, or something similar. Doesn't automatically mean it's legit, though, but I think I'm good with these guys. I just wanted some reassurance, I guess.

[quote name='dpatel']Yea.. that's what I was thinking. I've seen my fair share of craigslist scams, but none that I know of would go through this much trouble with a single individual. I've been talking on and off with the founder/president for more than 3 weeks now. Probably talked on the phone for a total of 5 hours, met in person for 2 hours, and have sent multiple e-mails back and forth. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'll just do the tax id verification anyway.

Yea.. I definitely searched craigslist, but don't think I ever submitted my resume. I submitted my resume to these guys through dice.com, monster, or something similar. Doesn't automatically mean it's legit, though, but I think I'm good with these guys. I just wanted some reassurance, I guess.[/QUOTE]

You should not have to worry about being scammed, no one would go this far to scam someone like that. Also just verify their tax id, it's important since you know they are a legit business.

Also craigslist is a hit or miss thing, I actually had like 2 interviews from Craigslist adds, none of them turned out good though. On the other hand I also applied for an internship which looked legit until I found out it was really one guy wanting people to do work for him for free and it was not a legit internship position.

Have another interview/meeting and when it's over, go Solid Snake on him. Follow him around in a cardboard box and see what kind of stuff he gets into :).

In my experience, it's a scam if you have to pay, if their address is at Yahoo or Gmail, if they respond with a link to their application, or if you think you're about to get a job.

If you are worried, tell us the company name, one of us CAGs may have encountered these crocks, if they are crocks. And if you want to see if the internet has seen them, just type "(Company name) Scam" on Google. I'm sure you will find something. Let me make this short because I need to go back to studying. I've heard of a company that brings you to Starbucks and asks you for a Credit Card for Identification and etc. That is just a no brainer. Why my credit card for identification? Are you trying to use my identity or use my information to threaten me?

The company was YOR. They used to sell Vonage like VOIP (Voice Over IP) phone service and now they went to a completely different service, selling vitamins and health products. Weird if you ask me. I really don't trust those guys and I've know people who fell into that trap. Buying their products trying to sell them to friends and family. It's a big pyramid scheme and if they ask you to go to Starbucks, fine go but if they ask you to buy products from them to sell or ask for private and personal information such as Social Security numbers and Credit Cards!? Get the EFFF out of there. Do the google thing, you won't regret it. If ONE person says they are a fraud or scam, you know you don't want to do something like that. And 1 more thing, if the salary or wages are TOO GOOD to be true, you are in a trap, most likely. Look at the economy and please don't think too highly of yourself if they are giving you a huge pay. Come to think of it, they are a two person company or something, I doubt they have the funds to pay you so much if they even are paying you enough.

Here is the company site:
http://www.objectivetech.net/

I already tried a google search about the company and can't find anything (which makes sense, because they are a startup company consisting of two guys that have only been in business for about 5-6 years). The president/founder also told me that he was a VP of another company prior to starting this business, which I managed to verify here:
http://www.echex.net/pages/company/press/021008.cfm

From the responses here, it sounds like I'm good. I kinda figured I was, but, in the back of my mind, I was wondering if people go through this much trouble and do elaborate scams like this. It would be pretty ridiculous, on their part, to go through so much trouble, so I'm sure I'm just being paranoid.

your SO# and your Bank #

raped.jpg

Do fake jobs postings go so far as to meet up for interviews, etc? I thought they were pretty much limited to Nigerian-type emails with poor grammar asking you to buy stuff for them and they'll reimburse you.

I'd more be worried about going to work for a company that has only two employees--but that's my own paranoia and not necessary a legitimate concern in your case.

[quote name='kevlar51']I'd more be worried about going to work for a company that has only two employees--but that's my own paranoia and not necessary a legitimate concern in your case.[/QUOTE]

Worried about how stable the company is and how long they may exist? Yeah, that is definitely a concern of mine. However, I'm straight out of college with little exeprience, so I kinda will take anything I can get. Even if it's not too stable, I just need some experience under my belt right now.

[quote name='dpatel']Worried about how stable the company is and how long they may exist? Yeah, that is definitely a concern of mine. However, I'm straight out of college with little exeprience, so I kinda will take anything I can get. Even if it's not too stable, I just need some experience under my belt right now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was referring to stability. And I also agree that sometimes it's OK to overlook that depending on need. It's always good to have experience on your resume, so it's probably a smart move.

[quote name='kevlar51']Do fake jobs postings go so far as to meet up for interviews, etc? I thought they were pretty much limited to Nigerian-type emails with poor grammar asking you to buy stuff for them and they'll reimburse you.[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain, but I got an e-mail a while back about a job I had applied to a few months before and never heard anything back from (shocker); it said they liked my resume and wanted me to come in for a group interview. It was supposedly a national company but their offices were one guy at a computer in the smallest room of an otherwise empty building. Their signs were hand-drawn arrows on printer paper and I was the only one there at this group meeting. Didn't stick around to talk to that guy.

[quote name='kevlar51']Yeah, I was referring to stability. And I also agree that sometimes it's OK to overlook that depending on need. It's always good to have experience on your resume, so it's probably a smart move.[/QUOTE]

This. I'd take a job tomorrow that I knew was going to go under Monday if I got a reference out of it.

Most people who are out to steal your identity don't put this much effort into it, you're far and away more likely to have issues being paid or having a whack job for a boss than being scammed at this point.

And if your parents are really worried they can buy a background check on the guy.

Oh and if at any point they want you to buy things (more than $20) with your personal credit card or cash on hand and promise to repay you later or start delaying your paycheck start looking for a new job. I've known more than a few people who've been burned by the ethics of small time business owners.

bread's done
Back