How to Make an American Job Before It's Too Late

Brillant. This will of course massively increase the price we pay for electronics but at least we"ll be able to afford the neccesities

I liked the article, but I could do without Grove himself. Read an article yesterday with him defending Intel's practices regarding AMD's complaints that I couldn't stomach.

Just saying "we need to back startups" isnt enough. Just because you make a bunch of startups doesnt mean squat really. And he is pointing to some startups like intel, sun and some other huge companies now. Sure they were originally just startups but they are like 1 in a million who actually become that big, chances of that happening is the same as winning the lottery.

Of course when you have money or are in a good financial situation its easy to make statements like he does because your not in the middle of it.

[quote name='gargus']Just saying "we need to back startups" isnt enough. Just because you make a bunch of startups doesnt mean squat really. And he is pointing to some startups like intel, sun and some other huge companies now. Sure they were originally just startups but they are like 1 in a million who actually become that big, chances of that happening is the same as winning the lottery.

Of course when you have money or are in a good financial situation its easy to make statements like he does because your not in the middle of it.[/QUOTE]

Basically the point of the article is that we do not really have an industrial policy (excepting the military).

Starting startups is all well and good but the problem seems to be keeping them here.

We more or less encourage industry to go overseas right now in the name of free trade, other countries don't make the same mistake.

Did anyone read the entire article? Grove suggest putting a tax on overseas goods.

He also doesn't just say startup's but mentions creating a desirable environment to scale up from that is good as well. The tax on overseas goods part pertains to the concerns on Outsourcing.

Reading about the money Foxconn has should be a giant red flag, especially when we know that to have a company in China the Chinese government must own 50% of the stock. Considering that big manufacturing facility is in China I'd say China is reaping a lot from those assets and we need to pull out as much of this manufacturing as possible.
We're feeding an extremely dangerous beast which threatens us all.

bread's done
Back