How to spot bootleg DS games.

Thanks for this, it's definately helpful. With all the contacts being black on bootleg DS games, it should be fairly easy to spot them.

[quote name='hohez']Already? DS has been out for going on 2 full years now.[/quote]
I didn't know. So far I've only bought new copies of DS games in stores like BB/Target/TRU/etc.

I don't see bootlegs being too much of a problem outside of eBay. Unless someone buys one off eBay, realizes it when they recieve the game, and try to exchange it at a legit store. I just checked anyway, all of mine are legit.

Damn, so Ebay's already a bad place to get your DS games... it's a pain to find GBA games on there so it's not exactly great news that I get to have more "let's pick out the bootlegs" fun with the DS... I just skimmed the article, but is "Nintondo" still prevalent?

Thanks OP.

I have yet to buy a DS game off Ebay, but I sometimes search for cheap prices on imported DS games. I might have to be a little more careful.

But I have good news.

I notice that bootleg GBA games are bevcomming less prevalent.

In fact, for many games most, if not all, copies on ebay are legit.

[quote name='hohez']Already? DS has been out for going on 2 full years now.[/QUOTE]

It's barely pass the year and a half mark, two years is pushing it.

[quote name='Stuka']I don't see bootlegs being too much of a problem outside of eBay. Unless someone buys one off eBay, realizes it when they recieve the game, and try to exchange it at a legit store. I just checked anyway, all of mine are legit.[/QUOTE]

oh trust me, they make it into retail stores. ive seen plenty of bootleg copies in gamestop (ive never taken any in and have informed my fellow employees on how to spot them). but weve had them transfered from other stores, attempted to be traded in, and even returned from somebody whos bought them at another store. so yeah, it can affect offline markets.

[quote name='iheartmetal']oh trust me, they make it into retail stores. ive seen plenty of bootleg copies in gamestop (ive never taken any in and have informed my fellow employees on how to spot them). but weve had them transfered from other stores, attempted to be traded in, and even returned from somebody whos bought them at another store. so yeah, it can affect offline markets.[/QUOTE]

That's Scary.

I've been checking on eBaY lately for DS games, and I am angry. I thought at first 20 different people were trying to get $23 for shipping, then realized they were all from hong kong! eBaY and Nintendo need to do something about this problem.

I wouldn't use label placement as the only factor. I have at least 2 official games where the label on the card is tilted.

-HM

[quote name='rabbitt']I've been checking on eBaY lately for DS games, and I am angry. I thought at first 20 different people were trying to get $23 for shipping, then realized they were all from hong kong! eBaY and Nintendo need to do something about this problem.[/quote]

Just because they are from Hong Kong doesn't necessarily mean they are bootlegs. There are plenty of legit sellers from there. Of course, there are plenty of pirates selling from there as well.

A lot of people overcharge on shipping. This is often to avoid eBay fees, or simply create the illusion of a cheaper auction. Overseas sellers also tend to overcharge on shipping, regardless of what country they're shipping from.

[quote name='iheartmetal']oh trust me, they make it into retail stores. ive seen plenty of bootleg copies in gamestop (ive never taken any in and have informed my fellow employees on how to spot them). but weve had them transfered from other stores, attempted to be traded in, and even returned from somebody whos bought them at another store. so yeah, it can affect offline markets.[/quote]
The sad thing is some eb employees just don't care if they're selling bootlegs. Once I spotted a copy of Mario Kart Advanced that had a totally diiffrent label than the other carts. It was even missing the ESRB symbol. I pointed this out to the clerk and his reply was "as long as it works".

[quote name='espy605']Just because they are from Hong Kong doesn't necessarily mean they are bootlegs. There are plenty of legit sellers from there. Of course, there are plenty of pirates selling from there as well.

A lot of people overcharge on shipping. This is often to avoid eBay fees, or simply create the illusion of a cheaper auction. Overseas sellers also tend to overcharge on shipping, regardless of what country they're shipping from.[/QUOTE]

Overcharging for shipping is a big problem. If I pay $20-sum dollars for shipping, it better arive here ten minutes after the auction ends.

[quote name='rabbitt']Overcharging for shipping is a big problem. If I pay $20-sum dollars for shipping, it better arive here ten minutes after the auction ends.[/quote]
If the final bid is $1, and shipping is $20, your total is $21. Other auctions might charge $4 for shipping with a final bid of $17, your total is still $21. To you, the buyer, this should make absolutely no difference.

You can't honestly expect to get a game at a heavily reduced price and then complain about inflated shipping costs if you compare total costs to similar eBay auctions. Additionally, the shipping costs are usually clearly explained and no one is forcing you to buy them.

[quote name='espy605']If the final bid is $1, and shipping is $20, your total is $21. Other auctions might charge $4 for shipping with a final bid of $17, your total is still $21. To you, the buyer, this should make absolutely no difference.

You can't honestly expect to get a game at a heavily reduced price and then complain about inflated shipping costs if you compare total costs to similar eBay auctions. Additionally, the shipping costs are usually clearly explained and no one is forcing you to buy them.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can. Its unfair the anyone else trying to sell a product on ebay.
If Im trying to sell my DS game for a BuyItNow of $15 with a Shipping of $4, I will not sell mine because the guy selling his for $4 BuyItNow and shipping of $20 will get his sold (Phew). Not only that, ebay will lose money on it his transaction (and many many others doing the same thing) and then our rates go up.

[quote name='Hollow Man']I wouldn't use label placement as the only factor. I have at least 2 official games where the label on the card is tilted.

-HM[/quote]

Yeah my castlevania dos game card's label is not as big as other DS games and it is tilted, but it WAS the employee of gamestop before I bought it (it was about a month after it was released, so I am not worried).

how about local Import Stores that sell those bootlegs? coz most of them are in boxes and shrink wrap unless you open.

[quote name='espy605']Just because they are from Hong Kong doesn't necessarily mean they are bootlegs. There are plenty of legit sellers from there. Of course, there are plenty of pirates selling from there as well.
[/QUOTE]

Agree there is one hong kong seller I have used for most of my import purchase not from playasia

as long as the game works, I wouldnt really have a problem if I received a bootleg game. It would probably just bring down the resale cost, but i suspect that bootleg games would not fetch the retail asking price in the first place

fuck me on a stick! I'm glad I found this thread (and thanks OP!), as I almost bit on a $24 (shipped) Xenosaga I&II DS cart from eBay.

Dammit, that was a cheap one, too!

[quote name='Quackzilla']
But I have good news.

I notice that bootleg GBA games are bevcomming less prevalent.

In fact, for many games most, if not all, copies on ebay are legit.[/QUOTE]

I just got two bootlegs off ebay two weeks ago. :( The seller has already been banned. :)

How to spot bootleg DS games the easy way.

If the game came out yesterday, and some guy from China has an English version on eBay already and it's 30-40% cheaper... its a bootleg.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']How to spot bootleg DS games the easy way.

If the game came out yesterday, and some guy from China has an English version on eBay already and it's 30-40% cheaper... its a bootleg.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't in English - only the price and location clued me in.

bread's done
Back