How will your 3DS improve your health care?

MrGranger

CAGiversary!
I'm really curious to find out what Satoru Iwata is talking about, but it's starting to seem that he's a nut.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/technology/nintendo-chief-announces-foray-into-health-care.html?_r=0

Maybe it's time for Satoru to step down?  If I were a shareholder I'd really be hoping for a vote.  I wish they put out the numbers because the article says that the "3DS hand-held devices languished", but they were selling like hot cakes here in the states.  Were the numbers in Japan that bad?

3DS sold very well. It just came in under nintendo's absurdly high sales projections for the year.

I can't see having any interest in the health stuff. I run, lift, have an elliptical, balance ball etc and the only fitness gadget I've had any use in buying is a gps watch to track my runs. All the pedometer stuff, tracker bracelets and so on just seem like gimmicks to maybe get some couch potatoes more cognizant of their inactivity, but useless for people already into fitness.

3DS sold very well. It just came in under nintendo's absurdly high sales projections for the year.

I can't see having any interest in the health stuff. I run, lift, have an elliptical, balance ball etc and the only fitness gadget I've had any use in buying is a gps watch to track my runs. All the pedometer stuff, tracker bracelets and so on just seem like gimmicks to maybe get some couch potatoes more cognizant of their inactivity, but useless for people already into fitness.
True...my bike is decked out so I monitor everything. Just need a video cam still and I'll be monitoring it 100%. And I do use GPS to track my running mileage but otherwise there isn't much I need. If you're weight training there isn't much I can imagine Nintendo could do. But I could see getting a WiiU for the wife if they come out with fitness videos that she likes. It's sometimes hard to get to the classes.

Sadly, there isn't much that will get people excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that it's cheaper to just buy fitness DVDs, stream them online, etc than to buy a game console for fitness apps.

It doesn't seem like Wii fit U is moving consoles so I think that craze is over. There's a lot better, and cheaper, fitness options than buying a game console.

At most the apps/games are an ok option for people who already own the console for gaming, not a reason to buy a console. So maybe Nintendo can make some money in software and accessories of they find a way to get people to buy the consoles for games I guess.

When Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver came out, Game Freak had a great idea with their Pokewalker Pedometer. For the following year I played the game, I walked a lot more often and got pretty fit.Despite the fact that the 3DS has a built in pedometer, it's a shame that games, especially Pokemon don't utilize it.

bread's done
Back