Hows this laptop for gaming?

Under 1k: lenovo y580 with i7 bluray 1080p with 660m (sale price)
Up to 1200: sager np9130 with free 670mx upgrade or msi gx60
Up to 1300: sager np9150 (gpu future upgradeable) or asus g series

Yah, im really leaning towards the msi gx60.

Anyone know if its possible to downgrade to windows 7? My buddy says he can get it for me for like $50 through his college.

I would head to the msi gx60 owner's lounge on notebookreview and ask them... they will tell you what they think pretty honestly...

You could also do one of msi's barebones notebooks. The force 16f3 will be very similar to the gx60 but with a 675mx and core i7 in it

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iamrealmogumogu1993']I 7 cpu would be better especially when playing online games :)[/QUOTE]

The i7 is the better processor, but neither of them are going to limit gaming in any way. They are both more than enough for any game on the market. You won't really see a gaming difference.

[quote name='itachiitachi']I second the recommendation of the y580, I got mine on sale from the outlet for $400.[/QUOTE]
You got a y580 for $400?? You're sure it's a y580?

Buddy of mine can get it for me at that price discount at a local computer shop

Basically its between that and g75vx right now. That would be 1050$ tho

[quote name='thegreatest']The i7 is the better processor, but neither of them are going to limit gaming in any way. They are both more than enough for any game on the market. You won't really see a gaming difference.[/QUOTE]

yes! you're right, by the way thanks for commenting

[quote name='ShockandAww']You got a y580 for $400?? You're sure it's a y580?[/QUOTE]
Yup. They had even cheaper ones during that sale with smaller HD and less ram.
[quote name='contradude']Lol scratch and dent maybe[/QUOTE]
Refurb.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Yup. They had even cheaper ones during that sale with smaller HD and less ram.

Refurb.[/QUOTE]

Damn, good deal. Congrats.

Ya think im gunna go with the asus. Bigger screen is kind of making me lean that way now, specially since im blind in one eye

[quote name='Kevbo887']Ya think im gunna go with the asus. Bigger screen is kind of making me lean that way now, specially since im blind in one eye[/QUOTE]

It will definitely perform better too.

[quote name='contradude']If it's got a 670m, the msi will pound it. If it's a 670mx then it's the better machine[/QUOTE]

Umm... the GTX 670m and GTX 670mx perform almost identically. I do believe it is the 670mx though which is slightly better. My guess, unnoticeably better.

[quote name='contradude']I thought the 670mx was pretty similar in performance to the old 675m... and a lot cooler running[/QUOTE]

All 3 perform almost identically. The 675m isn't "old" by any means and actually performs the best out of the 3, but it isn't even noticeable when actually gaming.

[quote name='Kevbo887']Now one last question. How future proof do you think the one with the 670mx is?[/QUOTE]

Very. I have a GTX 460m in my laptop and it plays 95% of the current games on ultra (ex. Tomb Raider) and games like BF3 and Crysis 3 on medium-high. The 460m is 3 years old and I am confident that if I don't upgrade (even though I am planning to) I will be able to play any game on the market for at least the next 2 or 3 years. Most likely low settings by then for the more demanding games like the Battlefield series or Crysis series, but still playable at 1080p resolution with at least 30fps.

The 670mx will probably last a good 5-6 years from now. Not playing games on ultra, but it will be able to run any game for the next 5-6 years most likely.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Damn, good deal. Congrats.[/QUOTE]
My point was more if you camp the outlets (dell and lenovo) you can find similar deals.

[quote name='itachiitachi']My point was more if you camp the outlets (dell and lenovo) you can find similar deals.[/QUOTE]

Yep I get it. I wasn't being sarcastic or anything if you thought I was. I really didn't believe you had gotten one for that low of a price. I got mine for $850 after rebate (all the extras aside from an SSD) back in August or so and thought I did good. $400 is awesome. Even anything under $550 is pretty unbelievable. My wife is looking for a new laptop so I may have to take up your suggestion and keep an eye out.

[quote name='contradude']Use the 150 you save to get a great mobile gaming mouse, headset and backpack to transport it[/QUOTE]

I always thought "mobile gaming mouse" was an oxymoron! Are there good mobile gaming mice out there?

[quote name='ShockandAww']Yep I get it. I wasn't being sarcastic or anything if you thought I was. I really didn't believe you had gotten one for that low of a price. I got mine for $850 after rebate (all the extras aside from an SSD) back in August or so and thought I did good. $400 is awesome. Even anything under $550 is pretty unbelievable. My wife is looking for a new laptop so I may have to take up your suggestion and keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]
No prob.
Though the deal I got is probably something that happens once every 6 months and it required not using the search features, you can find similar deal usually once every month or so.
Dell outlet tends to have it's similar model laptops(sr-15 and sr-17 i think the models are) on sale for about $600 every few months. Though I don't care for dell customer service.

Id recommend the m4 crucial msata 256gb for either, it tends to go on sales for $160.

Still havent bought one yet. Still debating between the msi gx60, the asus g75vx and the lenovo y500(sli). I know the y500 is coming out with a huge fix patch in April according to Nvidia forums. Dont know though!

The ASUS performs the best. The MSI is probably the most bang for your buck and the 2nd best performer. Don't buy the Lenovo. It's a nice machine, but for what you get the MSI or ASUS are better options.

bread's done
Back