How's working at EB Games?

ngxbox2004

CAGiversary!
Just curious:

There is a new shopping center being built close to my home. There is going be a Subway, Panda Express, Starbucks, Wendy's, Walgreens, EB Games, etc...

I currently work at Circuit City, been there for one year.

I was wondering, how is it working at EB Games? How much do they pay? What are some perks? Are hours flexible? I work Fridays, Sat, and Sun at CC, and would like those same days at EB... IF I were to apply. Etc...

Tell me all the good stuff and tell me all the bad stuff. Be HONEST!

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, I was hired on as temporary Christmas help (couldn't be anything more, brother worked at the same store and it'd be a "conflict of interest").

I was wondering, how is it working at EB Games? How much do they pay? What are some perks? Are hours flexible? I work Fridays, Sat, and Sun at CC, and would like those same days at EB... IF I were to apply. Etc...

I thought it was fun. You can't play games on the clock, obviously, but you can get paid to talk about them. They started me out at $6.50. You get 15% off new and used things, which is stackable with teh Edge card, which got me a total of 25% off. It's usually morning to afternoon or afternoon to night. Stores close at 9, but depending on the store, you'd stay and count the drawer down, vacuum, etc., so I never got out before 10:15.

Oh, and you get first dibs on games traded in. It's pretty fun, i'd say go for it.

Also since I have been working at CC for a year in the games department.... would I be able to, let's say, be able to apply for Assistant Manager.... or would I have to move my way up.

The reason I ask is that this new EB is closer to my home.... much closer. And also to try something new.

Also are there like "budgets" like you have to sell a certain amount and what not?

What's a typical day like?

[quote name='ngxbox2004']Also since I have been working at CC for a year in the games department.... would I be able to, let's say, be able to apply for Assistant Manager.... or would I have to move my way up.

The reason I ask is that this new EB is closer to my home.... much closer. And also to try something new.

Also are there like "budgets" like you have to sell a certain amount and what not?

What's a typical day like?[/quote]

if you want to apply for ASM then you can't work just Fri, Sat, and Sunday. They require you to work full time, so you have to work 40 hours a week. Otherwise if you just want to work the weekends, then you can only be part time. However some EBs require the Managers and ASM to work weekends so if you are part time you might just get 4 hours shifts or lower.

No, but you have a VOM (Vender of the Month). You should try to push their products as much as possible.

its a pretty fun job, very fast paced, you wont ever be bored. usually they promote people from within the company, so you would probably have to work your way up, but who knows since its a new store. have first dibs on trade ins is really good too. part timers get paid usually between $7 and 8$ dollars an hour, but you will end up making a lot more then that if you sell a lot of guarantees on games and systems. one of my paychecks over christmas was over $500 for one week, and i only got paid 7.50/hr. it was all for coverages on new systems.

[quote name='ngxbox2004']Also are there like "budgets" like you have to sell a certain amount and what not?

What's a typical day like?[/quote]

they have some goals that they try to push like preowned sales, quantity sold in a transaction, promotions/pre-sells sold etc. but the numbers won't cost you your job. if you are temporary help they will take the numbers into consideration when they are trying to decide who to keep out of the temp help. it was a great job though. it was the most enjoyable job i've had the pay was obviously not that great. also the employee discount doesn't stack on promotions and sales. at my EB i didn't get to play video games while on the clock, but managers at a lot of other EB's will let you get away with murder. i once saw an employee playing the xbox display, and talking on the cell phone while i was waiting for someone to ring me up. it's a good time for part-timers.

[quote name='cthcky33']its a pretty fun job, very fast paced, you wont ever be bored. usually they promote people from within the company, so you would probably have to work your way up, but who knows since its a new store. have first dibs on trade ins is really good too. part timers get paid usually between $7 and 8$ dollars an hour, but you will end up making a lot more then that if you sell a lot of guarantees on games and systems. one of my paychecks over christmas was over $500 for one week, and i only got paid 7.50/hr. it was all for coverages on new systems.[/quote]

So you actually get a percentage from the "insurance" sold?

[quote name='ngxbox2004'][quote name='cthcky33']its a pretty fun job, very fast paced, you wont ever be bored. usually they promote people from within the company, so you would probably have to work your way up, but who knows since its a new store. have first dibs on trade ins is really good too. part timers get paid usually between $7 and 8$ dollars an hour, but you will end up making a lot more then that if you sell a lot of guarantees on games and systems. one of my paychecks over christmas was over $500 for one week, and i only got paid 7.50/hr. it was all for coverages on new systems.[/quote]

So you actually get a percentage from the "insurance" sold?[/quote]

Probably...since its a total cash cow for the company. Here's a game (on a CD), new or used. We know it works fine now. If you give us $3 more, we'll replace it for free if you treat it like crap for a whole year. Bring it back and we'll replace it.

Since most people don't treat their games like crap (keep them in a case when not using them), they probably sell a lot more insurance than they really need. Besides, if you bring it back, they'll just try to resell it to someone else who they will hit up for the insurance.

Also, if you do need to replace the game, you have to come back into the store and will probably buy something else while you are there. Its a win win scenario for the game company.

Since most employees aren't totally stupid, they know its worthless and probably wouldn't waste most of their time pimping the insurance on people. In order to get them to do it, they pay you a premium to do it. It won't work on most gamers, but parents will buy that crap up like crazy.

Its a great scam....to bad I didn't think of it.

[quote name='ngxbox2004'][quote name='cthcky33']its a pretty fun job, very fast paced, you wont ever be bored. usually they promote people from within the company, so you would probably have to work your way up, but who knows since its a new store. have first dibs on trade ins is really good too. part timers get paid usually between $7 and 8$ dollars an hour, but you will end up making a lot more then that if you sell a lot of guarantees on games and systems. one of my paychecks over christmas was over $500 for one week, and i only got paid 7.50/hr. it was all for coverages on new systems.[/quote]

So you actually get a percentage from the "insurance" sold?[/quote]''

Yes. Employees get 12% of all system warrantys, and for every 2 GPG's you sell (insurance on games) you make $1.

On a good week, I make an extra $60 in spiffs.

I've been working for the company for about 30 months now...the job is always changing so it never gets boring. Work hard and you WILL be promoted. I started as a lowly part timer and now i'm a AS in training for my own store.

PM me (or ask here) if you have any specific questions. I'd be happy to help.

[quote name='Scahom1'][quote name='ngxbox2004'][quote name='cthcky33']its a pretty fun job, very fast paced, you wont ever be bored. usually they promote people from within the company, so you would probably have to work your way up, but who knows since its a new store. have first dibs on trade ins is really good too. part timers get paid usually between $7 and 8$ dollars an hour, but you will end up making a lot more then that if you sell a lot of guarantees on games and systems. one of my paychecks over christmas was over $500 for one week, and i only got paid 7.50/hr. it was all for coverages on new systems.[/quote]

So you actually get a percentage from the "insurance" sold?[/quote]''

Yes. Employees get 12% of all system warrantys, and for every 2 GPG's you sell (insurance on games) you make $1.

On a good week, I make an extra $60 in spiffs.

I've been working for the company for about 30 months now...the job is always changing so it never gets boring. Work hard and you WILL be promoted. I started as a lowly part timer and now i'm a AS in training for my own store.

PM me (or ask here) if you have any specific questions. I'd be happy to help.[/quote]

So they actually pay you. woh that is awesome. The thing that pisses me off about CC is they dont give you shit for every city advantage sold.... they just say "its part of the job" ...

So would they be able to give me Fri, Sat, and Sun to work (since I go to college M-Th) ... and how many hours.... also, if you become A.M. ... how many hours would they require you to work?

Almost every retail job experience boils down to "how cool are your co-workers/managers?" If they are good people, you'll be fine. If they're dicks, you'll want to burn the store down.

bread's done
Back