HTPC Alternative?

QiG

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
If anyone could help, here's what I'd like to figure out:

I have a desktop PC that I leave on 24/7. I already run TVersity to stream media to my PS3 in my living room and it works great. I used to have a 2nd PS3 in the bedroom that I would stream to as well, but I ended up selling it a while back. My question is, what can I use in my bedroom that can receive the signal from my PC?

Since I leave my desktop on at all times, and from what I understand, TVersity does the heavy work with the video processing so I am not looking to build an extravagent HTPC with a large HDD or all the bells and whistles, rather just something capable of receiving the stream. I was browsing newegg's "barebones / mini computer" section and it looks like I can grab something relatively cheap (just over $100) from them that would do the trick, but I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone else went a different route.

[quote name='QiG']If anyone could help, here's what I'd like to figure out:

I have a desktop PC that I leave on 24/7. I already run TVersity to stream media to my PS3 in my living room and it works great. I used to have a 2nd PS3 in the bedroom that I would stream to as well, but I ended up selling it a while back. My question is, what can I use in my bedroom that can receive the signal from my PC?[/QUOTE]

WD TV Live?

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Network-ready-Player-WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN/dp/B002KKFP9Y

- edit or ASUS O!Play?

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Play-Media-Player-Black/dp/B002MCZJ3C

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='QiG']Thanks, these are exactly the type of devices I was looking for.[/QUOTE]

No problem. If you do get one, please post your impressions. I've been looking into buying one of these for awhile now.

does that really work i am also having the same prob as above mentioned but sporadic i will try to look for what you mentioned THANX.

Both of those devices would do exactly what I want them to, and I'm glad to know that they exist but I gave it a lot of thought and came to the conclusion that I might be better off going a different route. I started piecing together what I would need for a bare minimum HTPC and I realized that I could get a lot more out of it for about $80 more upfront.

I was looking at this for a mini-computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119011 for about $100 and then slapping a gig of memory, my old PS3 HDD, a USB wireless dongle, a TV tuner dongle (so I could do away with my OTA HD converter box) and a USB IR Remote and it'd come up to about $180 which is still very much in the neighborhood of what one of those units would cost if you were going to set them up to be wireless as well. The plus side of those units is that they're basically plug and play, but that sometimes doesn't work out well for me if I run into any issues with the firmware/software that they require. That and I like having a choice of remote as well should I ever lose or break the original.

All the reviews I read on those units seemed generally positive and people were relaying the fact that they would just about any format they were throwing at it and that's definitely a plus. I think if you're looking to go the most budget and convinience route possible, they'd do just fine. When I make up my damn mind I'll definitely post back and report on how things turn out.

bread's done
Back