HUGE mistake on Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life, UPC scans as Wave Race:BS

Ugamer_X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Turns out that the UPC printed on the back of the box is for Wave Race: Blue Storm. If you can find the game at any retailer you will be paying for Wave Race, not Harvest Moon. Besides TRU, it doesn't seem like it's been spotted at any major retailers (BB, CC, Kmart).

OP:
Here's the deal, the new Harvest Moon was at my TRU today and the skn was keyed incorrectly in the system. When the game is scanned it shows up as Wave Race and the price is a penny. Stickers with the correct skn number were placed over all the copies at my store. However, the only way your local store will know about this is if a manager or world leader had recently checked the E-mails which explained the glitch and how to fix it. So, if you're lucky, check your TRU out and ask for a price check (or to buy) on Harvest Moon...It might be worth the effort.

[quote name='NeoStrider']wouldn't it be easier for TRU to just update their database with the correct sku & price?[/QUOTE]
It would...And if they had an everlasting, constantly updating database, I'm sure they would do that. ;)

How exactly would that work? I mean, do they sell enough games at a penny that they wouldn't blink at it? I could see me going in there and getting denied the sale (if it were applicable at my store) just on principle of selling a new game for $.01.

And yes, of course I am going right over there after I debate about getting the one and only copy of R6 3 for GC that was ever in the CC clearance bin.

[quote name='botticus']How exactly would that work? I mean, do they sell enough games at a penny that they wouldn't blink at it? I could see me going in there and getting denied the sale (if it were applicable at my store) just on principle of selling a new game for $.01.

And yes, of course I am going right over there after I debate about getting the one and only copy of R6 3 for GC that was ever in the CC clearance bin.[/QUOTE]
Once an employee becomes aware of the problem, they are supposed to contact a manager and have it fixed. I couldn't see a store selling more than one copy at a penny.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Once an employee becomes aware of the problem, they are supposed to contact a manager and have it fixed. I couldn't see a store selling more than one copy at a penny.[/QUOTE]

Well by God, then I will be that one copy since none of the stores in this rather populous area are frequented that much. Too bad I didn't know about this two hours ago, I just bought Medabots there.

[quote name='bradr']What's a world leader at TRU?[/QUOTE]

Department head.

I grabbed Eternal Darkness for a penny a few days ago. We were pulling down old fixtures from the greet tag sale last year for the new one and there it was. Not in invetory or anything. So, it be mine. For $0.01. I'll have to check this one out when I go in for my next shift.

[quote name='fieldkillah']This apparently was a problem at EB also (HM ringing up as wave race)[/QUOTE]
You know, I was going to post that the skn mixup was in effect for all stores when I found out about it...But then I thought it was just for TRU's because of how it was keyed into the system.

My initial thoughts of the UPC being incorrectly printed may be true.

Damn...I wanted to be the one to break this deal for a chance. It's OK though, since I came home with a copy of the game. The managers at my store didn't know about the deal, so the employees bought all 4 copies at my store. :)

KongaKing, Harvest Moon is ringing up as Waverace Bluestorm..if you haven't heard of it, don't worry, you didn't miss anything.

Maybe I should go there and pick up 2 copies of the game... one for my Harvest Moon-obsessed friend, and one to trade to a Harvest Moon-obsessed person who happens to have a copy of Capcom vs. SNK 2 for the Gamecube.

Alright, after reading this thread, I remembered a phone conversation I overheard while I was at gamecrazy today. The store manager was calling into their corporate office saying that Harvest Moon was scanning as Wave Race. I didn't really think anything of it at the time, but after reading this, it sparked my memory.

This is odd. Somebody should try shopping around to see which stores sell Wave Race for like $10-$15 so it won't seem as odd when it rings up cheap.

And pick me up a copy if you can...

Damn, that is crazy! My TRU knows me because I only show up and buy items that ring up cheap or a penny, SSSSOOOO, they MAY let this slide if they haven't caught it. So far, the managers have yet to question any of my purchases so far, just tell employees "it's fine, it's fine," not giving what I try to buy much of a look. Obviously, this is quite different, as it is a brand new game not a PS1 game or a strategy guide, but the managers are girls who don't seem to play video games at all...so I think I'll be back shortly. ^_~

***They didn't have the game at all, so they either caught it and just removed it or they never had it to begin with. Ah well, 10 minutes wasted, no biggie. ^_^

Bleh...I'm sure they'll have fixed this by morning, so I doubt this well result in any near-free copies of Harvest Moon AWL.

Of course, I kinda don't think they'd let it slide, anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Here's the deal, the new Harvest Moon was at my TRU today and the skn was keyed incorrectly in the system. When the game is scanned it shows up as Wave Race and the price is a penny. Stickers with the correct skn number were placed over all the copies at my store. However, the only way your local store will know about this is if a manager or world leader had recently checked the E-mails which explained the glitch and how to fix it. So, if you're lucky, check your TRU out and ask for a price check (or to buy) on Harvest Moon...It might be worth the effort.[/QUOTE]

Found a copy! Thanks Ugamer_X!

[quote name='Ugamer_X']It would...And if they had an everlasting, constantly updating database, I'm sure they would do that. ;)[/QUOTE]

My local TRU is old. The monitors are about 7 inches or so and monochrome at the checkout counter. So I wonder how bad the computers for the store are.

[quote name='botticus']How exactly would that work? I mean, do they sell enough games at a penny that they wouldn't blink at it? I could see me going in there and getting denied the sale (if it were applicable at my store) just on principle of selling a new game for $.01.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Is this the GBA or the GCN version?
By the way, this is the new version where you play as a girl. I'm not sure how much I'll play it since I'm a guy.

EDIT: my bad. i just realized that "Another Wonderful Life" is the GCN version.

My TRU is on the ticket system, so there's a REMOTE chance they haven't cheked it yet (especially if the normal R Zone guy isn't there" so I'll try later today...damn job.....

That'd be one sweet deal, methinks, for a game I want.

[quote name='EndlessChris']This is odd. Somebody should try shopping around to see which stores sell Wave Race for like $10-$15 so it won't seem as odd when it rings up cheap.

And pick me up a copy if you can...[/QUOTE]

This is the best method, if you want this game. Wonder what the trade value is for it at Gamerush, minus the artwork? Hit up your local wal-mart and buy a couple copies before they catch on....

My girlfriend checked TRU today... they didn't even get the game in yet.

When do they usually get in new releases??

EDIT: Neither did Best Buy, Circuit City, or Wal - Mart... I'm not wasting time checking EB / Gamestop since they are quick to catch these things.

[quote name='$hady']This is the best method, if you want this game. Wonder what the trade value is for it at Gamerush, minus the artwork? Hit up your local wal-mart and buy a couple copies before they catch on....[/QUOTE]

So this is ringing up .01 at more than just TRU? Wal-Mart also?

Did a quick trip out and didn't see any copies at TRU, BestBuy, CC, or Kmart.

I took a printout of the UPC for waverace with me, though and that still scans at $0.01 at TRU.

The UPC for waverace also scans as $4.99 at Kmart for anyone who might be able to find a copy there.

[quote name='clariste']So this is ringing up .01 at more than just TRU? Wal-Mart also?[/QUOTE]

Apparently this is everywhere... my girlfriend tried out EB just for the hell of it, who told her they fixed the SKU this morning before they opened.

K-Mart will be your best bet to grab this... you may have to pay 4.99, as listed above, but I really believe they either won't catch the error, or they just won't care. They have no clue what new games have come out so they'll probably assume 4.99 is the price and they didn't change the price tag.

[quote name='Friedle']I'm sure everything was fixed. Updates like that are downloaded by corporate overnight.[/QUOTE]

I think they'd have to manually stick on another UPC sticker, or just take Wave Race out of the system -- since the problem is the same UPC.

[quote name='purevim']I think they'd have to manually stick on another UPC sticker, or just take Wave Race out of the system -- since the problem is the same UPC.[/QUOTE]

That's true.

Isn't there some sort of process to make sure you don't wind up with the same UPC of another product that's related?

[quote name='purevim']I think they'd have to manually stick on another UPC sticker, or just take Wave Race out of the system -- since the problem is the same UPC.[/QUOTE]

You're right they do have to do something like that. It happen to me when I bought a collectors edition dvd that was ringing up as regular edition at Target awhile back that had a similar problem. I hope none of the store around had caught on yet.

[quote name='clariste']So this is ringing up .01 at more than just TRU? Wal-Mart also?[/QUOTE]

No it'll ring up as whatever that store sells wave race for, it's go twr's upc code. Just find a store that sells it for cheap.

[quote name='Maklershed']Which new Harvest Moon are we talking about here? More Friends of Mineral Town or Its Another Wonderful Life?[/QUOTE]
Does the thread title not say "Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life"?

[quote name='Maklershed']Which new Harvest Moon are we talking about here? More Friends of Mineral Town or Its Another Wonderful Life?[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to the last guy he's a big joker! OP was refering to "More Friends of Mineral Town"

bread's done
Back