"Huge" PC news coming today. - via IGN

There's a certain impact, but as long as Will Wright is still developing games in the industry, most people will see little difference.

[quote name='flizmo007']Will Wright Leaving Maxis
The creator of SimCity, The Sims, and Spore has a new entertainment think tank.

Huge news?[/QUOTE]

It's big enough... who else is EA going to look for using the same idea and producing 10,000 like ideas and selling it for 29.99 as expansions....

I wonder if Wright will make another company and say fuck EA. Maybe then he'll get back to where he was great.

This is somehow huge news?

Huge news would be a new Blizzard game, or new Half Life 3 announcement, etc.

Most people don't even know who Will Wright is.

[quote name='mtxbass1']This is somehow huge news?

Huge news would be a new Blizzard game, or new Half Life 3 announcement, etc.

Most people don't even know who Will Wright is.[/QUOTE]

Granted this generations xbox/ps3 crowd won't, but all PC gamers know of Will Wright. The real gamers. not those, I just play D2 and I tried playing halo once.

[quote name='xycury']Granted this generations xbox/ps3 crowd won't, but all PC gamers know of Will Wright. The real gamers. not those, I just play D2 and I tried playing halo once.[/quote]

OK, but that still doesn't make this a big story. In related Huge News, Ken Levine considered a BLT for lunch but went with soup, and Peter Molyneaux announced that he has plans for the greatest promise ever made by a developer not to overhype his future announcements.

Will Wright isn't responsible for the endless Sims expansion packs. EA literally has an entire Sims division doing that stuff.

AFAIK, he stopped directly working on The Sims after the first one (just like he wasn't one of the principle SimCity 4 devs)

It would be huge news if they came out saying Will Wright is leaving EA and moving to Blizzard/Valve. Now that would be huge.

Turns out the think tank is in co-operation with EA, and they (EA) still get rights to make games from their (Stupid Fun Club) ideas. Effectively, there's no major shake-up here, just that he can now also develop ideas for non-video game mediums as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good.

Ever since his company got eaten up by EA, it's creativity has gone down the shitter. Bring back the Sim City ~ Sim City 2000 years!

It's huge news because the reason Spore turned out like it did is because he was at EA. Now he won't have corporate influence.

[quote name='Sokkratez']It's huge news because the reason Spore turned out like it did is because he was at EA. Now he won't have corporate influence.[/quote]
That's not really being fair to EA. From everything I've read, Will Wright was given free reign over Spore. And given the fact that Spore was allowed to be in production for so long should be proof of this.

And this really isn't huge news. It's a bit surprising but not really earth shattering. A lot of developers have lost key people and still manage to do just fine.

It's huge news because they want a lot of hits on their site. Heck, if it were up to them then anything would be considered huge news. Besides, they shouldn't post something like that unless it's something they have the exclusive dig on. Almost every video game-related site from the get-go reported on this when it was announced.

this isn't even a change.. he's still basically working for EA.. nothing's changed

even if something did change, it's certainly not huge news.. even if he were fired or something, it's not even small news..

ign.. yawn..

[quote name='Serik']Will Wright isn't responsible for the endless Sims expansion packs. EA literally has an entire Sims division doing that stuff.

AFAIK, he stopped directly working on The Sims after the first one (just like he wasn't one of the principle SimCity 4 devs)[/QUOTE]

That was my point. Will had an idea, EA ran with it and made 10,000 more expansions of stated same idea with little to no variation.

If he's just moving across town with EA still overseeing... what's the point? pretty lame IGN.

That isnt huge news at all. Granted I'm not a pc gamer, although i think using the term "real gamer" doesnt make much sense.

The rest of us are faking it? Nope, just more casual on the pc end is all.

[quote name='Weedy649']That isnt huge news at all. Granted I'm not a pc gamer, although i think using the term "real gamer" doesnt make much sense.

The rest of us are faking it? Nope, just more casual on the pc end is all.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, probably what I meant, but I wouldn't call a person that plays 1 or 2 games a gamer.

The point is that the libraries on the PS3 and X360 are 100% casual games, while there actually are hardcore games on the PC.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']The point is that the libraries on the PS3 and X360 are 100% casual games, while there actually are hardcore games on the PC.[/QUOTE]
Ahahaha, what?

Honestly... I know I will get flamed for this... but Will Wright is one of the most overrated game developers ever. Sure, I mean The Sims is a great game, and Sim City was pretty darn good also. However, he simply hasn't made any entertaining in a long while.

Heh, one of my first games that I played was Sim City for the Snes. That addiction grew exponentially when Sim City 4(000?) came out a couple of years ago.

As for Wright "leaving" EA... so what? And as was said, his new group is still going to work "intimately close" to EA, so is there even a bit of freedom that was gained from this, and what form will that take? Is Will Wright trying to create the new RAND Corporation or something, or will this just be the EA's personal Bitch-tank?

bread's done
Back