Huge Wii Bundle at Wal-Mart for $680

dude, i did the math, you don't save anything, if you pay regular price for everything it comes out to the same price, where is the deal???? they just force you to buy a ton of stuff just to get a wii,

wii system $250
accessory $20
wii play $40 (is the price you can find it for, but could pay $50)
nunchuck $20
mario party 8 $50
six games $280 (because i count ghost squad which is $30, every other game i
picked retails for $50)

do the math that's $660 plus tax, they could have atleast thrown in an accessory or too, wtf???

[quote name='lowbgt']dude, i did the math, you don't save anything, if you pay regular price for everything it comes out to the same price, where is the deal???? they just force you to buy a ton of stuff just to get a wii,

wii system $250
accessory $20
nunchuck $20
mario party 8 $50
picked retails for $50)

do the math that's $660 plus tax, they could have atleast thrown in an accessory or too, wtf???[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that noone wants to buy games at full price. You might be better off buying a Wii at an inflated price on Ebay than this overpriced bundle.

[quote name='lowbgt']dude, i did the math, you don't save anything, if you pay regular price for everything it comes out to the same price, where is the deal???? they just force you to buy a ton of stuff just to get a wii,

wii system $250
accessory $20
nunchuck $20
mario party 8 $50
picked retails for $50)

do the math that's $660 plus tax, they could have atleast thrown in an accessory or too, wtf???[/QUOTE]
They don't have to throw in anything, Wii is sold out everywhere. People would buy the bundle even if it was above MSRP.

I have never understood why American retailers don't just sell the wii way over retail and get rid of these stupid bundles. Is there a law against being over retail? Because its simple supply and demand, if there is more demand than supply, raise the price until demand catches up and make a killing.

I thought Wal Mart was supposed to be the low price leader. I understand bundling to make a profit but to call yourself the low price and force a $700+ bundle on consumers that usually can bearly afford the system itself is reprehensible. It's cool if you put a extra controller and a game or two but to force folks to buy some other accessory they probably don't want and six more games is just wrong if you are going to call yourself the "low price leader". IMHO. Shame on Wal-Mart.

I bought my Wii with this same bundle a while back, I returned everything extra to my local walmart store and they credited it back to my card.

Wii costs $330 after $40 shipping and another $40 in taxes. Kind of sucks, but if you're too lazy to camp at stores like I was, this is probably the easiest way to get one.

Edit: Forgot about taxes being refunded when you return stuff, it should be ~$310 for the Wii if you return everything.

[quote name='Draugr']I bought my Wii with this same bundle a while back, I returned everything extra to my local walmart store and they credited it back to my card.

Wii costs $330 after $40 shipping and another $40 in taxes. Kind of sucks, but if you're too lazy to camp at stores like I was, this is probably the easiest way to get one.

Edit: Forgot about taxes being refunded when you return stuff, it should be ~$310 for the Wii if you return everything.[/quote]

that's not too bad, such a pain to get one. now if i only had $200 more, i would so do that. :cry:

damn you low-price leader that is walmart for that high price

I think I might try that returning everything like draugr said whats the worst that could happen.

[quote name='portcityplaya']I thought Wal Mart was supposed to be the low price leader. I understand bundling to make a profit but to call yourself the low price and force a $700+ bundle on consumers that usually can bearly afford the system itself is reprehensible. It's cool if you put a extra controller and a game or two but to force folks to buy some other accessory they probably don't want and six more games is just wrong if you are going to call yourself the "low price leader". IMHO. Shame on Wal-Mart.[/QUOTE]

First of all, Walmart has not been the low price leader for quite a while. Secondly, they seem consistently overpriced in their videogames section. Third, it's easy to pawn off a bunch of stuff on people because the Wii is in high demand. It's a smart business move for them.

[quote name='Sulik2']I have never understood why American retailers don't just sell the wii way over retail and get rid of these stupid bundles. Is there a law against being over retail? Because its simple supply and demand, if there is more demand than supply, raise the price until demand catches up and make a killing.[/QUOTE]

They aren't allowed, which is one reason they sell bundles.

They sell bundles, NOT to help you save money...but to GUARANTEE that the store sells games a long with the Wii. Since the Wii is in such high demand, they know that forcing people to purchase games a long with it won't hurt, since they sell out every time, regardless of price/bundle.

[quote name='Sulik2']I have never understood why American retailers don't just sell the wii way over retail and get rid of these stupid bundles. Is there a law against being over retail? Because its simple supply and demand, if there is more demand than supply, raise the price until demand catches up and make a killing.[/QUOTE]

I think it is legal. However, it would likely be some sort of breach of contract with manufacturers. In other words, the risk is in being sued over a breach of contract, as well as the risk that you will find yourself to be the only retailer in American who no longer receives Wii (ps3, etc) systems from the manufacturer.

[quote name='chosen1s']I think it is legal. However, it would likely be some sort of breach of contract with manufacturers. In other words, the risk is in being sued over a breach of contract, as well as the risk that you will find yourself to be the only retailer in American who no longer receives Wii (ps3, etc) systems from the manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

I don't think its legal. It falls under "price gouging" laws I believe. It would be like people charging like $10 a gallon for gas when there is a crisis in a city or something....but those laws might only include items deemed "essential" goods.

[quote name='chosen1s']I think it is legal. However, it would likely be some sort of breach of contract with manufacturers. In other words, the risk is in being sued over a breach of contract, as well as the risk that you will find yourself to be the only retailer in American who no longer receives Wii (ps3, etc) systems from the manufacturer.[/quote]

this is more or less correct.

[quote name='jousley']I don't think its legal. It falls under "price gouging" laws I believe. It would be like people charging like $10 a gallon for gas when there is a crisis in a city or something....but those laws might only include items deemed "essential" goods.[/quote]

It is not the same as price gouging. Price Gouging does only applies to essential items. Gas during a crisis is not the same as a video game system for Xmas. Most folks NEED gas. Noboby needs a Video Game system.

Also the manufacturers price is a suggested retail price. They do run the risk of not get as many from the manufacturer in the future because they are trying to take advantage of the situation and it makes the manufacturer look bad. Bundling keeps the price for the unit at the manufacturers suggested price and ensures a large profit from the games and accessories etc. That is where most of the profit is for retailers. Most retailers make minimal profit on systems.

Just FYI, this bundle goes in and out of stock all day every day. If you're interested in snagging one there are sites out there that check Wii stock and have RSS feeds or TXT message alerts. Wiitracker.com is one example.

So can you return the games and get your card credited back? My brother is looking for a Wii, but I dont think he wants to wait in line.

RE: drfunk85

yes, you can return everything else. I've gotten 2 wii bundles thru this "deal;" one last year and one a few weeks ago. last year my wife went in with the shipping receipts and the games we didn't want and got a handful of cash back...I haven't returned the games for the one i got recently yet, but I'm gonna guess it's the same. the packing slips in the shipping packages say you can return things bought online in store...the shipping stinks, but it's better than camping at a store sat nite / sunday morning...

[quote name='langdon_alger']RE: drfunk85

yes, you can return everything else. I've gotten 2 wii bundles thru this "deal;" one last year and one a few weeks ago. last year my wife went in with the shipping receipts and the games we didn't want and got a handful of cash back...I haven't returned the games for the one i got recently yet, but I'm gonna guess it's the same. the packing slips in the shipping packages say you can return things bought online in store...the shipping stinks, but it's better than camping at a store sat nite / sunday morning...[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to make double sure.

walmart just plain pisses me off, it's like the commerical's they have for the ps3 or ipod, "did you know that you can get a ps3 for the walmart price, that's amazing" yeah $399 just like every other place or my other favorite "they have ipod's at walmart?" yeah, it's funny how you couldn't afford one for $150 at best buy but since it's at walmart i can do it, stupid, that's why i hate wally world

[quote name='glen77777']Not to mention that noone wants to buy games at full price. You might be better off buying a Wii at an inflated price on Ebay than this overpriced bundle.[/quote]

The bundle isn't overpriced. Costly, yes. Overpriced, no.

During the summer, this was also the only way I could buy a Wii. Fortunately, the bundle had very cheap shipping, like $5. As others have mentioned I just returned all the stuff I didn't want. (I think the girl working at the returns desk was new because she even refunded my $5 shipping!)

The only thing I couldn't return was this steering wheel controller that came with it. I had no desire to keep the wheel since I know Mario Kart Wii will come with a nice Nintendo version. Unfortunately, the UPC for the wheel was not in their system and they told me I couldn't have bought that at Walmart. Weird.

bread's done
Back