Humble Bundle #2 (Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans)

[quote name='theeye']"Amazon Flexible Payments Service" has fees at the receiving end too. Your best bet should be to buy one copy at 0.01 or 0.00 so that fees on copy 2 should be max of 1cent.[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, but wouldn't paypal/amazon still charge them for the transaction even if the transaction is less than what they charge? If all else fails I'll just give them an extra dollar to offset the charges

[quote name='theeye']"Amazon Flexible Payments Service" has fees at the receiving end too. Your best bet should be to buy one copy at 0.01 or 0.00 so that fees on copy 2 should be max of 1cent.[/QUOTE]

That's weird. I've been using Amazon Payments for a year now to receive money with no fees at all

There could be more then one account type. If you search for "Amazon Flexible Payments Service" you will find the costs overall seem to be better rates with amazon.

This website is dedicated to buying things we don't need. Everyone is here because they have money they can afford to spend on things they don't need. Everyone here can afford more than a dollar.

I always find it amusing how people who would probably NEVER donate to charity suddenly become so ferocious in their attempts to admonish those that didn't pay what they consider to be "enough" for these humble indie bundles (especially on the forums of a site dedicated to CHEAP gamers).

Easy there, white knights. If you care about charity, there are better, more direct ways of helping the needy if you are so inclined.

By the way, I paid 10$ and gave 100% to the developers.

[quote name='ZimbuTheMonkey']I always find it amusing how people who would probably NEVER donate to charity[/QUOTE]

And you know this how? Seems like you are making an assumption to support what you want to believe, i.e., fitting facts to a preconceived theory.

I think most people here are cheap when it comes to themselves and less so when it comes to others. We spend more on gifts and we give to charity. The CAG Fund seems to be doing all right.

The only game of this bundle that interests me is that Revenge of the Titans. I already own Braid on Steam, but I suppose a few dollars to plunk down on this bundle to try that Titans game could be worth it. Plus, I never really got into the demo of Machinarium, but this should give me a good excuse to give it another go.

[quote name='illennium']And you know this how? Seems like you are making an assumption to support what you want to believe, i.e., fitting facts to a preconceived theory.

I think most people here are cheap when it comes to themselves and less so when it comes to others. We spend more on gifts and we give to charity. The CAG Fund seems to be doing all right.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

It's amazing how something so simple can cause so much flak between people. I paid $8. That's a price that works for me, considering how much money I have in the bank, and the fact that I own a couple of these games. I'm not gonna get into the argument of perceived value, moral obligations, and piracy.

Please don't pirate the games.
Please don't be greedy.

'Nuff said.

Shoot. Of the 3 I've gotten downloaded so far Cortex Command and Braid wouldn't play. And I have no idea why. I must need to update something, frickin' computer. This is why I stick with consoles.

Oh well, Osmos is good, in that evil physics puzzle kind of way.

I dropped in $3.00. Before everyone tells me how horrible of a person I am, I did the same thing last year and didn't play a single one of the games I bought. I'm not interested in any of these games outside of Braid and I already own it on Steam. Sooooooo, to me, it's like tossing money into the salvation army bucket outside of Walmart. Whatever I can spare is what they get because I don't want their games and I already have three charities I donate to yearly that get 99.9% of my charitable contributions.

If Amnesia had been part of the bundle I would have went $10 or so, since I actually want that game.

It's a pay what you want sale, so you can pay whatever amount you want. Yeah, it'd be great if you donate enough to give them some amount of money after paypal fees, but I don't think we need all this debate about "you must pay $x or you're a cheap bastard". Pay whatever you'd like. Even a dollar is better than nothing, and you can always go back and give more money to the developers or charities later if you find out the games are more awesome than you thought and feel like they deserve more money from you.

So, perhaps onward to more interesting discussion of the games and the deal, and less of scrutinizing our fellow cags?

I don't know if anyone else tried installing in linux, but I thought I'd share a few tips for those that are interested. The deb files are pretty straight forward, but I encountered an error with Revenge of the Titans, which is fixed by running "sudo mkdir -p /opt/revengeofthetitans/full_length_music/" first. As for the non-debs, if you run them with "sudo" and select to install in the directory that's not in your home directory, it will add items to your menu to launch the games. Overall, I am impressed with the multi-platform support.

for Ubuntu / Linux Mint users

the the .bin linux installs you can always just go to the directory the game is in in the terminal

for example installing braid

make sure the .bin file is stored in your home folder for convenience otherwise you'll have to use the cd command to change to the directory the .bin installer file is in.

open Terminal

type in the command su (this command will log you in as root for the terminal session) you will be prompted to enter a password which will be the same password you use to log into the machine )

Run the command " chmod 777 braid-linux.run.bin " (no quotation marks) this command grants all users on the machine read , write , and execution permissions for the installer file.

Now use the command exit to log off the machine as root in the terminal session and to continue using terminal as a standard user

Run the command " ./braid-linux.run.bin " ( no quotations ) and it'll bring up a GUI installation prompt. Run through the installer and make sure it installs the game files in /home/user/braid. for example if your user name was bob it'd be /home/bob/braid

voilà , you can now play braid on Ubuntu. However this doesn't apply only to Braid, You can install all the .bin file extension games in the humble indie bundle 1 and 2 following these same steps but just change the filename of the game you want to install. I'll explain the tar.gz ones also if I have to but I would like to save that for a future post.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='avwjase']I dropped in $3.00. Before everyone tells me how horrible of a person I am, I did the same thing last year and didn't play a single one of the games I bought. I'm not interested in any of these games outside of Braid and I already own it on Steam. Sooooooo, to me, it's like tossing money into the salvation army bucket outside of Walmart. Whatever I can spare is what they get because I don't want their games and I already have three charities I donate to yearly that get 99.9% of my charitable contributions.

If Amnesia had been part of the bundle I would have went $10 or so, since I actually want that game.[/QUOTE]

You paid more than a dollar, so I don't think anyone will admonish you (unless the rates have changed to $5, which I doubt).

Personally, I wanted Osmos, but thought it was only for the iPod/iPhone/iPad. Glad this bundle came out and thus, I pitched in $5. Pitched in another $5 later as a gift for a friend.

I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for 'indie game developers'. They're getting to make games for a living, that's their reward. A lot of people would do that for ramen and a roof over their heads.

I gave 20 bucks, for sick kids.

Went in for $20.00.

Don't even think my connection will let me download it, I'll probably just give it to a CAG in the end.

This thread looks like it's way past the point of no return but I just want to say how awesome Osmos is. Feels good to support a good cause and get sweet games in return.

As long as you bought them, you can access them whenever you want right?

Bought it and downloaded the games a few days ago, but my cpu crashed, and I'm getting a new one from Amazon next week-ish.

Hoping I could still re-download the games after the deal has expired, since I already purchased it anyway.

[quote name='unclenebber']I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for 'indie game developers'. They're getting to make games for a living, that's their reward. A lot of people would do that for ramen and a roof over their heads.

I gave 20 bucks, for sick kids.[/QUOTE]

fuck you buddy. "They're getting to make games for a living" is bullshit. Many indie developers (including myself) work other full time jobs and do this on the side. You act like indie developers get paid a lot for what they do.

Newsflash: MOST indie developers fund titles themselves. They aren't paid by anyone until a title sells and even then someone else usually gets a cut. It costs money to hire contracted artists, etc. If your game doesn't sell, you don't eat. Hell, even if you game does sell, you don't eat.

[quote name='mtxbass1']fuck you buddy. "They're getting to make games for a living" is bullshit. Many indie developers (including myself) work other full time jobs and do this on the side. You act like indie developers get paid a lot for what they do.

Newsflash: MOST indie developers fund titles themselves. They aren't paid by anyone until a title sells and even then someone else usually gets a cut. It costs money to hire contracted artists, etc. If your game doesn't sell, you don't eat. Hell, even if you game does sell, you don't eat.[/QUOTE]
Reminds me of Art Majors
:lol:

Hehe,
i just noticed.
Notch gave 2,000 dollars.
He is the most succesful indie game developer i know [that really does not say much cause i dont know any devs] when he created that Minecraft game.

[quote name='unclenebber']I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for 'indie game developers'. They're getting to make games for a living, that's their reward. A lot of people would do that for ramen and a roof over their heads.

I don't know if you're trolling, but if you're not, that's a really fucked up attitude. Indie developers need your support more than a major company that has the financing to deal with a flop. Your money isn't going for some sort of "reward", it's going so that they have a roof over their heads.

They got $10 from me. I love supporting indie developers, but I give more of my money to the translation groups whom take years of their spare time translating my favorite games (mainly RPGs).

Hey everybody, I just want to confirm you're eventually going to be able to activate the Humble Indie Bundle #2 on Steam, just like the first. So, if that's an extra sweetness anyone was looking for, yeah, it'll be happening eventually.

However, unless Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans get added to Steam soon, those won't be part of what you get when you activate on Steam. You'll just get the ones that ARE on Steam (Braid, Osmos, Machinarium).

Still, awesome bonus.

For those of you playing Revenge of the Titans, a new build have been uploaded on the HIB2 download page. (old build 99.7MB, new build 60.1MB)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Hey everybody, I just want to confirm you're eventually going to be able to activate the Humble Indie Bundle #2 on Steam, just like the first. So, if that's an extra sweetness anyone was looking for, yeah, it'll be happening eventually.

However, unless Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans get added to Steam soon, those won't be part of what you get when you activate on Steam. You'll just get the ones that ARE on Steam (Braid, Osmos, Machinarium).

Still, awesome bonus.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I really hope you're not serious. Because if you are, then...I don't know, you'd just be stupid, ignorant, or both.

I already have Braid, Machinarium, and Osmos but I donated $10. I've played the demo for Revenge of the Titans before and it seems really cool.

Just a heads up. On Twitter, they've been teasing that there's a surprise in the works for hitting the $1 million mark. Well, if this reddit link posted on NeoGAF can be trusted, it sounds like the surprise is that they're going to start distributing the Steam tie-in stuff on Sunday morning. All current owners of the HIB2 will get Steam keys, and they'll give keys to new buyers until they run out.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/eo9v3/hibundle_2_steam_tiein_confirmed_check_url/

Steam has agreed to let bundle purchasers activate their Humble Indie Bundle 2 games on Steam. Braid, Osmos and Machinarium can be activated right now and Steam told us that the keys get users a subscription so that they can add Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans to their accounts when the games become available on Steam later.

We are in the process of adding the Steam keys to the Humble Indie Bundle 2 site. Purchasers aren't aware that any of this is happening yet. Everyone who has already purchased the bundle will be given a Steam key and new purchasers will also get keys until we run out.

It's definitely interesting (heartening) to see how Valve treats developers, publishers, and users in comparison to the other major industry players.

That isn't to say that they aren't all businesses out to make a buck but Valve just tends to go out of their way to not be a dick about stuff. *thumbswayup*

i dont like playing with a keyboard, and im not really a PC gamer outside of Spore.

will a wired 360 controller work to play these if i buy them?

[quote name='mtxbass1']? How do you access them?[/QUOTE]

Go to your e-mail and click the link to download the games. On that page, you'll see "You can now redeem your Humble Indie Bundle #2 games on Steam and Desura!"

and click and redeem!

[quote name='Drclaw411']i dont like playing with a keyboard, and im not really a PC gamer outside of Spore.

will a wired 360 controller work to play these if i buy them?[/QUOTE]
It works on Braid. Not sure about the others.

[quote name='kilm']Go to your e-mail and click the link to download the games. On that page, you'll see "You can now redeem your Humble Indie Bundle #2 games on Steam and Desura!"

and click and redeem![/QUOTE]

Thanks mate. Added them to steam with no problems.

bread's done
Back