Humble Bundle Thread

Has anyone actually tried to pre-purchase the February Humble Monthly Bundle?  It simply says that it will charge your default payment option and then automatically fails regardless.  Doesn't matter if its PayPal or Credit Card as the default payment option on your account.

Great bundle for me, only had spelunky! Keep getting an error when trying to pay now for the next bundle. I can't believe people are still upset over these bundles, the last two have been great, while the first one was a little disappointing.
It's because we've all been here since the beginning of Steam game bundles, and we expect a certain quality to them. The whole point of Humble Monthly is to get great AAA titles for cheap, not potential bundle fodder. These indie games are usually in their non-Monthly bundles, and Grim Fandango has already been in one. These six games are what we'd expect in a $1- or BTA-tier of one of their main or weeklies, not in a limited blind pre-order bundle. It's a decent bundle if you didn't own Payday 2 already.

I wouldn't consider Talos Principle BTA fodder. The other titles, yea.

For me this is the least impressive month. Nothing I am particularly excited about adding to my library. Honestly I probably should have just traded Talos Principle for case keys and got a couple terrible skins. I doubt I will play it before they bundle it with the DLC for cheap anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because we've all been here since the beginning of Steam game bundles, and we expect a certain quality to them. The whole point of Humble Monthly is to get great AAA titles for cheap, not potential bundle fodder. These indie games are usually in their non-Monthly bundles, and Grim Fandango has already been in one. These six games are what we'd expect in a $1- or BTA-tier of one of their main or weeklies, not in a limited blind pre-order bundle. It's a decent bundle if you didn't own Payday 2 already.
Yea I understand that, and my whole steam library is built from bundles as well. I would agree with you, except I don't feel like humble bundles were that great in 2015. The quality has gone way down, for my tastes, unless its a publisher like capcom or square giving away a bunch of stuff that most of us own. If you compare these monthly bundles to the early humble bundles, than yes they are disappointing. If you compare them to the last year, then they are much better. Just my opinion of course.

Has anyone actually tried to pre-purchase the February Humble Monthly Bundle? It simply says that it will charge your default payment option and then automatically fails regardless. Doesn't matter if its PayPal or Credit Card as the default payment option on your account.
Fails for me as well.

At the last moment I pre-ordered the monthly bundle, mainly for Alien Isolation. :bomb:

You win this one, Humble, you win.

So now, what are the odds of Alien Isolation actually being only a pre-order bonus for the next one and not included for anyone subscribed? I may consider making an alternate Humble account just to be sure.

Grrrr.

At the last moment I pre-ordered the monthly bundle, mainly for Alien Isolation. :bomb:

You win this one, Humble, you win.

So now, what are the odds of Alien Isolation actually being only a pre-order bonus for the next one and not included for anyone subscribed? I may consider making an alternate Humble account just to be sure.

Grrrr.
That'd be a huge FU to current subscribers, I don't think Humble would stoop that low.. but you never know

That'd be a huge FU to current subscribers, I don't think Humble would stoop that low.. but you never know
It's actually better than the current subscription model, pay now and you get an extra game, versus extra games only being available to new subscribers.

Yeah apparently they changed how the monthly bundle works now.. the first time subscriber bonuses don't have to be from the previous bundle. inb4 motoki is pissed at me.
Actually, that change makes sense. Otherwise you'd see people making extra accounts every month to get the bonus.

I can't imagine current subs not getting alien isolation next month. I don't care about the game enough to attempt to "pay early get it now" so we will see.

If I don't get it I will definitely remember to cancel so that might actually be a positive.

So I never knew what Rifftrax was until now, it's basically youtube "Let's play" but with movies? Why the fuck would anyone pay money for that?
For the same reason Weird Al recently had a number one billboard album despite there being probably millions of other parody songs on youtube. *shrug*

It's basically a bunch of the main cast and writers from Mystery Science Theater 3000, who were doing this like a decade and a half before youtube was even a thing. It ran for 11 years in the 80s and 90s, including 6 seasons on Comedy Central and 3 on Syfy (before the rebranding from Sci-Fi...hehe)...plus a feature theatrical film. Had a huge following (so much so that the original creator, who just got the rights to the series back, just set a kickstarter record for raising over 5 and a half million dollars to reboot the series).

RE: Rifftrax;

Alright, I get it, there are a bunch of you freaks out there who like to pay money to watch other people watch movies. I was just making a joke but apparently some people thought I genuinely couldn't wrap my head around how there was a market for that kind of crap. Youtube obviously didn't invent this shit but it's currently the biggest market and it's fucking free, which is why I brought it up. I guess next time I should be more clear so less people get TRIGGERED.

858.gif

Alright, I get it, there are a bunch of you freaks out there who like to pay money to watch other people watch movies. I was just making a joke but apparently some people thought I genuinely couldn't wrap my head around how there was a market for that kind of crap. Youtube obviously didn't invent this shit but it's currently the biggest market and it's fucking free, which is why I brought it up. I guess next time I should be more clear so less people get TRIGGERED.
Think of it as comedy instead of as simply commentary. Shows like Mystery Science Theater 3000 and even Beavis and Butthead have a value that place them on television channels instead of free on YouTube. Amateur versus professional.

Alright, I get it, there are a bunch of you freaks out there who like to pay money to watch other people watch movies. I was just making a joke but apparently some people thought I genuinely couldn't wrap my head around how there was a market for that kind of crap.
Perhaps if you had watched more Rifftrax, your joke would have been funny.

I subscribed fairly early on for January and while I'm not thrilled with the titles I'm not disappointed either. I sold off my duplicates of Talos & Spelunky, so $8 or $2 a piece for the other 4 games seems alright in terms of value.

And the music bonuses (if any) would've made it worthwhile to me. Ah well.
You didn't miss out on the music side as only Spelunky was included.

This isn't a bad bundle for those who regularly fakeybro indie games.  I just wanted Talos which I got with coupon.  Might pick up Grim Fadango too, not sure about it.  Mushroom 11 sounds cool, but not $2 cool.  

Does anyone know if Humble generally offers refunds on the Humble Bait and Switch Monthly Bundle? It seems like the topic came up after the December one but I don't see anything on the FAQ.

Does anyone know if Humble generally offers refunds on the Humble Bait and Switch Monthly Bundle? It seems like the topic came up after the December one but I don't see anything on the FAQ.
Someone on Reddit said he got one on one the previous bundles. I'm not aware of any official policy on it like Steam has so it might be a YMMV.

Probably goes without saying but I'm sure you'll have better luck if you haven't revealed any of the keys yet.

This isn't a bad bundle for those who regularly fakeybro indie games. I just wanted Talos which I got with coupon. Might pick up Grim Fadango too, not sure about it. Mushroom 11 sounds cool, but not $2 cool.
It's almost $2 cool. If I could find a bundle split for it at $2, I'd probably bite. As is, I bought the rest of the monthly from CAGs with extras. So the monthly worked out for me.

Though I did buy Talos just yesterday with that coupon and needed to request a refund.

Think of it as comedy instead of as simply commentary. Shows like Mystery Science Theater 3000 and even Beavis and Butthead have a value that place them on television channels instead of free on YouTube. Amateur versus professional.
That said, they do have an official MST3K youtube channel now with some full episodes from the 90s complete with new annotations (explaining some of the occasionally obscure jokes/references). So if anyone wants to see what the deal is:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mst3kofficial

(Personal recommendation: The Final Sacrifice)

Kids today...

Alright, so I've played most of the games in the bundle now.

Disgruntled Humble Monthly Quick Impressions:

The Masterplan - The overhead view and some of the artwork reminds me of Hotline Miami. The control scheme takes some getting used to, but it could turn out to be a nice little strategy game. Movement is fluid and everything makes sense once you figure out what the game wants you to do. A good bundle pickup, but not in fakeybro territory for me.

Mushroom 11 - Maybe one of the more interesting games in the bundle. It's basically a puzzler / platformer that requires you to move the blob forward, under, over, and around obstacles by erasing it. Any part of the blob you erase immediately regrows and reshapes, so you can come up with some pretty interesting ways to maneuver. Because of the physics part of the game, it reminds me of World of Goo. A good bundle pickup, but not in fakeybro territory for me.

A Fistful of Gun - It's Devolver, and they seem to have the quality pixel game genre cornered -- Downwell, Broforce, etc. This top down pixel graphics shooter is well done. It's fairly simplistic in concept, but does have a nice number of selectable player characters, all with different control schemes. There are upgrades as well. There's a tiny bit of variety and depth to keep it from getting too repetitive. Multiplayer also. A good bundle pickup, but not in fakeybro territory for me.

Spelunky - Okay, so I already had this and put 66 hours into the game. It's good. Real good. I wouldn't feel bad fakeybro'ing this one, so it's a good game if you somehow don't already have it.

The Talos Principle - This is an outstanding puzzle game, not at all unlike Portal. There's a lot of depth here and some really neat worlds. It's a good fakeybro candidate, so it's another good game if you don't have it.

Glad I didn't get Grim Fandango earlier. I'll try and pull off some more of my patented Steam trading magic and acquire it.

Never did a humble monthly, but seriously thinking about doing this month because of Alien Isolation.

Can I just cancel next month after I receive the February bundle?

Thanks. Also, Would I be able to keep next months early unlock if I decide to cancel?
Yes, it will be, if you are talking about cancelling March. If you are talking about buying it then trying to cancel February, I don't think that's possible since you pay at the time.

I'll still wait for the double fine bundle with grim, broken age and everything else that I (also) won't play
Makes sense. And I should have done that but I gave Hal 2 dollars out of pity... (That said, it is a classic, one that I've never played too, so I won't be too upset if they do do a bundle down the road.)

Anyone get the Square Enix Bundle but isn't planning on using the Final Fantasy XIV portion? I'd love to use it for referrals. :)

EDIT: Oh, I just realized that even if you did use it, we can still link up as referrals. And both the referrer and referred get rewards. So, anyone who got FFXIV in the bundle, lets link up! :D

bread's done
Back