Humble Bundle Thread

So is it just me, or is the warning about not being able to increase your order not on the mobile site at all?

Thank you. I used the SR codes. Now I can avoid being one of the 4 people left who haven't played it
They were still available 3/4 of an hour later? Even the lurkers already own this bundle's leftovers.

So is it just me, or is the warning about not being able to increase your order not on the mobile site at all?

They were still available 3/4 of an hour later? Even the lurkers already own this bundle's leftovers.
Yeah, I'm not seeing it on mobile either. I locked in a BTA that was under $4 and now I can't do anything with it. I was going to increase my payment if they added anything good in the second week, but now I'll just stick with the $1 tier.

Hm. Fascinating new book bundle today.

I'm a bit disappointed that they neglected to include one of the many variants on this theme with Doctor Who, but this covers a wide breadth of nerd culture. 

Some of these titles are a bit goofy, though: I can't see Family Guy, South Park, or heavy metal music having (or requiring) much in the way of philosophical underpinnings. Be that as it may, here it is:

Add "and Philosophy' to the end of each title.

$1 

Black Sabbath

Final Fantasy

Watchmen

Superman

Metallica

Iron Man

$8

Star Trek

House of Cards

BioShock

Spider-Man

X-Men

Family Guy

$15

South Park

Game of Thrones

The Hobbit

Dungeons & Dragons

The Walking Dead

Star Wars

Battlestar Galactica

The SP episode Best Friends Forever is the one I always think of with South Park being more than just crude jokes.
I'm not talking about any specific episodes. I referenced nihilism because I could point to dozens of episodes that suggest that there are a variety of political and social philosophies underlying the stories, but there is no consistent "theme" that I have seen.

I'm pretty suspicious of the philosophy of any book claiming to be about philosophy.

South Park predicted the 2016 election with their douchebag vs turd sandwich episode.
To be fair, that's pretty much every election; 2016 was just life trying extra hard to imitate art.

From what I can tell, South Park has no philosophy unless it's nihilism.
NERD!

From the synopsis, it seems this book is a collection of essays relating philosophy to South Park or discussing different schools of thought as they relate to particular episodes or story arcs and not an attempt to ascribe an overarching philosophy to the series as a whole. Not sure if the series of books does the same for every show/subject or if this was specific to SP as I assume other shows might be easier to peg to more general theories.

Also NERD!

I hate philosophy and the only two books I'd be interested are TWD and SP, but not $15 interested.

South Park predicted the 2016 election with their douchebag vs turd sandwich episode.
Simpsons Did It First™ with Kang & Kodos

The sheer number of these is ironically sort of a turn-off. Feels like someone just cranking them out of a mill like those "Pounded in the Butt by My Gay Dinosaur Senator Healthcare Bill" e-books on Amazon.

What do you guys rock for Headphones?

For my desktop PC head-set, I use the Turtle Beach PX22's. Love this for both sound + using a mic for the few occasions I play online multiplayer games.

I bought last week 2 sets of Headphones, which both arrived this week.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 206 (was $19 on sale) from Fry's. Clear + crisp, but doesn't have the "oomph" the other set I bought has.

I bought some Klipsch R6 On-Ear Reference Headphones (still on sale for $28 on Newegg). It has the "oomph" in bass (which the SH HD 206 lacks); sounds clear + great; the ear pieces are comfy and can fold in different directions; and is lightweight (especially when compared to Sennheiser HD 206). So awesome, just had to order another one before the sale ends.

I bought that Sennheiser Game Zero set from the Prime Day sale and have been pretty happy with it.  If I had spent $200+ on it, I would have been less happy but my point of diminishing returns is probably fairly low.  Folks report that the mic sounds clear and sharp and I like the flip-up to mute feature.  They sound good although I'm still running off my onboard sound -- I bought a USB sound card but it wasn't working right and is being returned and replaced with something else.  They're comfortable and the closed design does a good job of keeping out (or in) sound without feeling as though I'm in an isolation chamber.  All that said, I wouldn't value them more than the $125 I paid.  But I also used to use a $20 set of Monoprice headphones and a $6 call center style mic so I'm not exactly a video game audiophile.

Why is this in the Humble thread, anyway?

I bought that Sennheiser Game Zero set from the Prime Day sale and have been pretty happy with it. If I had spent $200+ on it, I would have been less happy but my point of diminishing returns is probably fairly low. Folks report that the mic sounds clear and sharp and I like the flip-up to mute feature. They sound good although I'm still running off my onboard sound -- I bought a USB sound card but it wasn't working right and is being returned and replaced with something else. They're comfortable and the closed design does a good job of keeping out (or in) sound without feeling as though I'm in an isolation chamber. All that said, I wouldn't value them more than the $125 I paid. But I also used to use a $20 set of Monoprice headphones and a $6 call center style mic so I'm not exactly a video game audiophile.

Whoops, meant to put this in the Steam Thread, since we talk so much different stuff there besides Steam deals (food, music, pizza, shoes, etc).

I had a moment, I guess. Meh. [SMH]

Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valued at three dollars!
I sold Pillars of Eternity for $5. I then sold a copy of Torchlight 2 that I had leftover from an old bundle for $4. Obviously, Torchlight 2 isn't from the new monthly, but I've managed to talk myself into counting that $4 as recouped from my monthly purchase. As a result of that, I only needed to recoup $3 of value from the rest of the bundle to justify my purchase.

Looks like I can rest easy now.

I bought that Sennheiser Game Zero set from the Prime Day sale and have been pretty happy with it. If I had spent $200+ on it, I would have been less happy but my point of diminishing returns is probably fairly low. Folks report that the mic sounds clear and sharp and I like the flip-up to mute feature. They sound good although I'm still running off my onboard sound -- I bought a USB sound card but it wasn't working right and is being returned and replaced with something else. They're comfortable and the closed design does a good job of keeping out (or in) sound without feeling as though I'm in an isolation chamber. All that said, I wouldn't value them more than the $125 I paid. But I also used to use a $20 set of Monoprice headphones and a $6 call center style mic so I'm not exactly a video game audiophile.

I think this sound card goes with your fancy headphones:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-1000-Gaming-Audio-Amplifier/dp/B01LDTP484/

You joke, but it feels as though sound cards go from $20-$40 and then jump from $225-$325

I can't imagine getting an additional $300 worth of explosion noises, bullets whizzing and Bah swearing in Battlefield.

You joke, but it feels as though sound cards go from $20-$40 and then jump from $225-$325

I can't imagine getting an additional $300 worth of explosion noises, bullets whizzing and Bah swearing in Battlefield.
Did you see this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-JUKE-Virtual-Soundcard-ROC-14-110/dp/B00UTMKCMK

I play H1Z1 KotK and i my kills scores boosted from 6-8 to 10-15 just because i can actually hear where shootings and foot steps are coming from. Best option for gamers. (BTW i use Sennheiser GAME ONE Headset)

Edit:

And right now I use this for surround emulation:

https://www.razerzone.com/surround

You can DL the free version here:

https://www.razerzone.com/downloads

It does a decent job and I think all the surround sound sound cards basically do a software based emulation if that's what you're looking for.

I have a Game Zero also. Haven't used it too much because right now its sort of a pain to unplug my speakers for my new headset but from the 4 or so hours I used it in the Division I was extremely impressed with. Frankly, I heard parts of the sound track and sound effects that I'm sure I never heard before.

Anyhow, I got this coming for external sound card and it should be here tomorrow. I'll give you a report after I get it up and running.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZT7RE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: If you go this route and still have prime look at the sellers and buy from Creative Labs themselves. Prime shipping and no sales taxes.

I probably did. I am hoping to find one that has enough ports for both my headset and my speakers so I can easily benefit when listening to either. I'll have to try that Surround Sound utility although my first reason for wanting an external sound card was because the Zero is intentionally "flat" from my understanding and a decent card can help punch it up a bit.

Anyhow, I got this coming for external sound card and it should be here tomorrow. I'll give you a report after I get it up and running.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZT7RE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: If you go this route and still have prime look at the sellers and buy from Creative Labs themselves. Prime shipping and no sales taxes.
Thanks. Look forward to hearing how it works for you. I saw the same one and was thinking about it although first I need to get the refund on my old one (my own fault, I've been lazy about sending it back). Agreed that the Zero sounds good, I've noticed the difference myself. Don't know that there would have been $279 worth of difference (MSRP on the headset) but for what I paid, I'm happy. Sort of the opposite of you, I've ONLY been using my headset since I don't feel like crawling under my desk to unplug or re-plug it over and over so an external card on my desk will be a blessing.

I use an older pair of TB X41s that I originally bought (actually a gift from my wife) for the 360. Being so close, the wireless function isn't that needed, but it also eliminates the occasional pop that happens 'cause they work on Wi-Fi frequencies. I've often said that it's like wearing a movie theater on your head. I'm not really an audiophile, but I think they still sound great.

I'm using a G930 headset. Is not that good for music, but 7.1 sound is amazing and according to friends, the mic is good too (the can hear me really clear). The headset itself is really comfortable and the construction quality is superb. Main downside is logitech soft/drivers. They suck, sometimes the headset turns off and on by itself...

^ I used a g930 for many years, just recently upgraded to the g933's. The mic's are always great on those, all my friends also use one or the other and everyone is always clear.  Also as you said the 7.1 is awesome. Thats one reason we all use them is for r6 and have no problems pinpointing people based on sound. Ive tried the psuedo 7.1 on a few other headsets and usually they implement a tunnel/reverb effect but logitech's usage always sounds great and not like some effect smeared over stereo.

Personally Ive never had the connection issues, and neither have my friends, but I have heard it reported before. I believe its usually interference on the 2.4ghz that can cause it.  There also used to be some low battery and low audio detection issues that would cause them to turn off but I think those have since either been fixed or you have an option to disable them from within the logitech app.

For my desktop PC head-set, I use the Turtle Beach PX22's. Love this for both sound + using a mic for the few occasions I play online multiplayer games.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 206 (was $19 on sale) from Fry's. Clear + crisp, but doesn't have the "oomph" the other set I bought has.

I bought some Klipsch R6 On-Ear Reference Headphones (still on sale for $28 on Newegg). It has the "oomph" in bass (which the SH HD 206 lacks); sounds clear + great; the ear pieces are comfy and can fold in different directions; and is lightweight (especially when compared to Sennheiser HD 206). So awesome, just had to order another one before the sale ends.
I use the earphones that came with my iPod.

Fight me.

Sennheiser HD 598 (99% of the time.)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (1% of the time, when the others aren't within reach and I'm too lazy to get them.)

^ I used a g930 for many years, just recently upgraded to the g933's. The mic's are always great on those, all my friends also use one or the other and everyone is always clear. Also as you said the 7.1 is awesome. Thats one reason we all use them is for r6 and have no problems pinpointing people based on sound. Ive tried the psuedo 7.1 on a few other headsets and usually they implement a tunnel/reverb effect but logitech's usage always sounds great and not like some effect smeared over stereo.

Personally Ive never had the connection issues, and neither have my friends, but I have heard it reported before. I believe its usually interference on the 2.4ghz that can cause it. There also used to be some low battery and low audio detection issues that would cause them to turn off but I think those have since either been fixed or you have an option to disable them from within the logitech app.
Do you know if Logitech uses the same surround technology on all their surround headsets? Like if you got the cheaper and non-wireless G430, would at least the sound be as good? Not that I think my headset is the reason I suck at R6 or any other game for that matter.

Do you know if Logitech uses the same surround technology on all their surround headsets? Like if you got the cheaper and non-wireless G430, would at least the sound be as good? Not that I think my headset is the reason I suck at R6 or any other game for that matter.
I never read anything about sound difference when I was checking the g930 vs the wired one. The main difference was being wireless... and having some controls on the G930.

yea if I had to guess its all the same sound tech. There is one difference between the newer/older ones like 933 vs 930's. The newer headsets will support the DTS:X surround processing along with the origin dolby digital. So you end up with 3 different surround modes (dts has 2), they all sort of suit different games. The older surround headsets will only have dolby

yikes, Burning Blood is in the next Monthly? Guess I'll pass on that one too.

e: oh, it's still the sportsball/Pillars one. So okay, good I guess.

I use an older pair of TB X41s that I originally bought (actually a gift from my wife) for the 360. Being so close, the wireless function isn't that needed, but it also eliminates the occasional pop that happens 'cause they work on Wi-Fi frequencies. I've often said that it's like wearing a movie theater on your head. I'm not really an audiophile, but I think they still sound great.
I used those before... I also have, and this is what I'm currently replacing, PX5s, which is just the PS branded version of the X41s and the popping has gotten to the point where I'm very tired of it. Sometimes it works really great, others not so great, but more and more I notice it more... They're old so its an easy replacement.

Sort of the opposite of you, I've ONLY been using my headset since I don't feel like crawling under my desk to unplug or re-plug it over and over so an external card on my desk will be a blessing.
if I needed the mic more often I surely would but till the weekend it wasn't really needed... And without the headset on I can clear stuff off the DVR while playing NBA Playground, which I barely need sound for.

NBA Playground... The changes to rebounding really makes rebounding easier... but also means that a rebounder is way more important than it use to be.. I'm sure Red noticed I rarely jump for rebounds instead I just get to the spot on the floor and catch it flatfooted. Now, not so much. I would say its a good change. 3 pointers are still too easy but I think the real problem is that dunking and 2 pts aren't easy enough.

bread's done
Back