Humble Bundle Thread

So... it's a big enough game, but it doesn't come with the DLC. Got it. That should narrow it down.

EDIT: Fox'd 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I was wrong, nevermind :)

I kinda want AC Origins, but I have Odyssey from Google, so don't know if I really need it.

I'm excited to see AC Origins in the Monthly. I was expecting another Uplay game to show up Eg. Watch Dogs 2, but this is a newer title. I'll get to checking the cesspool and Barter.

Well this is a pause.    Or try to sell Origins but I am too lazy to do that.  I wanted that Caterpillars game so that is nice.  

This actually ended up being one of the best months they've had imo. I haven't really heard of any of the unlocks except Dandara, but I've heard really good things about Dandara and all the others except Tannenberg look like something I'd play.

Pretty happy with this month's bundle (wanted Mutant and Minit, never heard of She Remembers Caterpillars but I'll keep it, the rest can go in the cesspool) and AC:O as a reveal. Hopefully having that one big reveal doesn't mean the rest of the games suck

Pretty happy with this month's bundle (wanted Mutant and Minit, never heard of She Remembers Caterpillars but I'll keep it, the rest can go in the cesspool) and AC:O as a reveal. Hopefully having that one big reveal doesn't mean the rest of the games suck
I'm assuming there might be some unlocks revealed from now until the deadline to purchase it, as was the case for the monthly with Overwatch as the headliner. But this game does appeal to me more than the headliners of the last month, as I'm still biased towards AAA titles.

It seems like it ended up being a very solid month, especially for an April. Rumors of Humble's demise have been greatly exaggerated. I didn't pick it up and I'm not too too disappointed, as I already have She Remembered Caterpillars on Steam (fun puzzle game, by the way), and Absolver from PS Plus. 

As for next month, the question is entirely about how much resale value you can get for Assassin's Creed Origins.

There better be other worthwhile reveals than just AC:O here, since I already have AC:O Gold.

Would've been an instant-sub, if I didn't have AC:O already.

Tannenberg

She Remembered Caterpillars

Steel Rats

Dandara

A Short Hike
Hey, Steel Rats looks kinda decent... an actiony-side-scroller crossed with Trials. That's the kind of game I'm looking for in the monthly bundle (and all of my wishlist, of course) - something well-made and a bit different.

Dandara looks like it could be entertaining if it controls well. The Metroidvania genre is sort of crowded at the moment, but it's always nice to throw one in the backlog.

Tannenberg is a non-game to me. I dislike any hidden multiplayer-only games as 99% of them are dead or dying.

It seems like it ended up being a very solid month, especially for an April. Rumors of Humble's demise have been greatly exaggerated. I didn't pick it up and I'm not too too disappointed, as I already have She Remembered Caterpillars on Steam (fun puzzle game, by the way), and Absolver from PS Plus.

As for next month, the question is entirely about how much resale value you can get for Assassin's Creed Origins.
Seems to be going for 8 bucks and over at the cesspool, but I'm not sure how many people are buying it from there right now. I wish it included the season pass content but the base game should have plenty of content. It would be nice to have all the DLC included, eg. Just Cause 3 XXL in the January Monthly, but realistically I dunno how many people will finish the title up and want to play it further.

AC1 took me about three years of on-again-off-again effort to finish.

I've got AC2, AC4, and Liberation knocking around, but I haven't bothered.

I think the AC series is the definition of boring yet polished mediocrity, only interested in AC:O since they apparently changed things up a ton

I mean... maybe if they had more than just one of the AC games as the early reveal.  As it is, this is pretty laughable.  And I get the feeling this is going to be a U-Play centric bundle.

I finished AC1 (after taking a break from it for a year or two because of some dumb timed flag collecting mission). It was okay, basically a tech demo. I played a little of 2 and it was 100x better but I had to put it down and never ended up picking it back up.

I'm happy with AC Origins as a unlock.   It's actually a pretty good game.  Not as good as Odyssey (got that free from google).

I still think the $8 a month I spend on the monthly bundle is one of the best values in gaming. 

AC1 took me about three years of on-again-off-again effort to finish.

I've got AC2, AC4, and Liberation knocking around, but I haven't bothered.
I would definitely recommend AC2 & AC4. Two of the better games in that series.

Special mention for the excellent AC4: Freedom Cry DLC too.

I also loved AC: Brotherhood and AC: Syndicate, while I'm at it.

Chapter 74 of my memoirs: 

I think I probably finished AC1, or at least got pretty far with it, the combat was alright for about 20 minutes, then you solve it and it's incredibly boring.

It does the "all the enemies wait around and attack you one by one so you can show off" sort of thing that also the Arkham games have and etc, I don't find any of those kind of games remotely interesting. Watching AI literally holding back to make it easy for you ruins absolutely all immersion and tension and fun value.

On top of that, you are obscenely overpowered compared to your opponents, who all act like lobotomized toddlers. Playing the combat in that game, I actually can't help but think worse of people who enjoy that game. I'm not proud to say this, but I can't get past the feeling that anyone who enjoys playing such one-sided combat against such un-challenging, idiot AI opponents must have some sort of personality disorder.

If the AI is that stupid, at least make them powerful and challenging, don't make weakling idiot AI's that also attack one at a time waiting to be killed by you in show-offy ways. Who actually has fun comboing lobotomized toddlers?

I kept playing that first one only because I enjoyed the setting, and big historic cities, and sort of hoped it would improve. 

I don't think I finished AC2, I remember they dumbed down the combat even more. 

Since then, I've  tried playing about 5 minutes of the one set in London, and about 5 minutes of the one set in the Caribbean. They were both completely unbearable garbage, some of the worst 10 minutes of gaming I've ever experienced.

I'm not interested in trying another one.

That's all, diary.

I didn't even finish AC1
AC1 is a relic of its time. Sure it was nice and raved for its novelty but the repetition and tedium set in after 1 hour of gameplay (Yes, the PC director cut toned down slightly the tedium but still very boring).

After halfway through AC1, I uninstalled the game and didn't bother with the rest on my backlog

I think I've played about 30 minutes of AC Unity? The one set in Paris. Due to deals and freebies with hardware I have almost all of them I think. Apparently I don't have Origins as I got that confused with Odyssey that I got free last year. So, possibly another good month ahead!

I think I've played about 30 minutes of AC Unity? The one set in Paris. Due to deals and freebies with hardware I have almost all of them I think. Apparently I don't have Origins as I got that confused with Odyssey that I got free last year. So, possibly another good month ahead!
Yep, Unity is the one set in Paris.

Fantastic graphics and technical quality - but that game didn't really do that much new gameplay-wise (felt more like the older AC games - i.e. AC2 to AC3). Combat improved a bit - but still, nothing to write home about.

I preferred AC: Syndicate myself.

AC: Origins is the one set in Egypt.

AC: Odyssey is the one set in Ancient Greece.

AC: Origins is the one set in Egypt.
AC: Odyssey is the one set in Ancient Greece.
Which is the one set in Ex-'s Mom?

Dear Diary,

Today I made a joke at the expense of Ex-'s mom. Go me. As I continue sticking pins in the voodoo doll I created of Ex— because of the hurtful comments he shared about the AC series ( the milqtoast combat) , I wonder: was I mistaken in liking the game?? Did I really not like the expansive open world settings? The interactions with historical characters? The attempts at somewhat entertaining mini-games (fort attacks, gang wars, Templar defense (ok scratch that last one)) ? The large, immersive cities? Maybe I have been lobotomized? It would explain why I continue to hang out on this forum with other malcontents of limited IQ. It would also explain my predisposition to Mom and Poop jokes. Ah well, I will have time to further ponder those and other questions after my afternoon electro-shock therapy.

Good day for now, diary,

Queen Victoria

Chapter 74 of my memoirs:

I think I probably finished AC1, or at least got pretty far with it, the combat was alright for about 20 minutes, then you solve it and it's incredibly boring.

It does the "all the enemies wait around and attack you one by one so you can show off" sort of thing that also the Arkham games have and etc, I don't find any of those kind of games remotely interesting. Watching AI literally holding back to make it easy for you ruins absolutely all immersion and tension and fun value.
That style of combat is actually interesting and well-done in the Arkham games. It's fun being Batman and smashing thugs. In the AC games it merely exists. It's not bad, but it's not particularly fun.

AC Odyssey (and Origins, I think) threw out the old formula. The combat is completely different. Much more interesting; much more enjoyable. Of course that doesn't stop the endless parade of whiners wondering why they can't just bring back the old style of combat.

That style of combat is actually interesting and well-done in the Arkham games. It's fun being Batman and smashing thugs. In the AC games it merely exists. It's not bad, but it's not particularly fun.

AC Odyssey (and Origins, I think) threw out the old formula. The combat is completely different. Much more interesting; much more enjoyable. Of course that doesn't stop the endless parade of whiners wondering why they can't just bring back the old style of combat.
I have played AC: Origins a little bit.

In that game, it's similar to Dark Souls now (click to lock on, use your shield to block, can parry, combat feels much more methodical and slower-paced) - but it just doesn't seem as great or as innovative as Dark Souls was when that game dropped.

Maybe it gets better and more skills/stuff thrown at it later in the game - but, I ain't got that far yet in AC: Origins.

Can't speak on the tweaks & changes in AC: Odyssey.

AC1 is a relic of its time. Sure it was nice and raved for its novelty but the repetition and tedium set in after 1 hour of gameplay (Yes, the PC director cut toned down slightly the tedium but still very boring).

After halfway through AC1, I uninstalled the game and didn't bother with the rest on my backlog
More than just a novelty. Nothing up until then was anything like the movement within the environment that AC1 had. The assassinations were interesting, too. And the combat was at least competent. It's just that all those great building blocks were part of a repetitive game that lacked enough variety to see it through. Still an enjoyable gaming experience because of the way it was so new.

That said, if you haven't played, maybe just spend a bit of time doing some running and climbing then skip on to AC2. Same building blocks but a much more engaging game. (Then continue with Brotherhood and Revelations, which are really parts two and three of AC2.)

Then play what you want. Lots of different experiences in the following games, leading up to the current Odyssey which is a great, and huge, RPG. Not really what I'd choose if I wanted to play Assassin's Creed, but probably my favorite of the games with Assassin's Creed in the name.

I have played AC: Origins a bit. In that game, it's similar to Dark Souls now (click to lock on, use your shield to block, can parry, combat feels much more methodical and slower-paced ) - but it just doesn't seem as great or as innovative as Dark Souls was when that game dropped.
A publisher known for pumping out soulless copies of their earlier successes apes game mechanics from another series, and you're telling me it doesn't feel groundbreaking?

tumblr-inline-nh2xhxvkri1rr5l6k.gif

A publisher known for pumping out soulless copies of their earlier successes apes game mechanics from another series, and you're telling me it doesn't feel groundbreaking?

tumblr-inline-nh2xhxvkri1rr5l6k.gif
Namely b/c it seems like they didn't do anything interesting to push that Souls-style of combat forward.

A lot of games in the AAA space are taking things from other games & genres anyways.

Assassin's Creed did to the hack-and-slash genre what the cover-based-shooter did to the mobility shooter. They're like anti-games: games that take an established, well-developed genre where combat mechanics have been developed extensively and are deep and exciting and interesting, and dumb them down to mindless whack-a-mole for broad appeal. Now ACO gets to do it to the Soulslike genre.

Op-ed:

There were some interesting boss fights in Arkham, where Batman is actually challenged. Unfortunately, the stealth and other mechanics are so extensive that you can cheese those all out as well. And usually they are very repetitive, and dumbed down to such an extent as to not alienate any of the very broad audience the games are intended for.
This is what I think about that era of games: first person shooters moved to console, became dramatically successful with Halo and etc, then they realized that to bring shooters to mass appeal they had to deal with the fact that controls are hard with a gamepad, so they invented the "cover based shooter". The cover based shooter mechanics are the most mindless, completely devoid of fun mechanics ever, here is how they work: take cover, line up your shot, wait for opponent to come out of cover, pop up and whack-a-mole, rinse repeat. You now have a combat system that is about as deep and interesting as whack-a-mole. The broad appeal was won, and games like Uncharted etc became massively successful with wide audiences of people not interested in interesting game mechanics.

Eventually, this became stale and boring. So the killers of game mechanics set their eyes on the next genre: hack-and-slash games. These games were based on having complex combat mechanics, deep gameplay, based on tons of movement, with enemies quickly following and being challenging and varied and diverse. So with Assassin's Creed, they said: this is far too interesting and fun and exciting and good. We want to appeal to a broad audience: let's give it the Cover-Based Shooter treatment.

Now the player character is fast and agile and mobile, like before, but absolutely none of the enemies are. Like in Uncharted, the enemies simply stand around, and then attack one by one while waiting for the player character to do a bunch of nonsense with really stylistic animations. Rather than popping one by one out of cover so the player character can pick them off one by one, like the cover-based shooter, instead the enemies just stand around and pop up one by one to attack. It is the third-person hack-and-slash instantiation of the cover-based shooter.

All these games are essentially anti-games. Games that deliberately make well-established and developed genre, where combat has been advanced and developed to a great level of depth and interest and fun, and then throw that all away for the benefit of mass-appeal to gamers who don't actually like games, they just the idea that they are playing the "TRIPLE A" "blockbuster" title with all the "very serious gaming awards". They are a curse on videogaming and humanity.

I fully suspect AC:O is doing its best to give the Soulslike genre the same anti-game treatment.
Thanks MysterD. What games (with combat) do you like?

I have played AC: Origins a little bit.

In that game, it's similar to Dark Souls now (click to lock on, use your shield to block, can parry, combat feels much more methodical and slower-paced) - but it just doesn't seem as great or as innovative as Dark Souls was when that game dropped.

Maybe it gets better and more skills/stuff thrown at it later in the game - but, I ain't got that far yet in AC: Origins.

Can't speak on the tweaks & changes in AC: Odyssey.
"Not as good as Dark Souls" isn't exactly heavy criticism. That describes the combat in lots of games.

Odyssey's combat is good. It's challenging, even at lower difficulty levels, while also allowing player's to really kick ass. Different types of weapons really feel different. Different types of weapons in the hands of enemies really offer different challenges and dangers.

One example just from last night. Cleaning up a small encampment of soldiers the last enemy decided I was too dangerous up close and started to kite with a bow. He wasn't one of the archers, who often do that, just an officer-type that had taken a bit of damage already. And an enemy kiting you is annoying. Circling while continually backing up meant I had to keep moving toward him while dodging away from arrow fire, and each dodge gave him a chance to get further away. I know how AI enemies must feel when I kite. Heck, it's exactly the sort of situation where I might kite in many games.

What it certainly wasn't was watch for a cue and hit the correct button at the correct time. Different combat.

Assassin's Creed did to the hack-and-slash genre what the cover-based-shooter did to the mobility shooter. They're like anti-games: games that take an established, well-developed genre where combat mechanics have been developed extensively and are deep and exciting and interesting, and dumb them down to mindless whack-a-mole for broad appeal. Now ACO gets to do it to the Soulslike genre.
Yup. 2009's Arkham Asylum established itself as the gold standard for timing-based melee combat. While it's understandable that Ubisoft would copy that style, it is a bit slimy that they did it so quickly with the release of the first Assassin's Creed in 2007.

Then play what you want. Lots of different experiences in the following games, leading up to the current Odyssey which is a great, and huge, RPG. Not really what I'd choose if I wanted to play Assassin's Creed, but probably my favorite of the games with Assassin's Creed in the name.
here is the irony, AC: Odyssey is .. eh.. not an Assassin's Creed game :whistle2:

bread's done
Back