Humble Bundle Thread

I'm only missing Zuma from the top tier, so I can't find a reason to go there. I guess it's $1 for me. 

Even owning the two big names in the $1 (Peggle/Bejeweled), there's still enough fun to be had from the remaining games to make it an easy buy.

WHile this is by no means a bad bundle (obviously, it's pretty decent for a weekly) I also don't get why people are so excited about it, either.

Am I the only one that (almost, I have done a couple times for specific charities I like to sponsor) never gives any money to the charities? There was no developer cut this time so my whole $6 went to the Humble tip.
Most of the time, I throw 100% to one dev. Last week, I gave my entire dollar to Cherry Pop (Pool Nation), even though I didn't pick up that tier. Gave the entire $3ish to the Saturday Morning RPG guys in the mobile bundle. Only charity I actively split off a portion to is the Red Cross.

Probably rights / distribution issues.

So is this one key per tier, or separate keys for everything?
One key per tier, so you get 4 "keys" total: 2 links for Steam, 2 keys for Origin.

Apparently I owned Peggle on every platform but Steam. Fixed!

Am I the only one that (almost, I have done a couple times for specific charities I like to sponsor) never gives any money to the charities? There was no developer cut this time so my whole $6 went to the Humble tip.
While some bundle 'charities' are questionable (Indie Gala Project X I am looking at you) I work for a cancer center, EA isn't asking for any money and Humble surely doesn't seem hurting to me so I had a hard time saying no to the charity in this case.

I'll preface this by stating that everyone is of course free to do whatever the hell they want and completely ignore what I think. Having said that, going out of your way to give Humble 100% and nothing to cancer charities in this case seems rather dickish in my personal opinion which is worth two cents and a grain salt plus a pinch of pepper.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHile this is by no means a bad bundle (obviously, it's pretty decent for a weekly) I also don't get why people are so excited about it, either.
Because who in their right mind would have ever bought this trash one at a time on Steam (even on sale)? This is an easy +5 steam count for a buck. One of the very few bundles I've ever purchased where I don't own any of them. Best day ever?

PopCap generally makes decent games -- they almost always look great, and well-polished from a gameplay/performance standpoint. They specialize in casual games and since there's so much crap in that subspace, PopCap games really stand out.

Well this is weird. Bought my Popcap bundle, clicked the "Add your games" thing, nothing happened in Steam but Humble says it's linked. Tried restarting Steam, no games. Checked the store listing on Steam and it says I don't own 'em. Might have to nag Humble about it, first time one of their bundles fucked up for me.

Well this is weird. Bought my Popcap bundle, clicked the "Add your games" thing, nothing happened in Steam but Humble says it's linked. Tried restarting Steam, no games. Checked the store listing on Steam and it says I don't own 'em. Might have to nag Humble about it, first time one of their bundles fucked up for me.
Steam has been doing that to me for 2 days now, same again today with this. If you add to cart it wont let you buy it and tell you that you own it. They appeared correctly for me the next day.

While some bundle 'charities' are questionable (Indie Gala Project X I am looking at you) I work for a cancer center, EA isn't asking for any money and Humble surely doesn't seem hurting to me so I had a hard time saying no to the charity in this case.

I'll preface this by stating that everyone is of course free to do whatever the hell they want and completely ignore what I think. Having said that, going out of your way to give Humble 100% and nothing to cancer charities in this case seems rather dickish in my personal opinion which is worth two cents and a grain salt plus a pinch of pepper.
No worries, everyone is (wait for it) entitled to their opinions. I personally dislike most of the larger charities because most (if not nearly all) of the money they receive goes to overhead and never reaches the intended destination. I'm of the belief that it's better to help someone out yourself than to just hand over money and assume it goes where you want it to. I've been working with various animal rescue groups for about 20 years now and I've personally saved over 100 animals at this point (the groups I have been with have easily saved thousands in total) and ALL of the money we receive goes directly to the help the animals we save.

Honestly, without having played most of these I'd guess it's the anticipation more than anything else. When this bundle first got added to the database, we all agreed it was a good value and were looking forward to it. Then days turned into weeks turned into months. I'm past the point of caring myself...although I still BTA.

I don't have Duke or Shadow and the Steam bundle is normally $15.  50 cents each sounds about right.  At 90% off the bundle is still $1.50 so I save fifty cents.  I can rationalize most anything.

Apparently I owned Peggle on every platform but Steam. Fixed!

The only thing I hate more than charities is humble.

I'd be interested in the $10 tier.. if it wasn't $10. Everything else is crap.
I want that Cosmic DJ game though... so bad.... too bad Getting up is like $3.75 and Defense Technica was like $2.49 after EC coupon. I have no interest in their home videos.

Also, in for a $1 for the popcap bundle because double hoarding is awesome.

I'm all for as many bundles as possible. But Humble is a solid 0/3 for me this week. They can ride out HiB11's greatness a little longer I guess. Just in general it's been a pretty lame week for bundles.

No worries, everyone is (wait for it) entitled to their opinions. I personally dislike most of the larger charities because most (if not nearly all) of the money they receive goes to overhead and never reaches the intended destination.
That's simply not true. Many of the big name charities (Red Cross, United Way, and UNICEF for example) have efficiencies near or better than 90%. Even the big names with lesser efficiencies tend to have efficiencies comfortably over 50%. Admittedly there are many sketchy charities with efficiencies that might reach the teens, if that--these tend to have names that are good at sounding generically charitable. It's always good to check sources for information about charities. It's not at all accurate or fair to say that most of the money going to the larger charities doesn't reach the intended destination.

Agree 100%. I also think it's great that EA is dropping it all on charity, even if these are fairly mediocre PopCaps (except Bejeweled 3).

Because who in their right mind would have ever bought this trash one at a time on Steam (even on sale)? This is an easy +5 steam count for a buck. One of the very few bundles I've ever purchased where I don't own any of them. Best day ever?
Yes.

i'd be interested in the 10 dollar tier if it wasn't ten dollars and it wasn't crap (aka had shadow warrior 2013 in it)
I agree that this bundle would be loads better with the new Shadow Warrior in it, but I'm actually pretty interested in most of this stuff (except for the Humble repeats <grumble>). OTOH, $10. Hm.

That's simply not true. Many of the big name charities (Red Cross, United Way, and UNICEF for example) have efficiencies near or better than 90%. Even the big names with lesser efficiencies tend to have efficiencies comfortably over 50%. Admittedly there are many sketchy charities with efficiencies that might reach the teens, if that--these tend to have names that are good at sounding generically charitable. It's always good to check sources for information about charities. It's not at all accurate or fair to say that most of the money going to the larger charities doesn't reach the intended destination.
Well said but I think it's lost on someone who ranks..

Sequoia Vulture Capital's Humble Bundle > Two Respectable Cancer Charities

Refs:

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/22/sequoia-capital-backs-online-gaming-bundler/

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=5907#.UxjXNuddUZd

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/cancer/melanoma-research-alliance-foundation-in-washington-dc-25286

Devolver Digital has other games they could've added if they were going to make it $10. Dump this VHX crap and add like 6-8 more non-repeat games and I'd consider buying it.

EDIT: Ok, maybe I overexaggerated, many of their games have been bundled before so they don't have a lot left that hasn't been bundled, but they could've at least added the new Shadow Warrior and Foul Play.

I would also say, just to offer an additional food-for-thought item, children's charities, AIDS outreach programs, Doctors Without Borders, and "species partisan" groups (Save the Frogs, etc.) are generally doing things with your money that you can't do because you lack the expertise and the ability to travel to perform the work. Animal rescue is well and good but it's something of a narrow focus. Whether you think any of these causes or groups are worth your money is another question entirely, but this is something to consider.

Besides, what's Humble going to do with getting 100% as a 'tip'? Hire more people? Hookers and blow in San Francisco? Give more donations to Tim Schafer?

Besides, what's Humble going to do with getting 100% as a 'tip'? Hire more people? Hookers and blow in San Francisco? Give more donations to Tim Schafer?
If only he would use to to make psychonauts 2 or get the license for grim fandango

59834-Archer-just-the-tip-DUYb.jpeg

Besides, what's Humble going to do with getting 100% as a 'tip'? Give more donations to Tim Schafer?
Please no.

EDIT: Hey, has anybody actually played this Mark Ecko thing that was released for consoles decades ago IIRC? Is it something I'd actually want to play? People seemed oddly excited about it being on sale the other day.

I'm glad to see things have changed. I remember years ago there were reports coming out regularly about big charities throwing donated money around and it never reaching the needy. I distinctly remember the Red Cross coming under fire for donations for hurricane Katrina victims that never reached them. DIdn't they have an issue with the money received for 9/11 too? Perhaps they learned from those incidents. I have specifically avoided donating to the Red Cross because of those stories.

I would still contend it is better to help someone out yourself than to just throw money at the problem and hope it goes away, but I understand not everyone has the time/energy to truly give to charity.

/pats his high horse "easy boy,..easy.."

/end sarcasm..

I feel like I'm getting painted into a corner here, donating to charity is perfectly fine. I mean no disrespect, I just question where my money goes.

I'm glad to see things have changed. I remember years ago there were reports coming out regularly about big charities throwing donated money around and it never reaching the needy. I distinctly remember the Red Cross coming under fire for donations for hurricane Katrina victims that never reached them. DIdn't they have an issue with the money received for 9/11 too? Perhaps they learned from those incidents. I have specifically avoided donating to the Red Cross because of those stories.
Correct. I still have standing issues with Red Cross (I'm not saying they don't do good work as well, but I'd rather support others.) Katrina was also a fuck ing US Gov fail... counter-terrorism spending bonanza and a failure of disaster preparedness (good for terrorism or just normal shit that happens).

There are plenty of other good charities though.

I feel like I'm harassing the 'NO CHARITIES' types and I'm really not but I'm also trying to understand the mindset. I'm all for giving most/all money to the developers but in this case all of it to Humble just to spite some perceived slights and mismanagements done by charities that aren't even the ones this bundle is donating to?

Is it thought the money will be better spent by 100% of it going to Humble or that Humble needs more money?

It was EA's express wish here that the money go to charity. You can pretty much just pretend you gave the money to the developer and he decided to give it to charity.

I'm just not seeing where giving 100% to Humble is the high ground here. It seems like people are pissed off about some things they read about Red Cross and such and taking it out on these Cancer groups.

Please no.

EDIT: Hey, has anybody actually played this Mark Ecko thing that was released for consoles decades ago IIRC? Is it something I'd actually want to play? People seemed oddly excited about it being on sale the other day.
It's awesome. I used to own it on Xbox, which I no longer have, so it was a no-brainer buy during the sale. Check out gameplay footage on YouTube and judge for yourself. We don't have enough platformers out today (3D ones, not the 2D artistic crap that gets shoveled out by the truckloads in bundles) so you should take what you can get.

It's awesome. I used to own it on Xbox, which I no longer have, so it was a no-brainer buy during the sale. Check out gameplay footage on YouTube and judge for yourself. We don't have enough platformers out today (3D ones, not the 2D artistic crap that gets shoved out in bundles) so you should take what you can get.
Hm. Okay, I'll look into it.

I have never, ever given humble one red cent. Call it sour grapes but I just find their business practices unappealing. They started off as a pseudo kind of charity thing, made a lot of money, then went out and sought venture capitalists who invested more money and advised them to start taking a flat cut on everything in their "store". It just rubs me the wrong way that they leveraged their original charity type thing into making themselves rich through name recognition. 

I feel like I'm harassing the 'NO CHARITIES' types and I'm really not but I'm also trying to understand the mindset. I'm all for giving most/all money to the developers but in this case all of it to Humble just to spite some perceived slights and mismanagements done by charities that aren't even the ones this bundle is donating to?

Is it thought the money will be better spent by 100% of it going to Humble or that Humble needs more money?

It was EA's express wish here that the money go to charity. You can pretty much just pretend you gave the money to the developer and he decided to give it to charity.

I'm just not seeing where giving 100% to Humble is the high ground here. It seems like people are pissed off about some things they read about Red Cross and such and taking it out on these Cancer groups.
Having worked with a number of small local charities over the years and having seen most of them suffer from funding abuse internally, I may just have a better insight to how charities actually function than most. I see no reason to support a charity that I know nothing about. Sure they could be squeaky clean, but they could also be riddled with problems. Why risk my money when I can use it myself to make a difference? I'm not 'taking out' my frustration with one group by not giving it to another; I'm simply using my money to make a difference by cutting out the middle man and helping a cause I believe in by doing the work myself. I see no reason to get upset over it, it's just a different way of making a difference, I just happen to believe that it is far more impactful to roll up your sleeves than to just hand over some money. Is this a bad thing? No. Neither is donating money.

bread's done
Back