Humble Bundle Thread

I think Starbucks is an example not of reputation but of cachet, and I wouldn't agree that Humble has it. Cachet only gets people to buy if they can flaunt the product. You can walk around holding a Starbucks cup in your hand; I don't think there's an equivalent for Humble.

Cachet and reputation both make people buy bad product, but whereas properly managed cachet can last forever, reputation erodes. Eventually people will wake up and see you for what you are now and not for what you used to be. Look at Capcom.
tomato tomato.

Humble cachet is on the front page called "top donations" also on any forum where people can post about how much they gave to humble and how they gave it all to charity or devs or humble.

I think Starbucks is an example not of reputation but of cachet, and I wouldn't agree that Humble has it. Cachet only gets people to buy if they can flaunt the product. You can walk around holding a Starbucks cup in your hand; I don't think there's an equivalent for Humble.
Humble is walking around* with a cup in their hand.

*well more like standing on the sidewalk out front of the store with the cup...

In two days they're at almost 150k bundles sold. I think they're doing just fine and most developers would be happy to get a piece of that.
I wish I could remember how that compared to their previous major numbered bundles. 150,000 sold certainly sounds like a lot, but not if they previously sold 500,000 bundles in two days.

Where's a "For Posterity's Sake" when you need it? Ashes! ;)

I don't think so. I think they've become so monolithic and such a brand that they've transcended all of that. It's like Starbucks could make burnt nasty coffee but the masses will still go there because it's Starbucks. Even if a minority of people with discerning tastes go elsewhere it really doesn't hurt their bottom line that much.
I get the point you're trying to make, but I think a food analogy is kind of a bad one. Ask anyone who's ever had food poisoning if they'd go back and eat in the same restaurant again. Now granted, food poisoning for a bundle is the equivalent of having Magicka and Bad Rats as the BTA, so that's unlikely, but if it happened, I could definitely see it hurting them.

Last edited by a moderator:
tomato tomato.

Humble cachet is on the front page called "top donations" also on any forum where people can post about how much they gave to humble and how they gave it all to charity or devs or humble.
Perhaps you're right. I think of cachet as belonging to things that you can hold or wear or drive, but maybe I'm just old.

The Debt Cycle

job-fails-the-cycle-continues1.jpg

The Holiday bundle had almost nothing for bonuses, and the music and such were build choices, not bonuses. I still grabbed quite a few choices from it, of course, and rather liked the bundle. That said, that bundle, Be Mine X, and the various small ones around and between really pale in comparison to some of Groupee's greats.

I also am a big fan of the IR Debut bundles. However, I recognize that I'm in the minority on that.
I don't mind having OST as bonuses except that Groupees lost all their data a few months ago and until now they have still not been restored.

I am also a fan of Indie Royale's Debut Bundles, I started from Debut Bundle 3 and so far I only missed Debut Bundle 6. :wave:

Approximately 5 out of every 10 games released in the last 3 years have been MInecraft mods.
or Zombies mods.

CGU8mQV.jpg

Oh the internet where people love to argue and point out the supposed flaws in everything and anything. 'Actually you're wrong because...and your analogy didn't calculate the widget factor...and I will show you the error of your ways Mr. Internet guy!'

Yes guys Humble is clearly on a financial decline, you're right. Oh wait... :roll:

Now that they've built the reputation their audience is different. They're selling to more mainstream and casual buyers these days and less to hardcore deal hunters.

And they've built a big audience that will pretty much buy whatever they put out as impulse buy without a lot of thought. At those prices a casual buyer who doesn't even realize other bundles exist or that these games have been bundled before probably isn't going to scrutinize the quality of each game to death, they're just going to look at it that they got 4+ games cheap.

They've also got an inherent justification to buy and guilt to question factor built in by being a 'charity'. And yes I realize only a small portion by default is going to charity but I still see comments by people in multiple places viewing these bundles as a charity.

At those prices a casual buyer who doesn't even realize other bundles exist or that these games have been bundled before probably isn't going to scrutinize the quality of each game to death, they're just going to look at it that they got 4+ games cheap.
plebs...

Why doesn't anyone remember:

voxhead800.png

????
I actually bought that from IGS and played some of it. Surprisingly it wasn't terrible, just a really basic twin stick shooter with voxel graphics. I liked what I played though and was hoping to play the full version eventually...months later the developer is getting ready to release version .3 with the intention of making Voxatron more of a tool to make your own games than a game in its own regard.

So, I guess that's why I forgot about it.

I actually bought that from IGS and played some of it. Surprisingly it wasn't terrible, just a really basic twin stick shooter with voxel graphics. I liked what I played though and was hoping to play the full version eventually...months later the developer is getting ready to release version .3 with the intention of making Voxatron more of a tool to make your own games than a game in its own regard.

So, I guess that's why I forgot about it.
I distinctly remember it as a WTF?!? ...and fortunately decided to throw in a buck in hops of the 2nd week addiions, which paid off. I think it was the first time I doubted HIB. (maybe 2nd if the Botanicula Debut pre-dated it).

Oh the internet where people love to argue and point out the supposed flaws in everything and anything. 'Actually you're wrong because...and your analogy didn't calculate the widget factor...and I will show you the error of your ways Mr. Internet guy!'
Huh. I thought we were, you know, having a discussion. On a discussion forum. Exchanging viewpoints and such. Okay, then.

Yes guys Humble is clearly on a financial decline, you're right. Oh wait... :roll:

Now that they've built the reputation their audience is different. They're selling to more mainstream and casual buyers these days and less to hardcore deal hunters.

And they've built a big audience that will pretty much buy whatever they put out as impulse buy without a lot of thought. At those prices a casual buyer who doesn't even realize other bundles exist or that these games have been bundled before probably isn't going to scrutinize the quality of each game to death, they're just going to look at it that they got 4+ games cheap.
Were people arguing? I thought everyone was just debating about whether or not they thought poor bundles would hurt them in the long run. Some people agree that it would, others don't. No one was arguing AFAIK.

Unless you forgot to use sarcasm font there.

Were people arguing? I thought everyone was just debating about whether or not they thought poor bundles would hurt them in the long run. Some people agree that it would, others don't. No one was arguing AFAIK.

Unless you forgot to use sarcasm font there.
OMG... you wouldn't know arguing on the internet if it [sexual act, past tense] in your face.

:rofl:

No, no. No reason. No debate.

Just harrumphs.

I wish I could remember how that compared to their previous major numbered bundles. 150,000 sold certainly sounds like a lot, but not if they previously sold 500,000 bundles in two days.
Final tallies for numbered bundles:

1 - 138,813 US$1.27+ M
2 - 232,855 US$1.80+ M
3 - 372,399 US$2.16+ M
4 - 435,250 US$2.37+ M
5 - 599,003 US$5.10+ M
6 - 316,272 US$2.05+ M
7 - 395,953 US$2.65+ M
8 - 448,750 US$2.63+ M
9 - 715,012 US$3.50+ M

Of course that doesn't answer the question of how this stacks up yet, but it seems to be doing just fine so far. Obviously bundles like Origin, THQ, WB sold way better than any of the numbered ones.

I dunno, even if it doesn't perform as well as past bundles it's still going to make a ton more money than it would if any other bundle site released it and I'm sure any of the developers involved is more than happy to be a part of it. I think their biggest missed opportunity for this bundle is not having enough of an incentive to beat the average. Usually there's at least one big game there and there isn't this time.

Seems to be  cycle.  Meh bundle, then gets better, then gets great, then meh bundle again.  Seems like X was destined to be a meh bundle.  Good bundle will be 13 or 14.  

The thing that hurts this bundle is the BTA tier. The $1 tier is pretty good, the thing is I (and I feel like a lot of other CAGs) already have several of the games. If I didn't have Papo & Yo or To The Moon, and my playstation + didn't entitle me to Bit Trip, I'd be ecstatic to get these 4 games for a buck. The BTA tier though...Reus is semi-exciting enough to be in there. But Surgeon Simulator? Ugh. I feel like it would make more sense to have any of the $1 tier games switched with it. If Surgeon Sim was somehow replaced w/something like  The Swapper or Spelunky though, this would be a legitimately pretty good bundle.

Also...keep falling...I'll probably buy this bundle once it gets a bit lower. Does humble still lock the BTA price when you buy? Thinking I'll buy 1 dollar tier just to lock in and see the bonuses.

The thing that hurts this bundle is the BTA tier. The $1 tier is pretty good, the thing is I (and I feel like a lot of other CAGs) already have several of the games. If I didn't have Papo & Yo or To The Moon, and my playstation + didn't entitle me to Bit Trip, I'd be ecstatic to get these 4 games for a buck. The BTA tier though...Reus is semi-exciting enough to be in there. But Surgeon Simulator? Ugh. I feel like it would make more sense to have any of the $1 tier games switched with it. If Surgeon Sim was somehow replaced w/something like The Swapper or Spelunky though, this would be a legitimately pretty good bundle.

Also...keep falling...I'll probably buy this bundle once it gets a bit lower. Does humble still lock the BTA price when you buy? Thinking I'll buy 1 dollar tier just to lock in and see the bonuses.
I agree completely. But like I said earlier, you may as well wait until at least Monday night because the price will likely continue to drop until the new games are announced. If they're crap, it will continue its slow downward trickle after that too.

Thanks

I agree completely. But like I said earlier, you may as well wait until at least Monday night because the price will likely continue to drop until the new games are announced. If they're crap, it will continue its slow downward trickle after that too.
Yeah, I'm gonna wait until the price starts going up. Given that the dollar tier is so much stronger than the BTA, I feel like it'll continue to go down for awhile.

I'd be interested in reading blurbs on initial impression so you should start your own CAG blog Syntax. I'm not really the one to read super long reviews.
I started one last night in case you want to take a gander. I'll add to it every four days or so as I get enough games under my belt to be worth making an entry. Threw a link in my sig but since I don't have signatures turned on, I shouldn't assume anyone else does either. I figure, if nothing else, in a few weeks I'll have experience with 20-odd games I didn't touch before (I know there's 26 letters but a few I don't have a game for).

I started one last night in case you want to take a gander. I'll add to it every four days or so as I get enough games under my belt to be worth making an entry. Threw a link in my sig but since I don't have signatures turned on, I shouldn't assume anyone else does either. I figure, if nothing else, in a few weeks I'll have experience with 20-odd games I didn't touch before (I know there's 26 letters but a few I don't have a game for).
I like this idea.

For awhile I've thought about tossing out the idea of starting some CAG Backlog Club (similar to a book club), but I'm not really sure how it would work.

I like this idea.

For awhile I've thought about tossing out the idea of starting some CAG Backlog Club (similar to a book club), but I'm not really sure how it would work.
I've seen it tried before several times, it's never turned out well. It seems to work best for sites dedicated to a single console but even then it never lasts long.

Take a shot anyways, maybe you'll be the one to make it work.

I've seen it tried before several times, it's never turned out well. It seems to work best for sites dedicated to a single console but even then it never lasts long.

Take a shot anyways, maybe you'll be the one to make it work.
I'd think the main issue would be disparate games, all with different lengths, genres, etc. I know the old group Cheaplikeafox mentioned tried to at least do a theme but it's hard to keep everyone unified when they're all doing their own thing.

^_^ And just remind us when you post that there's s link in your sig... so I an look at it in a chrome-incognito window. ;)

That....

That is oddly awesome.

And I must be about the only person who has really been hoping to see Surgeon Simulator in a bundle.
I want it in a bundle too... I just want it at a bundle-price. Again I think Surgeon Sim & BTR2 should swap places.

I'd think the main issue would be disparate games, all with different lengths, genres, etc. I know the old group Cheaplikeafox mentioned tried to at least do a theme but it's hard to keep everyone unified when they're all doing their own thing.
Well...

616vw.jpg

I forget a lot of people don't show sigs. I do so I see it. Maybe post a status update whenever you update the blog since people tend to notice those a bit more.

I like this idea.

There were a few CAGs who tried it last year, it fizzled out, but like two people stayed dedicated I think.

The thing that hurts this bundle is the BTA tier. The $1 tier is pretty good, the thing is I (and I feel like a lot of other CAGs) already have several of the games. If I didn't have Papo & Yo or To The Moon, and my playstation + didn't entitle me to Bit Trip, I'd be ecstatic to get these 4 games for a buck. The BTA tier though...Reus is semi-exciting enough to be in there. But Surgeon Simulator? Ugh. I feel like it would make more sense to have any of the $1 tier games switched with it. If Surgeon Sim was somehow replaced w/something like The Swapper or Spelunky though, this would be a legitimately pretty good bundle.

Another interesting thing is to see in the future is how sales on places like IGS and the Humble store affect bundle sales. The only lower tier game I didn't have was Runner 2, but if I hadn't bought Papo & Yo from IGS for a dollar I'd have had a much different perspective on the lower tier.

Final tallies for numbered bundles:

1 - 138,813 US$1.27+ M
2 - 232,855 US$1.80+ M
3 - 372,399 US$2.16+ M
4 - 435,250 US$2.37+ M
5 - 599,003 US$5.10+ M
6 - 316,272 US$2.05+ M
7 - 395,953 US$2.65+ M
8 - 448,750 US$2.63+ M
9 - 715,012 US$3.50+ M
I was curious why HB5 seemed to do so much more business than the other major numbered bundles, and I still can't figure it out.
1000px-The-humble-bundle-v.png

It seems like the big draws for that bundle were likely Superbrothers, LIMBO and Bastion (Braid and Super Meat Boy had already been bundled multiple times up to that point). I'm not sure why that trifecta of games blew up the bundle to ~$3M more than the others.

If you look at the BTA though, I'm not sure if my perception of the BTA has been skewed so much since the imposed $6 BTA weekly, or if I just misremember properly, but I'm pretty sure we would balk at an almost $8 BTA now.

If you look at the BTA though, I'm not sure if my perception of the BTA has been skewed so much since the imposed $6 BTA weekly, or if I just misremember properly, but I'm pretty sure we would balk at an almost $8 BTA now.
I'd be more than happy to throw $8 at them if they had a lineup similar to that. All of those games were solid at the time(maybe lone survivor being fodder). If they had something like a Rogue legacy or Guacamelee, Papers Please, Don't Starve, Gunpoint, Monaco, and some other game fodder - that would sell like hot cakes.

I'd be more than happy to throw $8 at them if they had a lineup similar to that. All of those games were solid at the time(maybe lone survivor being fodder). If they had something like a Rogue legacy or Guacamelee, Papers Please, Don't Starve, Gunpoint, Monaco, and some other game fodder - that would sell like hot cakes.
And that's what HIB X is missing... a well hyped/liked game in the BTA tier.

I was curious why HB5 seemed to do so much more business than the other major numbered bundles, and I still can't figure it out.

It seems like the big draws for that bundle were likely Superbrothers, LIMBO and Bastion (Braid and Super Meat Boy had already been bundled multiple times up to that point). I'm not sure why that trifecta of games blew up the bundle to ~$3M more than the others.

Bastion and Lone Survivor were huge draws. That was the first time Amnesia, Limbo, and Psychonauts were bundled too. It was a pretty big deal. That's how I got SMB myself, so not too many people had it from prior bundles.

23:40:25 | Pay more than the average of $5.37 to unlock!
3:06:12 | Pay more than the average of $5.36 to unlock!
9:48:54 | Pay more than the average of $5.35 to unlock!
14:57:43 | Pay more than the average of $5.34 to unlock!
18:38:51 | Pay more than the average of $5.33 to unlock!

Pain fully slow :(

It'll be $5 around Monday. Good timing since bonuses likely to unlock on Tuesday.

And that's what HIB X is missing... a well hyped/liked game in the BTA tier.
I'm guessing that they thought Surgeon Sim would be that game. It was hyped up a lot around the time that it came out, but it's not surprising that it has subsided given the lack of real gameplay and how Youtube has moved on.

I'm guessing that they thought Surgeon Sim would be that game. It was hyped up a lot around the time that it came out, but it's not surprising that it has subsided given the lack of real gameplay and how Youtube has moved on.
I feel they knew their BTA was not strong* and thus tried the 1000-limited thing to boost the BTA. ...or maybe vice-versa... it was an experiment to see if they ran a 1000-limited thing could they get away with a poor BTA selection.

Always the possibility of the unlocked games coming - but as of now I'm done putting my good faith in HB
I don't recall offhand a 2nd week addition being make or break for a numbered HIB.

Well, if you would just buy 166,000 bundles for a penny each, you could cut that BTA by about half.

I mean, Amnesia was probably a big draw, too. Plus, overall the quality of that bundle is fantastic, way out of the league of the current bundle.

Trip down memory lane right there... back in those happy and carefree days... when the only concern with HIB was getting in before the BTA rose on the following weekend.

...now days it's deciding if I will pay anything at all...

bread's done
Back