Humble Bundle Thread

I'm kind of tempted to make a CAG themed game with RPG Maker. The ideas that are swirling through my head are probably too ambitious, though I'd imagine at least 30 or so CAGs would enjoy playing it. :whistle2:k
I think if we got a group together to collaborate on such an effort, it could actually happen. As it stands, I doubt any one member is going to start, let alone complete, anything beyond conjecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if we got a group together to collaborate on such an effort, it could actually happen. As it stands, I doubt any one member is going to start, let alone complete, anything beyond conjecture.
I think you're right. Completing a game might be a huge undertaking, let alone the amount of time and polish it would take to make it good. It's still an interesting thought though.

It's probably fun messing around with. I ended up getting $12 tier so I wouldn't be mad that I didn't have that dlc pack later. I'll try it out this weekend.

Usually game makers are good for making a game for friends loaded with inside jokes. I don't think many people are expecting to make something amazing, just something for the funzees

I think you're right. Completing a game might be a huge undertaking, let alone the amount of time and polish it would take to make it good. It's still an interesting thought though.
Hey now, ye of little faith. I've wasted too much of my life hosting IG bundles, so at least this would be something slightly more productive. And I would have something to show for it.

It hardly matters, since none of us are ever getting far enough into our backlog to play it anyway.

consult Kairosoft, as they are pretty damn good with this type of game (see game dev story, dungeon village, etc)

I'll probably get $1, take a week to really get into making RPGs, and then I'll be mad that I didn't get a higher tier.
You have 30 days to up your payment, guy. So get started on that game sometime within the next couple weeks, and you can still upgrade and get the higher tiers.

Edit: Saw that you bought in at the highest tier anyway.

WholeHog.jpg

There are some good tutorials out there; I like this one (set of pdf's) and I recommend the Tutorial Town series for videos (but those are long). Stick to the basics and don't worry about scripting until you're comfortable with everything else first.

You can preview several music packs at the RPG Maker site here.
I downloaded all those PDFs onto my ipad, and watched some of the Town Tutorial last night. I'll need to start off real slow, like you said.

The music samples for the modern pack are OK. Wondering if there's a decent free music creation tool I can use instead...

The music samples for the modern pack are OK. Wondering if there's a decent free music creation tool I can use instead...
Depends what type of music you're looking to make (there are a ton of free midi and chiptune music making programs for instance).

I'm still interested to try making music for a game, if anyone wants some free audio...

Hey now, ye of little faith. I've wasted too much of my life hosting IG bundles, so at least this would be something slightly more productive. And I would have something to show for it.
But just think of all the +1s and bundle happiness you've brought other CAGs for under $2 a pop. I know what you're saying though.

Hey, if you ever make a Zombie RPG I'll help you beta test it, because I know you'd do a zombie game/story the right way.

I'm definitely in for at least $1. Probably won't release anything, but I double majored in Creative Writing and Computer Science, so something that combines programming and creativity/story telling, damn that's just orgasmic. Not sure about the DLC packs or other tiers. From what I've seen VX Ace is better than XP, and I have no clue how beneficial the DLC packs would be. if I can justify the extra $5 for tier 2. And then $12 would be more than I've ever paid for a bundle

Still wondering if I should just get the $6 tier or force myself to buy the $12 tier. Still kind of unsure if that Game Character Hub and the DLC Bundle #3 is worth the extra cash.

Adding the DLC is weird. I'm still not sure if I added it right or at all. It'd be nice if it was auto put into the game.

Using a tutorial, it is really easy to get started. Very time consuming though. Feel like I'm close to getting a short game functioning. I hope it will be easy to share with friends that don't have the game.

My kids - 9 and 11 -  have been making a game in the XV Ace demo since yesterday morning, only stopping to sleep. They just went to get their wallets to chip in their allowance to buy it for $17.50 on Steam, so for them it's certainly worth $1. No, they won't ever make anything worth playing, but I'ld rather they were at least spenindg their time trying then spending hours a day watching ChuggaConroy and Dan The Diamond Minecart videos on Youtube. 

So thanks CAG for saving my kids $15. And thanks for the PDF links and Youtube tutrial vidoes, can't have them go completely cold turkey on YT. 

My kids - 9 and 11 - have been making a game in the XV Ace demo since yesterday morning, only stopping to sleep. They just went to get their wallets to chip in their allowance to buy it for $17.50 on Steam, so for them it's certainly worth $1. No, they won't ever make anything worth playing, but I'ld rather they were at least spenindg their time trying then spending hours a day watching ChuggaConroy and Dan The Diamond Minecart videos on Youtube.

So thanks CAG for saving my kids $15. And thanks for the PDF links and Youtube tutrial vidoes, can't have them go completely cold turkey on YT.
Tell your kids as long as it somehow makes up 20-30 hours, and you can put that in a future game description, it can make it on Steam. :p

Also while Mr. Bree+ is a good decent game (I actually beat it DRM free before it went on Steam so no achievements unless I start over..and no I've only done a few of the unlockable levels), the cards for it sell horribly. I got 3 of the same card, put all 3 a decent few cents below the highest seller and no activity in a few days...I may just have to try to let them go for under 10 cents each....

Tell your kids as long as it somehow makes up 20-30 hours, and you can put that in a future game description, it can make it on Steam. :p

Also while Mr. Bree+ is a good decent game (I actually beat it DRM free before it went on Steam so no achievements unless I start over..and no I've only done a few of the unlockable levels), the cards for it sell horribly. I got 3 of the same card, put all 3 a decent few cents below the highest seller and no activity in a few days...I may just have to try to let them go for under 10 cents each....
I'd have to look again but I vaguely recall some guy putting an RPG Maker game that his kid made up on Greenlight. I would think he embelished it a bit but still, you never know. It's not like Valve has standards these days.

I'd have to look again but I vaguely recall some guy putting an RPG Maker game that his kid made up on Greenlight. I would think he embelished it a bit but still, you never know. It's not like Valve has standards these days.
You might be thinking of Sydney's World, but that's a game that a father made for his daughter. It looks pretty well-made, just designed for kids. I voted for it. Every generation needs a Mystic Quest.

Sydney's World started out as a way to teach my daughter how to make her own game using RPG maker. As the game developed, I got attached to it, and realized it would make a great first RPG for kids, as well as those who like retro-RPG's.

As a father, my priority was to make the game interesting, funny, and to sublty add good decision making skills while immersing my child in meaningful quests in her own world. As a gamer, I wanted to introduce children to RPG's reminicent of my own first RPG's (Final Fantasy II and Phantasy Star 2). As a writer, I felt it imperative to craft a storyline that would interest parents as well as children. As an educator, I recognized that a computer game format would inspire children to create worlds of their own, and could also be an interactive platform to develop reading skills

Sydney's world was designed to be a child's first role playing game. They will enjoy exploring a new world without the usual RPG elements that could be cumbersome to a younger player: equipping/unequipping armor, weapons, and items, buying and selling potions, spells, etc., frequent "game overs" from countless battles, pointless side-quests to get sufficient XP and gold merely to access the next area, and worst of all, lame dialog that kids click to skip as fast as they can.

Retro-RPG gamers can expect an enjoyable storyline, light on combat, heavy on dialog. About five hours for an experienced gamer.

For more information, including a detailed look at the educational reading components, please visit SydneysWorld1.com.

I don't have the patience these days to read the description for Sydney's World, much less help them, they are on their own. The 11 yr old is pretty bright though, he spent the past year reading Wheel of Time, its like 14 books 800-1000 pages each, so they'll be fine. 

Thanks for all the feedback guys and gals, if there are any on here ;-) 

The 11 yr old is pretty bright though, he spent the past year reading Wheel of Time, its like 14 books 800-1000 pages each, so they'll be fine.
IDK, I gave up on it on the 7th book. It started off strong and sustained for a while but it just ground on and on. It was supposed to only be a trilogy.

My family didn't have a TV for a while when I was growing up... my reading skills really took off during that time.

I finished the PDF tutorials today. I must have missed the part about making a quest to repair the ship because I still have a fully functioning ship. Other than that, the tutorials were great.

Went with $12 tier to have everything just in case. I might do a few CAG monsters for anyone to use as practice for my own attempt.

Not bad, I was on BTA fence, this might tip me over.
I was on the BTA fence too, but now I'm sure I won't buy it. Three repeats and I got them all. That's not cool enough for me.

I guess I'll wait for 75% off 2-pack deal on Steam or another bundle.

I wanted breach & clear until I saw some videos.

Played Fieldrunners 1 and... It was fun, for a while.

Already have Ittle dew... It is... Good. Reminds me a bit of goof troop

Frozen synapse is good. Already have it on Steam.

I was on the BTA fence too, but now I'm sure I won't buy it. Three repeats and I got them all. That's not cool enough for me.

I guess I'll wait for 75% off 2-pack deal on Steam or another bundle.
Agreed. Weak even for a PC+Android batch--too many repeats. The only thing I was remotely interested in was Skulls, but I'll wait for it to turn up in a better bundle.

At least I got Ittle Dew out of the BTA.

Frozen Synapse is a horrible unlock -- sort of shocking for Humble. I'm not surprised to get Fieldrunners since Fieldrunners 2 was in the bundle, though I was hoping not since I already own it. 

Fieldrunners

Frozen Synapse

bread's done
Back