Humble Bundle Thread

I'm new to the Humble Bundles, so forgive me for asking an obvious question (I didn't go back through all 500 pages of this thread.) What's the strategy here? I think I get it, penny in, wait for the beat the average to go down, then add more money. Is that pretty much what's going on?
Pennyin' in stores that BTA for you. I forget how much longer (other CAGs can confirm this) you can increase your value of the bundle by paying and get the BTA or other tiers of the bundle. A lot of CAGs penny in on book/comic/graphic novel bundles as most don't read any of it or just don't know if they like the content. I'm one of those except for the good graphic novel bundles.

Pennyin' in stores that BTA for you. I forget how much longer (other CAGs can confirm this) you can increase your value of the bundle by paying and get the BTA or other tiers of the bundle. A lot of CAGs penny in on book/comic/graphic novel bundles as most don't read any of it or just don't know if they like the content. I'm one of those except for the good graphic novel bundles.
You have 30 days from the end of the bundle to increase your purchase amount. The BTA of the bundle when you initially purchased is locked in for that entire time.

Pennying in locks the BTA. If it goes higher, you have a lowered BTA locked in. If it happens to goes lower, you lost the penny, cause you would just buy another bundle at the lower BTA.

And you get 30 days after the bundle ends to decide if you want it at the locked BTA. Or you let it lapse, and lose a penny for being able to take 5-6 weeks to decide whether you wanted it.

I'm new to the Humble Bundles, so forgive me for asking an obvious question (I didn't go back through all 500 pages of this thread.) What's the strategy here? I think I get it, penny in, wait for the beat the average to go down, then add more money. Is that pretty much what's going on?
Don't know how other cags to it, but I like to have at least two windows open. One is on auto refresh and the other is/are my bta placeholder. If the auto refresh page gets a lower bta price than the other window, I immediately refresh the others to get the lower bta.

This usually works best when the bundle first starts as the bta price likes to swing up & down, and then it'll bottom out [you penny in here] and start its upward climb.

The main 2 week bundles have games that unlock after a week, which for me is the main benefit to locking in the BTA (having all the information before making the purchase instead of just guessing/hoping).

The 30 days thing is there too, but for me it's just a trick to make myself buy the whole thing so I can quit thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems it's worth restating my BTA strategy... including captcha-proofing.

I use Chrome.  (Other browsers may work, but I can only vouch for Chrome's behavior.)

I use two windows, one normal window, one incognito window.  I refresh the one with the higher BTA.  I do not use multiple tabs.

When I decide to buy in, I right click the tab and duplicate it.  This spawns a copy of that tab (created from the cache, hence don't use multiple tabs, if you do the duplicate with be the newest version, normal and incognito windows have separate caches).  Now I have two identical tabs with the lowest BTA.  If I screw up the captcha I close the tab, and re-dup from my good original (be careful not to return to the main page).

This strategy is simple, but I bet a lot of folks can't follow simple directions because:

you-are-here-bell-curve.jpg

It's also worth noting that, while the BTA generally starts high right at the beginning, it generally swings down for a short time. The lowest price is usually found within the first couple hours, often significantly less; and after it starts going consistently up once it's a few hours in, it rarely goes back down to any significant degree, and virtually never comes back anywhere close to the lows of the first couple hours or so.

It's also nice, even if you know you'll BTA or high tier it, to just penny/dollar in at first, and wait a couple days at least to increase so you aren't contributing to the BTA creep; it doesn't make much difference though, so if you think you might forget, don't worry about it.

Oh, and if you penny in or want to increase your order amount for any reason, the price you put in later is how much you're increasing, not the final total. Sorry if that seems obvious, but I've seen people lose dollars that way before, so I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

I use the strategy of being competent at inputting captchas. It saves a lot of time.
Yeah, well, this is what happens when you get in a hurry: you completely forget that you have to check that stupid box and then jump through whatever subsequent hoop the site asks of you. And then you end up probably paying $7 for a bunch of ebooks instead of $6 and you wonder where you went wrong in your life.

Yeah, well, this is what happens when you get in a hurry: you completely forget that you have to check that stupid box and then jump through whatever subsequent hoop the site asks of you. And then you end up probably paying $7 for a bunch of ebooks instead of $6 and you wonder where you went wrong in your life.
$7 for ebooks? What is this, the Fresh Prints of Bel Air?

It's a penny or nothing, Carlton.

An Imp? A Fiend!

5GLF8-27LTC-Q6K37
It was taken when I tried. But I had never even heard of the game until you posted that. And after checking the greenlight page, it doesn't really look like my sort of game. So it's just as well that I missed out. Hopefully it went to somebody who'll like it better than i would have.

Thanks for sharing though.

New Humble Weekly Bundle - Roguelikes 2:

• Vertical Drop Heroes HD
  • A Wizard's Lizard
  • The Nightmare Cooperative
Beat the Average for:

• Road Not Taken
  • Delver (Early Access)
Pay $8 or more for:

• Heavy Bullets

New Humble Weekly:

Tier 1 - $1 minimum for Steam keys

• Vertical Drop Heroes HD
  • A Wizard's Lizard
  • The Nightmare Cooperative
Tier 2 - BTA

• Road Not Taken
  • Delver (Early Access)
Tier 3 - $8 or more

• Heavy Bullets

From what I've played;

A wizard's Lizard is a pretty cute little Isaac clone, though not as good as Isaac: Rebirth,

Nightmare Cooperative is weak, from what I played of it, and it's already been bundled. Not really worth a play, imo.

I really enjoyed Road Not Taken. The aesthetics are pure magic, and while the game could be considered somewhat short, discovering all the different combinations you can make in those first few hours is very fun. It's definitely worth at least one run through.

Definitely in for the BTA. Considering Heavy Bullets. Nah, BTA dropping enough to rule out Heavy Bullets.

You realize you get more than just Heavy Bullets with the $8 tier, right?
Sure, but if I'm to be enticed by an upper tier, I don't want to be paying basically full price for that game.

Anyway, I really, really want Delver but I didn't like Road Not Taken & I've already got 2 of the 3 games in the $1 tier. Pass, but if anyone is looking to sell Delver, shoot me a PM.

You realize you get more than just Heavy Bullets with the $8 tier, right?
I think he's trying to say that it's a weird title to have as a third-tier. Which it is.

I regret not keeping my Heavy Bullets copy now too, I knew it'd be Humble Bundled eventually, but not like this..

Sure, but if I'm to be enticed by an upper tier, I don't want to be paying basically full price for that game.
But you're not...you're paying the difference between the BTA tier and the high tier. Assuming for a moment that the BTA gets down to $4, that means you would only be paying $4 for Heavy Bullets. Not saying that's the lowest price for it, but it's not bad at all and far from "a joke".

I think he's trying to say that it's a weird title to have as a third-tier. Which it is.

I regret not keeping my Heavy Bullets copy now too, I knew it'd be Humble Bundled eventually, but not like this..
Weird, sure, but it's a well-regarded game that's still new to the bundle scene, so I wasn't expecting to see it low to begin with.

bread's done
Back