Humble Bundle Thread

IG does consistently get 3 bundles out a week. I know cause I look at all the games eventually, but the quality is usually middling to extremely garbage. Their newest one is more expensive and has better games, but contains older and somewhat rebundled games. Just can't win with IG often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Humble was declining even before IGN got hold of them, in my opinion. The golden age of bundles is definitely over.
Humble died when they started consistently adding fixed price tiers to inflate the BTA, stopped unlocking the second week additions for people buying into the lowest tier, and started putting nothing but 2-3 groupees reject quality games in the $1 tier.

Remember when you could pay what you want and get 5 good games? What happened to that?

Remember when you could pay what you want and get 5 good games? What happened to that?
There was a wide assortment of publishers who (a) had a lot of quality games that had never been bundled, (b) still believed that they'd make it up in volume and ( c) were new enough that "I'll wait for the bundle" wasn't yet a customer mantra devaluing games before they even launched.

As much as I'd love a couple awesome bundles a month, I figure it's the same thing that killed Amazon's game deals: All the low-hanging fruit has been picked and now it's increasingly harder to find interested quality publishers or to convince them to give up their better games. IG & Groupees can keep pumping out bundles because it's all the "150 new games on Steam daily" shovelware crap no one was going to buy anyway.

why no bundle, humble bundle?
A couple of possible reasons.

1) Because we're still within the 2 week refund window on Steam & devs/publishers don't want the avalanche of refunds.

2) Above & beyond point 1, Humble is finding it increasingly difficult to find dev/publishers willing to have their games in a bundle.

3) Humble sucks now

4) All of the above

What's happened to Humble is what happened to Steam.  When word of mouth/hype spread enough there was no need to go with crazy deep discounts.  Now you have a culture of 'chique' gamers who game because nerds are cool and it's the 'in' thing.  They think games like Cuphead are worth $20 (if you're one of these people... yes, I'm afraid you're a chique gamer).  So they see a Chuck Tingle bundle and immediately buy it for $15 because it's hip to be square.  Super Meatboy on 'sale' for $29.99?!?!?!  WUT A STEAL?!?!?

Just look at the majority of threads on CAG to see what I'm talking about.  People getting excited about buying an 8-bit NES remake for $100 or getting a kewl $5 off a $30 hint book.

I definitely think the PC Gamer market got significantly larger in the past 8 years, and publishers aren't as desperate to sell their games to as many people as possible

Honestly if we'd all stopped buying games today and just played what was in our backlog, it'd easily last us several years, up to a decade, depending on how big the backlog is. 

But who are we kidding. Nobody plays games. We just collect them.

Just look at the majority of threads on CAG to see what I'm talking about. People getting excited about buying an 8-bit NES remake for $100 or getting a kewl $5 off a $30 hint book.
I know someone who has spent more time playing his NES Classic over the last two weeks than games in his Steam library.

Next time I look in the mirror and see that guy I'm gonna give him a punch to the face.

Honestly if we'd all stopped buying games today and just played what was in our backlog, it'd easily last us several years, up to a decade, depending on how big the backlog is.

I've been playing lots (of pinball.)

That might be true for people who buy trashy bundles, certainly isn't true for me.

I know someone who has spent more time playing his NES Classic over the last two weeks than games in his Steam library.

Next time I look in the mirror and see that guy I'm gonna give him a punch to the face.
Could have sold you my original NES plus 50 or so games for cheaper!

I just got this email from Humble:

We recently identified an issue in which Humble Monthly subscribers who purchased the annual plan during a Wallet Credit promotional period were not properly upgraded.

We have identified all affected customers, including yourself, and have switched your Humble Monthly subscription to an annual plan as intended.

If you wish to stay on an annual plan, no additional action is required on your part.

If you want to make adjustments to your Humble Monthly subscription such as changing your plan type, pausing your subscription, or updating your payment information, be sure to do so before your next billing date from your User Settings page. Your next billing date is Friday, August 31, 2018.

I've never done an annual subscription - though I did subscribe on a 3-month plan when they were offering credit for that and just used my last month.  I guess just keep an eye out if you did that, too.

Any other pocket-protector nerds in here who can tell me if I'll like the D&D comic bundle if I enjoy D&D (well, 3rd edition, anyway), have no investment in D&D literature, and find most comics pretty boring?

Any other pocket-protector nerds in here who can tell me if I'll like the D&D comic bundle if I enjoy D&D (well, 3rd edition, anyway), have no investment in D&D literature, and find most comics pretty boring?
Lots of comics about Baldur's Gate/IWD characters so you can probably play those games, if you haven't before. And if you have, you are probably a nerd who would like them.

And comics about Drizz't which.... holy shit, Crystal Shard came out in 1988.  They've been beating that character into the ground for thirty damn years now.  Dorks have been born, gone to medical school and become fully licensed surgeons without ever knowing a world that didn't have "Hurr, well my character is a drow ranger with two scimitars and also a Figurine of Wonderous Power but this one is, like, a lion instead of a panther so it's totally different."

For what it's worth, a few of these are repeats from other comic bundles. 

Also, if you read those Drizz't books, I don't see the point in buying a comic-book adaptation of them. I mean, I know R.A. Salvatore's running out of money, but you could just support his GoFundMe page or something. 

For what it's worth, a few of these are repeats from other comic bundles.

Also, if you read those Drizz't books, I don't see the point in buying a comic-book adaptation of them. I mean, I know R.A. Salvatore's running out of money, but you could just support his GoFundMe page or something.
as someone who reads a lot of comix, sometimes licensed stuff like this can feature a creative team that's way too talented to be slumming it, and occasionally it's just a backdoor to tell whatever other story they wanted. For example, recently Garth Ennis wrote a fucking World of Tanks-branded book drawn by PJ Holden which was really just one of his solid war stories. Good reading despite the in-name-only tie-in.

but, uh. this is not one of those times.

And comics about Drizz't which.... holy shit, Crystal Shard came out in 1988. They've been beating that character into the ground for thirty damn years now. Dorks have been born, gone to medical school and become fully licensed surgeons without ever knowing a world that didn't have "Hurr, well my character is a drow ranger with two scimitars and also a Figurine of Wonderous Power but this one is, like, a lion instead of a panther so it's totally different."
Well I'm certainly not a licensed surgeon.

Larry Davis is an old white guy, confirmed.

I don't see how you can dislike Jaime aside from residual Kord feelings, though. The guy's darkest desire is to become a dentist and make six figures.
actually I've come around on him quite a bit since his introduction, but I didn't like that early stuff.

it's really just weird to me that DC hasn't brought Kord back, the two Beetles are different enough that it wouldn't be weird to have them both around. Look how many goddamn Green Lanterns are in the current books, after all.

the bundles are dyin', Cloud
They're too busy with IGN FGOTM. Also, inb4 they make a bundle of previous FGOTM games.

Those Final Fantasy sale prices are pretty bad, even with the extra discount. Why is FF9 only 30% off these days? And who's buying the shit remakes of 4-6?

actually I've come around on him quite a bit since his introduction, but I didn't like that early stuff.

it's really just weird to me that DC hasn't brought Kord back, the two Beetles are different enough that it wouldn't be weird to have them both around. Look how many goddamn Green Lanterns are in the current books, after all.
Kord was in the Rebirth series, though not as Blue Beetle (at least in what I've read). I have to imagine they will bring him back in the suit soon given that the Jaime books never seem to last.

Kord was in the Rebirth series, though not as Blue Beetle (at least in what I've read). I have to imagine they will bring him back in the suit soon given that the Jaime books never seem to last.
Oh right, I forgot about that. I think they did a similar thing with Ray Palmer, where he's also retired as the Atom but is still around.

But hey, Cyborg books never last, doesn't stop them from constantly trying to make Cyborg a Thing.

And who's buying the shit remakes of 4-6?

tenor.gif

Bruh FF6 looks worse on Steam than on SNES, and that's not even the best version of the game. The GBA version (that you can emulate for free) has the PC translation and color palette, but with more dungeons and espers. PC iOS port battle screen looks like RPG Maker bundle fodder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevK81DgOWc

Bruh FF6 looks worse on Steam than on SNES, and that's not even the best version of the game. The GBA version (that you can emulate for free) has the PC translation and color palette, but with more dungeons and espers. PC iOS port battle screen looks like RPG Maker bundle fodder.

It's super weird that Squenix has been doing all these iOS and PC ports of their pre-PSX games over the last decade and for the most part the definitive versions of those games are still the GBA ports from like 20 years ago.

It's super weird that Squenix has been doing all these iOS and PC ports of their pre-PSX games over the last decade and for the most part the definitive versions of those games are still the GBA ports from like 20 years ago.
It's better than remaking the games into ARPG crap like that ARPG FF VII game they're making that literally nobody asked for.

because Nintendo "c0ckbl0ck" them from using the "definitive" version when it comes to porting? because the Switch needs portings more than any other platforms (i.e. go online and look at the comment under every single new game announcement --> "Switch port when?" ) :whistle2: :shock:

Have any modder gone ahead & modded in the old sprites, done any graphical color mods, and/or worked any other magic to make FF6 Steam-version look like the old FF6 version yet?

Also, how's Chrono Trigger Steam-port been coming along? I know it's been officially being worked on to fix UI and some other stuff, but haven't been following it of late. Has it been improved of late?

It's better than remaking the games into ARPG crap like that ARPG FF VII game they're making that literally nobody asked for.
i had to look up what you were talking about. It sounded like you were talking about a completely different game. The FF VII Remake is not going to be a ARPG.

bread's done
Back