Humble Bundle Thread

Wasn't The Division free on UPlay or something? I seem to have it there and I've never played it. I'm pretty sure I've never purchased anything at that store.
It was either a dollar or 1 cent on newegg during a price glitch. It came out in 2016 and The Division 2 comes out soon. Pretty weak headliner. Yakuza 0 is decent though

Last edited by a moderator:
Y
photo-thumb-370695.png
U
photo-thumb-370695.png
NO
photo-thumb-370695.png
WEN?????

Tried to sell off Division but I'm fairly lazy.  Basically it's: do I want to do the front-work and try to unload the reveals for like $8 and pay $4 for a grab bag or do I just want to wait and see if the unlocks are even worth it and maybe buy them then for like $2.

Tried to sell off Division but I'm fairly lazy. Basically it's: do I want to do the front-work and try to unload the reveals for like $8 and pay $4 for a grab bag or do I just want to wait and see if the unlocks are even worth it and maybe buy them then for like $2.
honestly it just depends on how flexible your tastes in games are and if you're willing to deal with the cesspool

for me though it's typically worth it to buy regardless. this wasn't a great bundle for what i would want but i sold jc3/project cars/sundered/qube for a total of 12 dollars. i have the year subscription so i got paid a dollar to keep wizard of legend/observer/darkside detective

honestly it just depends on how flexible your tastes in games are and if you're willing to deal with the cesspool

for me though it's typically worth it to buy regardless. this wasn't a great bundle for what i would want but i sold jc3/project cars/sundered/qube for a total of 12 dollars. i have the year subscription so i got paid a dollar to keep wizard of legend/observer/darkside detective
jSinYyZ.png

If I were more proactive as far as cesspooling the $40 discount on the yearly sub would probably be worth it.  As it stands, though, it is kind of rare that I am interested in more than one or two unlocks when I don't end up buying for the early reveals.  And from what I've seen in the cesspool the unlock games usually don't sell for more than $1-2 each.

Am also sort of on the fence with Yakuza 0 but that's mostly because of Denuvo which, sadly, seems to be proliferating nearly every other AAA release these days.

On the one hand, Denuvo sucks. On the other hand, Yakuza 0 is good. Like, really good. This is maybe the first open world/area game I've played in a long time where the side stuff is actually fun and not just boring filler. Not to mention the story is legitimately intriguing and entertaining. Kiwami just shot up to a Day 1 purchase.

On the one hand, Denuvo sucks. On the other hand, Yakuza 0 is good. Like, really good. This is maybe the first open world/area game I've played in a long time where the side stuff is actually fun and not just boring filler. Not to mention the story is legitimately intriguing and entertaining. Kiwami just shot up to a Day 1 purchase.
Isn't it sort of Sleeping Dogs 0.5?

Isn't it sort of Sleeping Dogs 0.5?
Well, leaving aside that Yakuza is Japanese and Sleeping Dogs is Chinese. . . not really. Sleeping Dogs feels like a really well-done version of any of the last three GTA games in an authentic Hong Kong setting (well, it seems authentic to me). Yakuza 0 is like an old console idea of what a modern open-world game would look like. At this point, you're asking, "well, how is that different from what I said?" I can't put my finger on it, other than to say I'd play that game in a heartbeat (Sleeping Dogs 0.5), but Yakuza, despite it being rather insistent on its own fundamental coolness, is just not that easy to get into. At times, it's downright boring.

Yakuza is slow and you have to have a knack for beat em ups and sometimes silly side missions. Even in Yakuza 0 it feels old school still. I love it, but it's clunky as heck at times. 

Yakuza 0 feels much more like a modern-day Shenmue than a Sleeping Dogs or GTA-style game. It's not exactly open-world, but you still generally have freedom to run around a smaller district that's filled to the brim with sub-stories and side activities. 13 hours into the game and I've barely touched the main story. Not that it hasn't captivated me, but I just getting side-tracked along the way, whether it be arcade games, bowling, pool, dancing, karaoke, gambling, pocket car racing, or the occasional eccentric side story.

Did buy Yakuza 0 prior to this Monthly announcement, so this is my first sacrifice since Metal Gear Solid V. Balances out nabbing Just Cause 3 XXL from a great trade last month. Is The Division the first Ubisoft game in a Humble Monthly since South Park: The Stick of Truth? Though that was a Steam key.

Note that you do not get the 10% sub discount or 5% back; there does appear to be a $5 off coupon though. This is interesting though, wonder if they will be offering PSN games in the future (like some bundles were).

Wow, so apparently Humble is now selling Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS games on their store (United States only though).

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/nintendo/

How is everyone selling their tom clancy division from the monthly???

it looks like you need to link the account and you can't gift it

https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004546107-Uplay-Redemption-Instructions

so the buyer would need to give you their uplay account and seller link it for them??
Think about it. You think anyone who's buying discounted Ubi games 3 years after release has anything of value in their account? What are you going to do? Steal their free copy of Anno?

It's called the licenses for these ebooks are extremely cheap so lets sell them for higher than they should go bundle. That's a huge pass. The Python bundle was an easy buy though. Always like to get these cheap and improve my programming skills with them. 

Man, I don't know what's worse.

More of the same bundle of python books or the fact that their website makes it nearly impossible to see what the new bundles are anymore.

For cameras that are 5-10 years old. I don't know who they're targeting.
And yet my T2i isn't included. The $1 tier is odd, but could correlate with the higher bundles if one owned one of those. Not sure the higher bundles are worth it though.

It must be a theme week.

Humble Software Bundle: Professional Photography

EDIT: I guess that came out 2 weeks ago. I have not been paying attention.
I'm actually curious about this one. I haven't been into photo editing for a couple decades, but Corel used to be one of the better brands for it. My daughter is interested in doing digital art with her new wacom and photo editing. Is this a good bundle? Doesn't have to be the best, but a good starting point at least. Considering the $15 tier.

It's called the licenses for these ebooks are extremely cheap so lets sell them for higher than they should go bundle. That's a huge pass. The Python bundle was an easy buy though. Always like to get these cheap and improve my programming skills with them.
I'm thinking of looking into Python so the $1 tier is easy for me too. Any opinions on the higher bundles? Would they be useful sooner or are they more advanced?

So as someone whose main experience with photography is pointing his phone at his cat and making shutter noises with his mouth, can I assume from the reactions in this thread that this book bundle isn’t worth getting for a relative who’s actually into cameras?

I'm thinking of looking into Python so the $1 tier is easy for me too. Any opinions on the higher bundles? Would they be useful sooner or are they more advanced?
Honestly I think this python bundle is trash unless you are specifically interested in those specific areas it covers. All of their previous programming (let alone python specific) bundles have been much more oriented to the beginner. This includes only 1 or 2 that would actually be useful to a beginner where as usually at least an entire tier would be useful.

IMHO Id just wait for the next programming/python/diy bundle, probably have a selection of the better books

I'm not 100% sure of all the quality of the books, but Python for the cookbook (this may be useful early) and data structure and algorithms would likely be good starts. Later one can learn some cool things like networking, machine learning and automation, which are a bit more on the complex side. I just buy programming books so I'm not sure of the usefulness of these. I pretty much only know ones I've used a bunch like O'Reilly ones. I usually highly recommend those though for being generally informative and easier to use.

For Python I learned from an earlier version of Learn Python The Hard Way. It helped me a lot probably more than any other Python book, but that's just personal experience.

The only good Python books are ones dealing with machine learning, since that's where the industry is heading. It's actually not a bad bundle, but there have been multiple Python bundles over the past year that have similar content. And honestly, I think a majority of people lack the focus to learn through books these days. I think it's easier to learn through MOOCs where there's more interaction and stronger motivation; unless you're quizzing yourself, creating the deadlines yourself, and coming up with examples yourself, you'll do better with MOOCs.

Coursera, edx, and Udemy all have auditable, free Python 3 MOOCs, with Coursera and edx specifically giving the option to pay for accredited certifications from universities. You can even use a college/university email to sign up for three months of Pluralsight, and their content is top notch.

Plenty of other ways to learn Python.

I'm actually curious about this one. I haven't been into photo editing for a couple decades, but Corel used to be one of the better brands for it. My daughter is interested in doing digital art with her new wacom and photo editing. Is this a good bundle? Doesn't have to be the best, but a good starting point at least. Considering the $15 tier.
What can it do that the free GIMP cannot?

Coursera, edx, and Udemy all have auditable, free Python 3 MOOCs, with Coursera and edx specifically giving the option to pay for accredited certifications from universities. You can even use a college/university email to sign up for three months of Pluralsight, and their content is top notch.

Plenty of other ways to learn Python.
this

Anyway you can just learn online, preferably with a playground that can guide you, you are going to learn a lot more at a quicker pace than trying to copy pasta out of a book.

Basically how I learned go for this job was using the go playground when i needed to test something and just using their api reference docs (though thats easier once you have a programming background to begin with). That and already having a project in mind (a couple discord bots) but thats only really useful if you already know how to program in general so you know what you are looking for when you want to do something, knowing what you dont know and how to search for it is a key concept

Where are the "I did the nasty with a androgynous marmoset" slash-fic book bundles that they love... Aren't they about due for one?
Blade posted about that on the last page. I think he's looking forward to one today.

The button up top that says bundles and the countdown timer makes it difficult to know what's new?
I didn't see this in yellow
Yes. If you haven't seen the old site, it was much easier to see a list of the current bundles before without all of the ridiculous Groupees-style menus and button-clicking.

And yet my T2i isn't included. The $1 tier is odd, but could correlate with the higher bundles if one owned one of those. Not sure the higher bundles are worth it though.

The problem with this one is that the best application in it has gone to the same software-as-service model that Adobe is now doing, which is the ACDSee app. It's a good all-around replacement for something like Lightroom, but like Lightroom the only version available that is current is a subscription model where the software literally stops working after your sub elapses. I think this would be well worth the $25 if the ACDSee app were not a time-limited program.

I use CameraBag to add watermarks to photos with relative ease. The $1 tier software is just gimmicky crap no one is really going to seriously use. I've honestly never used a version of PSP, although I do have a fuzzy recollection that it was popular back in the day. At the moment, I'm using a combination of things for photo editing, mostly PhotoShop Elements 2018 and ON1 Camera Raw for some stuff; both of these are standalone applications that you just pay for once, sort of like how all software used to be.

Hm. Don't know whether those comments helped any, but those are my impressions.

So as someone whose main experience with photography is pointing his phone at his cat and making shutter noises with his mouth, can I assume from the reactions in this thread that this book bundle isn’t worth getting for a relative who’s actually into cameras?
The top tier is mostly filler, but if it's someone who's interested in photographic technique, the $8 tier looks decent. The $1 tier is, of course, mainly for someone who owns one of these specific cameras or is in the market for one. The manuals that actually come with cameras these days aren't that great. I had to buy a $37 book to learn how to use my newish Panasonic camera. Of course, as a kid fresh out of grad school, I quickly absorbed a lot about cameras and photography that I have long since forgotten, but that's the price of getting old.

Blade posted about that on the last page. I think he's looking forward to one today.

Yes. If you haven't seen the old site, it was much easier to see a list of the current bundles before without all of the ridiculous Groupees-style menus and button-clicking.
I'll disagree here. I think the way Humble has their site set up for seeing the bundles works rather well.

It used to be that the main landing page would take you directly to the current main bundle, with tabs for a few other bundles. You'd need to click on each tab to see what it actually was, and how long it had to run. I was used to it, and was quite cross when they switched, but that was only because someone moved my cheese.

Once I got over my annoyance over things changing, the new site works better in terms of quickly getting an overview of bundles. One click from any page brings up a full-page grid of all active bundles, with names and some art to give a sense of what they are, plus a countdown timer on each.

I can't say I like the endless scroll dump of the main Humble landing page, but given that the Steam store does the same thing any complaint on my part would be of the man-yells-at-cloud variety.

I vaguely recall the old way but I read the other response and now I remember it.
Yeah, I much prefer the new way.
but, is all good....i also dont go to other bundle sites so that might be why I dont have issues with it.

Do the trades tend to include the covers? Also, trades might include some sort of extra art or something.
Trades usually include the covers, but not always.

I would have preferred that they just include the trades, as I'll never open the single issues. The singles do occasionally include exclusive backmatter, but I don't know if that's the case here.

Honestly, I just feel like they included both to make it look like you're getting more than you actually are.

Trades usually include the covers, but not always.

I would have preferred that they just include the trades, as I'll never open the single issues. The singles do occasionally include exclusive backmatter, but I don't know if that's the case here.

Honestly, I just feel like they included both to make it look like you're getting more than you actually are.
Possibly. But at the same time including both really isn't anything to them. Why not do it and cater to everyone who would favor one format over the other, no matter what that format might be?

bread's done
Back