Humble Bundle Thread

Thanks for filling in the blanks for me on Yakuza 0, it sounds like I made a good choice to skip as it's just not my thing, apparently.
hal, I think we have similar tastes, so I'll just agree that you probably wouldn't like it.

I loved Sleeping Dogs. That game was awesome. Not only that about the actual game itself...but the voice-acting, character stuff and story was also really good in that game.

Yakuza 0 is also great, from what I've played so far. Not only is the main quest & the story/character stuff excellent so far - but with so much variety in the side-quests and mini-games, this is just really hard to put down b/c it doesn't feel like it has that UbiSoft grinding & repetition.

I don't know how anyone can go wrong with either title, TBH.
I have struggled to get into Yakuza. The story isn't really compelling and the game doesn't do much to push you into moving it along. It seems like a game that's made for people who want to dick around doing Guitar Hero-wannabe-karaoke, arcade game-within-a-game, and randomly-beating-up-dudes-on-the-street minigames instead of actually playing through a story. It's not just that those things are there, but rather that, on some level, the game seems to want you to forget about the main story and just screw around in a way that I haven't seen in any other open-world-type game. Granted, I have little direct experience with Japanese games, so maybe most of them are like this.

It's possible that it's just me, but I feel the same way about GTA V at this point. In that case, it may have something to do with the game having multiple protagonists whose missions you can complete in a seemingly-random order. Also it probably has something to do with all of said protagonists being remarkably unlikeable and unsympathetic figures.

hal, I think we have similar tastes, so I'll just agree that you probably wouldn't like it.

I have struggled to get into Yakuza. The story isn't really compelling and the game doesn't do much to push you into moving it along. It seems like a game that's made for people who want to dick around doing Guitar Hero-wannabe-karaoke, arcade game-within-a-game, and randomly-beating-up-dudes-on-the-street minigames instead of actually playing through a story. It's not just that those things are there, but rather that, on some level, the game seems to want you to forget about the main story and just screw around in a way that I haven't seen in any other open-world-type game. Granted, I have little direct experience with Japanese games, so maybe most of them are like this.

It's possible that it's just me, but I feel the same way about GTA V at this point. In that case, it may have something to do with the game having multiple protagonists whose missions you can complete in a seemingly-random order. Also it probably has something to do with all of said protagonists being remarkably unlikeable and unsympathetic figures.
This is probably a problem with starting with 0. Yakuza 0 came out after the fifth main entry in the series, and was therefore made with the expectation that the audience would already know and be invested in the protagonists; you absolutely can go into 0 first and enjoy it if you like that kind of game, but I feel like it helps a lot if you’re already familiar with Kiryu and his future struggles outside the yakuza, and have gotten used to Majima’s antics.

The main story also just really isn’t as strong as the rest of the saga, since it really is sort of an afterthought prequel. Not saying it’s bad, but definitely not as well thought out.

That said, you’ll find that kind of in-your-face minigames everywhere setup in all the Yakuza games. It’s part of their charm, but it’s also part of why I haven’t actually beaten any yet (though to be fair, I’m notoriously bad about completing games, I’ve only been playing Yakuza games for less than two years, and I’ve spent a lot of that time getting sucked back into Monster Hunter).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being able to own a PS+ game when redeeming a code is one of the biggest BS things with Sony's digital store.
Honestly it just sounds like an unintentional oversight/bad piece of code to me. Sony's store isn't exactly the most confidence-inspiring.

Honestly it just sounds like an unintentional oversight/bad piece of code to me. Sony's store isn't exactly the most confidence-inspiring.
I would agree with you except that this is a problem that has existed for at least the last five years or so (as long as I've owned a PS3). If Sony really wanted to fix this, they could. At this point, you can't blame this on ignorance unless it's wanton ignorance.

eh, it's pretty good if you don't have a pc .but for pc owners who get humble bundles it sucks
Grim Fandango, Broken Age, Killing Floor 2 have all been on PS+ before.

The top tier bundle consists of a game that was on PS+, and a game that was given away for free on GOG.

I understand that GOG isn't PS4, but when a game has already been given away for free on any platform, it's unlikely to be the last time. Shadow Warrior 2 seems like a choice for a future PS+ pick.

The Talos Principle is god-tier gaming. Not sure what the debbie downers are bitching about...
Bard's Tale and Wasteland 2 are also really great. The games are good if you don't have them. It's just that lots are previous PS+ giveaways or have been given away or bundled on other platforms.

Last month was great, but this month looks okay.

BTW, EDF 4.1 is the base game plus apparently all available DLC. And each DLC is a separate key. So there's ~20 keys to activate.

Would have liked Sniper Elite 3 and Rock of Ages 2, but overall I think the decision to skip this month was certainly the right call.

Crappy last month and crappy looking next month since I have you know, most of the games or don't really care about a IGN Cultist Simulator. Sniper3 is a reapeat isn't it? I love Vermintide but yeah... I bought it on release. Hopefully the collectors edition upgrade is a seperate key.

Sniper3 is a reapeat isn't it?
I could've sworn it was a Humble repeat, but it was actually bundled a couple times on GMG. Once in a $4 bundle w/ two other games, once in a $50 bundle for charity. It also had a free weekend on Steam a while ago and I recall wanting to speed through it but never bothered.

Lots of good looking games in this month and for the unlocks next month, but don't know if I'm actually going to play any of them. I guess that's often the case with these bundles, but I didn't own any of these already and the gap between their quality and my level of interest in them is at an all time max, i.e., they all look like really good games, but I can't muster up excitement for any of them.

Crappy last month and crappy looking next month since I have you know, most of the games or don't really care about a IGN Cultist Simulator. Sniper3 is a reapeat isn't it?
Sniper Elite III isn't a repeat, but 4 was in a Monthly last year. Owning 2 and 4 from bundles, I'm not sure why I would be excited about 3.

I love Vermintide but yeah... I bought it on release. Hopefully the collectors edition upgrade is a seperate key.
It is not.

Vermintide 2 is great, it's a really fun game. Not so sure about the other 2 unlocks though, probably not worth it already owning vermintide.

This is probably the first month I haven't been interested in any game out of a full months unlocks.

If anyone wasn't wanting Sniper Elite 3 or Rock of Ages 2 I'd trade for them. Might be slightly interested in other titles from this month. Very slightly. Might.

SE 3 is a pretty awesome title. I find it strangely reminiscent of the Hitman series, which is a huge positive. Plus, back when it came out, it was one of the best running PC games I'd ever played.

Fair enough, but I think organs and skulls explode the same in any language.
The games have improved a lot over the years though. 4 has more features and a bigger focus on stealth. But I'm a big fan of the series. If you aren't or haven't played them, they are basically interchangeable with different environments/stories.

Glad I didn't buy Vermintide 2 the other day when someone was trying to talk me into it.  Cultist Simulator and Full Metal Furies were on my wishlist.   Had EDF but nice to get the rest of the DLC I suppose.  I really need to start getting rid of the games I already have instead of letting them pile up though.  Too lazy to use the cesspool.  

Vermintide 2 has been discounted quite frequently as of late. The first game was a headliner too before it started to get frequently bundled. Earth Defense Force seems to be a compelling unlock. I missed getting EDF Insect Armageddon game when it was on deep discount during the 2017 Steam Winter Sale, but this seems better all around.

Last month was great, but this month looks okay.

BTW, EDF 4.1 is the base game plus apparently all available DLC. And each DLC is a separate key. So there's ~20 keys to activate.
Awesome @ EDF 4.1 in there w/ all DLC's.

Bleh @ 20 keys to activate to get them all up & activated.

Awesome @ Vermintide 2 in here.

Looks like another sub for me.

Sniper Elite 3 pretty much the only thing I would have wanted from this bundle so glad I skipped.  Next month looks okay.  Will probably sub.  Also guessing it is only base Sniper Elite 3 without DLC?  I can just wait for it to be super cheap with DLC when Sniper Elite 5 comes out!

Yeah, so glad I finally remembered to pause. Furies, Bleed 2, and Super Daryl all seem like games I might give a try but never finish. There's certainly not an incredible value there for me.

I might be down for defending the earth and killing some vermin, however.

Decent enough unlocks. Nothing i'm too excited for, but eh. Also Cultist Simulator was very over hyped. I maybe didn't get it but I played it a few hours and it was feeling extremely repetitive and like busy work. I was also not a huge fan of the cult part of it. I love card games, but I just couldn't get into it. After a while I didn't feel like it was respecting my time and said forget about it. I did play 12 hours, so I was addicted for a bit. Didn't get anywhere close to winning. I do want Vermintide 2 though, so still going to keep going. I have EDF for PS4...but having all the DLC and on PC doesn't hurt.

So EDF comes with all DLC?  What about Vermintide 2?  Seems like the Collector's Edition itself doesn't really add anything.

For anyone that needs The Division DLC's and already has the The Division base-game on UPLAY...

UPLAY only version:

The Division: Season Pass - UPLAY Only Version  - $3.59 with HBM Sub // or $3.99 without HBM Sub:

Season Pass Includes:

• Expansion 1 - Underground
  • Expansion 2 - Survival
    (Side note - Survival is/was in the HBM for Feb. 2019)
  • Expansion 3 - Last Stand
  • Sawn Off Shotgun item
  • Full Set of Outfits & Equipment Skins
  • Special Season Pass Benefits with exclusive events & content drops
    (See the Rewards Game Vendor while playing in-game).

The Division DLC Main Page - UPLAY Only Version:

• Expansion 1 - Underground = $1.34 with HBM Sub // or $1.49 without HBM Sub
  • Expansion 2 - The Survival = $1.34 with HBM Sub // or $1.49 without HBM Sub
    (Side note - Survival is/was in the HBM for Feb. 2019)
  • Expansion 3 - Last Stand = $1.34 with HBM Sub // or $1.49 without HBM Sub

Pleasantly surprised by both the unlocks and the March headlines.

Sniper is pretty much the only game I have zero interest in and the posts in here make it sound like it'll be easy to unload.

Happy with the March headliners, I hadn't picked up Vermintide II yet but I loved my time in the Beta and I'm happy to get back into it. 

Also totally fine with all the February unlocks I missed. I still have Yakuza Kiwami totally unplayed on my PS4, and less than zero interest in The Division, so it was an easy paused month for me.

Cultist Simulator was very over hyped. I maybe didn't get it but I played it a few hours and it was feeling extremely repetitive and like busy work. I was also not a huge fan of the cult part of it.
Really? A game in the management simulator genre felt "repetitive, and like busy work"? Who would have thought ...

Well it's more cause everything is on a timer and some don't seem long enough at all. You are basically managing timers, cards, hoping you have specific cards for events and just hoping you're successful. I got so good at the beginning that it was easy management, but i just reached a wall and got bored of it.

So EDF comes with all DLC?
Yep.

We have the most fun meta-game this year (so far), activating all 18 or so DLC's each too.

What about Vermintide 2? Seems like the Collector's Edition itself doesn't really add anything.
Nope. None of the (two) content DLC's are here.

The CE only has goodies/extras - Original Soundtrack, 5 Helmgart Skins (1 skin for each character), Digital Maps, Keep Decorations, One Exclusive Heroic Deed, and Wallpapers.

I have copies of Bleed 2, Full Metal Furies, Rock of Ages 2: Bigger & Boulder, Sniper Elite 3 and Super Daryl Deluxe if anyone wants to PayPal me a couple bucks for any of them.

Also not game related but also Corel Photo Brush - Aftershot, Panda Antivirus Pro, Soda PDF Home, SOUND FORGE 10...

bread's done
Back