Humble Bundle Thread

Right now Todd McFarlane is just chomping at the bit to get to 301 so as to present a giant middle finger to Dave Sim when Spawn passes Cerebus to become the longest running American indie comic.
Is this really a thing? Archie hit #700 last year; if Image counts as indie, then I feel like Archie would too.

Dave Sim self-published and wrote and drew every issue of Cerebus, which is true indie.

Is this really a thing? Archie hit #700 last year; if Image counts as indie, then I feel like Archie would too.

Dave Sim self-published and wrote and drew every issue of Cerebus, which is true indie.
I agree with this. Seriously, the only way to get more mainstream than Image comics is Marvel and DC. Image lost its “indie cred” before the 90’s were done.

Spawn was made into a movie with John Leguizamo and Martin Sheen. Todd McFarlane makes more selling figures of Spawn characters than he does with the comics. They had video games in the 90's.

There's no way Spawn should be considered indie.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Leguizamo, Martin Sheen and CGI rendered on a Gamecube.

AKzGuNo.gif

Spawn was made into a movie with John Leguizamo and Martin Sheen. Todd McFarlane makes more selling figures of Spawn characters than he does with the comics. They had video games in the 90's.

There's no way Spawn should be considered indie.
There was also a TV series on HBO.

Todd McFarlane makes more selling figures of Spawn characters than he does with the comics.
Eh, maybe now as having money makes it easier to make money but when he started Image Comics with the other artists he made his first fortune. While it's hard to consider Imagine or any of its offshoots indie now days I think it's a little disingenuous to blowoff what he's accomplished.

The man, while an unbelievable dick in person, is a true visionary in the comics industry.

I don’t think people are blowing off his accomplishments. Image was a huge risk and accomplishment for those who began it. And now it is as mainstream as the big 2. One can recognize and respect the past accomplishments while acknowledging the present as well.

Otherwise we might be having the same conversation about McDonald’s. “Well, they weren’t always a worldwide corporate conglomerate. They started as just one store, so I think it should be considered an indie style burger.”

I'd argue that while Image is a large company, they are still very much an indie comic book company. I'd also argue that content-wise, they are more independent from comic book tropes than they were when they started. In the beginning it was just comic book artists apeing what they did with Marvel, but in recent years have published a lot of interesting books. They are also independent of corporate conglomerates, unlike DC and Marvel.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

They are also independent of corporate conglomerates, unlike DC and Marvel.
I might point out, that much like Marvel and DC, prior to their acquisition by larger companies, that the company itself is the corporate conglomerate. I think one of the best arguements for they’ve maintained an independent status is how they structured image, such as how McFarlane is a separate entity which is published by Image, but their makeup is just as convoluted as any other big company.

Outside of that, they publish huge and well known properties. Spawn is a huge mainstream IP, then even just tossing Walking Dead into the mix, I can’t even imagine considering it an indie publisher any longer.

It’s like a band. They may be amazing still, but they lose their street cred and start being “sell outs” once they’re successful.

I kicked in for the top tier of the Humble Great Gamemaker Games Bundle.  For less than $1 per game, I'm looking forward to jumping into it.  It's bundles like this that made glad that I bought a PC even if it is low-end, but these games will run on it with no issue.  

Well I just bought FightN Rage so that all but confirms it.  At least I haven't played it yet. 

I actually want that car game too, the rest is fairly meh.  

Well I just bought FightN Rage so that all but confirms it. At least I haven't played it yet.

I actually want that car game too, the rest is fairly meh.
I think those are the two games that really catch my eye too... I somehow remembered to pause my bundle while still thinking we had a week to go before lockout happened.

What a crock. Spawn is complete shit. It looks like it was made by a 10-year old who said "man, Batman and Spiderman sure are lame" and decided to make the edgiest, bloodiest, most trashy stories ever. A visionary? Hah! Edgy shit hasn't been visionary since about the advent of the internet.

What a crock. Spawn is complete shit. It looks like it was made by a 10-year old who said "man, Batman and Spiderman sure are lame" and decided to make the edgiest, bloodiest, most trashy stories ever. A visionary? Hah! Edgy shit hasn't been visionary since about the advent of the internet.
And I think Spawn debuted right around the time that widespread Internet access became a thing. That was the era of the anti-hero when every comic book character had lots of spikes and chains on their costumes or carried huge guns.

I always wondered why Marvel didn't sue Todd McFarlane over the similarities between Spawn's design and Spider-Man's black costume. It's like he decided to draw in extra eyes and threw a huge billowing cape on Spawn and called it a day.

I always wondered why Marvel didn't sue Todd McFarlane over the similarities between Spawn's design and Spider-Man's black costume. It's like he decided to draw in extra eyes and threw a huge billowing cape on Spawn and called it a day.
Because that would be a horrible precedent for Marvel to make... Think of all those low tier one off villains and d class heroes that never make it that they would now have to get legal to approve...

Besides Marvel themselves are guilty of it...

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2016/1/28/10860668/deadpool-deathstroke-deadshot

I don't get the whole "Image is successful now so they aren't indie anymore" argument.  They're a big indie, the biggest, but still trail far behind Marvel and DC in terms of sales and even if they didn't, DC has been owned by Time Warner for decades and Marvel has been owned by Disney for 10 years.  

I'm not big on cape comics so Image has always been my go to imprint.  Not their fault they are putting out quality comics and some of them hit it big.  

The next monthly is probably leaked:

https://www.reddit.com/r/humblebundles/comments/atqua2/all_the_february_bundle_revealed/

The source code with leak is now removed from its page.

I really hope they change line-up, because it's trash.
Fight n Rage looks cool and I bought it from the last Winter Steam sale. I haven't played it though. I forget what the return policy is for those...like the limit for after you bought a game.

Edit: I'm good for the refund. Will wait to see if the reveals are true. It's honestly a weak set of reveals if it's true, though Late Shift is on my wish list.

Fight n Rage looks cool and I bought it from the last Winter Steam sale. I haven't played it though. I forget what the return policy is for those...like the limit for after you bought a game.

Edit: I'm good for the refund. Will wait to see if the reveals are true. It's honestly a weak set of reveals if it's true, though Late Shift is on my wish list.
I've seen better sets of reveals, but also a lot worse. I think I'd play a good number of these, and I've been wanting Late Shift. The only one I really have no interest in is Tower Unite.

If there's even one game in a reveal that I'll actually play before I'm dead then I consider it a good reveal, and I think I'll play Fight n' Rage. Probably before I'm dead.

Even having watched a bit of Tower Unite in the past on Twitch and having a fairly good idea of what the game is all about (VRChat without the VR), I still have no clue whether or not I'll enjoy actually playing it.

Fight'n Rage and Late Shift look fairly alright, but I've got no interest in the other two.

Urgh, those would make for a depressing bundle overall. Only Late Shift stands out, and that's more to do with it being different than because I expect it to be particularly good.

I've seen better sets of reveals, but also a lot worse. I think I'd play a good number of these, and I've been wanting Late Shift. The only one I really have no interest in is Tower Unite.
Same here. I had been interested in Slipstream for a while, and Fight N Rage looks decent. Tower Unite might make decent bronight material. I don't think this set of games is that bad.. better than AAA repeats that everyone owns and were released 5 years ago

I've played through Late Shift (TWICE!) and it isn't a great game but it is fun to just run through a couple times to get different endings (the decisions do make a difference).  Overall I really liked it in that b-game type of way.

Urgh, those would make for a depressing bundle overall. Only Late Shift stands out, and that's more to do with it being different than because I expect it to be particularly good.
Must be because I remembered to pause my subscription... but I'm rather tempted by a few of those games. (I guess if anyone wants to get rid of their whole bundle for 10 bucks or so hit me up.)

Fight n' Rage is on my Wishlist and Slipstream and Paradigm look pretty decent.

Although, Fight n Rage and Slipstream look more like they would be in some kind of retro feel themed weekly.

Even having watched a bit of Tower Unite in the past on Twitch and having a fairly good idea of what the game is all about (VRChat without the VR), I still have no clue whether or not I'll enjoy actually playing it.

Fight'n Rage and Late Shift look fairly alright, but I've got no interest in the other two.
It's like a nice casual lazy game to play with friends.

I like it, but I think most will get bored of it fast. Although it literally is the best minigolf game on Steam.

Same here. I had been interested in Slipstream for a while, and Fight N Rage looks decent. Tower Unite might make decent bronight material. I don't think this set of games is that bad.. better than AAA repeats that everyone owns and were released 5 years ago
I don't own those five-year-old AAA releases so I'll take those over Pudding Eating Simulator 3.0.

I don't own those five-year-old AAA releases so I'll take those over Pudding Eating Simulator 3.0.
I agree with Mooby, this looks like crap. I wish I would have paused.... Oh wait, I'm no longer subscribed!! Woooooooo doggie, lucky me!

Having said that, I would buy Late Pudding Walker Shift Simulator off someone for a dolla.....

TRUTH!!!

I'll give somebody a dolla and a nickle for Late Pudding Walker Shift Simulator.

Thant's a whole nickle more than that cheapskate rcsample.

Yikes, not interested in any of those. Interested in the earlies and was thinking I'd bite this month. Maybe not so much.

I see that Humble is offering $20 credit for a annual subscription. It looks like they at one point offered an annual sub for $99, which is a better deal. Is that something that they offer often or not? Not sure if I should jump on this $20 credit or not.

I see that Humble is offering $20 credit for a annual subscription. It looks like they at one point offered an annual sub for $99, which is a better deal. Is that something that they offer often or not? Not sure if I should jump on this $20 credit or not.
They've offered much more credit than that too... I would hold pat.

Not sure how serious you are, but Todd McFarlane also created Venom.

They've offered much more credit than that too... I would hold pat.
Originally Spawn's design didn't have a mouth with hundreds of gnarly wolf teeth. You think that's weird? Google the Mac Gargan Venom and then current Spawn with the mouth. They basically look like the Blues Brothers from Hell side by side!

bread's done
Back