Humble Bundle Thread

If another Ubisoft game's going to be in a Humble Monthly, I do hope it's Watch Dogs 2 (Or maybe it'll be given away at the end of the year, like the first game was a couple of years ago).
Already own it (Gold Edition).

If that winds up in a bundle, that month will probably get a skip from me, unless the other unlocks are good.

Wow, unlocks for last month were abysmal. And this month the headliner is a dead battle royale game that should be going F2P at any moment. Seriously, if you want a BR fix why would you play Blops over Apex? Pausing yet another month. As long as the unlocks for this month are as garbage as last month, I won't regret it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
While Apex is an overall better game, I got tired of Apex after a month. Blackout is my go-to BR right now.

My number 1 complaint with Apex is how shitty the map is and it's still baffling to me that they've kept the player count down to 60. I've gotten second several times without doing anything just because we never ran into anybody. Oh, yeah, I also suck at Apex worse than I did in Blackout and PUBG, which also sucked a bit of the fun out of the game.

I also love the vehicles in Blackout and PUBG. I know Apex has some decent movement solutions and the map is smaller, but vehicles add a nice bit of variety.

Terrible Bundle. No way I'm sticking around for the next one (which makes me think the unlocks will be great).

I hated To The Moon, and this unlock game looks like more RPGMaker bundle trash. To The Moon was like watching a Lifetime movie and advancing the dialogue a sentence at a time by pressing a button. Torture.

I'm sure this one is equally horrible.

The other stuff is kinda niche and the dollar value is crap. Boo Humble. Boo. :oldman:
Wow. I've never run across anyone who despised To The Moon with such passion.

Yes, the gameplay was stilted, which is to be expected with RPG Maker stuff, but the story was terrific and the characters were well-conceived and fully-realized (mostly).

Yes, the gameplay was stilted, which is to be expected with RPG Maker stuff, but the story was terrific and the characters were well-conceived and fully-realized (mostly).
There are a number of things that bothered me, some fault I will assign to the game maker, some technical, and some possibly beyond their control. WARNING: :oldman: Cranky old man musings ahead:

Beyond control: Hype. Oh my god the hype. A supposed transcendent experience, to me a novel pull at the ol' heartstrings. I anticipated the direction of the story and didn't find it particularly compelling enough to warrant futzing with the interface in order to retrieve it.

Technical: RPG Maker. Needs to die in a fire. It's clunky and it's horrible. It's an inelegant wrapper for what may be a pleasant experience trying to emerge from its ugly shell. I also have an irrational hatred for being forced to click through predictable dialogue in boxes boxes like a rat being trained to dole out bits of food by pressing a lever in a maze.

Game Maker: I guess for putting that story in that engine. The environments were drab. I enjoyed nothing about the mechanics of the game and didn't find the story strong enough to drag me through the torture of RPG Maker.

It just did not hit my triggers, I guess. Plenty of people liked it went ape-shit over it.

I anticipated the direction of the story and didn't find it particularly compelling enough to warrant futzing with the interface in order to retrieve it.

Game Maker: I guess for putting that story in that engine. The environments were drab. I enjoyed nothing about the mechanics of the game and didn't find the story strong enough to drag me through the torture of RPG Maker.
Hm. Well, IMO, it was unlike any of the kind of hot garbage "RPG"s that people make with that engine, in a good way. The story probably has more resonance if you have someone in your family or know someone personally with a mental illness. Also, I thought it was, to use Ryan Reynolds's term, "twisty." Since my playthrough of To The Moon, I've also played A Bird Story and The Mirror Lied. I think Kan Gao's storytelling is excellent, even if I don't disagree with your issues with the tools he uses.

Also, please tell me you don't hate this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfPDmzpC2Q

Hm. Well, IMO, it was unlike any of the kind of hot garbage "RPG"s that people make with that engine, in a good way. The story probably has more resonance if you have someone in your family or know someone personally with a mental illness. Also, I thought it was, to use Ryan Reynolds's term, "twisty." Since my playthrough of To The Moon, I've also played A Bird Story and The Mirror Lied. I think Kan Gao's storytelling is excellent, even if I don't disagree with your issues with the tools he uses.

Also, please tell me you don't hate this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfPDmzpC2Q
The idea is a great one to explore, it really is. It just didn't draw me in because of the slow pace. Also, there was nothing fun to do in the game besides read. I'd rather read a book of his than read drip-fed dialogue in bad 16-bit environments.

I agree it is unlike most of the other RPG Maker games. I have no doubt that this kind of game clicks with a good number of people.. I'm just not one of them.

Yes, the music was pleasant.

to each their own but i thought the game was horrible and the story was incredibly overrated

I received a $6 off the monthly coupon in my email today.  Black ops is a horrible headliner that I'm not sure I would ever play, but for only $6 its a tough choice.

I received a $6 off the monthly coupon in my email today. Black ops is a horrible headliner that I'm not sure I would ever play, but for only $6 its a tough choice.
Save it for next month's bundle if possible. Although I'm assuming you can't. I'll bet they are getting real-time feed back in a number of people pausing/cancelling since the reveal.

I never played To The Moon.  Now I might as well not even bother if I can't be on the forefront of hating it after I play it.

Actually, I just dislike games that are trying hard to make me feel things.  That one Brothers game was like a video game adaptation of email glurge and made me actively annoyed at how hard it was trying to manipulate my emotions.  I'm guessing To The Moon would be a similar experience.

I guess I can understand those who just want to play a game and couldn't care less about a story or having to feel things. Personally, tho, it is often story that drives things for me, and I'm always looking at new and novel ways people can tell stories. To The Moon was one of those stories for me.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Actually, I just dislike games that are trying hard to make me feel things. That one Brothers game was like a video game adaptation of email glurge and made me actively annoyed at how hard it was trying to manipulate my emotions. I'm guessing To The Moon would be a similar experience.
Just another dude with an opinion but I will say I have a seething hatred for Brothers where as I actually enjoyed To The Moon. On the story front I think what separates them is that To The Moon doesn't fall in line exactly with the type of story you'd expect given the circumstances. The whole thing is about living in a world where dying people can change their memories so they die happy and normally you'd expect that kind of story to be more about the person coming to terms with their life and not having their memory modified, but, it doesn't go that route which I found refreshing personally. I am not saying it's the most mind blowing thing of all time (I mean it's not really even that original of a concept) but it felt more layered and complex compared to Brothers which I appreciate.

That said I think what really matters though is these are still video games and the way you interact with them matters. Brothers on top of being really straightforward the gameplay is approximately 80% Uncharted style wall climbing which is so freaking boring. To The Moon knows what it is going for and is just a very simplistic adventure game. It does have one or two sections where they try to mix things up and yeah they're absolutely awful, but, also only last a few minutes each time.

Limited time: $6 off Humble Monthly

Unfortunately it says it expires in a little over a week or I would use it next month.
If you end up deciding against it, you can use coupons towards gift subscription purchases if you wanna hook someone else up (like me :bouncy:).

I really liked Brothers, because I'm not some heartless troll. Never played To The Moon though. I remember it being so hyped and then I saw it was rpgmaker and it was an easy pass for me.

Humble's really trying to move some of these COD monthlies. I was emailed a free bundle to give to a friend. Has to be a new subscriber.

I really liked Brothers, because I'm not some heartless troll. Never played To The Moon though. I remember it being so hyped and then I saw it was rpgmaker and it was an easy pass for me.
I think Tony that you would agree with me that objectively, given all the evidence available so far, there is no way on this Earth that a good game can spring from the loins of RPG Maker.

Man, hal derailed the thread in a hurry. This is what happens when Humbles suck. 

I blame neutered Call of Duty. 

To the Moon and Finding Paradise were both great.
tenor.gif

Humble didn't want to have zero active game bundles (Monthly excluded) so they just extended the Lego bundle for a week instead.

Well, so much for my Focus Home Bundle w/ Vampyr this week...

Of course, since it was $18 recently on HBM and sold-out before the deal died at 1pm EST on Monday, I guess I should've bought it this past weekend.

If the bta was around $5 I would bite for hello neighbor and streets of rage, both look like they could be fun. $7 is a little rich for my backlog though especially since the dollar tier is meh.

Godzilla comics bundle this week.

Coincidentally, I’m just about to start in on the Toho kaiju movies, which I’ve never actually seen before. Would these comics be a good supplement to those? I know they’re in their own continuity, but are they enjoyable when placed against the Japanese Godzilla movies?

I've always toyed with the idea of the Humble Monthly, does anyone know if I do it now if I'll still get Assasin's Creed Origins since it's part of the May Humble or does it not apply until June?  Wording makes it seem like you wouldn't get May's games.

I've always toyed with the idea of the Humble Monthly, does anyone know if I do it now if I'll still get Assasin's Creed Origins since it's part of the May Humble or does it not apply until June? Wording makes it seem like you wouldn't get May's games.
The chance for May's games has past. You will only get access to games included with the June CoD bundle and any 'Humble Trove' games.

Once a monthly bundles' full contents are revealed, there is no longer an opportunity to buy that monthly bundle directly from Humble.

However, if you are looking for a certain game(s) from previously revealed bundles, you can always check the cesspool here on CAG.

The chance for May's games has past. You will only get access to games included with the June CoD bundle and any 'Humble Trove' games.

Once a monthly bundles' full contents are revealed, there is no longer an opportunity to buy that monthly bundle directly from Humble.

However, if you are looking for a certain game(s) from previously revealed bundles, you can always check the cesspool here on CAG.
That's what I thought, thank you for clarifying. I guess at some point I need to just pony up or forget about it. Origins caught my attention this time around so I might go ahead and get ready for next month.

I've read Godzilla in Hell myself. Pretty interesting and has good art. I'm pretty sure the rest of the Godzilla comics are aight too. IDW usually have excellent comics like the Transformers and TMNT. I'd just go for it and will since I want to read the rest of the comics myself.

bread's done
Back