Void Bastards

Phantom Doctrine

Dead in Vinland

Horizon Chase Turbo

Dark Future: Blood Red States

Desert Child

Aegis Defenders

X-Morph: Defense

Half the stuff in there looks like Groupees/IndieGala/Fanatical-level stuff, but the other half looks fairly strong.
Is Shadow of the TR the Regular Edition or Croft Edition? or Definitive Edition?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume the base game and no DLC, although I don't think you can even buy the base game by itself anymore? Seems like the only version sold anywhere is the Definitive version.
Nope, Steam doesn't sell the SotTR base-game alone anymore.

Only Definitive Edition (with everything) now.

I would assume the base game and no DLC, although I don't think you can even buy the base game by itself anymore? Seems like the only version sold anywhere is the Definitive version.
They may go the Just Cause 3 route and throw in the DLC, plus a definitive edition is the only one available now. Don't believe a definitive edition of Rise of the Tomb Raider was out when the base game was a headliner a while back.

Given the new pricing structure, I'm hoping Final Fantasy XV is a headliner at some point. Plus that game and a bunch of other Final Fantasy titles will be on Game Pass, so perhaps that's indicative of some change in the pricing of Square Enix's JRPG titles.

Not thrilled with the one AAA splash game and the rest being Groupies-tier fodder.  What made Humble bundles great in the (distant) past was that they'd contain a number of higher tier indie-games.

This is such a weird choice for them- they could have very easily used a chunk of this lineup for last month, and then been able to lead off Humble Choice with Crash, Spyro, Call of Duty and Shenmue 1 and 2. 

While Blasphemous, Void Bastards and Phantom Doctrine are nice includes, none of them really feel like headliners. 
I'm thinking if I saw Tomb Raider and one of them listed as the early unlocks if this was a normal Monthly, I'd probably have paused, and not feel too terrible about it after the reveal. 

What's really scary is how much more chaff level stuff is included... the whole package looks less impressive with all the Indiegala level stuff tacked on. 

This is such a weird choice for them- they could have very easily used a chunk of this lineup for last month, and then been able to lead off Humble Choice with Crash, Spyro, Call of Duty and Shenmue 1 and 2.

While Blasphemous, Void Bastards and Phantom Doctrine are nice includes, none of them really feel like headliners.
I'm thinking if I saw Tomb Raider and one of them listed as the early unlocks if this was a normal Monthly, I'd probably have paused, and not feel too terrible about it after the reveal.

What's really scary is how much more chaff level stuff is included... the whole package looks less impressive with all the Indiegala level stuff tacked on.
Keep in mind it wasn’t meant to be revealed yet. I think they’re really pushing for a lot of people to subscribe before the changeover so that afterwards they’ll feel obligated to stay on to keep the grandfathered price, which is why they’ve had so many high profile games the last few months. As a side effect of that, they probably weren’t able to secure a standout first bundle for the change, though since they’ll probably have secured a lot of new subscriptions for the time being, they aren’t too fussed about it.

My hopes for good unlocks on this bundle are not looking good.  Agree about next bundle that Tomb Raider, Phantom Doctrine, Void Bastards and a couple of others - nice but not stellar.  Void Bastards is actually published by Humble.  The bundle is worth $12 but not a good way to kick off the new sub.

What are you guys talking about? There are 10 Positive to Very Positive Steam games here, there haven't been 10 Steam games in a monthly before as far as I can see that didn't count a DLC or a Humble Original. You guys are the LAMESTREAM FAKE NEWS!

Not thrilled with the one AAA splash game and the rest being Groupies-tier fodder. What made Humble bundles great in the (distant) past was that they'd contain a number of higher tier indie-games.
Man, I'd like to find this Groupies you're talking about. Unfortunately all we have in this reality is Groupees which has served up straight trash for years now.

There's a lot of good looking stuff in this bundle, but given that I've heard mostly mildly negative stuff about SoTR and Phantom Doctrine and I already played Void Bastards through game pass and Horizon Chase through PS+ means I'd probably skip this one

So just hypothetically, let's say I subscribe to Humble Monthly this month. When would I need to pause so that I get this month but not next month? And can I stay paused indefinitely?

So just hypothetically, let's say I subscribe to Humble Monthly this month. When would I need to pause so that I get this month but not next month? And can I stay paused indefinitely?
Pause on or before December 26th (They'd bill you on the 27th, last Friday of the month).

And you can pause as often as you want. Just remember to pause manually each time prior to the billing date.

I see four games on there that I'd play... a couple are even on my wishlist. The TR game is the real deal here, of course, but I've been eyeing X-Morph Defense to satisfy my TD cravings. Phantom Doctrine looks like a really cool turn-based tactics game. Void Bastards is a well-regarded roguelike FPS, which should be good for a few hours of fun. Blasphemous, I guess, is the other one... Metroidvania, cool, but I've got a dozen of those on backlog.

I don't know about the other five. Still, I don't think I'd paint them with the Gala/Groupees brush. Questionable? Yes. Garbage. Maybe not.

First Humble Choice bundle potentially leaked already:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Blasphemous

Void Bastards

Phantom Doctrine

Dead in Vinland

Horizon Chase Turbo

Dark Future: Blood Red States

Desert Child

Aegis Defenders

X-Morph: Defense

Half the stuff in there looks like Groupees/IndieGala/Fanatical-level stuff, but the other half looks fairly strong.
just saw this, haven't heard of most of these games but pretty happy about tomb raider/void bastards/blasphemous

Stream aside, are the games usually worth the $30?
youre_serious_futurama.gif

I mean... look what they've led with...  I probably wouldn't even put $1 value on that stuff combined.  Also notorious for running out of keys before a game is even revealed.  That is, all the early adopters who do it for charity or because they like crappy Yogscast will 'lock in' their key to a game revealed on the 12th or whatever.  So, if you're waiting for more reveals before you make your purchase decision... oops, sorry, should have bought it when it was a total unknown.

The $5 tier could've been amazing, if that was actually COD: Modern Warfare (2018) full base-game in there...

I'll buy your Guild Wars 2 codes when you eventually cave in and get the Jingle Jam bundle and inevitably receive them as an unlock.

I foolishly cancelled last month instead of pausing. I guess I'd better grab this monthly to lock in my price. They've been emailing me every couple of days about it.

This "Humble Choice" revamp and the massive price hike is either a great idea to reinvigorate the site and attract far better titles to the bundles, or it's a desperate move to bring in the cash that IGN isn't seeing, and marks the beginning of the end. 

I was able to secure the classic plan without buying the bundle for this month. It says my next payment isn't until the end of this month, and I can pay now if I want the current bundle.

There was a list of "leaked" December games going around that I figured were too good to be true and assumed the actual unlocks would be worse. Yet I still didn't expect them to be this bad.

And very nice of Humble to remove their own published game (Void Bastards) from the first Choice bundle after that list got leaked.

The rest of the Humble Monthly for *December was:

Fluffy Horde

Chasm

Regular Human Basketball

Sword Legacy Omen

There was a list of "leaked" December games going around that I figured were too good to be true and assumed the actual unlocks would be worse. Yet I still didn't expect them to be this bad.

And very nice of Humble to remove their own published game (Void Bastards) from the first Choice bundle after that list got leaked.
The only difference I'm seeing between the leaked list and the actual one is replacing Void Bastards (leaked list) with Ancestor's Legacy (actual)?

And Shadow of the Tomb Raider may actually be the Definitive Edition?

EDIT: whoops, I guess I meant the January leaked list.

The only difference I'm seeing between the leaked list and the actual one is replacing Void Bastards (leaked list) with Ancestor's Legacy (actual)?

And Shadow of the Tomb Raider may actually be the Definitive Edition.
I was referring to the December games (Chasm, etc.). The phony list mentioned Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, Hand of Fate 2, Islanders and a couple others. The fact that it was pretty much all quality-looking games was a red flag from the start. But yeah, the Choice list was 90% accurate with the exception of Ancestor's Legacy subbing in for Void Bastards, which is a Humble-published title.

And from what I've seen mentioned on Reddit, SotTR is unfortunately the base game only. Scratch that, Definitive it is. Third time's a charm: It's the base game.

I was referring to the December games (Chasm, etc.). The phony list mentioned Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, Hand of Fate 2, Islanders and a couple others. The fact that it was pretty much all quality-looking games was a red flag from the start. But yeah, the Choice list was 90% accurate with the exception of Ancestor's Legacy subbing in for Void Bastards, which is a Humble-published title.

And from what I've seen mentioned on Reddit, SotTR is unfortunately the base game only.
Nope, it's the Definitive Edition. I just activated the key. I was stone-cold wrong; damn you, Hamble!

January "Choice" is pretty solid, although it's weird to call it "choice" if the "classic" members just get everything. It's a bit more of a pain in the ass, because you have to choose each one individually to access the keys, but, yeah, January was a pretty solid lineup (with a few clunkers, of course).

And from what I've seen mentioned on Reddit, SotTR is unfortunately the base game only.
I got the definitive edition of Shadow of the Tomb Raider when I redeemed my key.

Nope, it's the Definitive Edition. I just activated the key.

January "Choice" is pretty solid, although it's weird to call it "choice" if the "classic" members just get everything. It's a bit more of a pain in the ass, because you have to choose each one individually to access the keys, but, yeah, January was a pretty solid lineup (with a few clunkers, of course).
I got the definitive edition of Shadow of the Tomb Raider when I redeemed my key.
Edited my post, thanks for the correction.

Those December unlocks are really bad, I dodged a bullet there. 

The January line up seems pretty good to me.  Two games on my wishlist plus the last (I think?) tomb raider game is good enough for me for $12.  Glad to see that Ancestor's Legacy was added, been eyeing it for a little while.  Pretty solid month for me overall.

bread's done
Back