Humble Bundle Thread

I read it as using a March choice for turok and an April choice for turok 2.

I'm in the same boat with Duke 3d - yes it looks slightly better and there are some new levels, but am I really going to enjoy replaying a game I spent a bunch of time with in high school? It's less than 2 bucks but still... FPS specifically have made a lot of advancements in the past 20yrs and this seems like it would be a nostalgia play rather than an enjoyment play.
Oh okay, that makes sense. Didn't think they had unused choices from last month.

Yeah, if you're sitting on old choices and aren't into these for the nostalgia factor, then you could probably find something else.

I read it as using a March choice for turok and an April choice for turok 2.

I'm in the same boat with Duke 3d - yes it looks slightly better and there are some new levels, but am I really going to enjoy replaying a game I spent a bunch of time with in high school? It's less than 2 bucks but still... FPS specifically have made a lot of advancements in the past 20yrs and this seems like it would be a nostalgia play rather than an enjoyment play.
Has it really been an advancement though? [shrug]

Does every new FPS...need to just copy others and/or not do much to innovate/spin things on the type of FPS game/genre they're doing?

I dunno 'bout you...but ever since STALKER, Far Cry 2 (and newer), Borderlands, BF's SP campaigns, COD campaigns - there's so many copycats of these games and their styles.

There are now so many linear-as-hell corridor-style military FPS's out there (i.e. COD SP campaigns since COD1 and BF games' SP campaign since BF3) and now so many FPS's out there doing the open-world thing (STALKER, Far Cry, Homefront: The Revolution) and/or ARPG-type of thing (Borderlands, Division series, etc)....that I just really need these old-school style games w/ a VERY much different design & approach.

I enjoyed DN3D 20's new levels in Episode 5 and that old-school style w/ no regen health, no open-world, no ARPG-elements - sure, the new episode took me only 4.5 hours (and might take others 2-4 hours)....but it never overstayed its welcome and was a blast most of the way through.

One of the best modern FPS's that I've played was DOOM 2016...and that basically followed a lot of the old design from old DOOM titles and Serious Sam titles. A nice fresh of breath air, in today's FPS climate.

EDIT:

I just finished-up Wolfenstein: Youngblood, which has a more open-world approach and ARPG-approach. And, it's not for the best...with repetitive side-quests, poor autosave slots/lack of some autosave spots, a few jumping puzzles, and the worst story/character development in a modern Wolfenstein game. Yeah, this is a decent game - but it's certainly got some issues. And even given that, it's also probably the worst game in the recent Wolfenstein series (i.e. RTCW and newer).

I've tried some of RAGE 2...and yeah, that game ain't doing it for me much either. The open-world thing is too much like Far Cry, Mad Max, and other Avalanche titles. Feels like I'm running from outpost-to-outpost, killing enemies....and not much more than that. It's really lacking story & character development - like most Avalanache games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played maybe 20 minutes of Turok last month before getting my fill. I mean, it's definitely more Turok, and in HD too. So if that's all you want then that's what you get  But I was never big on Turok to begin with and this remaster certainly doesn't change that. Controls feel really rough. Never had any nostalgia for the game, rented it maybe once or twice from Blockbuster 20+ years ago. Doom 64 was the N64 shooter that I was always more fond of and although I haven't gotten around to that yet, I would bet that it stands the test of time better between the two.

Also, spent most of the weekend playing Hitman 2 and while I don't think I'm getting that same "Wow" factor that I got from its predecessor, it's still a really damn great game that feels wonderful to explore.

Has it really been an advancement though? [shrug]

Does every new FPS...need to just copy others and/or not do much to innovate/spin things on the type of FPS game/genre they're doing?

I dunno 'bout you...but ever since STALKER, Far Cry 2 (and newer), Borderlands, BF's SP campaigns, COD campaigns - there's so many copycats of these games and their styles.

There are now so many linear-as-hell corridor-style military FPS's out there (i.e. COD SP campaigns since COD1 and BF games' SP campaign since BF3) and now so many FPS's out there doing the open-world thing (STALKER, Far Cry, Homefront: The Revolution) and/or ARPG-type of thing (Borderlands, Division series, etc)....that I just really need these old-school style games w/ a VERY much different design & approach.

I enjoyed DN3D 20's new levels in Episode 5 and that old-school style w/ no regen health, no open-world, no ARPG-elements - sure, the new episode took me only 4.5 hours (and might take others 2-4 hours)....but it never overstayed its welcome and was a blast most of the way through.

One of the best modern FPS's that I've played was DOOM 2016...and that basically followed a lot of the old design from old DOOM titles and Serious Sam titles. A nice fresh of breath air, in today's FPS climate.

EDIT:
I just finished-up Wolfenstein: Youngblood, which has a more open-world approach and ARPG-approach. And, it's not for the best...with repetitive side-quests, poor autosave slots/lack of some autosave spots, a few jumping puzzles, and the worst story/character development in a modern Wolfenstein game. Yeah, this is a decent game - but it's certainly got some issues. And even given that, it's also probably the worst game in the recent Wolfenstein series (i.e. RTCW and newer).

I've tried some of RAGE 2...and yeah, that game ain't doing it for me much either. The open-world thing is too much like Far Cry, Mad Max, and other Avalanche titles. Feels like I'm running from outpost-to-outpost, killing enemies....and not much more than that. It's really lacking story & character development - like most Avalanache games.
Doom 2016 is a great example of a game sticking to its roots while incorporating modern ideas. It still has that 'doom feel' but fits as a totally modern game.

I agree that not every game has to be open world with unlockable skill trees and vantage points. It makes everything seem the same and the game has to rely on character and story (where many fall short).

I guess no Final Fantasy XV headliner in the works. And Divinity OS 1 and 2 have avoided being bundled as of yet. There are some older, large profile titles that have avoided being in one of these bundles, while more recent releases have ended up being bundled.

I'm not completely sure if I agree that Doom 2016 "sticks true to it's root".

Doom 2016 is amazing, but it feels closer to Serious Sam in terms of arenas and arenas of nonstop monsters spawning. Original Doom feels a bit more open and exploration based with it's small open level designs.

But I do agree it's not trying to be a "modern" game by any means. fuck modern games

Doom 2016 is a great example of a game sticking to its roots while incorporating modern ideas. It still has that 'doom feel' but fits as a totally modern game.

I agree that not every game has to be open world with unlockable skill trees and vantage points. It makes everything seem the same and the game has to rely on character and story (where many fall short).
Playing it right now since I can't afford Doom Eternal at the moment. I think the graphics and the atmosphere what help to keep it interesting.

I selected the option to receive a gift link for the month of Choice. Then I logged back into my main account and clicked the link in my email.
Trying to figure out if I would get the free month of Choice if I gift the entire bundle to my main account. I'd like to go ahead and buy it tonight since I anticipate a long day at work tomorrow. I'm an "essential" worker...who is still not convinced that I'm essential. But I need money. :roll:

Edit: Somehow I tried this whole scheme, gifted the entire bundle to my main account because I couldn't figure out how to just send the link to the free month, and didn't get the free month. Like everything else that I try to do to make my life somewhat bearable, I screwed this up royally. :bomb:

Humble Stardock Strategy Bundle

$1+:

Sorcerer King: Rivals

Dead Man's Draw

BTA:

Galactic Civilizations III

Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade Expansion Pack

Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution Expansion

Galactic Civilizations III - Mega Events DLC

$13+:

Star Control: Origins

Star Control: Origins - Earth Rising Expansion

Star Control: Origins - Original Soundtrack

Star Control I and II

Star Control III

Galactic Civilizations III: Intrigue Expansion

Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation

Seems that everything in the BTA is one key, as the expansion/DLC all say "Included in Galactic Civilizations III".

Problem is, they treated this GCIII like Crusader Kings.  Even if you buy those (which admittedly are the $20 DLCs) completionists still need another 30-40 invested to gather the rest.

Picking games for the Humble Choice, can I leave stuff 'unpicked' after I pay.  That is, if there's a few rando games leftover I'm not sure which ones I want can I just go back later and make the selection or will it fubar me and default or some shit if I don't pick them all on purchase?

Picking games for the Humble Choice, can I leave stuff 'unpicked' after I pay. That is, if there's a few rando games leftover I'm not sure which ones I want can I just go back later and make the selection or will it fubar me and default or some shit if I don't pick them all on purchase?
I have whole months waiting for me to make selections...

I'm almost tempted by Yuppie Psycho for some reason. Like it looks like something i'd play, but at the highest tier though.
Hits too close to home for me, sitting in my house full of high-end stuff I rarely use, making weird noises and then laughing maniacally at how idiotic I am...

New Humble 2K Bundle

$1

The Darkness II

Sid Meier's Pirates

Carnival Games VR

Spec Ops: The Line

BTA

Golf Club 2019

Bioshock Collection

Civilization III Complete

NBA 2K Playgrounds 2

$20

NBA 2K20

WWE 2K20

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete

Borderlands GOTY Enhanced

Borderlands Handsome Collection

Really only want Golf Club out of all that. Played a little of Playgrounds 2 over the weekend and was reminded of how shitty the player unlock system in that series is.

These tiers are pretty laughably inflated.  Civ 3 is like 15 years old.  Borderlands 1+2 in $5 tiers at best.  Same for Bioshock Collection.  Dunno the value of the 2k20 sports games but I get the feeling they are dragging up the price to the absurd level we see.

So this is pretty much just good for if you want the sports games I'm guessing. Pirates is fun, and it was fun when I played it over a decade ago. Looks like a hard pass though I somehow want the WWE game, though I've heard it isn't too hot.

Dammit. They (2K) had to go ahead and put both WWE 2K20 & NBA 2K20 in the top $20 tier.

And I still want this bundle - even despite both games' issues (NBA 2K20 with the MTX's and WWE2K20 w/ bugs galore) - b/c those two haven't been this cheap. Crap.

ITAD:

NBA 2K20 (Regular) [in this bundle] - https://isthereanydeal.com/game/nbaiikii0/info/

WWE 2K20 (Regular) [in this bundle] - https://isthereanydeal.com/game/wweiikii0/info/

WWE 2K20 (Deluxe) [only base in HB / Deluxe also has the DLC's] - https://isthereanydeal.com/game/wweiikii0deluxeedition/info/

I'm definitely interested in NBA 2k20, despite some of the microtransaction stuff, as 2k16 was enjoyable for pickup play. But the tier is too high and sports games get replaced too quickly.

Yeah I can usually convince myself to buy most bundles, but now this is becoming a joke. I own almost all of the non-sports related games because of prior bundles. The only games I don't own is Enemy Within and Bioshock Infinite and those are all within collections.

The worst part about this bundle is that they don't even have a slider for 2K games. So I can't turn that slider all the way to zero as a fuck you to their company, and then turn it all the way up for the charity!

Y U DO DIS

I'm definitely interested in NBA 2K20, as I enjoyed 2K16 for quick games, despite the microtransaction issues. But the tier structure is pretty bad.

It's kind of amazing that the WWE series has as many issues and glitches as it does. This is WWE 2K20, not WWE 1, folks. 2000+ iterations and they still haven't gotten it right.

It's kind of amazing that the WWE series has as many issues and glitches as it does. This is WWE 2K20, not WWE 1, folks. 2000+ iterations and they still haven't gotten it right.
Yukes (who was the original dev and has been helping out Visual Concepts) left in the middle of development. They (Yukes) wanted more time to iterate more & improve the game, but was denied since WWE & 2K wants it every year. So, Yukes left. So, VC was stuck w/ developing for 6 months or so.

This has been the same engine they (Yukes and VC) been tinkering w/ since 2K15, more or less.

And since it's Yukes' engine and they know most of the issues, quirks, problems, how to fix, etc etc - yeah, it ended up like it did upon release: a technical mess.

Bethesda, is that you? :p

This is not the best engine, so....yeah, seems like it's always been duct-taped together, like a Bethesda Engine. It's always had some issues here and there - but yeah, seems like every year, from tinkering and whatnot, ends up w/ more of them. It's just...WWE 2K20 took the cake, without Yukes and only having VC around it wound up a mess and kicked out the door too early; they've already patched the game numerous times.

Wouldn't surprise me if Yukes is doing an AEW or NJPW game, though. We know AEW has a game coming since the Elite want one (Cody Rhodes and his crew), we just don't know when and who is developing yet.

And also, around 30 people were released from WWE yesterday - workers, producers, ref's, wrestlers, etc. Best wishes to those people and I hope NJPW, ROH, Impact, MLW, or someone picks these talented people up. Bleh @ XFL re-launch failure and COVID-19.

I'm definitely interested in NBA 2K20, as I enjoyed 2K16 for quick games, despite the microtransaction issues. But the tier structure is pretty bad.
For quick games - yeah, tons of fun. Tried Boston Celtics classic team (I played as them) vs. Spurs w/ Duncan & Robinson classic team last night. I got lit up by the half, by 30 points. 1080p60fps on High, no problem on my SC15 laptop.

bread's done
Back