Humble Bundle Thread

That was really the thing. 

If the base edition had existed for a couple of weeks before the bundle, people would still be grumbling but wouldn't feel cheated. 
This was a bad management of perception for all involved, as it the perception of it is that you took something away from players and pulled a shady move so you could hit each player for another $10-20. 

What surprises me is the amount of white knighting of Humble and Remedy going on.  They did something dumb, mismanaged this and they're getting their hand slapped just like they deserve. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In summary only buy Ubisoft Gold editions (comes with the season pass) discounted, cause they screw out base game players by rarely having sales on the season passes until the games are very old. Season passes rarely go on discount for other publishers as well. Also DLC of older days can be thought of more as standalone for having more beef to it, while today we get a few more hours and according to MysterD sometimes important story for setting up future games. Nonetheless I usually buy hefty DLC that really adds to a game like the Binding of Isaac Rebirth DLCs.
Yeah, I finally bought Far Cry 4 Season Pass and Far Cry 5 Season Passes, after all of these years...not that long ago. It does take forever for Ubi's games for their Season Passes to often get cheap. Sometimes w/ them, it's just best to go Complete later.

And some of the better content - i.e. all killer, no filler - winds up nowadays in the DLC's. Sometimes, it's as if they make something purposely more tailor-made, smaller, and more impactful in its shorter size and/or time-frame.

For example - there's some really good missions and stories in those DLC's for DA2, ME2, and DAI's Trespasser DLC.

I really liked the Watch Dogs 1: Bad Blood DLC, as it really fleshed-out T-Bone's story and his friend. We had much more interesting character development there than say what was going on w/ Aiden and his over-cliche ridden and predictable ride throughout most of the actual base-game.

Well, at least Watch Dogs 1's gameplay was a blast. And that seems to be the same, given what I've played of both Watch Dogs 2 and now also Watch Dogs: Legion. I wish Legion had more character-depth, as it seems so sorely lacking here.

I'm kinda a PoopySoft standard edition guy. After 60hrs (OK more like 40-some) of Odyssey with Kassandra and that lame-ass ending to the main story, the last thing I need is to play 25 more hours of the same in multiple DLCs...

What pisses me off if I'm remembering correctly, is EA Ass Effect DLCs... I remember going from ME2 to ME3 and it's like what are they talking about? What happened? Oh get the Arrival DLC.. Nope... Eh at least I'll replay it when the Supreme Adamantium Limited Kryptonite ME is released... And comes to Game Ass a few months later.... Maybe then I'll play through all the games and DLCs...

TRUTH!

Sure there's some DLC I don't care about, but the reality these days is that for many many of the so-called "AAA" games these days, the DLC isn't as much of an "optional extra" as it is that they chopped out 80% of the game so that they could sell the full game retail for $120 but still meet the expected $60 price tag on the base game.

Of course, plenty of AAA games are bloated crap that could seriously use 80% of them chopped out.

Can somebody explain to me why everyone feels the need to own the DLC for a game you haven't played yet, and thus don't know if you even like yet?

Don't get me wrong, I would certainly prefer for a game to come with all the DLC in a bundle - it's better value - but I'm also struggling to see how including the base game with 11 other games at a price that is basically in-line (at worst) with the lowest sale price of that single game is poor value or "shenanigans".

I don't know, it's just weird to me that this optional content that you may not even want to play is the dealbreaker here.
When they announced the bundle, only the Ultimate Edition existed. At that point, I started reading about the game and saw the DLCs were actually significant. Then someone discovered that new App IDs were created for the DLC, which was still not even available separately or even announced on the store page. Early Humble keys even activated as Control Ultimate Edition -- but no DLC was included.

I have no problem getting base games if the DLC is of no interest to me. Tomb Raider was one of the headliners and I didn't care about the cosmetic bullshit and a handful of 10 minute tombs. I bought that, happily.

If a publisher is gonna pull this kind of thing, it seems highly likely that they're going to hold the DLC hostage at a high price for a good while. So when I play the game, I'm not really wanting to wait a couple of years to finish it, and I'm certainly not okay with paying full price to do so while the "ultimate" gets marked down during every sale.

That was really the thing.

If the base edition had existed for a couple of weeks before the bundle, people would still be grumbling but wouldn't feel cheated.
This was a bad management of perception for all involved, as it the perception of it is that you took something away from players and pulled a shady move so you could hit each player for another $10-20.

What surprises me is the amount of white knighting of Humble and Remedy going on. They did something dumb, mismanaged this and they're getting their hand slapped just like they deserve.
If they didn't add standard to steam, people would be complaining that control keys were only for epic (where standard always existed), since with prices humble are paying, publishers surely want that extra dlc money whenever they can.

Can somebody explain to me why everyone feels the need to own the DLC for a game you haven't played yet, and thus don't know if you even like yet?
It also depends on if the content changes the main game itself. If it's a DLC that's mostly self contained, like say, Borderlands or Bloodborne, then the base game is fine while you wait. If it changes your base game significantly, like a lot of 4X games or fighting games, then I'd rather have all the DLC from the start.

tenor.gif

The real issue here isn't selling the base game, but Humble's lack of transparency about it. Just tell people that is just the base game and end all the speculation.

As for the arguments for the DLC, I haven't finished Foundation yet. But, I think the base game stands on its own. If you want more, the DLC offers that, but I don't think any of it is necessary.

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk

so in similar news, wwe 2k battlegrounds last week released their Ultimate Brawlers Pass, which unlocks all the hidden wrestlers, 75 in total. now, i'm not sure how much in game time it would take to unlock these wrestlers, but i'm guessing it is a metric fuck ton. what i'm trying to say is fuck you, 2K! go fuck yourselves up the ass! now excuse me while i try to find a cheat table that unlocks them all automatically.

Saber did the same thing with their NBA Playgrounds games, even the first one which was released before they partnered up with 2K. If Battlegrounds is anything like those games, grinding out the unlocks will be a tedious process and you'll get a ton of trash characters along the way.

Got an email offer of $10/mo for next 4 months of Choice if I sub before 4/6. Kinda crappy compared to the $6 offer, but still not a bad deal if you're in the rare category of wanting this month's bundle and haven't already purchased it.

Looks like the deal is locked to my email so not sure how widespread it is.

I feel like the complaints about included dlc lost a lot of their validity with the switch to humble choice. You don't need to pre-purchase anymore and there's no guessing as to what is included. You just wait until it's released and see what is given. Then decide if you want to buy it or not... I mean you've even got a full month to listen to other people tell you what is included if you're on the fence.

Also, I can't remember the last time humble included DLC without explicitly calling it out like a bonus. In this case people jumped the gun by analyzing what was available in the steam store before the humble offer was active, and were then disappointed/angry when it changed

I feel like the complaints about included dlc lost a lot of their validity with the switch to humble choice. You don't need to pre-purchase anymore and there's no guessing as to what is included. You just wait until it's released and see what is given. Then decide if you want to buy it or not... I mean you've even got a full month to listen to other people tell you what is included if you're on the fence.

Also, I can't remember the last time humble included DLC without explicitly calling it out like a bonus. In this case people jumped the gun by analyzing what was available in the steam store before the humble offer was active, and were then disappointed/angry when it changed
I feel like you may be missing the nuance in my complaint. I don't EXPECT bundled games to come with all the DLC. That's been common practice for quite a while now. Everyone knows that, so pointing it out isn't helpful.

I was not happy with the way one product was advertised and another was sold.

Calling it "jumping the gun" to look at the advertisement and the game being advertised is utterly ridiculous. How can you justify placing the blame on the consumer that sees the advertised item, looks at the item on the hosting storefront, takes no action to decline... only to discover it has changed and you have been charged.

Let's hope they noticed, right? Let's hope that when they redeem the game as "Ultimate Edition" they just somehow know and are okay with that, right? Go read the Steam forums where people are wondering where the DLC is.

I was lucky. I noticed the conversation here and unsubscribed. HAD I NOT UNSUBSCRIBED AT THAT POINT I WOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED AUTOMATICALLY FOR SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT AS ADVERTISED. Do you not understand that?

-Email comes out.

-Person looks at games in bundle

-Person is autocharged

Whoops, game changed.

I personally don't give a flying fuck since I unsubscribed based on information I found here and on Steam DB. You say that everyone has a full month to decide, but how about those that decided right then and there that they wanted the bundle and permitted the autocharge? Should someone be required to keep checking in daily to see if the agreement changed? Should you be required to spend the month talking to people about it in case they had news?

That's silly.

My second complaint is not so much about Humble's handling of this situation as it is a complaint about the practice of (not) marking down DLC. All too often a publisher will discount an "ultimate" edition and not the DLC. meaning bundles potentially present a dead end or at least a very expensive pathway towards owning the complete content.

If everyone is upfront about it -- cool. I can make a decision. If we get into chopping content specifically to troll bundle buyers, well then I reserve the right to complain. It certainly isn't the end of the world, but it's worth a post or two on the internet to get it off my chest.

I feel like you may be missing the nuance in my complaint. I don't EXPECT bundled games to come with all the DLC. That's been common practice for quite a while now. Everyone knows that, so pointing it out isn't helpful.

I was not happy with the way one product was advertised and another was sold.

Calling it "jumping the gun" to look at the advertisement and the game being advertised is utterly ridiculous. How can you justify placing the blame on the consumer that sees the advertised item, looks at the item on the hosting storefront, takes no action to decline... only to discover it has changed and you have been charged.

Let's hope they noticed, right? Let's hope that when they redeem the game as "Ultimate Edition" they just somehow know and are okay with that, right? Go read the Steam forums where people are wondering where the DLC is.

I was lucky. I noticed the conversation here and unsubscribed. HAD I NOT UNSUBSCRIBED AT THAT POINT I WOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED AUTOMATICALLY FOR SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT AS ADVERTISED. Do you not understand that?

-Email comes out.
-Person looks at games in bundle
-Person is autocharged

Whoops, game changed.

I personally don't give a flying fuck since I unsubscribed based on information I found here and on Steam DB. You say that everyone has a full month to decide, but how about those that decided right then and there that they wanted the bundle and permitted the autocharge? Should someone be required to keep checking in daily to see if the agreement changed? Should you be required to spend the month talking to people about it in case they had news?

That's silly.

My second complaint is not so much about Humble's handling of this situation as it is a complaint about the practice of (not) marking down DLC. All too often a publisher will discount an "ultimate" edition and not the DLC. meaning bundles potentially present a dead end or at least a very expensive pathway towards owning the complete content.

If everyone is upfront about it -- cool. I can make a decision. If we get into chopping content specifically to troll bundle buyers, well then I reserve the right to complain. It certainly isn't the end of the world, but it's worth a post or two on the internet to get it off my chest.
But the thing is, that's not how it works now. You keep saying that you need to decide or get autocharged but that happens at the end of the month. If you reveal the key before then, naturally you are charged at that time, but that is the user's choice and is not a forced payment. Like my next billing date is April 27th. The new bundle will possibly be announced this week and made available next week. That's 20+ days to decide before getting charged automatically. Hell, if you paused anytime this month you can still change your mind and purchase up til next Tuesday.

I thought that maybe I missed something so I went back through the old emails and the first one is in late Feb (24th or so) hyping the upcoming bundle. It says "control" in the text and the picture. On March 2nd there's another email saying the bundle is now available. They must have gotten the message that some folks were confused at that point because it explicitly states "control:standard edition". This is the first point where the bundle can be purchased and I'm assuming the website also had this verbiage.

I don't Twitter so if someone asked and received an answer that it would be ultimate, then yes, I agree that would cause mass confusion and upset. But even then they would correct it quickly and blame the intern.

It sucks that for some it activated and showed ultimate edition when that's not actually what they owned. I know that I would treat it as a happy accident if I got it but still be disappointed finding out the dlc isn't there.

And I agree with you about the dlc rarely going on sale. It's ironic that humble has the control season pass on the cheap now since this usually isn't the case. I usually end up waiting for complete versions to drop or justify buying dlc I want later by saying "meh I got the base game cheap".

Hope your chest feels better!

I don't know if it is something that can be done on the Steam side of things since, but could 505 Games and Remedy rename that actual same entry on Steam from "Control: Ultimate Edition" to just flat-out "Control", since they basically broke everything up here?

I guess the other thing Remedy and 505 could've done...is just flat-out created a separate new "Control" entry that was NOT the "Control" Ultimate Ed." B/c this one's confusing, for those not in the know of all of those back-tracking and breaking it up piece-by-piece shenanigans.

This is right up there w/ "Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition" - which for me isn't so Definitive, as what I have here is missing the DLC's (which I recall from Humble, only gave the base-game). And it also looks like you can only buy it Definitive with all of the content on Steam now. Looks like we can also do the "Upgrade to Definitive" via Steam or buy "Tomb Raider Collection" Bundle (I have most of that TR stuff, so it's only showing me missing the SoTTR DLC & Extras content - but I get a bigger discount that way by that TR Collection Bundle), via  the "Complete A Bundle" discount option too.

Early this morning, someone on slickdeals posted next months Humble Choice. Metro Exodus, Persona 4 Golden, and Ori Will of the Wisps were the headliners. I went back to see the rest of the games but it's not listed anymore. I don't think it was an April fools joke either.

Edit:  Well, I'm glad it was a fake because I don't want any of those games. 

Early this morning, someone on slickdeals posted next months Humble Choice. Metro Exodus, Persona 4 Golden, and Ori Will of the Wisps were the headiners. I went back to see the rest of the games but it's not listed anymore. I don't think it was an April fools joke either.
Definitely an April Fool's joke.

Early this morning, someone on slickdeals posted next months Humble Choice. Metro Exodus, Persona 4 Golden, and Ori Will of the Wisps were the headiners. I went back to see the rest of the games but it's not listed anymore. I don't think it was an April fools joke either.
Crap. That would've been an awesome bundle and easily got a "Buy" from me.

EDIT:

Oh, maybe I read that too quick, thinking it's an April Fool's Jake.

So, it could be real?!?!? Well, I hope it is. I'd be all over that one. We'll have to wait & see.

So I've never subbed, but after making a purchase on the humble store yesterday they added a $8.80 coupon off a month of choice expiring 5/4.  So i guess that means I have march or april's sets to pick from for $3.20?  Once they disclose april's titles, march is no longer available - correct?

EDIT:

Oh, maybe I read that too quick, thinking it's an April Fool's Jake.

So, it could be real?!?!? Well, I hope it is. I'd be all over that one. We'll have to wait & see.
Nope, as Insomniac pointed out in that Slickdeals thread it's a bad photoshop so yeah it's almost certainly fake.

So I've never subbed, but after making a purchase on the humble store yesterday they added a $8.80 coupon off a month of choice expiring 5/4. So i guess that means I have march or april's sets to pick from for $3.20? Once they disclose april's titles, march is no longer available - correct?
Sounds about right to me. I'd love to know more about this 8.80 coupon, though. Never heard of them doing that before. Was it a big purchase? I'm guessing you didn't get it from a $5 game.

EDIT: Missed the first part where you said you've never subbed before, which I'm assuming is a primary factor in receiving the offer.

Sounds about right to me. I'd love to know more about this 8.80 coupon, though. Never heard of them doing that before. Was it a big purchase? I'm guessing you didn't get it from a $5 game.

EDIT: Missed the first part where you said you've never subbed before, which I'm assuming is a primary factor in receiving the offer.
Both factors actually. I made a $70 purchase and afterward got the following on my account: Single use coupon. Coupon redeemable for Up to $8.80 Off Choice in a single purchase in the Humble Store. This coupon may not be combined with other identical coupons in the same transaction, and may not be combined with other Humble Bundle coupons. Coupon must be redeemed at time of checkout by following the directions provided for coupon redemption.

Got an email offer of $10/mo for next 4 months of Choice if I sub before 4/6. Kinda crappy compared to the $6 offer, but still not a bad deal if you're in the rare category of wanting this month's bundle and haven't already purchased it.

Looks like the deal is locked to my email so not sure how widespread it is.
Definitely random as the one that was sent to me was 6$ a month for 3 months

If you've never subbed then the price of a month of Choice is more than $12 -- that's the grandfathered price people with active subs before the change to Choice receive.

Edit: Was directed at gospelman.

But the thing is, that's not how it works now. You keep saying that you need to decide or get autocharged but that happens at the end of the month.
Let me try again.

1. Look at first email.

2. Go look at game being offered on Steam. That is where it will be redeemed.

3. Only one version is being sold.

4. Decide that looks good and no further action is needed because;

5. autocharge kicks in at a later date and you then own the bundle.

You don't need to do anything at all to get charged if you are subscribed. Your inaction is your permission to continue the subscription.

You say that everyone has a whole month to decide. If you look at the games being offered in their very first communication.... what's to decide? Do nothing. Get charged.

It's fun to note that Control is on sale on Steam right now. Guess what's not on sale? Also no complete the bundle price.

But like I said... I'm over it now. :beer: I just found it to be greatly mishandled and a troubling trend.

Humble's Build Your Own Deep Silver Bundle.

Buy 3 or more titles for bigger discounts overall:

• 3 titles = 80% off
  • 4 titles = 83% off
  • 5 titles = 85% off
"Games To Pick From" List:

• Gods Will Fall: Valiant Edition (with DLC)
  • Gods Will Fall (base-game)
  • Outward (base)
  • Outward: The Soroboreans (DLC #1)
  • Outward: The Three Brothers (DLC #2)
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance (base)
  • Painkiller Collection
    (PK: Black Ed.; PK: Overdose; PK: Recurring Evil; PK: Redemption; PK: Resurrection; PK: H&D + 8 DLC's)
  • Painkiller H&D (base)
  • Agents of Mayhem (base)
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Metro: Last Light Redux
  • Metro Redux Pack (Metro 2033 Redux & Metro LL Redux)
  • Homefront (base)
  • Homefront: The Revolution - Standard Edition (base)
  • Homefront: The Revolution - Season Pass 
  • Mighty No. 9
  • Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition
  • Dead Island: Definitive Edition
  • Dead Island: Riptide - Definitive Edition
  • Deadlight: Director's Cut
  • Relicta
  • Windbound
  • Lost Horizon: Double Pack (Lost Horizon 1 & 2)
  • Dakar 18
  • Red Faction
  • Red Faction II
  • Red Faction: Armageddon
  • Red Faction: Guerilla - Re-Mars-Tered
  • Red Faction: Collection
    (Red Faction 1; Red Faction 2; Red Faction: Armageddon; Red Faction: Guerrilla - Re-Mars-Tered)
  • Saints Row: The Third - Full Package
  • Saints Row IV: Game of the Century Edition
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Explorer Edition (base-game)

Humble's Build Your Own Deep Silver Bundle.

Buy 3 or more titles for bigger discounts overall:

• 3 titles = 80% off
  • 4 titles = 83% off
  • 5 titles = 85% off
This is kind of interesting although some of this stuff has already been in one of the main bundles with the rest potentially on its way. Seems like a decent way to pick up the second Outward expansion. Gods Will Fall and Windbound look interesting, too, although Windbound has fairly negative reviews on Steam.

Pretty good bundle options, easy way to pick up Outward and its DLC too.
Yep, I'm only missing Three Brothers DLC for Outward.

Also missing Gods Will Fall: Valiant, Agents of Mayhem, Painkiller: Complete, Lost Horizon: Double Pack, Windbound, Relicta, and Dakar 18.

Not sure which combo of these I might really want out of these - but could be a good way to get certain stuff I'm really missing here.

Just saw a YouTube playthrough of God's Will Fall where someone -- playing fairly casually -- beat the game in an hour and forty minutes. I spent more time playing Cat Quest.

I spent more time playing Cat Quest.
To be fair, I feel like that can, or at least should, be applicable to most things. E.G.:

"You watched the extended edition of Lord of the Rings? I spent more time playing Cat Quest."

"You took 500 hours to finish Skyrim? I spent more time playing Cat Quest."

"The United States declared independence 245 years ago? I spent more time playing Cat Quest."

"Non-avian dinosaurs have been extinct for 65 million years? I spent more time playing Cat Quest."

To be fair, I feel like that can, or at least should, be applicable to most things. E.G.:

"You watched the extended edition of Lord of the Rings? I spent more time playing Cat Quest."

"You took 500 hours to finish Skyrim? I spent more time playing Cat Quest."

"The United States declared independence 245 years ago? I spent more time playing Cat Quest."

"Non-avian dinosaurs have been extinct for 65 million years? I spent more time playing Cat Quest.
For the record, I spend 8.6 hours playing Cat Quest.

Humble Choice April 2021 Games:

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts

F1 2020

Shenmue III

Main Assembly

Rock of Ages III: Make & Break

Remothered: Broken Porcelain

In Other Waters

Aven Colony

Simulacra + Simulacra 2

Colt Canyon

Skully

Popup Dungeon

Happy enough with Shenmue III and some of the other games for $6, but don't know that I'd be in on this at $12.

Is anyone else having a problem with the Humble website? The browser URL says I'm there but looking at these games makes me fairly certain I've been mistakenly redirected to IndieGala.

bread's done
Back