Humble Bundle Thread

I think the game I'm most interested in is the original this month. It has an excellent trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQYn6KH3vVk

Drake Hollow, Nowhere Prophet, and As Far as The Eye look interesting from a gameplay perspective but my concern with these artistic type games is that their biggest selling point is the visuals while the gameplay might prove lacking.

Looks like this month they have switched from mediocre headliner and trashy filler, to mediocre from top to bottom. Though that MMO game looks like a dumpster fire.

Out of Space has already been in a Fanatical bundle.

Kinda like going from Tebow's mom to MysterD's mom...
tenor.gif

Looking here and on Reddit, I'm surprised people are so down on Bloodstained. I didn't love it, but it's highly acclaimed and one of the most high profile metroidvanias ever. 

I played it on gamepass and didn't finish it so I'm kinda tempted to grab it here. I also really enjoyed the random mode in Bloodstained. I think it's a pretty underrated aspect of the game that almost turns it into a roguelike. 

Reddit tends to be a positive hype train due to the nature of subreddits, it’s best not to take the reactions to pretty much anything there at face value.

I haven’t played it myself, but in general I’m always a bit suspicious of Kickstarter projects whose success is based on the popularity of an older title. I also really just don’t at all care for the way Bloodstained looks. I won’t really go out of my way to recommend against it based on those factors, mind you, but it certainly doesn’t excite me, personally.

Yeah like take myself and the KPOP community on reddit. I rarely post my real opinions on songs because according to every stan every new song by their favorites is song of the year and the best thing ever that makes them cry. You do a post saying oh that was a little repetitive or a bit kind of preteen for a girl in her 20s and you're downvoted into oblivion. At least here you can trash games and also praise them without being voted silent pretty much. I'm a bit surprised most are ho hum on Bloodstained, where at least it's relatively cheap to get it here. I've cooled massively on Kickstarter games after playing a few duds video game wise as well as board game wise. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reddit tends to be a positive hype train due to the nature of subreddits, it’s best not to take the reactions to pretty much anything there at face value.

I haven’t played it myself, but in general I’m always a bit suspicious of Kickstarter projects whose success is based on the popularity of an older title. I also really just don’t at all care for the way Bloodstained looks. I won’t really go out of my way to recommend against it based on those factors, mind you, but it certainly doesn’t excite me, personally.
Take this thread and compare it to the Nintendo Switch thread on here. On that thread Nintendo can do no wrong.

Looks like this month they have switched from mediocre headliner and trashy filler, to mediocre from top to bottom. Though that MMO game looks like a dumpster fire.
That's pretty accurate for the month. But I don't mind it, because I usually would have bought the headliner if I had any interest in actually playing it. It's the mediocre stuff that I don't bother with, and wait for a bundle on. And that meets my purchasing habits perfectly.

Yeah like take myself and the KPOP community on reddit. I rarely post my real opinions on songs because according to every stan every new song by their favorites is song of the year and the best thing ever that makes them cry.
lol, pretty much have to stick with the subs that skew older and more male. Like Iz*one.

I'd have been a lot more interested in this a year ago, but so many of these have been on Game Pass for at least that long... I've already played through Bloodstained and Carto, making the entire group of them a lot less interesting. 

But I guess it'll give an excuse for me to go back to Bloodstained and try out the Zangetsu mode again, the Bloodless mode, and Classic mode. 

I think part of the reason people are down on Bloodstained is that despite the continued work on it to add in the various stretch goals, it is a two year old game at this point.  Hype as basically evaporated at this point and now you're stuck with diehards- both fans and haters, along with people that tend to see the game for what it is- a mostly competent metroidvania that tries really hard to cater to the nostalgia people have for Castlevania. 

It's an ok enough game, but it's far from the best metroidvania I've played, or even the best Castlevania-alike.

Upon checking out the store pages for these games on steam I found I had already ignored all but 3 of them in the past. I promptly added 2 more to the ignore list for good measure.

Pretty disappointing bundle outside of superliminal, but it will take more than one interesting game to redeem this mess.

Upon checking out the store pages for these games on steam I found I had already ignored all but 3 of them in the past. I promptly added 2 more to the ignore list for good measure.

Pretty disappointing bundle outside of superliminal, but it will take more than one interesting game to redeem this mess.
Here is an example of someone buying the bundle on reddit whom I sell to regularly. Here is his prices:

• Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - $7.00
  • Last Oasis - $4.00
  • Superliminal - $1.90
  • Out of Space - $.25
  • We Need to Go Deeper - $.50
  • Carto - $.25 (No RU, SEA, LATAM)
  • As Far as the Eye - $.10
  • Cepheus Protocol - $.10
  • Drake Hollow - $.10
  • Nowhere Prophet - $.10
  • Blue Fire - $.10
  • Encodya - $.10
  • Entire August - $14.50
So you could keep Superlimenal, and sell the rest of the bundle for a profit.

Bloodstained, I played it for a bit when taking a break from Div 2 but haven't gotten back to it after leaving Div 2.

It was solid, no real complaints, though I think I got lost for awhile on where to go next. I didn't finish it but that's on me and not the game.

I'd have been a lot more interested in this a year ago, but so many of these have been on Game Pass for at least that long... I've already played through Bloodstained and Carto, making the entire group of them a lot less interesting.

But I guess it'll give an excuse for me to go back to Bloodstained and try out the Zangetsu mode again, the Bloodless mode, and Classic mode.

I think part of the reason people are down on Bloodstained is that despite the continued work on it to add in the various stretch goals, it is a two year old game at this point. Hype as basically evaporated at this point and now you're stuck with diehards- both fans and haters, along with people that tend to see the game for what it is- a mostly competent metroidvania that tries really hard to cater to the nostalgia people have for Castlevania.

It's an ok enough game, but it's far from the best metroidvania I've played, or even the best Castlevania-alike.
Bloodstained also had one of the most successful game Kickstarters too. So most of the people that were Castlevania fans already own it. Like you said, it's been over 2 years and the hype is gone already. It's a fine headliner but it's the only game of value in the bundle for me and I already owned it

Here is an example of someone buying the bundle on reddit whom I sell to regularly. Here is his prices:

• Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - $7.00
  • Last Oasis - $4.00
  • Superliminal - $1.90
  • Out of Space - $.25
  • We Need to Go Deeper - $.50
  • Carto - $.25 (No RU, SEA, LATAM)
  • As Far as the Eye - $.10
  • Cepheus Protocol - $.10
  • Drake Hollow - $.10
  • Nowhere Prophet - $.10
  • Blue Fire - $.10
  • Encodya - $.10
  • Entire August - $14.50
So you could keep Superlimenal, and sell the rest of the bundle for a profit.
Lol @ ten cents. Hell, if any of you want to sell me Drake Hollow, Nowhere Profit, and As Far As The Eye, I'd gladly pay $1 for the lot of them. That's a whopping $0.33 each!

When it comes to those last four or five games in the bundle that no one gives a damn about, I won't even waste the time trying to sell them for $0.25 a piece. Instead I waste the time farming the $0.10 worth of cards.

The animation, art style and floaty movement are all kinda "meh" to me. I also remember it having a number of audio issues although I'm sure those have been sorted out by now.

That said, I did end up playing it all the way through to the end, warts and all. Compared to other well-known modern-day Metroidvanias that I've played, I'd probably place it in the middle of the pack.
I played bloodstained through gamepass and quite enjoyed it. I'm curious as to which games you'd put above it - so i can try them as well!

Lol @ ten cents. Hell, if any of you want to sell me Drake Hollow, Nowhere Profit, and As Far As The Eye, I'd gladly pay $1 for the lot of them. That's a whopping $0.33 each!
Here is something cheaper, you can buy the bundle, keep those 10 cent games and sell the rest for essentially the same price you bought the bundle. FREE GAMES!!!

Fair enough, but I played those back when "renting" "Nintendo tapes" from a "local video store" were common phrases that didn't have to be looked up to understand them.

I was more interested in the well-known modern-day metroidvanias that were hinted at.

I played bloodstained through gamepass and quite enjoyed it. I'm curious as to which games you'd put above it - so i can try them as well!
Of what I've played over the last two years or so:

Better than ROTN

- Ori and the Will of the Wisps

- Blasphemous

- Steamworld Dig 2

- Axiom Verge

- Yoku's Island Express

On par with ROTN

- Ori and the Blind Forest

- The Messenger (a good game that would've been better if it weren't a Metroidvania)

- Touhou Luna Nights

- Guacamelee 2

Worse than ROTN

- Timespinner

- Death's Gambit

- Supraland

If you're so-so on Bloodstained being a Metrovania game/game in general, try out Gato Roboto - You probably own it already if you're CAG through and through.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/916730/Gato_Roboto/

I haven't finished because I played on keyboard and it was horrid but recently tried controller on a boss battle that I got stuck on and it was glorious. Fun game from Devolver Digital with some good kitty cat humor!

Is it dumb or smart of Humble to put their self-published games on Gamepass before Humble Choice?

Dodgeball Academia is on gamepass day one. Seems weird to support a rival subcription service

I assume they feel that there are enough people who will want a Steam key so they can "own" the game as opposed to renting it via subscription, so putting it up on GP is just some supplemental revenue. Humble seems to have a strong relationship with Microsoft (Ikenfell and The Wild At Heart were both Day 1 GP as well, not to mention all the other games they've put up on the service) so by now they're probably aware of how many people play it via GP and what kind of effect it has on sales numbers.

Big Brain Bundle

All on Steam and "Other Platforms", unless stated other-wise.

Tier 1 = $1.00

• I Am Not A Monster: First Contact
  • No Time To Relax -> Steam only
Tier 2 = BTA

• The Battle of Polytopia -> Steam only
  • 5D Chess with Multiverse Time Travel
  • 7 Billion Humans
Tier 3 = $9.00 Tier

• XCOM 2 -> Steam only
  • BattleTech -> Steam only

BTA price is garbage. You may as well buy the third tier. Been wanting the 5D chess to try it, and No Time to Relax looks like OK bundle fodder. Probably a bit too expensive for my blood having the whole top tier.

I pre-ordered the Steam handheld, so will all of these games 'port' to steam and make them playable? I have a handful of games on steam, so pretty new to the PC games market. 

I pre-ordered the Steam handheld, so will all of these games 'port' to steam and make them playable? I have a handful of games on steam, so pretty new to the PC games market.
Mostly everything should work on the default OS, either through native Linux support or via Proton compatibility. The major exceptions are MP games that have a specific anti-cheat that doesn't play well with Proton (So Apex, Siege, Destiny 2, PUBG, Halo MP). Although Valve is trying to work things out with the anti-cheat companies prior to release.

For games relying on Proton, this site should be a useful resource to see how specific games will perform.

Alternatively, you'll also have the option to install Windows on the device to ensure even greater compatibility.

I was new like you, once a upon a time, not that long ago. I did not know how deep the "buying Steam games to play later" rabbit hole would go.

Game Informer published a list of games that definitely would not work on the Steam Deck, but I guess we will know more closer to the time of release.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/07/19/here-are-the-list-of-games-you-cant-play-on-steam-deck

Safe travels, my friend.

... and nothing of value was lost.

I was new like you, once a upon a time, not that long ago. I did not know how deep the "buying Steam games to play later" rabbit hole would go.

Game Informer published a list of games that definitely would not work on the Steam Deck, but I guess we will know more closer to the time of release.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/07/19/here-are-the-list-of-games-you-cant-play-on-steam-deck

Safe travels, my friend.
... and nothing of value was lost.

I just bought the $18 tier of the Judge Dredd - Perps, Punks, and Partners by 2000 AD comic book bundle that ends in 12 hours. 

After reading Reddit, I discovered that everything in the $25 top tier had already been included in the August 2020 Judge Dredd bundle.

Pretty sneaky, Humble.  :shame:

I assume they feel that there are enough people who will want a Steam key so they can "own" the game as opposed to renting it via subscription, so putting it up on GP is just some supplemental revenue. Humble seems to have a strong relationship with Microsoft (Ikenfell and The Wild At Heart were both Day 1 GP as well, not to mention all the other games they've put up on the service) so by now they're probably aware of how many people play it via GP and what kind of effect it has on sales numbers.
Just to go back to this, a whole bunch more Humble-published games are now coming Day 1 to Game Pass in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90uou_Jrqo

Best of Stealth Bundle.

NOTE: ALL are listed for Steam unless stated otherwise.

$1 Tier:

- Aragami

BTA Tier:

- ECHO

- Heat Signature

- Styx: Shards of Darkness

$12 Tier:

- Ghost of a Tale

- Hitman (2016): GOTY Edition
- Hitman 2: GOTY Edition (2018)

- 10% off coupon on the Humble Store for Hitman 3 (Epic key).

Best of Stealth Bundle.

NOTE: ALL are listed for Steam unless stated otherwise.

$1 Tier:

- Aragami

BTA Tier:

- ECHO

- Heat Signature

- Styx: Shards of Darkness

$12 Tier:

- Hitman (2016): GOTY Edition
- Hitman 2: GOTY Edition (2018)

- 10% off coupon on the Humble Store for Hitman 3 (Epic key).
I bit at the dollar tier for Aragami. I've been keeping an eye on Aragami 2, and figured for a buck? Why not?

bread's done
Back