= LEGO: The Hobbit - The Battle Pack DLC

$10 Tier:

= Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - GOTY Edition

= Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Definitive Edition

= Gauntlet: Slayer Edition

= Gauntlet: Lilith The Necromancer Pack DLC

= LEGO: The Lord of the Rings

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this in the Oculus/Meta Quest thread the other day, but someone in here might be interested and might have seen it yet:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/valiant-vr?hmb_source=&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_threes_tile_index_3_c_topshelfvr_bundle

Valiant VR (steam) bundle at Humble. $20 for:

VTOL VR
Dragon Fist: VR Kung Fu
Into the Radius VR
Hard Bullet
Contractors
Takelings House Party
Budget Cuts 2: Mission Insolvency

Potential leak of the next choice https://gg.deals/bundle/humble-choice-september-2022-leak-we-know-about-4-included-games/

I still haven't received a discount offer, but even if I don't after waiting a few more days/week, I think it looks worthy of $12 as all 4 games are on my wish list.
So.. a paradox game that will eventually have a million DLCs and a game that was free on epic? The only one I'm interested in is Forgive Me Father so this seems like a $6 choice bundle for me

aiZHtVL.gif

Potential leak of the next choice https://gg.deals/bundle/humble-choice-september-2022-leak-we-know-about-4-included-games/

I still haven't received a discount offer, but even if I don't after waiting a few more days/week, I think it looks worthy of $12 as all 4 games are on my wish list.
I'm vaguely interested in The Dungeon of Naga...naga...nagonnaworkhereanymore...but not enough to sign up unless there are a couple other titles of interest. If I did get it, I'd probably trade away the CK3 key at the very least.

If this is in the bunlde, the rumors that sales aren't good are true. Paradox is unhappy enough with sales of CK3 that they want to gin up interest in their $30 dlc. Oh and a new dlc that isn't part of the $30 season pass is releasing this week. So probably another $10-15 for an "events pack".

They never took Denuvo off of it. Or Just Cause 3. Which is why Just Cause 2 is the last one I played.
I think Just Cause 1 was the last Avalanche game that I finished.

JC2 and JC3; and Mad Max just felt so repetitive and their stories & character stuff just ain't spectacular.

I think Just Cause 1 was the last Avalanche game that I finished.

JC2 and JC3; and Mad Max just felt so repetitive and their stories & character stuff just ain't spectacular.
They are definitely repetitive games but I had a lot of fun messing around the sandbox of JC2. Would gladly play the 3 and 4th if they removed Denuvo.

This is a bit of a stretch. If you get 8 games from the platinum bundle it was cost double this. And paradox games are not in fanatical vocabulary.
But the four other Humble games might be so bad it won't matter!

If anyone out there is making games or interested in making games, the new Unity bundle (https://www.humblebundle.com/software/unity-tools-software) is really good.  I know they do a lot of Unity bundles on Humble now, but this one is a standout IMO.

Smart Lighting 2D is one of my favorite assets.  That alone is already worth the $30 IMO.  TopDown Engine I think I paid $60 for a while back, too - although I didn't end up using it for anything, it was really impressive as a feature-packed starting point for a game.  Some of these other assets in here look really promising as well.

Crusader Kings III
Just Cause 4: Complete Edition
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
Forgive Me Father
Crown Trick
Descenders
INDUSTRIA
Shapez + Puzzle DLC

Looks like a solid bundle for the month.  Not bad at all.

After they didn't include the complete edition of the last Tomb Raider game, I figured the same would happen if Just Cause 4 was ever included. and so picked up the complete edition. Oh well.

But the four other Humble games might be so bad it won't matter!
The other four games are actually really good. Probably the best top to bottom bundle in a long time. The Descenders, Industria and Shapez are/were on my wish list and have great reviews.

Edit- Crown Trick was also on my wish list but Fanatical did bundle it twice in the last month or two...

Yea, kinda wish I had waited on Crown Trick, but it doesn't break the deal for me, either.  I am also weird that I already owned Shapez.

I wanted this bundle for Dungeons of I Can't Spell That Word, and $8 is the cheapest its been and I get a few other games that were on my wish list (albeit pretty low).  The complete JC4 is actually a nice surprise, in fact. 

CK3 means I look forward to the "BYOB" in 8 years to get all the DLC for the strategy game I always want to play, but never learn.

Crusader Kings III
Just Cause 4: Complete Edition
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
Forgive Me Father
Crown Trick
Descenders
INDUSTRIA
Shapez + Puzzle DLC

Looks like a solid bundle for the month. Not bad at all.
Forgive me Father looks interesting, 90's FPS horror comic book style. Industria's demo a couple years ago was good. Naheulbuek could be good, it was on the wishlist. Descenders might be fun to try at least. JC4 will be another JC game I don't play. I played 2 I think on console for 20 minutes years ago. CK3 hurts because its more proof that you should just wait 1-2 years on any Paradox made/published game. But for $1.50 worth trying out if you have any interest.

The moonscars exclusive on the humble app looks to be more of a way to get people to install their silly app.

There's no peaks and valley's with this one, just a plateau of positive products.  If you dabble in a lot of different genres, you'll likely be pleased, but no one genre-type person is going to be super stoked about a lot of these.

Inversely, they're all well priced, more so if you get a $2~$4 off coupon.  I was happy to pay $8 for the lot.

The other four games are actually really good. Probably the best top to bottom bundle in a long time. The Descenders, Industria and Shapez are/were on my wish list and have great reviews.

Edit- Crown Trick was also on my wish list but Fanatical did bundle it twice in the last month or two...
We'll have to agree to disagree as I see most of them (the four additional ones) appearing in a 5 for $3.00 Fanatical bundle soon enough.

I beat Crown Trick ages ago when it released, but it's a solid actual rogue like title. It's a little simplified but fun and is beatable.
Don't mean to go off on a tangent, but quotes like this are the main reason I can't take the roguelike community seriously. (Not talking about you here; just in general.) Not only do they sneer at and look down on anything that's less than a pure roguelike; they can't even come to a full agreement on what actually constitutes a pure roguelike. I've listed many games that fit all the criteria (randomly generated, permadeath, no overall progression or unlockables, etc.), only for them to say they're not really roguelikes because they're not difficult enough or complicated enough for them.

Don't mean to go off on a tangent, but quotes like this are the main reason I can't take the roguelike community seriously. (Not talking about you here; just in general.) Not only do they sneer at and look down on anything that's less than a pure roguelike; they can't even come to a full agreement on what actually constitutes a pure roguelike. I've listed many games that fit all the criteria (randomly generated, permadeath, no overall progression or unlockables, etc.), only for them to say they're not really roguelikes because they're not difficult enough or complicated enough for them.
A roguelike is a game like Rogue: a turn-based, tile-based top-down RPG with procedurally generated levels and true permadeath. Preferably with ASCII-based graphics.

Zachtronics bundle seems a decent deal. I already have Shenzhen I/O, but I don't recall seeing a few of the games in other bundles.

Yeah I didn't mean to sound stuck up. I just meant go around turn based RPG based on the original Rogue and others like Nethack and ADOM. It was pretty good honestly although I think the replay value was a little low once I beat it. I didn't feel like playing it again. It makes for a great bundled game and it took me just shy of 24 hours to get 42 out of 48 achievements. 

Are there more than Rogue-likes (games mostly like Rogue - i.e. procedural areas; dungeon crawling; turn-based combat; Permadeath; and often no winning state) and Rogue-lites (Rogue type of games that have some of the traits, but don't adhere to some of Rogue's traits in some sort of way - i.e. there might be a way to win and finish the game; Permadeath might not be here; and other stuff) out there?

I mean, every game and genre has gone so far away from their original intentions & have mixed genres so much, it's hard to sometimes when distinguish what's what. I remember when RPG's were basically turn-based RPG's like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy (those are also Classic JRPG's); and when Fallout 1 & 2 was a classic CRPG (open-world RPG with turn-based combat).

Now, Final Fantasy at the latest since FF15 seems to have gone into some ARPG direction with real-time combat (and is looking to go even further in that direction with FF16); and Bethesda (since Fallout 3) has turned Fallout into some sort of open-world Shooter/RPG even more so w/ each of their own entries and it no longer is in that classic CRPG style (from Fallout 1 & 2).

Are there more than Rogue-likes (games mostly like Rogue - i.e. procedural areas; dungeon crawling; turn-based combat; Permadeath; and often no winning state) and Rogue-lites (Rogue type of games that have some of the traits, but don't adhere to some of Rogue's traits in some sort of way - i.e. there might be a way to win and finish the game; Permadeath might not be here; and other stuff) out there?
You can win Rogue. I imagine very few people have done so, but there’s totally a winstate programmed into the game.

Also isn’t the only thing that actually unites roguelites the fact that they have some form of functional permadeath? Like the character may not actually die, you might get to carry some bonuses forward, or you might unlock some shortcuts, but your progress is more or less reset upon defeat?

No, that's the only distinction. And the term roguelite is kind of pointless in the first place. "Roguelike" describes games that have most of qualities of the original game Rogue, so most games like that should fall under that category. If you want a game that's exactly like Rogue, just fucking play Rogue. There's no other genre that flips out or splits hairs because a game is not identical to this one old ass game.

How about the rogues who send out Steam invites asking about Humble Bundle and wanting to trade games. I got another one of those the other day. They were looking for some rare or older games to trade, even willing to go first if we found a trade.

There's no other genre that flips out or splits hairs because a game is not identical to this one old ass game.
There aren’t many other genres that are entirely founded on their similarities to a single game, and even fewer that flourished with their own established genre tropes in such obscurity for thirty years until some hipsters started calling everything that had one or two similarities to the genre to that point a member of the genre.

The 2K bundle is pretty good, but worth noting that Borderlands 3 is missing the second season pass, and unless I'm missing something it looks like Civ V is missing all of the DLC. Might be more worth it to give the key away and get the platinum edition separately, if you somehow don't own it already

But what about all those Rouge-likes that are constantly mentioned on message boards across the internet … what is the makeup of those games?

There aren’t many other genres that are entirely founded on their similarities to a single game
That's not relevant, and I think you got the hipster part backwards. Genres evolve and expand over time. That happened to this genre, but people decided to draw the line and say "it has to follow every single one of these rules (which as I mentioned people can't even come to full agreement on; I've seen people insist that it MUST have ASCII graphics) or it's just a hollow imitation."

There are main genres (platformer), and subgenres (action RPG), and also specific themes like tower defense, metroidvania (let's not even get into that one), and roguelike. If a game has tower defense elements you call it a tower defense and no one bats an eye; same with metroidvania. Maybe you'd split hairs and say it has elements of that style. But you don't freak out and say "don't call it that; call it this!" like people do with roguelikes/roguelites. There's no capture the flag-lite distinction. If it's clearly inspired by that style, even if it deviates in a few ways here or there, it should have that name.

That's not relevant, and I think you got the hipster part backwards. Genres evolve and expand over time. That happened to this genre, but people decided to draw the line and say "it has to follow every single one of these rules (which as I mentioned people can't even come to full agreement on; I've seen people insist that it MUST have ASCII graphics) or it's just a hollow imitation."

There are main genres (platformer), and subgenres (action RPG), and also specific themes like tower defense, metroidvania (let's not even get into that one), and roguelike. If a game has tower defense elements you call it a tower defense and no one bats an eye; same with metroidvania. Maybe you'd split hairs and say it has elements of that style. But you don't freak out and say "don't call it that; call it this!" like people do with roguelikes/roguelites. There's no capture the flag-lite distinction. If it's clearly inspired by that style, even if it deviates in a few ways here or there, it should have that name.
Two things.

The genre had already been established and evolving for 30 years on its own before a few idiots decided they were going to appropriate the name for barely related games that happened to be more mainstream than the genre the name actually applied to. That isn’t natural evolution of a genre, it’s mislabeling. Roguelikes are an early subgenre of turn-based RPGs. They can’t suddenly become something other than that.

Permadeath and procedural generation are not sufficient to define a genre. Every genre can have permadeath and/or procedural generation—many arcade games do, for instance, and nobody considers those roguelikes. To be a distinct genre, a category has to be distinguishable from other genres.

bread's done
Back