Humble Origin Bundle - Steam keys - 8/22: C&C Red Alert 3 Uprising and Populous added

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
$1+
  • Dead Space
  • Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box
  • Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Dead Space 3 - Origin only
  • Medal of Honor

Beat the Average
  • Battlefield 3 - Origin only
  • The Sims 3 + Starter Pack - Origin Only
  • C&C: Red Alert 3 - Uprising*
  • Populous* - Origin Only
*Included for all purchases, regardless of price, made before 11 AM PST on 8/22.

Steam keys are provided unless otherwise noted. All games are on Origin. Keys are individual for each game on both platforms.

The money in this bundle goes to charity, not Origin/EA.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Completionist DLC... Count me in with that small percent of people that will usually NOT buy a game until it has a GOTY edition or it the base is discounted so much as to make DLC-purchasing not as painful. The only exceptions for me are Rome II (albiet I snagged for $45) and Battlefield 4 (because all my buddies are getting it)... I fully expect both of those titles to fleece me for AS MUCH as I've already spent, if not more.

I used to care more about DLC. Lately? Eh. I hardly play any of the 800ish games I have anyways. DLC is usually give or take, so it's not that vital for me these days.

I gotta say, all I wanted was the Sims 3. Now that I got past the pain it was to download it and the expansions, I couldn't be more pleased with this sale. I plan on just hanging on to the codes for the remaining games until I can get a better graphics card and cut into my backlog some more. 

But since this is my first humble bundle, I gotta ask if there any reason why just hanging onto the codes for later would be a bad idea? The website will save the codes, right?

I gotta say, all I wanted was the Sims 3. Now that I got past the pain it was to download it and the expansions, I couldn't be more pleased with this sale. I plan on just hanging on to the codes for the remaining games until I can get a better graphics card and cut into my backlog some more.

But since this is my first humble bundle, I gotta ask if there any reason why just hanging onto the codes for later would be a bad idea? The website will save the codes, right?

Yep, you can access them whenever you want for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure why you wouldn't redeem them now if you plan to later, but you don't need to worry about losing access to them either way :)

Tomorrow I expect MoH Airborne, Derp Space 2, and Bulletstorm to be added.  $10,000,000 in tax deductible contributions is worth it!

Crossing my fingers for more bonuses! Really want to get Bulletstorm in my library. Maybe even play the co-op/MP before the GFWL servers breathe their last breath.

I want to spare you the indignity of paying $15 for the Citadel DLC.
Too late!

And it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't really $15 worth of content. In fairness, I actually got a bit bored after I <edit> did that thing that eliminated the major antagonist in the DLC and skipped the whole "house party" segment.
And where was Jack, anyway?

Too late!

And it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't really $15 worth of content. In fairness, I actually got a bit bored after I <edit> did that thing that eliminated the major antagonist in the DLC and skipped the whole "house party" segment.
And where was Jack, anyway?
I actually really enjoyed the party. I've gone through and listened to all the different dialogue scenarios.

Assuming Jack is alive and you saved everyone from Grissom Academy, she'll send you a message to meet her at the Arena for a little "relaxation". After that, she'll ask to visit your new pad.

I actually really enjoyed the party. I've gone through and listened to all the different dialogue scenarios.

Assuming Jack is alive and you saved everyone from Grissom Academy, she'll send you a message to meet her at the Arena for a little "relaxation". After that, she'll ask to visit your new pad.
Hm. Interesting. I guess if this weren't almost a year after I beat the SP game, I might have had more patience for it (the story was interesting enough albeit with a serious "sci-fi" cliche at its heart but some of the combat sequences were surprisingly difficult--especially coming back after that amount of time and having to refamiliarize myself with the control scheme). As it was, I kinda looked at ME3 sitting there on my hard drive and figured that the Citadel DLC was the only one I was really interested in and that I might as well go ahead and cough up the real-world money for it because it wasn't going to get a sale in ever. So I bought it and played through the bulk of the story and said, "Okay, I'm closing the book on ME3."

So I just started playing the original Mass Effect a week or so ago, and I'm not even 10 hours in. What DLC over the course of the 3 games is essential to get the best version of the ME story? Can one get the majority of the story through the base game alone? I heard the original ending is carp (no need for anyone to expand on that... I get it), so is there a better ending in one of the DLCs? I'm looking to spend as little as possible, but I'm not opposed to a purchase or 3 if it makes the game more complete.

So I just started playing the original Mass Effect a week or so ago, and I'm not even 10 hours in. What DLC over the course of the 3 games is essential to get the best version of the ME story? Can one get the majority of the story through the base game alone? I heard the original ending is carp (no need for anyone to expand on that... I get it), so is there a better ending in one of the DLCs? I'm looking to spend as little as possible, but I'm not opposed to a purchase or 3 if it makes the game more complete.
Well I haven't played all of the DLCs, but IMO Broken Memories and Lair of the Shadow Broker are definitely must haves. Broken Memories brings a new character into ME2 and 3 (possibly my favorite of the franchise in fact), and Shadow Broker should have been in the original game as it contains some very important plot points. I didn't care for The Price of Revenge or Overlord, but both play a role in ME3 if you do play them (Overlord is probably more essential, but I don't think it's required reading so to speak). Arrival I didn't play, and I hear it wasn't great, but it does lead directly into ME3 so you will probably want to play it as well (the opening to ME3 was rather odd for me not having played it).

In regards to ME3 I haven't played any of the DLC yet, but apparently Leviathan greatly improves the ending revalations (as in, they don't come completely out of nowhere and actually make sense), and most people seem to think Citadel is a good ending chapter to the series. I haven't heard anything great about Omega. From Ashes includes a new squad member so it's probably worth picking up, but I can't recall hearing anything about it's quality.

So I guess that was just a bunch of spitballing since I haven't played a lot of it, so hopefully someone else can provide another opinion. Definitely get Broken Memories and Shadow Broker though (and Bring Down the Sky, since it's free) :)

None for ME 1.

ME 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker is well-done and highly-recommended. Arrival is also a good segue from ME 2 to ME 3.

ME 3: From Ashes is good but not essential. Really none of the ME 3 DLCs are essential, IMO. Regarding the ending, the Extended Cut adds some stuff that's supposed to clarify points surrounding it (and should be free), but I really don't know much about what it does because I didn't play the game until after it was released.

To expand upon what has already been stated (because I can't NOT talk about ME)... You technically can get by with the base games for the most part and you'll get the story. However, there are many DLC's that add characters, story, background and combat abilities that I personally think should not be passed up. Aside from appearance, weapon and armor DLC (some of which I do like) here is my game breakdown:

Mass Effect:

Bring Down the Sky - Adds a small piece of story that will carry into ME3, gives you some additional leveled loot at the end and I found it enjoyable to play through.

Pinnacle Station - Nothing more than a survival/horde mode type DLC. No story connections. Pass.

Mass Effect 2:

Cerberus Network - It's free, so get it. It includes Zaeed and his missions/dialogue, some weapons, armor, a vehicle and it's associated missions (which I find annoying, but whatever).

Lair of the Shadow Broker - Quite possible one of the best DLC's of all DLC's. It has loads of story carryover, extra weapons, resources, upgrades and it's just plain awesome. Get it.

Kasumi: Stolen Memory - Again another character and her missions/dilogue. Carries into ME3. You get a nice weapon and I enjoyed it, so I'd recommend it.

Overlord - Carries into ME3 slightly. Again, more resources and upgrades. Pretty enjoyable, recommended.

Arrival - Definitely clears up the beginning of ME3's story in my mind. Gameplay isn't bad, but not up to the others here. I still had fun with it and can recommend it to the ME fan.

Mass Effect 3:

Extended Cut - It's free...get it. I personally didn't have an issue with the original ending, but this adds a lot more without really changing the original intent.

From Ashes - Just like ME2's character DLC. Adds weapon, combat abilities and dialogue. I'd get it.

Leviathan - Adds to background of the over-arcing story. Adds weapons and combat abilities. Gameplay is so-so, but I think the story connections make it a worthwhile purchase.

Omega - Adds weapons and combat abilities, but little in the way of story. I'd say ME fans only need apply.

Citadel - Probably the best farewell love letter a DLC could be. The main story is fairly short, but the entire DLC is rather long if you want it to be. You can get some nice armor and fight alongside your friends from the past. If you got everything else, no reason to not get this.

cut for space
I agree with these suggestions. However, I want to add that the character from From Ashes added a ton of interesting background info for the ME universe. I can't believe it was locked up behind DLC. If you get to ME3 and are really digging the universe, you'll want to get it.

I'd also like to say that all DLC should be played during the main campaign except for Lair of the Shadowbroker, which should be played after finishing the ME2 story, and Citadel. Citadel actually takes place before the end of ME3, but I found it to be a good palette cleanser and left me with great memories of all of the characters and a better overall feeling than I had when I finished the game.

The squadmate in From Ashes was such an insufferable jerk that I specifically avoided acquiring him in subsequent ME3 playthroughs.  Yes, he did provide valuable background insight to the lore, but I spent most of my time wanting to Renegade Interrupt Punch him.

To summarize:

MrSandiCheeks recommends anything free, plus Shadow Broker and Kasumi. Maybe Arrival, Leviathan, and Citadel.

Warreni suggests Shadow Broker & Arrival, maybe From Ashes, and Extended Cut should be free.

Neuro works for EA and wants everyone to buy all ME DLC at full price in-game, so Amazon & Gamestop don't take any cut of the profits. 

Indef definitely says no to From Ashes.

The spreadsheet I just set up has this as my initial plan:

1 - Bring Down the Sky

2 - Cerberus Network

2 - Lair of the Shadow Broker

2 - Kasumi: Stolen Memory

2 - Arrival 

3 - Extended Cut

3 - Citadel ??? because of the price

Even if I love the game and the story, I acquired all 3 games at less than the cost of a single DLC, so I'm really only trying to add stuff that's essential to the story (or superb in terms of content). I don't mind being lost at the beginning of an episode if everything connects later... does that happen without Arrival, or does the connection from 2 to 3 go unexplained? Is Citadel like an epilogue to the series?

To summarize:

MrSandiCheeks recommends anything free, plus Shadow Broker and Kasumi. Maybe Arrival, Leviathan, and Citadel.

Even if I love the game and the story, I acquired all 3 games at less than the cost of a single DLC, so I'm really only trying to add stuff that's essential to the story (or superb in terms of content). I don't mind being lost at the beginning of an episode if everything connects later... does that happen without Arrival, or does the connection from 2 to 3 go unexplained? Is Citadel like an epilogue to the series?
:rofl:

In regards to Arrival, no I don't recall it ever explaining what happened in the gap between 2 and 3, but I was able to mostly piece together what happened (if I could do it again though I would have played it). Citadel is something of a final goodbye to your team from my understanding. None of the DLCs aside from the Extended Cut change the actual ending.

To summarize:<snip>
Neuro works for EA and wants everyone to buy all ME DLC at full price in-game, so Amazon & Gamestop don't take any cut of the profits. <snip>

In fairness, I don't think there is any way to acquire the DLCs outside of buying with BioWare Points through Origin or the BioWare website (unless you're playing on a console and then you buy with real money and can wait for sales that occasionally happen). A few of the DLCs are priced at fairly ridiculous levels for something that NEVER (no, I don't count that one time that EA had a BP sale--a one-off might as well be never) goes on sale. Citadel is the RWM equivalent of $14.99 USD.

Arrival basically provides a prelude to the beginning of ME 3. As such, it's interesting but not crucial content.

In fairness, I don't think there is any way to acquire the DLCs outside of buying with BioWare Points through Origin or the BioWare website. A few of the DLCs are priced at fairly ridiculous levels for something that NEVER goes on sale.
It's true that they never have sales. I've been keeping an eye out since the IG ME2 bundle hit online shelves. But these are the two retailers I've been watching:

Amazon

Gamestop

:rofl:

In regards to Arrival, no I don't recall it ever explaining what happened in the gap between 2 and 3, but I was able to mostly piece together what happened (if I could do it again though I would have played it). Citadel is something of a final goodbye to your team from my understanding. None of the DLCs aside from the Extended Cut change the actual ending.
Well it does, because the events are pretty much why Shepard has been out of action at the start of ME3 and his "I told you so" mentality to a full on Reaper invasion.

Recommend:

Lair of the Shadow Broker

From Ashes (banter provides plenty of additional story driven insight)

Leviathan

Citadel

Another day of no HB updates. Only 2 left!

After the HB is over I'll probably grab one of those ME collections that are going on sale lately. Though I'd really like to know if there's a deluxe version with all the DLC coming sometime reasonably soon, I doubt there's going to be an announcement ahead of time. 

Unless they throw up some more bonuses tomorrow, I'm leaning towards the theory of a second bundle... which only means MOAR GAMES, so I'm okay with that.

Another day of no HB updates. Only 2 left!

After the HB is over I'll probably grab one of those ME collections that are going on sale lately. Though I'd really like to know if there's a deluxe version with all the DLC coming sometime reasonably soon, I doubt there's going to be an announcement ahead of time.
That's not likely--they would have already released an ME 2 Super Complete Version if that were the case. I'm sure that EA is probably content to continue milking the DLC for whatever they can sucker people into paying for it.

To expand upon what has already been stated (because I can't NOT talk about ME)... You technically can get by with the base games for the most part and you'll get the story. However, there are many DLC's that add characters, story, background and combat abilities that I personally think should not be passed up. Aside from appearance, weapon and armor DLC (some of which I do like) here is my game breakdown:

Mass Effect:

Bring Down the Sky - Adds a small piece of story that will carry into ME3, gives you some additional leveled loot at the end and I found it enjoyable to play through.

Pinnacle Station - Nothing more than a survival/horde mode type DLC. No story connections. Pass.

Mass Effect 2:

Cerberus Network - It's free, so get it. It includes Zaeed and his missions/dialogue, some weapons, armor, a vehicle and it's associated missions (which I find annoying, but whatever).

Lair of the Shadow Broker - Quite possible one of the best DLC's of all DLC's. It has loads of story carryover, extra weapons, resources, upgrades and it's just plain awesome. Get it.

Kasumi: Stolen Memory - Again another character and her missions/dilogue. Carries into ME3. You get a nice weapon and I enjoyed it, so I'd recommend it.

Overlord - Carries into ME3 slightly. Again, more resources and upgrades. Pretty enjoyable, recommended.

Arrival - Definitely clears up the beginning of ME3's story in my mind. Gameplay isn't bad, but not up to the others here. I still had fun with it and can recommend it to the ME fan.

Mass Effect 3:

Extended Cut - It's free...get it. I personally didn't have an issue with the original ending, but this adds a lot more without really changing the original intent.

From Ashes - Just like ME2's character DLC. Adds weapon, combat abilities and dialogue. I'd get it.

Leviathan - Adds to background of the over-arcing story. Adds weapons and combat abilities. Gameplay is so-so, but I think the story connections make it a worthwhile purchase.

Omega - Adds weapons and combat abilities, but little in the way of story. I'd say ME fans only need apply.

Citadel - Probably the best farewell love letter a DLC could be. The main story is fairly short, but the entire DLC is rather long if you want it to be. You can get some nice armor and fight alongside your friends from the past. If you got everything else, no reason to not get this.
The Mass Effect Trilogy has all this DLC included for free, right?

Last edited:
The Mass Effect Trilogy has all this DLC included for free, right?
No.

Well, technically, you do get the registration DLC for free...Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station, Cerberus Network, Extended Cut, and ME3 Multiplayer DLCs. Everything else must be purchased with Bioware Points

I'll break down to must get (as in must get if you ARE going to buy DLC), should get (if you enjoy the ME world), and easily passable (only if you really enjoy the ME world).

Must get:
Cerberus Network: its free and has some fanfare to it (crash site) and also has Zaeed (I didn't use him much) and an awesome weapon

Stolen Memories- introduces one of the best characters into the game. The quest is short but different then every other mission in the game. If not interested in the character/continuation of character into ME3 then this can be passed on as its very little story wise. But IW oils suggest to get her as she is a fun squad mate.

Shadow Broker- one of the best, if not the best, DLCs. Its long, good gameplay and a wealth of story driven background info. Also plays into main story for ME3

Should get:
Arrival- its in between a must get and a should get. It does explain some of what will be the intro of ME3 and does tie into the story. But most will be explained in ME3 so its story driven but if you play 3 then 3 will explain this DLCs overall premise. Overall gameplay is pretty good. So not a must but a pretty good one if you want some more ME2.

Leviathan- its a mix of must and should. Massively story driven that helps explain 3 a lot, but gameplay is very mediocre with lots of back tracking.

From Ashes- this is a split between should get and easily passable. It adds a bevy of back story on a major race, but the playable character is easily forgettable/annoying. Especially for all the build up of this amazing race, the playable character was such a let down.

Easily Passable:
Pinnacle Station- adds simulated fights and an apartment. Nothing really story relevant.

Bring Down the Sky- Not too much to this one. It is used in the algorithm for endings and a few snippets in future MEs. Its in between easily pass and should get. If you get an Xbox platinum hits ME this is included on disc.

Overlord- Its very little story wise (small continuation in ME3). Basically survival horror like another said. Not much, if any, tie to main story. Gameplay is mediocre also.

Citadel and Omega I have only read about. Citadel is almost purely fan fare. Its a great way to end ME from what I've heard, most likely a must get rating once I play it. Omega seems to be the weak link in ME3 DLC. Good but not worth full price. Most likely a should get from what I've heard.

Unless they throw up some more bonuses tomorrow, I'm leaning towards the theory of a second bundle... which only means MOAR GAMES, so I'm okay with that.
I am wondering if they just plan on extending the sale another week. It's also possible that they are holding out for two million bundles sold so they can try and make the news cycle again. I just can't imagine they aren't going to give those bonuses when they already gave us C&C...

I finished Dead Space 3 last night - and it was pretty damn good, even despite being less horrific and way more action-esque than the previous Dead Spaces.

Anyways, has anyone played Awakened DLC?

If so - how is it? Is it decent? Any good?

How long/short is it? 

If you want an easy out for the hardest difficulty in ME3 then get From Ashes solely for the Particle Rifle.  Once you get it equip everyone in your party (recommend Vega/Ashley & Garrus) with one.  Anything and everything will go down in seconds.

I don't get the hate for From Ashes. Granted, I got it with my new Xbox 360 copy but it fits in so well story-wise that I was surprised to learn it was an add-on. The particle weapon was my permanent gun because as long as you never held the trigger until you ran out of ammo, requiring reload, it was powerful and endless. I just equipped that and a pistol (in case I screw up and need another gun ASAFP) because the lighter weight load meant my biotic powers recharged faster.

The only DLC I bought was Lair of the Shadow Broker, which was very good AND it allowed me to break up my ME2 relationship and hook back up with Liara until I found someone to shag in ME3.

I generally avoided DLCs because after completing the game's story, it seems weird to go and play stories that occur earlier in time.

Now if only I could download anything. Stupid "HTTP Bad Request...Error: 7049:400" crap continues.

==============

EDIT: I was able to (I think) fix the issue by doing the opposite of the instructions here, turning OFF the beta client update:

To help you fix the Origin Error 7049:408 we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Please open the Origin client.
2. Then select "Application Settings" from the menu bar on top.
3. Then scroll down on the "General Tab".
4. Under "Origin Beta Participation".
5. UNCHECK the box for "Update to the beta version if available".
6. Close down the Origin client.
7. Reopen the Origin client and the latest Beta Client will be downloaded.

You know after all this discussion It reminds me HOW PISSED OFF. I am that the ME Trilogy didn't include all the DLC. Are they fucking retarded or something over there at EA?

Well, this happened:

0fum.jpg

Let's see if we get any presents for this milestone. $9,839,340.68 off of 2,000,077 sold. At the current BTA of $4.92, they need to sell 32,655 more copies to hit $10 million raised.

I don't get the hate for From Ashes. Granted, I got it with my new Xbox 360 copy but it fits in so well story-wise that I was surprised to learn it was an add-on. The particle weapon was my permanent gun because as long as you never held the trigger until you ran out of ammo, requiring reload, it was powerful and endless. I just equipped that and a pistol (in case I screw up and need another gun ASAFP) because the lighter weight load meant my biotic powers recharged faster.
If I'm reading the other posts regarding this correctly, people thought Jarvik was a dick and didn't really like having him around. That seems to be the heart of the matter.

They've passed $10 million. All that's left is to see if they sweeten the pot in a few minutes or not.

UPDATE: It's 2 pm and nothing's changed.

bread's done
Back