Humble Origin Bundle - Steam keys - 8/22: C&C Red Alert 3 Uprising and Populous added

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
$1+
  • Dead Space
  • Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box
  • Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Dead Space 3 - Origin only
  • Medal of Honor

Beat the Average
  • Battlefield 3 - Origin only
  • The Sims 3 + Starter Pack - Origin Only
  • C&C: Red Alert 3 - Uprising*
  • Populous* - Origin Only
*Included for all purchases, regardless of price, made before 11 AM PST on 8/22.

Steam keys are provided unless otherwise noted. All games are on Origin. Keys are individual for each game on both platforms.

The money in this bundle goes to charity, not Origin/EA.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
They're both spunkgargleweewee games in the Madden Warfare model of extremely linear, lead-the-player-by-his-nose-ring-from-set piece-to-set piece gameplay. I found them both pretty boring and haven't even finished MoH because whenever I fire it up, I'm usually shutting it down 10-15 minutes later. BF3 looks great, but it's trying too hard to echo COD's Baysplosions style. It looks super-pretty (provided you have a brawny rig), but it's still linear. BF4 is supposed to be more open in how you can attack situations, but the fun is in the MP; I don't think BF3 needed a scripted campaign, but they felt they needed it to compete with COD.

I think that they should add Battlefield Premium as a bump more than some of the other titles being mentioned because the base game shipped with only 9 maps and several of those never seem to be played. The additional 20 maps Premium brought added a lot. Then again, that may be EA's goal - "give away" the base game and make some cash selling the rest of the fun.
I liked MoH (Reboot). It's short and by the time it ended, it felt about right for me.

It'd be nice if MoH: Warfighter gets tossed as a bonus into the Origin HB. ;)

I have no problem w/ the whole "linear-as-can-be" military FPS design. I just wish there weren't so many of them flooding the damn market, that's all!

Same goes for my opinion on MP - while I do like the COD4:MW style of "level-progression" and unlock better equipment as you go along RPG-type of element - I wish every damn FPS wasn't doing this for the MP. I wish we had more variety and actually would have more MP that was based on how good of a player you are - you know, like the old Quake 2 + 3 & UT series games.

Playing Derp Space 1 for the first time now my best advice to anyone doing the same would be to max the damage on the Plasma Cutter asap.  Absolutely trivializes the first half dozen chapters.  I used save/load to play around with upgrades on the other stuff but decided most of it was inferior to the cutter although apparently the Contact Gun can be useful later on.

Playing Derp Space 1 for the first time now my best advice to anyone doing the same would be to max the damage on the Plasma Cutter asap. Absolutely trivializes the first half dozen chapters. I used save/load to play around with upgrades on the other stuff but decided most of it was inferior to the cutter although apparently the Contact Gun can be useful later on.
So the advice here is to exploit the strongest weapon and "trivialize" the game.

This may be why Mooby hates everything.

I already have a (physical DVD) of Sims 3, so I was able to install that awhile back. I did notice in the EULA (and I usually never scroll through those) that SecuROM will be installed for the digital download version of Sims 3 (via Origin).

http://eacom.s3.amazonaws.com/EULA_THE+SIMS+3-Digi+Download-3.22.09.pdf

So I didn't install that and used my DVD instead ;)

Since I picked up this bundle and have the Sims 3 Starter Pack (Sims 3, Late Night Expansion, High End Loft Stuff): 

I'm trying to figure out if the Late Night Expansion Pack and High End Loft Stuff are just content packs or do they involve any setup/install that might include SecuROM? Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks in advance.

Update: When clicking on the EULA links for both expansions over at EA's site, it just takes me to the Sims 3 Retail EULA, which makes no mention of SecuROM. But still not sure...

http://eacom.s3.amazonaws.com/EULA_THE+SIMS+3-Retail.3.22.09.pdf

I already have a (physical DVD) of Sims 3, so I was able to install that awhile back. I did notice in the EULA (and I usually never scroll through those) that SecuROM will be installed for the digital download version of Sims 3 (via Origin).

http://eacom.s3.amazonaws.com/EULA_THE+SIMS+3-Digi+Download-3.22.09.pdf

So I didn't install that and used my DVD instead ;)

Since I picked up this bundle and have the Sims 3 Starter Pack (Sims 3, Late Night Expansion, High End Loft Stuff):

I'm trying to figure out if the Late Night Expansion Pack and High End Loft Stuff are just content packs or do they involve any setup/install that might include SecuROM? Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks in advance.
You can usually deauthorize your machine easily through the launcher. Late Night is a full expansion pack that you have to install and whatnot though, as with all Sims EPs. Haven't installed Loft Stuff yet, so I couldn't tell you.

You can usually deauthorize your machine easily through the launcher. Late Night is a full expansion pack that you have to install and whatnot though, as with all Sims EPs. Haven't installed Loft Stuff yet, so I couldn't tell you.
Thanks for looking out! Yeah, I am fine with my Retail install of Sims 3 (it can be launched through Origin still). I plan to redeem the keys for the expansion packs only. On that note, I've got a Sims 3 Origin key if there are actually people who don't care about SecuROM on their system (god forbid).

alright, so the save/load times on the sims are phenomenal. my computer isn't the latest and greatest but i'd think an i5 760 and a GTX470 would be sufficient? i tried googling and i didn't find any unanimous how to fix..

so.. how to fix?

alright, so the save/load times on the sims are phenomenal. my computer isn't the latest and greatest but i'd think an i5 760 and a GTX470 would be sufficient? i tried googling and i didn't find any unanimous how to fix..

so.. how to fix?
Load times on the Sims 2/3 is always very very high, and as you add more content, it will take longer and longer. Save times? Never seemed all that long for me, and I've run the games on a crappy old laptop.

Your CPU and GPU aren't really gonna do anything for your load times. If you installed the game on a SSD? Then you'd see an increase. Otherwise, you'll just have to get used to the wait.

My humble Bundle page now says Click here for your thesims3.com key.

I'm not gonna try until my copy of The Sims 3 is actually done downloading and installed but if anyone else wants to try they might be able to get their Date Night DLC now.

Okay the Date Night stuff for Sims 3 is fixed.

I just downloaded and installed it.

Load times on the Sims 2/3 is always very very high, and as you add more content, it will take longer and longer. Save times? Never seemed all that long for me, and I've run the games on a crappy old laptop.

Your CPU and GPU aren't really gonna do anything for your load times. If you installed the game on a SSD? Then you'd see an increase. Otherwise, you'll just have to get used to the wait.
hmm, that's pretty shit. i think this game has longer load times than anything else i can think of..

hmm, that's pretty shit. i think this game has longer load times than anything else i can think of..
Yeah, but on the flipside there's almost no loading once you've loaded up your neighborhood in the Sims 3, since the entire neighborhood is open to your active family. They can move anywhere they want in the neighborhood, and you can switch between family members and locations at will, never requiring more loading times (except for certain instances, I think).

Did anyone try the old single key for The Sims 3? I tried it on the website but it's english US only, not sure if that's correct, I don't want to waste a key

anyone got a spare BTA DeepSilver bundle they may not want to keep?

Need to get one for a friend

and this Origins bundle is insane (but at the same time, it proves that Origin is not ready as a client.. or at least still has alot to work on)

Yeah, but on the flipside there's almost no loading once you've loaded up your neighborhood in the Sims 3, since the entire neighborhood is open to your active family. They can move anywhere they want in the neighborhood, and you can switch between family members and locations at will, never requiring more loading times (except for certain instances, I think).
Load times for Sims have always been longer than most games but it's a different kind of game than most games. There are way, WAY more objects that all can be interacted with than pretty much any other game has.

For me if I just load the base and no expansions, stuff packs or custom content it actually loads pretty quick, but of course this is Sims so you want to keep adding more stuff and more stuff to load equals longer load times, but once you're loaded that's it.

The Sims 2 load times were way worse for me and I had a ton of custom content too. I remember I'd start the game up at least a half hour ahead of when I wanted to play it. Then with Sims 2 you had to load again if you went to another lot. Sims 3 you get the whole neighborhood. You only get a loading screen if you go on vacation to a whole other area.

Grabbed a bundle and redeemed everything ;) didn't have any of these. Happy gaming!
Really?!?!? Not even one?!?!?

You REALLY made out on this deal.

Did you buy stock bundle (at $1 or so) or did you Beat The Average (BTA) to also get BF3 + Sims 3 Bundle?

Wow - I had most of them; and I was damn happy buying the stock HB just to get Dead Space 3.

Did anyone try the old single key for The Sims 3? I tried it on the website but it's english US only, not sure if that's correct, I don't want to waste a key
Hmmm...Is Sims 3 Bundle a single-key? Or multiple?

I'm missing from that bundle namely Date Night DLC + High-End Loft.

Hmmm...Is Sims 3 Bundle a single-key? Or multiple?

I'm missing from that bundle namely Date Night DLC + High-End Loft.
They're all individual keys, 4 in total. I don't know if I would recommend BTA just for a handful of items and clothes.

They're all individual keys, 4 in total. I don't know if I would recommend BTA just for a handful of items and clothes.
TY for the info - much appreciated! :D

I'm not gonna BTA just for items & clothes.

EA would have to put some amazing other bonuses into BTA Tier for me to jump.

Crysis 3, NFS: Most Wanted, or anything else AAA that I'm missing (which probably ain't much) from EA would be enuff to make me leap. :D

Really?!?!? Not even one?!?!?

You REALLY made out on this deal.

Did you buy stock bundle (at $1 or so) or did you Beat The Average (BTA) to also get BF3 + Sims 3 Bundle?

Wow - I had most of them; and I was damn happy buying the stock HB just to get Dead Space 3.
lol mysterd i had only dead space and crysis 2 me but backloggging and plus ds3 for 1buck is damn cheap i dont have to give to ea so it win win for me

TY for the info - much appreciated! :D

I'm not gonna BTA just for items & clothes.

EA would have to put some amazing other bonuses into BTA Tier for me to jump.

Crysis 3, NFS: Most Wanted, or anything else AAA that I'm missing (which probably ain't much) from EA would be enuff to make me leap. :D
crysis 3 would be bta but no that not worth the bta

For anyone that's confused, if you buy in now for only the $1 tier, you get the bonuses NO MATTER WHAT. You don't have to BTA.
Simply, if you buy in at any price more than $1 before the bonuses are released, you get them when they are.

You only need to BTA to get the bonuses if you haven't bought in by the time they are revealed. Humble bundles have worked this way since their inception.

Don't know if anyone already answered this or not, but didnt someone say when you redeem the steam keys you get an additional Origin key? If this is true, where do you get the key from? I redeemed all of the steam keys.
Not sure if this was already answered but I am going to do so anyways.

When you are on your "Humble site", i.e. where you can see your keys or are able to redeem them, on the top of the page there are actually two tabs, one for Origin and one for Steam. Both have the appropriate list of keys available to you and both are independent of each other. So you can both activate a game on Steam and Origin with the keys listed. You essentially have two copies of the same game.

Not sure if this was already answered but I am going to do so anyways.

When you are on your "Humble site", i.e. where you can see your keys or are able to redeem them, on the top of the page there are actually two tabs, one for Origin and one for Steam. Both have the appropriate list of keys available to you and both are independent of each other. So you can both activate a game on Steam and Origin with the keys listed. You essentially have two copies of the same game.
I think he was referring to the fact that on Steam if you click "CD Keys" under detailed view you can enter it into origin and wind up not with a bonus origin copy. This doesn't seem to work for all games, as some people ran into trouble getting Mirror's Edge to redeem, but for some of the others it's definitely possible :)

Just so we're clear, Steam keys do give you different unique Origin codes than come with the actual humble bundle. Yes that does happen. The method to obtaining them is varied for each game.

Dead Space 1: In order to get the Dead Space 1 origin code from Steam you have to install the game then start the game maybe even start a new game then save and exit and go here:
*Instructions taken from Steam forums
If anyone wants to activate theirs DS1 on EADM, for whatever reason, cd key (not shown in steam games list) can be found (when game is installed) in registry (run>regedit>enter), on one of these two locations:

- computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Dead Space\ergc

or

- computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\E lectronic Arts\EA Games\Dead Space\ergc

There should be (Default) with the value of CD-Key. You can activate it trough 'redeem game' option from EADM menu, or this page: https://activate.ea.com/activategame.do

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box: After you hit install game you can then right click the steam entry and click "View CD Key" and there you should have your new unique Origin key.

Crysis 2: Maximum Edition: After you hit install game you can then right click the steam entry and click "View CD Key" and there you should have your new unique Origin key.

Mirror's Edge: Unfortunately as far as I know there is no known method of viewing you unique cd key for this game. (It took me around 30 tries of badgering different EA customer service reps to get them to add it to my Origin account.)

Metal of Honor: After you hit install game you can then right click the steam entry and click "View CD Key" and there you should have your new unique Origin key.

Is anyone else concerned about the DRM on some of these games? I don't know what to make of it. I'm guessing Dead Space is ok because it's inert SecuROM?

Crysis 2 has Steam's Stub form of DRM? Medal of Honor should definitely be avoided due to SecuROM? I heard SecuROM is very bad.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam

Dead Space: Inert SecuROM

Some games on Steam contain completely inert remnants of a prior DRM system which was removed (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky or Dead Space for instance) or DRM files which are not used unless you attach a DRM expansion pack or DLC to the game (Borderlands, for instance). The DRM files do nothing, install nothing and are completely inert unless otherwise noted.

Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box: EA Account.

Crysis 2 - Maximum Edition Link

SolidShield on original Crysis 2 release and on Origin.

The Steam version of the game contains Steam's "stub" form of DRM. It is not DRM-free. Source

Online play requires a MyCrysis account.

Mirror's Edge: EA Account. 

Dead Space 3: Don't know.

Medal of Honor: SecuROM Single-player portion only, 5 machine limit, 1 activation added every 60 days.

Is anyone else concerned about the DRM on some of these games? I don't know what to make of it. I'm guessing Dead Space is ok because it's inert SecuROM?

Crysis 2 has Steam's Stub form of DRM? Medal of Honor should definitely be avoided due to SecuROM? I heard SecuROM is very bad.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam

Dead Space: Inert SecuROM

Some games on Steam contain completely inert remnants of a prior DRM system which was removed (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky or Dead Space for instance) or DRM files which are not used unless you attach a DRM expansion pack or DLC to the game (Borderlands, for instance). The DRM files do nothing, install nothing and are completely inert unless otherwise noted.

Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box: EA Account.

Crysis 2 - Maximum Edition Link

SolidShield on original Crysis 2 release and on Origin.

The Steam version of the game contains Steam's "stub" form of DRM. It is not DRM-free. Source

Online play requires a MyCrysis account.

Mirror's Edge: EA Account.

Dead Space 3: Don't know.

Medal of Honor: SecuROM Single-player portion only, 5 machine limit, 1 activation added every 60 days
for dead space there no sign up or anything to pput in key i play single playere but yea ithink only one u should be concer is medal of honor

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't even care about SecuROM. All instances of it I've come across are easy enough to let you deactivate copies and whatnot. I've never had a problem with any of this stuff...

Medal of Honor: SecuROM Single-player portion only, 5 machine limit, 1 activation added every 60 days.
That Medal of Honor DRM....

1zd2ctc.jpg

I don't mind SecuROM all that much if it's just a CD-key check, unlimited activations, or renewing activations. It's when there's an activation limit that you have to manually revoke (or one that you can't revoke at all) that I get pissed off.

for dead space there no sign up or anything to pput in key i play single playere but yea ithink only one u should be concer is medal of honor
Oh, man - the MOH (Reboot) Steam-version needs that Securom DRM to be at least gone inert or (better yet) removed entirely.

No need for that crap on a Steam-version.

EDIT:

I don't mind SecuROM all that much if it's just a CD-key check, unlimited activations, or renewing activations. It's when there's an activation limit that you have to manually revoke (or one that you can't revoke at all) that I get pissed off.
But honestly - when games get old; can be bought cheap often places (i.e. 75% off or better); the game has no more official DLC; no more official patches; and especially when likely pirates aren't trying to steal this stuff anymore...

...do legit users need to deal w/ that 3rd party online-activation and especially limited-install # and maybe revoking crap?

To answer my own question - I'd say, "NO!"

Still surprised the average for this is so low... I guess because it's EA/Origin people are still trying to stick it to'em.  I paid over twice the average and even that felt a little low for a bundle like this one.

Curious what possible bonuses could be though... My guess is another Sim 3 expansion and since DS3 and is newer I want to say something else a little newer but not sure what they'd include since the trend is obviously EA games.  Better guess than something new might be Alice Madness Returns or KoA: Reckoning...maybe even a Dragon Age game or two.

Of course if EA REALLY wants to get on people's good graces they'd put the new Sim City in as a bonus, lol but that won't happen.  I held steady and never bought it due to the DRM/online requirements and looking now at the ridiculous (and ridiculously expensive) DLC they have for it I'm even more reluctant to ever buy it unless it's super cheap. 

Is anyone else concerned about the DRM on some of these games?
No. Know why? Because I paid a buck ten. If all my games get SecuRom'd to death tomorrow, I'm out a buck ten.

I bought before I knew it was 100% charity; I'll probably bump it when the additional games get released.

Of course if EA REALLY wants to get on people's good graces they'd put the new Sim City in as a bonus
There's people now still saying "Oh, EA is going to get a tax break so who cares if they're doing charity? EA SUCKS!!!". There's no value in giving away any major properties to get into anyone "good graces" if they're not already there.

Oh, man - the MOH (Reboot) Steam-version needs that Securom DRM to be at least gone inert or (better yet) removed entirely.

No need for that crap on a Steam-version.

EDIT:

But honestly - when games get old; can be bought cheap often places (i.e. 75% off or better); the game has no more official DLC; no more official patches; and especially when likely pirates aren't trying to steal this stuff anymore...

...do legit users need to deal w/ that 3rd party online-activation and especially limited-install # and maybe revoking crap?

To answer my own question - I'd say, "NO!"
yes it need to be rid of securom crap any crap with activiaotn limitiaiton ofr 3 4 5 should be rejected from every game of every company no matter what

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't even care about SecuROM. All instances of it I've come across are easy enough to let you deactivate copies and whatnot. I've never had a problem with any of this stuff...
It actually screws up Sims Medieval on the last patched version (which is automatically installed with the expansion) to the point where it won't even run on Windows 8 unless you crack the Securom. And EA refuses to fix it. So it can cause problems in some cases.That isn't the first time I've had to resort to cracks for EA games that I paid for either.

It's just generally an archaic form of DRM that needs to be patched out at this point. As future OSes come along I can only see it causing more problems. Plus there really is no need for it. Newer games can be tied to Origin. The older games they apparently are willing to just about give away at this point so why bother with that old disc based DRM?

If you're selling games at 6 for a dollar you really need to protect that with DRM? No, it's just laziness to keep it in there at that point. Take it off.

yes it need to be rid of securom crap any crap with activiaotn limitiaiton ofr 3 4 5 should be rejected from every game of every company no matter what
Wow I actually both understood tebow and agree with him.

Still surprised the average for this is so low... I guess because it's EA/Origin people are still trying to stick it to'em. I paid over twice the average and even that felt a little low for a bundle like this one.
The average will stay low given all of the individuals paying just a single dollar (including many on this very forum) but I completely agree with you, it is quite a selection of games that EA has offered. Regardless of their motives, the money still goes to a good cause and you get some stellar games for cheap - just as you said, even $10 is a steal for all of these games.

It actually screws up Sims Medieval on the last patched version (which is automatically installed with the expansion) to the point where it won't even run on Windows 8 unless you crack the Securom. And EA refuses to fix it. So it can cause problems in some cases.That isn't the first time I've had to resort to cracks for EA games that I paid for either.

It's just generally an archaic form of DRM that needs to be patched out at this point. As future OSes come along I can only see it causing more problems. Plus there really is no need for it. Newer games can be tied to Origin. The older games they apparently are willing to just about give away at this point so why bother with that old disc based DRM?

If you're selling games at 6 for a dollar you really need to protect that with DRM? No, it's just laziness to keep it in there at that point. Take it off.
Exactly!

Some of these DRM's often are OS-specific (i.e. just see what StarForce caused for problems b/c its drivers were OS-specific - especially w/ Vista and newer game). So, companies need to later remove this unnecessary garbage, when the game's really old and can be had dirt-cheap.

Otherwise - yeah, gamers will take matters in their own hands.

I can see game-client programs w/ its built-in account-based DRM like games flat-out only requiring a service like Steam or Origin not being a problem, at least for now - b/c those are always updated and of course as long as EA and Valve stay in business.

Wow I actually both understood tebow and agree with him.
Wow - a before X-Mas miracle. :D

Can anyone recall an instance where a leak of bonus games has proven to be incorrect?

Can anyone recall an instance where a leak of bonus games has proven to be incorrect?
Wait, is there a leak for this bundle's supposed bonuses?

Anyway I think it's a bit different in this case since the bonus could possibly be Origin only and usually the Steam registry entries are the sources for those leaks.

Wait, is there a leak for this bundle's supposed bonuses?

Anyway I think it's a bit different in this case since the bonus could possibly be Origin only and usually the Steam registry entries are the sources for those leaks.
Yeah, there was a leak a few days ago. It came from the steam registry, so these might not be the only games that may appear. As you alluded to, there is the possibility of an Origin only game or two showing up as well.

Anyway, it was first posted about on SPUF. Spoder posted it here, but I'm not sure if you still have him on ignore. If you do, you should be able to see it here.

The bonuses during the 2nd week will be:

Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising

Bulletstorm

Dead Space 2

Medal of Honor Airborne

dHgtwGC.png

EDIT: Don't kill me if the info ends up being wrong, I got it from SPUF ;)

Ah, I see. I missed that post.

Well to my recollection I don't remember any bonus leaks via the registry being wrong, though some of the bundle guesses have been off like the recent guess that X was going to be a Humble Weekly this week, although it could still end up happening next week or later.

Anyhow, I can't really think of any other reason why EA would be messing with the Steam registry on those old games now if not for the bundle. I wouldn't be surprised though if at least one or two Origin only titles get added too.

I wonder if there is even such a thing as a public Origin registry. Probably not. That would probably be an 'I could tell you but I'd have to kill you' sort of thing. ;)

Yeah, there was a leak a few days ago. It came from the steam registry, so these might not be the only games that may appear. As you alluded to, there is the possibility of an Origin only game or two showing up as well.

Anyway, it was first posted about on SPUF. Spoder posted it here, but I'm not sure if you still have him on ignore. If you do, you should be able to see it here.
as long it not 2nd tier stuff that i dont want then i dont mind the crapgin if crysis 3 for crapgin side we need origin db motoki beat me to it lol so we know what they doing lol. i think activation limits are worst the worst drm they not being fair to paying customers give us either account based like steam uplay origin kalypso stardock where u can install uninstall many times and dont have to worry bout limits. we not child we adults. limits are for kids

bread's done
Back