Hundreds of movies being removed from Netflix instant watch

[quote name='intoxicated662']Again, you're in denial and are not respecting other peoples opinions and point of views. Seems like you're the real upset person in the conversation and just need to let it go. I cancelled my subscription and don't miss it. I might get it back in 2-3 months because by then, hopefully they'll have a new and better movie selection for instant watch. Remember, instant watch on netflix is pure quantity over quality. I mainly signed up for netflix for the instant watch and even though you state there are "over 17,000 movies" most of them ain't worth a crap. I still haven't had anyone name me some pretty good movies from those 17,000 so what you are saying is irrelevant. I named a few I liked so why don't you? It's as if you're getting paid by netflix to defend them or you work there or something else. Just let it go...[/QUOTE]

But you're doing the same fucking thing as the bolded by saying there's nothing on there.

Yeah, the selections are limited if you aren't a true movie buff and only want to watch the lastest hollywood films. Fair enough.

But don't say there's nothing good on there. There's plenty of great stuff on there for classics, movies from the 80s and 90s and 2000s (selection is just limited for the most recent 5 years or so of blockbusters), documentaries, indie films, foreign films etc.

A few I've watched recently or have on my list currently (or stuff listed in the categories on Xbox 360 Netflix Application that I've seen before and liked)

Born Into Brothels
Wall-E
Where the Buffalo Room
A Street Care Named Desire
Barry Lyndon
La Vie En Rose
I Like Killing Flies
Lust, Caution
Dexter Seasons 1 & 2
Heroes Seasons (watch the current one on there vs. DVRing and fast forwarding)
The Basketball Diaries
Vertigo
The English Patient
The Cider House Rules
Carlito's Way
Oldboy
Californication Season 1
The Iron Giant
Monster's Inc
The Goonies
Black Hawk Down
The Salton Sea
Men in Black
Sling Blade
Super Size Me
March of the Penguins
A Few Good Men
Sin Nombre
Cool Hand Luke
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Blade Runner

And that's at a quick glance and not very inclusive of my 110 movies in my instant queue currently, nor all the suggestions in the genre categories etc.

I don't think people should be bashing people who don't like Netflix or find it useful.

But it's just ignorant to say that there's no good movies on there. They have 17,000 selections. There are a ton of movies and a ton of great movies, tv shows and documentaries.

There's pretty much something for anyone who's into more than just the latest hollywood blockbusters. If that's all one watches, then you're not a movie buff and don't need any kind of rental subscription as Red Box and/or local stores will fill all your needs.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Just something wrong with being ignorant and saying there's not good movies on there, vs. just saying you don't see enough movies that interest you on there.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I'm thinking of canceling my subscription as well and just go the Redbox route(since I can rarely get a new release and can't find older movies I have not seen).[/QUOTE]

You're going to find the same exact problems with Redbox.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']You're going to find the same exact problems with Redbox.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I've recently started renting a lot of stuff at Redbox, thanks to all the codes that are out there. It's a nice, little extra to have around if you have an urge to just pick up a movie on a Saturday night or something. But honestly, there isn't much there, and I have often have to hunt down the latest movie. Maybe it's because I'm in a highly populated area, but I know I simply can't just pick any location and find the movie I want. And obviously, due to the limited selection, you aren't going to find many older movies. I'll continue to pick movies up with the free codes, but I doubt I will ever give up on Netflix. It's definitely worth the $12 a month.

See I wasnt going to do that Dmual. I wasnt going to spoon feed this guy because he seems to be just typical American Lazy. Complains about a service that he doesnt even take the time use to even 1/4 its potential.

Like I said before, its ok not to like Netflix but this guy is trying his hardest to hate it with some of the worst reasons. He needs a TV ADs telling him what movies he should watch. Which is fine.....but that is no fault of netflix.

[quote name='scifigeek']that's not netflix....it's most likely your post office being slow!![/QUOTE]

Not true. Netflix admitted to "throttling" or "smoothing" in 2005 after a class action lawsuit. Netflix treats their customers differently. If you rent too much it basicially alerts the system. Lets say Netflix Mails you a movie on Monday, you receive it Tuesday, return it on Wednesday, Netflix receives it back on Friday while mailing your next movie which you Receive on Saturday. A History of doing that too much slows down the process a couple of days.

The new process is that you have an open slot on Monday, Netflix mails it to you on Tuesday and you receive it Wednesday, you mail it back on Thursday but Netflix on purpose doesn't show them receiving it til Saturday if not Monday. I believe it cost Netflix a dollar for shipping for each dvd sent out. If you are paying 18 bucks a month for 3 out at a time you can get up to 6 rentals a week or 24 for the month doing the above process.

In the past, I had one month of 24 rentals and the next month I was throttled. I ended my membership and rejoined a month later. From what I have seen it is an off and on cycle. The members that Netflix loves the most are the ones who keep dvd's for weeks at a time. They are given top priority when it comes to moves in high demand and new releases. Throttled members are the ones who have to wait forever.

[quote name='GamerLina']yea it pretty common cause it utilizes a lot of space and its costly to run servers and give a good services[/QUOTE]

It's not because of that. It's because the studios on give them the rights to offer movies for a certain amount of time on the streaming.

It's a licensing issue, not a server issue.

[quote name='wildcpac'] The members that Netflix loves the most are the ones who keep dvd's for weeks at a time. They are given top priority when it comes to moves in high demand and new releases. Throttled members are the ones who have to wait forever.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's true regarding priority for new releases.

I still have problems sometimes getting new releases on blu the first couple of weeks, but get very quick turn around on everything else I used to have no issues, but I've gotten busier and now often keep a movie for a week or more before watching it.

So I think they may throttle slow folks with titles in high demand as it slows service for new releases if someone keeps it for a week or two. But that's just conjecture based on my experience. Not sure if other slow watchers have had the same experience.

It doesn't bother me as I don't care about seeing new releases around release date. If it was something I was dying to see I'd have saw it in the theater. With always having 100+ movies in my disc queue and 75+ in my Instant queue, I've got more than I'll ever find time to watch. Not to mention the 300+ movies I own and seldom re-watch.

It could be based on many things.

How often do people cancel their memberships, what percentage of that is people who are throttled.

How long do people keep their membership to finally get something they want. I have friends who aren't throttled and they usually get a hit upon release and return it quickly. It's the bs that they keep for a week or two. Plus I wouldn't be suprised if Netflix send out a hit movie towards the end of the month membership to someone who is throttled just to keep them locked in for another month.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
But don't say there's nothing good on there. There's plenty of great stuff on there for classics, movies from the 80s and 90s and 2000s (selection is just limited for the most recent 5 years or so of blockbusters), documentaries, indie films, foreign films etc.

A few I've watched recently or have on my list currently (or stuff listed in the categories on Xbox 360 Netflix Application that I've seen before and liked)
(SNIPPED a bunch of movies)
The English Patient
(SNIP again)
There's pretty much something for anyone who's into more than just the latest hollywood blockbusters. If that's all one watches, then you're not a movie buff and don't need any kind of rental subscription as Red Box and/or local stores will fill all your needs.[/QUOTE]

Funny, out of that list, only the Disney movies appealed to me. And you *liked* The English Patient? Wow! That remains the only movie I ever saw at the show and fell asleep on....while I was on a first date no less!

And I dont know what you feel makes up a "movie buff" but for someone like me who goes to the theater once or twice a year, there still end up being plenty of "hollywood blockbusters" that I'd want to see. It would be absolutely grand if the Netflix service allowed me to do so via the instant watch, but they dont (I'm not arguing the "whys" just the fact that they dont). Thus, your right, the other options suit me better. But as I said in my first post, I dont begrudge anyone who likes it.

Heck now that I know there are Disney movies on there and they'll be supporting the Wii, I might give them another shot....for the kids.

[quote name='hostyl1']Funny, out of that list, only the Disney movies appealed to me. And you *liked* The English Patient? Wow! That remains the only movie I ever saw at the show and fell asleep on....while I was on a first date no less!

And I dont know what you feel makes up a "movie buff" but for someone like me who goes to the theater once or twice a year, there still end up being plenty of "hollywood blockbusters" that I'd want to see. It would be absolutely grand if the Netflix service allowed me to do so via the instant watch, but they dont (I'm not arguing the "whys" just the fact that they dont). Thus, your right, the other options suit me better. But as I said in my first post, I dont begrudge anyone who likes it.

Heck now that I know there are Disney movies on there and they'll be supporting the Wii, I might give them another shot....for the kids.[/QUOTE]

Again, it seems to be more that you people are spoiled because your complaint is instead of 17,000 free movies you want 55,00 free movies.

Its not a either or...you get access to both for the same price. It would be different if they made you pay extra for the instant watch but it bundled with your regular service. It seems like you are bitching just to bitch.

Maybe the problem is that most of you didnt have Netflix before instant watch. I remember when there was no instant watch and I payed the same price simply to get 3 movies a month. The one day I woke up and I had access to 3,000 movies via my computer and they didnt raise my price. Couple years later its 17,000 AND I can stream it right through my xbox and amazingly I PAY THE SAME PRICE!

Netflix has done nothing but add fantastic services over the years without hiking the price up and its a problem because they didnt add every movie random guy usa wants to see?

Ha, its typically American. You give them thousand bucks and the only thing they can say is why you didnt give them 1500. Buy them a brand new blue car and they will bitch as to why it isnt green. And people wonder why there are so many EA Tiberon who gouge the shit out of customers.

You simply cant please people.

I find tons of good stuff to watch streamed on Netflix. The issue some ppl have is that it doesn't offer a ton of recent big budget hollywood films.

There are plenty of great older films, tv shows, documentaries, etc to watch.

It's not a replacement for the disc deliveries to my mailbox, but it's not suppossed to be.

[quote name='wildcpac']Not true. Netflix admitted to "throttling" or "smoothing" in 2005 after a class action lawsuit. Netflix treats their customers differently. If you rent too much it basicially alerts the system. Lets say Netflix Mails you a movie on Monday, you receive it Tuesday, return it on Wednesday, Netflix receives it back on Friday while mailing your next movie which you Receive on Saturday. A History of doing that too much slows down the process a couple of days.

The new process is that you have an open slot on Monday, Netflix mails it to you on Tuesday and you receive it Wednesday, you mail it back on Thursday but Netflix on purpose doesn't show them receiving it til Saturday if not Monday. I believe it cost Netflix a dollar for shipping for each dvd sent out. If you are paying 18 bucks a month for 3 out at a time you can get up to 6 rentals a week or 24 for the month doing the above process.

In the past, I had one month of 24 rentals and the next month I was throttled. I ended my membership and rejoined a month later. From what I have seen it is an off and on cycle. The members that Netflix loves the most are the ones who keep dvd's for weeks at a time. They are given top priority when it comes to moves in high demand and new releases. Throttled members are the ones who have to wait forever.[/QUOTE]

I have the 3 out plan and I get around 15 - 20 DVD's per month. And I've never expierenced any throttling. Netflix did lose that suit and now aren't supposed to throttle. Now maybe they do throttle at the level you order at. But I've never had this problem.

As far as new releases go, yes I do see a wait on them. So I always wait a couple of weeks before placing them in my que. I know that can be annoying for people, but for me, Netflix has so many choices I can live with that.

[quote name='mogamer']I have the 3 out plan and I get around 15 - 20 DVD's per month. And I've never expierenced any throttling. Netflix did lose that suit and now aren't supposed to throttle. Now maybe they do throttle at the level you order at. But I've never had this problem. [/QUOTE]

I've been on both sides, sometimes i'm burning through movies and get 8-10 a month (1 at a time) and something I keep one for a month. Never had shipping take more than 1 business day.

[quote name='hostyl1']
[/quote]

I just say a movie buff is someone who absolutely loves movies--i.e. it's their top hobby. They don't just watch the big hollywood blockbusters, but also lesser hollywood movies, indie films, foreign films documentaries etc.

They're going to the theater a few times a month (or week), not a few times a year. They're watching several movies every week at home, etc. etc.

Again, as for wanting to watch the blockbusters AND the other stuff--that's what the disc rental portion of the account (which is what you are paying for) is for. I watch recent movies on Blu Ray or DVD and stream other stuff when I want to watch something new and I'm in between discs.

Again, I don't care if Netflix isn't for someone--as any mail rental services really is for the movie buff who wants to watch multiple movies a week. Someone that just watches a blockbuster here or there is better off with Redbox or the local stores.

But it seems like many knock the instant watch because it doesn't fit their needs. Which is silly especially when you consider that the streaming is a FREE bonus that comes with the disc rental service.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Maybe the problem is that most of you didnt have Netflix before instant watch. I remember when there was no instant watch and I payed the same price simply to get 3 movies a month. The one day I woke up and I had access to 3,000 movies via my computer and they didnt raise my price. Couple years later its 17,000 AND I can stream it right through my xbox and amazingly I PAY THE SAME PRICE!
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I do bet that's some of it. People who aren't movie buffs and thus never really considered having (or keeping long-term) a mail rental service all of a sudden can access Netflix streaming on their X-box if they get an account.

So they sign up specifically for the streaming service, and are dissappointed as the selection isn't good for the recent releases they mainly want to watch.

They have a different view on it as they signed up for the streaming and view that as what they're paying for.

While those of us who have had Netflix for years, just see it as a free bonus to the disc rental service we'd been paying the same price for in the past. Rates stayed the same, and now we can stream a ton of movies and shows along with watching our disc rentals.

I see plenty of stuff I want to watch on Netflix instant streaming... I just wish my DSL connection were up to the task. I'm looking forward to Netflix streaming on the Wii since it won't be trying to push HD video to us, and so I'm hoping it will give more consistent results. Netflix on the 360 looks great for about 10 minutes, then we get a really obnoxious hiccup where the screen goes mostly black and puts up a message saying it's adjusting for the network, and then it looks like complete crap for a long time and then eventually it hiccups again and goes back to looking good again. I'd rather have consistent SD video, but there's no way to set that on the Xbox as far as I can tell.

Netflix was a service that was intended to be through the mail, with the Xbox and PS3 streaming, that's a bonus... I can't complain about whatever # of movies they contract to get on the stream.

If you don't like it, cancel I guess. The service has been terrific to me.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
So they sign up specifically for the streaming service, and are dissappointed as the selection isn't good for the recent releases they mainly want to watch.

They have a different view on it as they signed up for the streaming and view that as what they're paying for.

While those of us who have had Netflix for years, just see it as a free bonus to the disc rental service we'd been paying the same price for in the past. Rates stayed the same, and now we can stream a ton of movies and shows along with watching our disc rentals.[/QUOTE]

That's about right. In my case, several years ago I compared Netflix and Blockbuster Online and by far, BBO was the better value for me. I could switch out movies in store and they also gave out two coupons a month that could also be used to rent games. Netflix had nothing to counter this added value.

Then they annouced the streaming, something that I thought would be worth it to check out. I took the month to try it out. The disc service turnaround time was equal to BBO, but the streaming didnt, IMO, live up to the other adds that BBO had. So I cancelled.

So yeah, *if* I were to get Netflix, it would be for the streaming. Unfortunately, that just isnt where it needs to be for me to jump in. Or at least it wasnt...I cant tell if it is now because I still cant browse those "17,000 movies" that are available for streaming w/o signing up (sorry the "streamingsoon.com" site only has a small selection of the movies as they move on/off the list).

C'est la guerre. ;)

Yep, I'd agree with that. For someone like you Blockbuster (assuming they still do the in store exchanges) is the way to go if you've got a store near you.

Disc service is pretty much equal in turnaround and cost, and you'll get more out of being able to swap movies in store than the streaming since it doesn't fit your viewing interests.

For me Netflix is the way to go as I have a ton of stuff on the streaming that interests me, and swore of Blockbuster stores years ago after some hassles with returned movies no getting scanned etc. From other threads it also seems Netflix has a better selection of indie, foreign films and documentaries that BB doesn't carry, as well as carrying unrated versions of movies where as BB only carries the R rated version when available.

But that's why there's a couple mail services, different physical stores, red box etc. Different people have different needs.

bread's done
Back