Hurricane Ike is coming!!!/Ike-carumba

[quote name='Strell']I'm still not convinced it's going to hit as hard as people are thinking it will.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what everyone here thought for Fay. That turned out beautifully.

*still sitting in the goddamn muggy dark 3 weeks later*

[quote name='VioletArrows']Yeah, that's what everyone here thought for Fay. That turned out beautifully.

*still sitting in the goddamn muggy dark 3 weeks later*[/QUOTE]

Rita came through a few years ago and everyone threw a fit about it.

Then it barely showed up at all.

Beyond that, I'm basing it on the fact that my location seems to miss every type of inclement weather without fail. There was terrible rain all this year, but it magically avoided here the entire time.

This doesn't mean I'm not preparing. Books and water ahoy.

[quote name='The Crotch']Re the thread title:
52446.jpg
[/quote]

Worst case scenario: Ike manages to grab a Smash Ball and catapults to a Cat 5 Hurricane.

Well, then, looks like I have time to play some Starcraft, once I get to my hotel.

[quote name='Strell']
Beyond that, I'm basing it on the fact that my location seems to miss every type of inclement weather without fail.[/QUOTE]

It's going to make up for it now!!! RUN!!!!

[quote name='tiredfornow']
map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg
[/quote]

It cracks me up that they're projecting this storm to hit Dallas with any kind of impact. Nobody cares. In fact, this is the most I've heard anybody say about Ike:

Friend: It's supposed to rain this weekend.
Me: Yep.

As for you Houstonites (Houstonians? Houstoneers?), I say put on a raincoat and stand outside while it's passing through, describing the strength of the storm out loud to yourself. Doesn't sound like the smartest thing to do, but it always seems to work out for those weather correspondents, and it's hard to argue with results.

I mean, it's either that or take a "vacation" to the Dallas Convention Center with the other evacuees.

[quote name='siderealshift']It cracks me up that they're projecting this storm to hit Dallas with any kind of impact. Nobody cares. In fact, this is the most I've heard anybody say about Ike:

As for you Houstonites (Houstonians? Houstoneers?), I say put on a raincoat and stand outside while it's passing through, describing the strength of the storm out loud to yourself. Doesn't sound like the smartest thing to do, but it always seems to work out for those weather correspondents, and it's hard to argue with results.

I mean, it's either that or take a "vacation" to the Dallas Convention Center with the other evacuees.[/quote]

It's Houstonians. Forget Dallas, head up to Austin. I'll see you on 6th st....hurricanes are on me!

Man it hasn't rain a single drop in Galveston but the whole island and feeder roads (roads along the highway) are just about to get flood and some homes are already damage from the waves.

[quote name='LiveCrazy_Joe']Its going to hit my area and I'm unsure if I should leave or stay. Any thoughts or suggestions. I live in an apartment by the way.[/quote]

I live in texas also and am going to get 40mph winds and a whole crapload of rain. But luckily I am nowhere near the actual hurricane. It is supposed to be almost as strong as Katrina. I've been talking about this alot in science class and when it hits it will become a stage 3. So you might want to leave but its up to you.

I live in the heart of Houston, near downtown. Lights are on (obviously) but the winds are kicking up bigtime. No rain, yet, eerily. A huge chunk of the neighbor's tree has cracked off. Looks like the eye will pass right overhead.

A friend of mine who is living in Virginia called me up for a small chat, and we talked about the hurricane a bit.

He then got on his computer (while we were talking) to look up the storm's current position/category/etc. And he told me that, "Hey man, it looks like there's a nasty band of storms right on you now."

And there's no storms on me right now, and they probably won't show up until 6 AM or so. And I told him this.

And he argued with me about it. "Are you sure? It really looks like there's a storm on you right now."

Amazing.

Of course I guess that's not half as stupid as the water sprinklers running.

Finally finish evacuated. Disappointed that La Quinta Inn TV's sucks, as I end buying a RF modulator just to play my PS3.

Houston people - Stay safe guys.

Well, I woke up this morning, and the storm had taken a turn for the northeast, so pretty much I am gonna get nothing at all here. :/

Hope you Houston CAGs who chose to stay are still safe.

Well, our roof just caved in about 30 mins ago, followed by power coming back on about 10 mins ago. Strange indeed.

Our river crested about a foot below overflowing. A single foot (its about 25 feet deep) saved us from utter disaster.

Everyone okay?

Didn't get much of anything over here. Bunkered in until Saturday afternoon, but didn't have a lot happen. Pretty thankful for that. Did lose power at some point for a few hours, but I slept through it.

Phew.

Ike got me and last I heard about 700,000 others here in northern KY/southern OH. Electric came back on about an hour ago had been out since like 11am.... Wind advisories still out and stuff trashed everywhere. Damn hurricane leftovers screwed up my plan of watchin football in my boxers I had to dress and go to Hooters. :D

Still out of power at home in Dayton, OH. And I just got Rock Band 2 too. Oh, Irony, you terrible bitch goddess of misery!

Our interweb just came back on minutes ago. Had water uninterrupted, power within 18 hours, and net within 96 hours. Been out busting our asses getting food and water to those around us the last few days. A roof ripped off a building in our apartment complex, leaving 8 families totally homeless and 100% of their stuff destroyed.. but no one was hurt.

Hope the rest of ya'll are alright. What a pain in the ass this turned out to be.

[quote name='Cambot']I live in the heart of Houston, near downtown. Lights are on (obviously) but the winds are kicking up bigtime. No rain, yet, eerily. A huge chunk of the neighbor's tree has cracked off. Looks like the eye will pass right overhead.[/QUOTE]
Check in when you get the chance. Downtown looks like it was bombed. Hope you're ok man.

[quote name='Cambot']Still no power in Houston. Day 4. Sending this from work.[/QUOTE]

Me too in my place downtown and my parents. Typing this from iPhone

My parents are still out of power in W Houston!! However, homes a few houses away all have electricity ... what the ?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Three weeks later FEMA finally decides that parts of Orange County FL have been underwater long enough to call it a disaster area. Thanks FEMA, for hanging up on me 20 times, but finally recognizing that I've been sitting in a electricless 100 degree shed with frogs and lizards chasing the mosquitoes and fish swimming around my goddamn ankles for all this time. I'm going to cash out on my asshole landlord's stupidity and use the money to move into an apartment a few miles away this weekend.

All y'all in similar trouble up the midwest corridor... good luck, cause you're gonna need it. :p

bread's done
Back