Hurricane Irene thread--She's gone...

[quote name='ITDEFX']Being a Meteorologist on TV is a joke of a career. Seriously...do you really need a fucking degree to wave you hands , push a few buttons on that power point clicker to tell people about the weather? Come on, the job is fucking easy...all they do is go on the net, look up shit already posted and then play the viewers at home. They don't know what the fuck is going on either...that's why all the news channel reports are different.

The other day NBC4 had their Meteorologist explain to the viewers using the weather map where the fuck that earthquake originated from....WTF?!?!

:bomb::bomb::bomb:[/QUOTE]Most TV meteorologists didn't even study meteorology. They may have studied a related subject and even be "certified", but they probably never studied meteorology.

[quote name='clak']most tv meteorologists didn't even study meteorology. They may have studied a related subject and even be "certified", but they probably never studied meteorology.[/quote]

oh my god...we are all doomed!

Some surfer dude died in a rip current off of va beach. Wtf was he doing out there? Such a waste of a life.

Edit: I'm not too worried about the storm, it can't be worse than Isabella. Worst case scenario= I lose power and have to set up our generator.

[quote name='Haggar']I'm on the Jersey Shore and I'm more worried for my elderly mother & some older friends I have.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/210734.shtml?hwind120?large#contents

Makes it seem like we'll be okay (5-10% chance of hurricane winds) but the local news is really building this up as OMG THE STORM OF THE CENTURY which is freaking out my mother.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm more concerned about storm surges than anything (in Belmar btw) as it seems like it'll be Tropical Storm force winds by the time it gets here.

Im in CT, were suppose to get fucked in the ass tomorow night into sunday morning i guess. lets see what happens.

I have to work this weekend and I may just crash there. I work in a hospital and they usually allow people to sleep in beds (if available) when there is inclement weather. I think the brunt of the storm is going to come sometime in AM on Sunday and I really don't feel like walking through that.

[quote name='jello44']I have to work this weekend and I may just crash there. I work in a hospital and they usually allow people to sleep in beds (if available) when there is inclement weather. I think the brunt of the storm is going to come sometime in AM on Sunday and I really don't feel like walking through that.[/QUOTE]

Where are you?

082611-hurricane-irene-nws-mapjpg-63353e05f5504486.jpg

I hope everyone is safe thats the bottom line.

I work at Wal-Mart and we might actually be closing the Wal-Mart Sunday and thats pretty much unheard of, we are open even if theres 3+ feet worth of snow.

With all this fucking news coverage of it, I better see some action in Northeast PA. More so because my power goes off too fucking frequently so I will need to leave my PC and other electronics besides my TV off, and it will give me something to watch, lol. :lol:

[quote name='ITDEFX']

You want the information without all the hype bullshit..just go directly to http://www.weather.gov/
[/QUOTE]
Did you even see where your link went to? It goes to noaa.gov... exactly where I was talking about getting weather news.

Also, my friend has a degree in meteorology and works for the NWS...dude is extremely bright and passionate about weather. I'm sure he's LOVING this. At our wedding rehearsal he was giddy about a little thunderstorm.

Something I've been debating since yesterday. Wondering if this hurricane is going to drive gas prices up shortly and while I was hoping to wait until Monday to fill up, I wonder if I should get it out of the way now.

[quote name='JStryke']Something I've been debating since yesterday. Wondering if this hurricane is going to drive gas prices up shortly and while I was hoping to wait until Monday to fill up, I wonder if I should get it out of the way now.[/QUOTE]

Although I don't have a link, my friend said she heard they might be closing some refineries to prepare for the storm.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Although I don't have a link, my friend said she heard they might be closing some refineries to prepare for the storm.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that as well. Which makes me think I'm going to regret not getting gas after last night.

I'm a bit north of NYC in Albany. Having worked at a grocery store years ago when the news predicted snow or thunderstorms, I know people around here freak the fuck out at any mention of bad weather and load up their shopping carts. I am expecting nothing out of this beyond a bit of rain and perhaps a slightly stronger breeze, so I'm holding off on shopping until next week. Perhaps a trip to the gas station for a case of beer and bag of Doritos, but that's it.

I believe they are closing the oil refinery's so It's best to fill your car with gas/get the gas you need today if at all possible just incase the worst happens and you can't get gas for a few days. That and the price wasn't extremely high in CT last I checked (well we are second highest, but I paid 3.74 yesterday).

They are actually closing the Wal-Mart I work at at 10pm tonight and It's the first time the store has ever been closed in the 9+ years I worked there (outside of Christmas and Thanksgiving) lol.

Good luck everyone!

We just came back from the grocery store. It wasn't any more crowded than usual, and they had a whole section dedictated to cases of water in the middle of the store. :lol: They also had plenty of bread, TP, and everything else. Weird....

It just started to rain pretty good here about 20 minutes ago. Nothing else really going on yet.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Meanwhile, I lounge and relax in North Dakota, the center of the continent.[/QUOTE]

Lucky you. :arrow:

Starting to get bad in rva. I live in a heavily wooded area so I'm kind of scared. A few big branches fell earlier today and I haven't had power for an hour. It's supposed to get really bad in about an hour, so I hope no trees fall on my house (at least 50 are in falling distance of my house.

Drove to the beach (2 minutes from my house) and we're getting 5 to 7 foot waves on the Potomac. On the way back a tree had fallen across the road. It broke when it hit and there was a 12 foot section. Good thing I've been working on my dead lift, damn thing was probably 500 pounds. I picked up one end and pivoted it on the other end enough to drive by.

Been without power here since early this afternoon. Looks like the eye went by just south of me. Lots of wind and rain but it honestly doesn't seem as bad as some of the previous storms.

A Best Buy in Howell, NJ is trying to charge $23.88 for a 12 pack of Smart Water and $40.56 for a 24 pack of Dasani.

http://microblog.joshsternberg.com/post/9474642982/thegreg-dirtbags-at-best-buy-in-howell-nj

As hurricane Irene bears down on the Jersey Shore, the Best Buy in Howell, NJ has taken it upon themselves sell cases of Dasani water for $40.56. One of the DJs for New Jersey 101.5 just sent this photo to theCHIVE.

At a time when it’s so important for these seaside communities to come together to help each other out (maybe even lower the price on water, eh), it’s disappointing to see a massive corporation like Best Buy not only assume zero social responsibility, but also go the extra mile to make a buck by selling bulk cases of water at the single bottle price during an emergency.

So I put it to you, Chivers. Is this ethical?

UPDATE: I just called Best Buy and spoke to one employee and a manager to confirm the photo. Both refused to answer my questions and told me I had to call corporate offices. My response was, ‘All you have to do is deny that you are doing this. It’s that simple.’
Neither party denied it. Instead I was rudely directed to corporate and then they hung up on me.

UPDATE #2: The manager of the Best Buy has responded and said, “… Sunday August 28th 2011, we will (be) price matching any local supermarket’s price for cases of water if they are needed for one day only as a gesture of good will.”

http://thechive.com/2011/08/27/not-cool-best-buy-1-hq-photo/

Apparently this may not be illegal price gouging because they are allegedly selling it at the single bottle price and not giving a bulk discount.

That Best Buy is full of dickhead employees...and I doubt they will be opening tomorrow to make good on that deal.

[quote name='A_1000_FAT_KIDS_']South Jersey is going to get hit by a TORNADO then Irene later[/QUOTE]

There's no tornadoes. I always laugh when we get tornado watches or warnings because we almost never get one.

[quote name='tcrash247']There's no tornadoes. I always laugh when we get tornado watches or warnings because we almost never get one.[/QUOTE]

There have been at least 3 tornadoes in NJ already.

[quote name='ITDEFX']10:37pm..... light rain and wind still in NOVA.... what a joke of a storm.[/QUOTE]

Villinova?? I'm in west Chester and we are getting slammed right now.

[quote name='kodave']A Best Buy in Howell, NJ is trying to charge $23.88 for a 12 pack of Smart Water and $40.56 for a 24 pack of Dasani.

http://microblog.joshsternberg.com/post/9474642982/thegreg-dirtbags-at-best-buy-in-howell-nj

http://thechive.com/2011/08/27/not-cool-best-buy-1-hq-photo/

Apparently this may not be illegal price gouging because they are allegedly selling it at the single bottle price and not giving a bulk discount.[/QUOTE]

actually it is illegal

Attorney General Paula T. Dow and the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs today warned gasoline retailers, grocers, and other merchants that price gouging is prohibited during the State of Emergency declared in advance of Hurricane Irene.

Dow and Thomas R. Calcagni, director of the Division of Consumer Affairs, reminded retailers that the State of Emergency declared by Gov. Chris Christie automatically activated New Jersey’s price gouging law.

The law makes it illegal to sell merchandise at excessive price increases during a State of Emergency or within 30 days of the termination of the State of Emergency.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']With all this fucking news coverage of it, I better see some action in Northeast PA. More so because my power goes off too fucking frequently so I will need to leave my PC and other electronics besides my TV off, and it will give me something to watch, lol. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Northeast lost power. I wonder if it's because of the car accident? The car knocked over a power pole.

[quote name='kodave']
Apparently this may not be illegal price gouging because they are allegedly selling it at the single bottle price and not giving a bulk discount.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean they aren't complete fucking douchebags.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Doesn't mean they aren't complete fucking douchebags.[/QUOTE]

Total douchery.

[quote name='xCappax']actually it is illegal[/QUOTE]

Its debatable because they're selling it at the same price they sell the bottles for individually, only you must buy 12 or 24 or whatever to make the purchase. I don't know if the law goes to the distinction of whether its price gouging to not break the bulk but charge the individual price for each item.

For instance, at pet stores the canned food on the shelves is individually priced, but if you want to buy a whole case of it from the back of the shelf, you pay the individual price multiplied by the number of cans in the case.

That's basically what Best Buy is doing. Its shitty and shady and just emphasizes what a crappy corporate entity they are, but its definitely debatable as whether its illegal.

It would come down to whether the law says you can do the individual item pricing on bulk packaging without breaking the bulk, or whether the standard of price gouging is based off the comparable prices of the same bulk items as a whole. And since I assume they're still selling individual bottles of water for those that want them, its not like they've changed the item and stock from individual bottles to just the bulk.

[quote name='thegreek']Villinova?? I'm in west Chester and we are getting slammed right now.[/QUOTE]

I think he means Northern Virginia.

I'm in MA, we've been having mild rain from the middle of the afternoon on. My best friend's in RI and hasn't had shit yet. I think she actually lives in a bizarro universe.

LOL....... guess best buy is going to jack up the price of that touch pad now lol.

See I did the smart/crazy thing... go to walmart at 1am and get all the shit I needed...no lines..no craziness.... just had to watch my back in the parking lot though. :p

Can't wait til that story his consumerist.... BB Corp is gonna be pissed at that store.

So far the Delmarva Peninsula continues to serve as my personal multiphasic shield. Not even a power outage yet!

Power just powered off and on a few times, shit is wet, winds are picking up in South East Nassau county...

bread's done
Back