Hurricane Sandy - new weaker storm to hamper recovery possible next week

[quote name='Access_Denied']Considering that a nuclear plant could possibly, you know, kill thousands of people if something went wrong, I feel like that's a legitimate reporting topic.[/QUOTE]

I have more faith in our power plants in this storm than an earthquake hitting it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']My parents in WV are getting a lot of snow from it, and some family/friends in the DC area have some issues with trees down, basements flooded from heavy rain etc. But nothing too bad and everyone is safe and sound.

Here in Atlanta we didn't get anything but colder weather and some wind from the storm pushing some fronts down this way--highs around 50, lows in the upper 30s the past two days and 20-30 mph wind gusts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah sucks to be in the wild and wonderful state when you can't get the fuck out.

I am really suspecting we are going to get hit with a big snow storm this year..

[quote name='ITDEFX']I have more faith in our power plants in this storm than an earthquake hitting it. [/QUOTE]

Well, if ITDEFX is confident that the nuclear power plants are fine, that's good enough for me.

Crazy picture.

3hFH4.jpg

[quote name='Pookymeister']Well, if ITDEFX is confident that the nuclear power plants are fine, that's good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

Why do I have a mental image of Homer Simpson at the controls of the nuke plant?

Ugh. No power and no cell service. Have to drive a couple of miles to get reception. No heat either. I lucked out though - 4 houses on my street got crushed by trees. Holes in the roof, etc. Roads are closed everywhere. This sucks.

[quote name='Javery']Ugh. No power and no cell service. Have to drive a couple of miles to get reception. No heat either. I lucked out though - 4 houses on my street got crushed by trees. Holes in the roof, etc. Roads are closed everywhere. This sucks.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes well going forward. Do you have a fireplace?

I made it through Sandy. My immediate area didn't get much damage at all other than wind and rain. Didn't even lose power. Overall I am very fortunate compared to what other people are experiencing, I am very grateful my area didn't get it worse.

Lost power last night around 8pm and still don't have it back. They are telling us to expect a week without power. It's not too bad during the day, but around 6pm it gets reeeally boring. On the plus side, we didn't have any damage to the house and no flooding.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Well, if ITDEFX is confident that the nuclear power plants are fine, that's good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='keithp']Why do I have a mental image of Homer Simpson at the controls of the nuke plant?[/QUOTE]

Why are you guys freaking out about hurricanes affecting nuclear power plants? There was no direct impact and the buildings themselves are designed to withstand hundreds of miles of wind force. A tornado *may* do some damage but I doubt anything will go critical. There are soooo many safety measures in place. Strong winds vs earthquake/tsunami. Stop worrying about fallout/radiation.....it's not going to happen....you are alive and power is up and running [for the most part].

[quote name='ITDEFX']Why are you guys freaking out about hurricanes affecting nuclear power plants? There was no direct impact and the buildings themselves are designed to withstand hundreds of miles of wind force. A tornado *may* do some damage but I doubt anything will go critical. There are soooo many safety measures in place. Strong winds vs earthquake/tsunami. Stop worrying about fallout/radiation.....it's not going to happen....you are alive and power is up and running [for the most part].[/QUOTE]

I think one legitimate concern would be flooding, then the radioactive water seeping into the ground or into the water supply or something. They say that's happening at Fukushima. But that hasn't happened yet here in America. I think one plant on the East Coast was worried about flooding but nothing dangerous actually flooded.

[quote name='Javery']Ugh. No power and no cell service. Have to drive a couple of miles to get reception. No heat either. I lucked out though - 4 houses on my street got crushed by trees. Holes in the roof, etc. Roads are closed everywhere. This sucks.[/QUOTE]

Hey, any update, you got power back?

[quote name='Blaster man']Hey, any update, you got power back?[/QUOTE]

No power or anything but I managed to get to my parents' house so I can now work remotely. They are so lucky because there is no power in any of the surrounding areas - my sister lives like 2 or 3 miles from here and she has nothing either. I'm hoping the power is back sometime today but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm on PSE&G and they have restored power to 30% of the 1.5 million customers without power. So hopefully today or tomorrow.

The bad news though is that I'm on FIOS and I heard that there is the possibility of weeks without service so no TV, phone or internet at home even if the power comes back - I got this info from a service tech though so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I'm in the office in Jersey City and the entire city seems to be out. The business tower that I work in has a generator because we have everything available including high speed Internet. There's like 35 floors so I don't even wanna imagine what type of generator they are running.

I felt like the movie 28 Days Later as I was driving. The streets and roads are completely empty of cars or people.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I just heard from people at work that they are canceling halloween and moving it to next week. What the hell? Is such a thing even possible?[/QUOTE]
The Great Pumpkin will not be pleased with this.

Places in the Appalachin Mountains that normally got maybe 1 or 2 inches total for the entire month of October got as much as 33 inches from this "tropical" storm alone....

[quote name='Superstar']I am being told this is going to hit West Virginia - but on our Local news websites it doesn't show much. Hm.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='WV Matsui']I don't believe it man[/QUOTE]

So......how did that work out for you guys?

I know some folks in Southern WV, they told me they got about 2 feet of snow with drifts at least4 feet tall. Some places in the Appalachian Mountains got nearly 3 feet of snow while the average for the entire month of October is normally only an inch or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Clak']How can they even do that? Are they going to fine people for trick or treating?[/QUOTE]

No, they moved it last year as well when the snow storm hit during Halloween.

There were still a hand full of kids trick or treating yesterday, but due to safety concerns they rather have kids stay inside since there are still some powerlines and trees down as well as some spots going completely dark since in my area some blocks have light, others are still out. I think some towns even had curfews (or maybe there were curfews in those areas already). But its moved until Nov 5 which is Saturday. Don't know if everything will be finished by then though.

[quote name='Blaster man']So......how did that work out for you guys?

I know some folks in Southern WV, they told me they got about 2 feet of snow with drifts at least4 feet tall. Some places in the Appalachian Mountains got nearly 3 feet of snow while the average for the entire month of October is normally only an inch or two.[/QUOTE]

OMG. People got a foot or two of snow? In the mountains? You don't say....

It's not really that amazing considering the trade off of rain to snow is 1 inch rain = 1 foot of snow.

Not what I meant, I meant how do they enforce it? Fine people for taking their kids trick or treating?

My parents power has been out from the snow in WV, power company told them it would be sometime next week before it's back on.

They're having bad luck with power outages this year. That big summer storm that went through the mid-Atlantic during the heat wave knocked their power out and it took them 9 days to get it back when temps were 95-100.

[quote name='Clak']Not what I meant, I meant how do they enforce it? Fine people for taking their kids trick or treating?[/QUOTE]

I doubt they bother enforcing it. Just a way to reschedule it so kids still get to to do it and parents felt less pressured to take them last night while conditions are bad and clean up efforts are underway full force etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
I doubt they bother enforcing it. Just a way to reschedule it so kids still get to to do it and parents felt less pressured to take them last night while conditions are bad and clean up efforts are underway full force etc.[/QUOTE]

^This. Is not so much of making it "the law" that you can't go trick or treating last night, its more of an alternative for safety. Like I said, there were still some older kids that went out last night, but most parents with little ones will go out on Saturday. Also, if no one has power I'm sure the last thing they want is someone knocking on their door asking for candy, so its a little out of respect for those who are still having problems as well.

And dmaul1114 - Sorry to hear about the year with your parents. I lost power for a week during the snow storm last year and when I was a teen I remember losing power for 1 hot summer night. I will take that week in the cold than the night with no A/C anytime.

Same for me. You can always bundle up, get gas heaters etc. in the winter.

Not much you can do in the summer when it's super hot without A/C. Fans help a little, but not so much when it's 95+.

They always reschedule Halloween around here to make it easier for the kids. I bet this is the 3rd or 4th time in 8 years that it has been on a day other than Oct. 31. Christie isn't the one making the call - usually it's the mayor of each town. Some years you can take the kids to 3 towns and go out trick-or-treating 3 different nights. If people still decide to trick-or-treat on Halloween I just wouldn't answer the door (it's never happened).

[quote name='Manifest95']^This. Is not so much of making it "the law" that you can't go trick or treating last night, its more of an alternative for safety. Like I said, there were still some older kids that went out last night, but most parents with little ones will go out on Saturday. Also, if no one has power I'm sure the last thing they want is someone knocking on their door asking for candy, so its a little out of respect for those who are still having problems as well.

And dmaul1114 - Sorry to hear about the year with your parents. I lost power for a week during the snow storm last year and when I was a teen I remember losing power for 1 hot summer night. I will take that week in the cold than the night with no A/C anytime.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention, if people didn't get a chance to buy candy before the storm...

In my part of PA I lost power for about two days. Monday from 10:30 till Wednesday at 5:30. Some people around here are expecting estimates of like Sunday at the earliest.

As crazy as it sounds I would rather lose power in the summer than winter. I was freezing most of the day Tues and Wed at my place and even with blankets I would freeze my ass off if I got out of the blankets. In the two days my power has been out I have gotten a fucking cold because of it and all day I been coughing with a sore throat. Then again in summer I never had AC at my house, only fans. It's more so annoying because I have a list of plans this weekend and getting sick is not apart of it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']In my part of PA I lost power for about two days. Monday from 10:30 till Wednesday at 5:30. Some people around here are expecting estimates of like Sunday at the earliest.

As crazy as it sounds I would rather lose power in the summer than winter. I was freezing most of the day Tues and Wed at my place and even with blankets I would freeze my ass off if I got out of the blankets. In the two days my power has been out I have gotten a fucking cold because of it and all day I been coughing with a sore throat. Then again in summer I never had AC at my house, only fans. It's more so annoying because I have a list of plans this weekend and getting sick is not apart of it.[/QUOTE]

I've lost power in both seasons for extended periods (over a week) and heat is far worse. I don't know what a PA summer would be like but try 10 days with 100+° and 1,000,000% humidity. I could barely take it, and that's not nearly as bad as it would be deeper south. Not to say that the two weeks I was out of power during an ice storm years ago didn't suck, but the heat is way more miserable without power IMO.

A few of todays model runs have shown yet another strong Northeastern type system hitting the coast. Not to much talk of it but its something that will needed to be watched. In the first slide you can see the system start off the coast of South Carolina. It moves over the Atlantic and explodes over Massachusetts in the second slide.

2012110118_EUS_GFS_500_HGT_WINDS_132.gif

2012110118_EUS_GFS_500_HGT_WINDS_168.gif

[quote name='blindinglights']I've lost power in both seasons for extended periods (over a week) and heat is far worse. I don't know what a PA summer would be like but try 10 days with 100+° and 1,000,000% humidity. I could barely take it, and that's not nearly as bad as it would be deeper south. Not to say that the two weeks I was out of power during an ice storm years ago didn't suck, but the heat is way more miserable without power IMO.[/QUOTE]
Ouch, yeah that would suck. On a good PA summer day it's like 90 max with maybe 90% humidity until the storm passed then it would drop and about 75 at night.

Thanks for the info packerfan10! Below are a couple of forecasts I found. I trust the capital weather gang (as mentioned at the start of this thread) to not sensationalize. Compare their forecast to the "accuweather" one. That's why when they said that Sandy was going to be bad, I believed it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...53-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_blog.html#pagebreak

New Nor’easter may hit East Coast next week

euro-storm2.gif

Another storm is exactly what the mid-Atlantic and Northeast coast don’t need. But the European Centre Medium Range Forecast (EURO) model is forecasting exactly that this time next week.

The EURO, which sniffed out Sandy 8 days before it hit, shows an area of low pressure developing off the Georgia/South Carolina coast the night of the election (November 6), and then moving up the coast into New England by Wednesday night.

NOAA’s Hydrometeorological Prediction Center leads its extended forecast discussion with the headline:

...NOR’EASTER POSSIBLE FOR MID-ATLANTIC/NEW ENGLAND STATES BY ELECTION DAY INTO NEXT THURSDAY...

The simulated storm - while much weaker than Sandy - shows moderate rains and gusty (not damaging) winds in the same areas hit so hard earlier this week. It also shows some potential for snow on the interior.

These conditions would obviously hamper clean-up efforts in areas afflicted by Sandy’s coastal flooding and raise the seas again, but to a much lesser degree.

The U.S. GFS model also simulates a storm in that time frame, but it stays far enough out to sea to mostly spare the mid-Atlantic before curving inland in southern New England.

Exact track details and, thus, the localized impacts of the storm are not possible to pin down at this range. But once again, the overall pattern shows the potential for a storm that would bring wind, rain, and inland snow to parts of the mid-Atlantic and/or Northeast.

------------------------------------------SEPARATOR--------------------------------------------------

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/next-weeks-snowstorm-is-a-big/44753

More and more signs are pointing toward a major storm along much of the Atlantic Seaboard next week, meaning a wind-whipped snow for some areas and wind-driven rain for others.

The storm could rank right up there with the Christmas Weekend Blizzard and could hit part of the same area, or different areas farther inland. No matter what, it looks like a "big deal."

While the storm will have its nasty moments over the Rockies, Plains and part of the Midwest this weekend into early next week, it will be at its worst along the Atlantic Seaboard, where it is forecast to markedly strengthen. Arctic air building into the Northeast will also be a major factor in the big storm that will unfold.

400x266_01230804_012311snowthreat.jpg

Storm Track(s)

The key for what the weather will be in your area is the exact track of the storm.

A track along or just inland of the coast would bring rain over the eastern Carolinas and even a wintry mix into the I-95 corridor of the mid-Atlantic. This track would dump heavy snow, perhaps on the order of 1 to 2 feet, over the Appalachians. Snowfall rates would be intense with perhaps 1 to 3 inches per hour.

A track just off the coast would bring the heaviest snow to the I-95 cities and the beaches, as we have seen before, thus sparing the Appalachians the worst.

It is also possible the storm could swing out off the southern Atlantic coast, then hook back in over the Northeast with a more complex precipitation pattern.

No matter which way the storm tracks, it looks like big trouble for the Atlantic Seaboard next week, not only for the U.S., but all the way to Atlantic Canada.

What Will the Storm Bring to Me?

In the worst-case scenario, which may not be that far on the extreme end with this storm, an all-out blizzard may hit some inland areas, while a period of strong onshore winds could lead to coastal flooding.

If some places get heavy rain on top of the thick blanket of snow on the ground, everything from urban flooding to roof collapses could occur.

No matter what the storm brings to various locations along the Atlantic Seaboard next week, it will lead to major travel disruptions, closed schools, blown budgets and perhaps life-threatening conditions.

The storm has the potential to shut down some major highways and ground flights, stranding motorists on the road and airline passengers at airports.

400x266_01211749_usearlynxwk.jpg

Atmospheric Dynamics

The storm promises to be potent due to plenty of moisture and energy from a lingering large temperature contrast. The excess moisture slamming into the cold sea of air in the Northeast will yield intense precipitation.

A storm rolling southeastward along the Rockies this weekend will dip toward the Gulf of Mexico early next week. As it does, it will grab moisture from the relatively warm waters.

A temperature contrast from northwest to southeast will help provide the energy for a big storm in the East next week. An example of this contrast is the range in temperatures on Friday with a low of minus 46 degrees in northern Minnesota to a high in the lower 80s in South Florida.

Meanwhile, the coldest air of the season so far will be parked over the Northeast, including many subzero low temperatures in northern New England.

It appears the jet stream, which is a river of air high in the atmosphere that guides weather systems along, will bend, allowing the storm to track up along or just offshore of the Atlantic Seaboard during the middle of next week.

Keep Checking Back for Updates

Details on the storm track and how bad the storm will be from location to location will unfold into early next week. Keep checking in at AccuWeather.com for updates and on our network of radio and TV stations around the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blaster man']
------------------------------------------SEPARATOR--------------------------------------------------

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/next-weeks-snowstorm-is-a-big/44753

More and more signs are pointing toward a major storm along much of the Atlantic Seaboard next week, meaning a wind-whipped snow for some areas and wind-driven rain for others.

The storm could rank right up there with the Christmas Weekend Blizzard and could hit part of the same area, or different areas farther inland. No matter what, it looks like a "big deal."

While the storm will have its nasty moments over the Rockies, Plains and part of the Midwest this weekend into early next week, it will be at its worst along the Atlantic Seaboard, where it is forecast to markedly strengthen. Arctic air building into the Northeast will also be a major factor in the big storm that will unfold.

400x266_01230804_012311snowthreat.jpg

Storm Track(s)

The key for what the weather will be in your area is the exact track of the storm.

A track along or just inland of the coast would bring rain over the eastern Carolinas and even a wintry mix into the I-95 corridor of the mid-Atlantic. This track would dump heavy snow, perhaps on the order of 1 to 2 feet, over the Appalachians. Snowfall rates would be intense with perhaps 1 to 3 inches per hour.

A track just off the coast would bring the heaviest snow to the I-95 cities and the beaches, as we have seen before, thus sparing the Appalachians the worst.

It is also possible the storm could swing out off the southern Atlantic coast, then hook back in over the Northeast with a more complex precipitation pattern.

No matter which way the storm tracks, it looks like big trouble for the Atlantic Seaboard next week, not only for the U.S., but all the way to Atlantic Canada.

What Will the Storm Bring to Me?

In the worst-case scenario, which may not be that far on the extreme end with this storm, an all-out blizzard may hit some inland areas, while a period of strong onshore winds could lead to coastal flooding.

If some places get heavy rain on top of the thick blanket of snow on the ground, everything from urban flooding to roof collapses could occur.

No matter what the storm brings to various locations along the Atlantic Seaboard next week, it will lead to major travel disruptions, closed schools, blown budgets and perhaps life-threatening conditions.

The storm has the potential to shut down some major highways and ground flights, stranding motorists on the road and airline passengers at airports.

400x266_01211749_usearlynxwk.jpg

Atmospheric Dynamics

The storm promises to be potent due to plenty of moisture and energy from a lingering large temperature contrast. The excess moisture slamming into the cold sea of air in the Northeast will yield intense precipitation.

A storm rolling southeastward along the Rockies this weekend will dip toward the Gulf of Mexico early next week. As it does, it will grab moisture from the relatively warm waters.

A temperature contrast from northwest to southeast will help provide the energy for a big storm in the East next week. An example of this contrast is the range in temperatures on Friday with a low of minus 46 degrees in northern Minnesota to a high in the lower 80s in South Florida.

Meanwhile, the coldest air of the season so far will be parked over the Northeast, including many subzero low temperatures in northern New England.

It appears the jet stream, which is a river of air high in the atmosphere that guides weather systems along, will bend, allowing the storm to track up along or just offshore of the Atlantic Seaboard during the middle of next week.

Keep Checking Back for Updates

Details on the storm track and how bad the storm will be from location to location will unfold into early next week. Keep checking in at AccuWeather.com for updates and on our network of radio and TV stations around the country.[/QUOTE]

This article is working on two years old; January 23, 2011.

I have been reading a lot of chatter about how haarp has been running 24 hours a day for the past few days. That a moderate-strong earthquake could take place in California over the next few days. Something to note.

[quote name='packerfan10']I have been reading a lot of chatter about how haarp has been running 24 hours a day for the past few days. That a moderate-strong earthquake could take place in California over the next few days. Something to note.[/QUOTE]

The Mayans were right?

[quote name='Javery']The Mayans were right?[/QUOTE]

i thought they said it was a new beginning nowhere does it say the end ... the entire end of the world was just hype and it better be ..

im going to be so freakin pissed if i spend 300 on a ps3 and only get 30 days to play it

bread's done
Back