I am never selling on Amazon ever again!

Their policies are terrible!

This is completely ridiculous. The buyer paid for 10 day shipping, I was kind enough to get it to him within 2 days. I packaged it properly and made sure to mark it is as fragile. The day the buyer received the game he told me that the box is cracked. I apologized and told him it's not a big deal because the game is still in perfect condition. Also, the carrier was at fault not me. I told him you can get a free box at any video store near him. I also contacted him and offered to send him a new free box. He did not reply. He filed an A-Z claim and he won it. A couple days passed, I asked him if he sent the game back using return to sender. He said that he was not going to send it back and thanked me for the free game. Now I am out about forty dollars and a videogame. I can basically go buy a bunch of used videogames on amazon, say they came damaged and get my money back and keep the game. How great is that!

He can just make a false claim that the top of the box is cracked. Complain to amazon, be granted a full refund, and keep the game for free! He literally told me "Hah I am not sending it back, thanks for the free game."

If you have the guys name and address you could take legal action or just threaten it. I believe this case would qualify for small claims court.

Doesn't an A-Z claim require the buyer to send the item back if it was received?

Also, this is another reason to use insurance/signature confirmation on higher priced items. Yes, the buyer does not pay for insurance, but since you can set your own price on Amazon, just set it a little bit higher.

[quote name='Josef']Doesn't an A-Z claim require the buyer to send the item back if it was received?

Also, this is another reason to use insurance/signature confirmation on higher priced items. Yes, the buyer does not pay for insurance, but since you can set your own price on Amazon, just set it a little bit higher.[/QUOTE]

I found this on amazon.

My buyer won't return the item they filed a claim for -- what do I do?

Buyers are expected to work with you to make return arrangements for merchandise before filing a claim. If the buyer has received an item that is materially different and have not received a response from you with return instructions, he or she may file a Guarantee claim for the purchase. Once a customer is reimbursed for an order via the A-to-z Guarantee, Amazon.com does not obligate that customer to return the item they received. However, you are welcome to contact your customer directly to arrange for a return of the item.

WOW, ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS AMAZON?

[quote name='Josef']Doesn't an A-Z claim require the buyer to send the item back if it was received?

Also, this is another reason to use insurance/signature confirmation on higher priced items. Yes, the buyer does not pay for insurance, but since you can set your own price on Amazon, just set it a little bit higher.[/quote]

I believe it does require them to send the item back.
I had someone try and pull this crap on me a while back, and I fought it, and amazon ended up pulling the hold off of the funds.

Their seller service group is actually pretty aware and fair...just be patient, I'm sure you'll end up getting your situation taken care of. They're much much better than ebay's customer service, who are basically useless until it gets passed up to the 3rd level of support.

[quote name='Ronin317']I believe it does require them to send the item back.
I had someone try and pull this crap on me a while back, and I fought it, and amazon ended up pulling the hold off of the funds.

Their seller service group is actually pretty aware and fair...just be patient, I'm sure you'll end up getting your situation taken care of. They're much much better than ebay's customer service, who are basically useless until it gets passed up to the 3rd level of support.[/QUOTE]

It does not require them to have to send it back. Read the post above yours. Also, I called them and they told me he does not have to. =\

[quote name='slimjim2004']It does not require them to have to send it back. Read the post above yours. Also, I called them and they told me he does not have to. =\[/quote]
I must have been typing my response as you posted. Sorry...

[quote name='Ronin317']I must have been typing my response as you posted. Sorry...[/QUOTE]

Nah, no need to apologize. I just think the policy amazon has about this is ridiculous.

I'm sorry to say this, but I think you're out of $40. Usually on A-Z guarantees they ask for both sides of the story, but if you're a new seller with low/no feedback then Amazon probably won't trust your side. Amazon nearly always goes with the buyers over the sellers.

Worse yet, if you get too many A-Z claims (or too much low feedback) Amazon will ban you entirely from your site without letting you contact them AND withold your funds.

Thankfully, I have never run into these problems. I have run into dumb people on eBay and Amazon before, and there are even scammers here, so that's just how it is online. Most people do not pull this crap but you will always eventually run into someone that does.

Maybe you can do something with the buyer's address, though, if you know what I mean. They essentially stole $40 from you.

Hmm... dunno what to say. I guess I'm glad I was able to sell what I needed to without any problems whether it be amazon or eBay. This is one reason selling sucks online period.

damn thats some fucked up shit. id take it to court since you have the emails where hes basically taunting you about what hes done. thats reason enough not to ever try to sell on amazon. thats pretty shady on amazons part not to protect both buyers and sellers.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Hmm... dunno what to say. I guess I'm glad I was able to sell what I needed to without any problems whether it be amazon or eBay. This is one reason selling sucks online period.[/QUOTE]

This is one reason there will always be a market for places like Gamestop. Many would rather take far less money than fight online with people. Their time isn't worth the money.

I would print the emails he sent you right away. and if amazon doesnt give you the money, see what a lawyer can do. you can make him pay for the game and for your lawyer fee. but for 40 bucks, do u think its worth it?
Also, dont know if this is right or not, give us his name so that others avoid making deals with him.
I was going to say that you should take photos of a similar package with 'Fragile' and the adress of the guy written on it and try to submit them on amazon, and request any proof that the guy submitted to win the claim. Good luck.

I dabbled with selling on Amazon until I heard about that ridiculous policy . Essentially nothing stopping a buyer from outright stealing from you over any little thing and Amazon doesn't give a rat's ass.

Wow. I wonder if you could sue amazon on this one... I mean they essentially took the funds out of your account and you have proof that the item is in fact playable (via his asshole ridden response back to you). You'd think they'd be responsible for conducting a legal transaction between the buyer and seller so shouldn't they be held responsible for taking your funds?

You must have his addresses, both email and physical, right? Time to make his life a living hell. I'm thinking of signing him up for every oddball fetish website, mailer, catalog, etc. that you can think of. I would send pizzas, singing telegrams, and male strippers to his house. Send fake STD test results, fake court summons, fake breakup letters to his home. Basically, force the guy to move.

[quote name='slimjim2004']I did send it to them. I also called them. The guy on the phone told me to package my game correctly next time. :|[/quote]

Hey, you need to be more assertive. Call again!!!!

Actually, if you refuse to accept the item as a return Amazon will let the buyer keep it. By you telling him the damage was no big deal and basically not offering a return Amazon was forced to refund the buyer and let him keep it since you didn't specify to return it. Next time, if you continue to sell, remember that you MUST accept returns on all items (unless it isn't defective and was new when sold, for media that is).

[quote name='pacifickarma']You must have his addresses, both email and physical, right? Time to make his life a living hell. I'm thinking of signing him up for every oddball fetish website, mailer, catalog, etc. that you can think of. I would send pizzas, singing telegrams, and male strippers to his house. Send fake STD test results, fake court summons, fake breakup letters to his home. Basically, force the guy to move.[/quote]

:shock:

Post this guy's user name and all of his contact information here. I'll be sure never to let him buy from me and well...if you post his address here I'm sure some CAGs will take good care of him.

[quote name='limelight022']Hey, you need to be more assertive. Call again!!!![/quote]

hes right. youd be surprised what an angry phone call can accomplish. you may have just gotten hold of one of the amazon assholes keep trying and you may find someone who will help you. if you dont get that then ask to speak to someone higher up.

[quote name='pacifickarma']You must have his addresses, both email and physical, right? Time to make his life a living hell. I'm thinking of signing him up for every oddball fetish website, mailer, catalog, etc. that you can think of. I would send pizzas, singing telegrams, and male strippers to his house. Send fake STD test results, fake court summons, fake breakup letters to his home. Basically, force the guy to move.[/quote]
lol, are you sure pacific karma is your correct name.

Hehe... I just went to the University of the Pacific at a time when Jim Rome was huge. Hence, Pacifickarma. But I'm sure there's some karmic justice for the scamming tool who stole the game and the money.

This wins. Every time. When glitter and magazine racks aren't easily accessible, that is...

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Actually, if you refuse to accept the item as a return Amazon will let the buyer keep it. By you telling him the damage was no big deal and basically not offering a return Amazon was forced to refund the buyer and let him keep it since you didn't specify to return it. Next time, if you continue to sell, remember that you MUST accept returns on all items (unless it isn't defective and was new when sold, for media that is).[/QUOTE]

First thing I said was "Yes, do return to sender if possible. the address is *************. Also, may I ask where it is cracked? thanks"

[quote name='slimjim2004']I found this on amazon.

Buyers are expected to work with you to make return arrangements for merchandise before filing a claim. If the buyer has received an item that is materially different and have not received a response from you with return instructions, he or she may file a Guarantee claim for the purchase. Once a customer is reimbursed for an order via the A-to-z Guarantee, Amazon.com does not obligate that customer to return the item they received. However, you are welcome to contact your customer directly to arrange for a return of the item.

WOW, ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS AMAZON?[/QUOTE]

What... the... fuck? I have never seen that before... that's absolutely messed up. Screw that, I'll stick with eBay for selling my stuff and use Amazon for my purchases only.

Really sorry to hear your situation OP.

[quote name='slimjim2004']I found this on amazon.

WOW, ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS AMAZON?[/QUOTE]

Two things...

1) If the game's case was cracked, is it really "materially different?" The case is there, the game is there and works fine, how is that materially different? My interpretation of "materially different" is something along the line of a completely different game.

2) It sounds like as long as you offer up return instructions, Amazon requires the buyer to send it back to you. As long as you offer to take the return next time there shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='slimjim2004']First thing I said was "Yes, do return to sender if possible. the address is *************. Also, may I ask where it is cracked? thanks"[/QUOTE]

I would forward that information to Amazon then, as they shouldn't have issued a refund until the buyer returned the item. Get on their ass about it.

Hello fellow CAGs,

This guy also posted this exact same story over on the Vestibule at IGN. Not a big deal in of itself, but he also had another thread about how a guy complained because he sold him a disc-only copy of Street Fighter IV. Of course, the OP was in the right, as he did list the game as disc-only, so there wasn't any problem there.

The problem was that it was clear to anyone who wasn't an idiot that the OP had unwrapped a copy of SF4, taken out the disc, rewrapped the game, and returned it. Many CAGs should know that SF4 was particularly vulnerable to this due to Capcom's horrible wrapping job.

Just thought ya'll should know.

[quote name='evanft']Hello fellow CAGs,

This guy also posted this exact same story over on the Vestibule at IGN. Not a big deal in of itself, but he also had another thread about how a guy complained because he sold him a disc-only copy of Street Fighter IV. Of course, the OP was in the right, as he did list the game as disc-only, so there wasn't any problem there.

The problem was that it was clear to anyone who wasn't an idiot that the OP had unwrapped a copy of SF4, taken out the disc, rewrapped the game, and returned it. Many CAGs should know that SF4 was particularly vulnerable to this due to Capcom's horrible wrapping job.

Just thought ya'll should know.[/quote]

karma's a bitch, huh?

That said, I never realized it's so risky to sell on amazon. I will not sell there again.

[quote name='evanft']The problem was that it was clear to anyone who wasn't an idiot that the OP had unwrapped a copy of SF4, taken out the disc, rewrapped the game, and returned it. Many CAGs should know that SF4 was particularly vulnerable to this due to Capcom's horrible wrapping job.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but how was it clear? Did he write something that made it clear, or did you just assume that a disc-only copy of a recently-released game with shoddy wrapping must have been fraud?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elmyra']Maybe I'm an idiot, but how was it clear? Did he write something that made it clear, or did you just assume that a disc-only copy of a recently-released game with shoddy wrapping must have been fraud?[/quote]

Also, Capcom's wrapping wasn't "shitty" at all, at least on the copy I bought (and the rest I've seen in stores). All I've seen (including the one I bought on release day) had the standard wrapping (not crappy shrink-wrap) that all factory sealed 360 games do.

Just thought ya'll should know.[/QUOTE]
What the ****? I did not steal SF4. I bought it. Got bored. Sold it.

[quote name='evanft']The problem was that it was clear to anyone who wasn't an idiot that the OP had unwrapped a copy of SF4, taken out the disc, rewrapped the game, and returned it. Many CAGs should know that SF4 was particularly vulnerable to this due to Capcom's horrible wrapping job.[/quote]

You got a link to the thread?

I've never sold anything on Amazon and after reading through this thread I don't think I'll start.

[quote name='elmyra']Maybe I'm an idiot, but how was it clear? Did he write something that made it clear, or did you just assume that a disc-only copy of a recently-released game with shoddy wrapping must have been fraud?[/quote]

Yes. Why would someone who just bought a game not have the case and booklet? Add in the fact that this is a known problem, and it's easy to come to that conclusion. He claimed the case was damaged in shipping, but GMAFB.

Link.

To give Amazon some credit, I recently received an A-Z claim.

I sold a sealed PS2 item (Codebreaker), which the buyer claimed didn't work in their Ps2. I smelled BS.

I told them they could return it, with two possibilities:

1. It works in my Ps2, and they will get a partial refund. According to Amazon's policy, I don't have to accept an opened game.
2. It doesn't work. They get a full refund.

They wanted a full refund no matter what, so they filed the claim. I responded to Amazon's inquiry and told them i offered the return, and that I am not a rental service. A couple days later I saw that they judged in my favor. Now what exactly happened, I don't know. I never heard from her again so maybe Amazon ate the loss.

If he just sent the CD in a case, he wouldn't have to "rewrap the game and return it," would he? He could just send the CD-R. Also, he listed it as like new, not new.

I guess that's besides the point, but what you were saying didn't make sense to me...

Dang, I don't know who to believe now. I want to take slimjim's word for it, but it's pretty rare for a case to just get cracked when you buy from a retailer online.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Dang, I don't know who to believe now. I want to take slimjim's word for it, but it's pretty rare for a case to just get cracked when you buy from a retailer online.[/quote]

What would be his motive to lie? Its not like were Amazon and he gets something if he convinces us he got screwed, lol.

[quote name='Pookymeister']To give Amazon some credit, I recently received an A-Z claim.

I sold a sealed PS2 item (Codebreaker), which the buyer claimed didn't work in their Ps2. I smelled BS.

I told them they could return it, with two possibilities:

1. It works in my Ps2, and they will get a partial refund. According to Amazon's policy, I don't have to accept an opened game.
2. It doesn't work. They get a full refund.

They wanted a full refund no matter what, so they filed the claim. I responded to Amazon's inquiry and told them i offered the return, and that I am not a rental service. A couple days later I saw that they judged in my favor. Now what exactly happened, I don't know. I never heard from her again so maybe Amazon ate the loss.[/quote]

That same thing happened when my father sold some games he had picked up from Circuit City back in ye olden days of clearance, and Amazon ruled in his favor, too. That didn't stop the douchebag buyer from leaving a 1 / 5 negative rating, though, so he left likewise buyer feedback warning other sellers to be wary of this buyer (not like it matters much, though).

I sell low-price items on AMZ (price < $50) but I'm afraid to sell anything higher-priced on there or on eBay, and I've got quite a few games > $100 in price. My best bet is to do it on the various trading sites I'm a member of. I'm well aware of AMZ's policies though, and personally I prefer them over eBay.

wow, just sounds like you had really bad luck OP. and just a real jackass of a buyer. sounds like this isnt the first time the guy has probably done something like this, and he sounds like a pure scammer.. such fucking scum.

either way, its pretty easy to abuse the amazon A-Z claim system, as from what ive heard from sellers, the seller never wins unless he has put insurance, delivery confirmation, AND SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION on the package....

that being said, it would be extremely easy for me to go buy some game, say it was damaged, and do what this guy did, but i actually have morals and thats just wrong.

hopefully something doesnt happen like this to me. So far, ive sold around 40 items (mostly games) on amazon, and most of the time i just ship first class without DC and i havent had any problems thus far.

good luck on resolving your problem. I would probably take legal action. people like this need to be taught a lesson, a god damn hard lesson.

[quote name='evanft']Yes. Why would someone who just bought a game not have the case and booklet? Add in the fact that this is a known problem, and it's easy to come to that conclusion. He claimed the case was damaged in shipping, but GMAFB.

Link.[/quote]

thats not proof at all.... i know lots of people who dont give a rats ass about cases and manuals. also, gamestop is notorious for selling game discs only, as well as other sites too.

so its not CLEAR he stole it. it very well could have been legit or stolen.

Its not proof...but enough for a pessimist to believe that the game was stolen. On a side note, what happens to the person who accidentally buys a 'gutted' copy of sfiv? Can he still return it? Is it even possible of purchasing a gutted copy on accident?

bread's done
Back