I am so glad that the video game industry as a whole had a terrible fiscal year

3kingdoms

CAGiversary!
Sales are down across the board for the big three and the software makers did not do any better. The casual gamer like me got tired of the rehash titles, limited edition titles, and constant nickel and dimming of "map packs" /downloads. We turned to arcade games and mobile games that offer multi-player mode without the need of a "online code" and games that displayed glimpses of innovation.

EA, UBISoft, or any other company that implements online codes deserves to take a financial hit.

EA down over 50% ytd

[quote name='Spokker']
I'm really hoping it's a response to all the BS we've been seeing in games recently, and not just a symptom of the recession.[/QUOTE]

Diablo III was $60 + tax on release, featured the hardest DRM scheme we've yet seen in the industry, and on top of that was a horrible piece of software to begin with. Pretty sure it broke some sales records.

In other words, people still have enough money these days to support bullshit, and I'm guilty of it too.

This is also console fatigue. Pretty easy to skip games or wait for sales when you have over 600+ games to choose from on your proffered console. I have only bought 2 games this year on release (ME3 and MP3) and that was because they came with $20 rebates. I will most likely buy 4-5 this fall but again only because I get $20 back and the chance to PM. Add all this into the fact console sales are pretty flat (price drop my help). We will see what the Wii U does to year end sales.

its becus there wer no new systems no new systems = no new profit it would be like if the snes never had a sequeul the n64 ppl get bored thats y i want 2 reserve a wii u at gamestop.

With bad games come bad sale...
What I really hope for is for the cheaply made games that EA and Ubi make just for cash to transfer over to cell phone market (which may/may not) be cheaper to make them on. I would love if only good games came for the consoles and the bad ones were the cheap market games.... I can dream

[quote name='3kingdoms'] The casual gamer like me got tired of the rehash titles, limited edition titles, and constant nickel and dimming of "map packs" /downloads. [/QUOTE]

I have no problems with these. Want to play the core game, play the core game. If someone else liked it enough to buy DLC, why do you care? Map packs keep multiplayer fresh, I'm not sure how anyone could see a problem with that. Maybe a pricing argument, but to say they shouldn't exist is naive. Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2 is better than some full retail games. Same for General Knoxx for Borderlands. When done right, DLC can be pretty great.

Now DLC like what Capcom does with costumes or Gears with weapon skins are absurd and just clutter the marketplace.

I hate to pour some rain on this parade, but several prominent analysts are speculating that the downturn in the retail game space may be...our fault. That is to say, the number of bargain-hunters and gamers willing to wait for price drops has drastically increased over the past few years.

Now, I'm not blaming cheap-ass-gamers directly. Here's what I think has actually happened. With the advent of the Wii, a lot of people who weren't familiar with games became regular game purchasers. They had little to no experience with game purchasing, or were lapsed gamers with no familiarity with how the current retail model for games worked.

But since the launch of the Wii, they've become familiar with how retail game sales work. Sites like Cheap-Ass-Gamer, and the internet in general, have helped to accelerate their education. Now a lot of rookie game shoppers have become savvy enough not to rush out and buy the latest titles. All those new game players are waiting for sales and deals.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I hate to pour some rain on this parade, but several prominent analysts are speculating that the downturn in the retail game space may be...our fault. That is to say, the number of bargain-hunters and gamers willing to wait for price drops has drastically increased over the past few years.

Now, I'm not blaming cheap-ass-gamers directly. Here's what I think has actually happened. With the advent of the Wii, a lot of people who weren't familiar with games became regular game purchasers. They had little to no experience with game purchasing, or were lapsed gamers with no familiarity with how the current retail model for games worked.

But since the launch of the Wii, they've become familiar with how retail game sales work. Sites like Cheap-Ass-Gamer, and the internet in general, have helped to accelerate their education. Now a lot of rookie game shoppers have become savvy enough not to rush out and buy the latest titles. All those new game players are waiting for sales and deals.[/QUOTE]

I rarely buy on release bc i dont think many games are worth 59.99. I might if there is credit given for preordering, but usually, if i dont buy a game on release, i can wait until it drops way down in price.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I hate to pour some rain on this parade, but several prominent analysts are speculating that the downturn in the retail game space may be...our fault. That is to say, the number of bargain-hunters and gamers willing to wait for price drops has drastically increased over the past few years.

But since the launch of the Wii, they've become familiar with how retail game sales work. Sites like Cheap-Ass-Gamer, and the internet in general, have helped to accelerate their education. Now a lot of rookie game shoppers have become savvy enough not to rush out and buy the latest titles. All those new game players are waiting for sales and deals.[/QUOTE]

I can never completely take this logic for truth because myself, like many others on this site, will be happy to buy a game Day 1 if it's something we REALLY want or feel it's worth it. Most of my games aren't Day 1 purchases, but the ones I feel will be worth it are. Games that I wait on are ones I know will have 50 things of DLC down the road. That's on the developer, not us.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yeah, the successful games were shit like Angry Birds.

If that's the future of gaming, I guess I need to start looking for a new hobby.[/QUOTE]

Or you could do like me and just start going backwards. I literally have not bought a single PS3 or 360 game since Mass Effect 3. Even the cheap games fail to impress me lately. Instead I've been focusing on Gamecube and PS2.

I'm of a different opinion.

I think what has happened is gaming choices have become over-saturated, and companies don't know how to effectively deploy their games throughout the year.

Last year I made one game purchase between January and October - Mortal Kombat. The titles released in that period were few and far between; or at a price point I wasn't willing to buy in at.

During the holiday season of 2011, a billion titles were released. This means gamers have to prioritize on which ones they are willing to purchase. Most gamers are willing to purchase games day 1 if they really care about them. If they don't, they go to the wayside, and then the consumer can become more selective about what price point they purchase at. Had these titles that were more likely to get passed up released at another point in the year, they may have had stronger sales. I know I have passed on at least 3 games that would have been day one purchases for me if they had released at any other time during the year.

This brings us back to over-saturation. "Gaming backlog" isn't a foreign term. Simply put, it's really easy to become over invested materially without enough time to go through the materials. I'm working on a backlog of about 20 games myself. I'm pretty grateful that there aren't a lot of console titles I'm interested in this holiday season, although there are some really great PC titles coming out this year.

How will my backlog affect my purchases? I would likely be a day 1 Wii U buyer if not for my backlog. Now, that might end up being a wait until the console is $50 cheaper, simply because I can't get through my titles.

How can the games industry remedy this? Frankly monetizing the months outside of the holiday season is the best way to do this. Develop a reliable and constant stream of releases that doesn't have these massive rainfalls followed by drought. A constant release schedule gives gamers predictability, and makes them, as consumers, more predictable in their spending habits.

On a personal level I do hope the over-saturation of yearly/bi-yearly sequels go away - especially for titles that aren't all that innovative. Sequels aren't bad, but they can be overdone [Call of Duty compared to Elder Scrolls, for example]. On the opposite side, I'm always on the lookout for a new experience, but they have to be polished in order to stand up to more predictable titles.

[quote name='Platinumstorm']I'm of a different opinion.

I think what has happened is gaming choices have become over-saturated, and companies don't know how to effectively deploy their games throughout the year.[/QUOTE]

While I don't think this invalidates my theory...you're not wrong.

The new breed of gamers that have been lured in this console cycle were not aware of the precipitous drop-off in game prices that happens six to eight months after release. This is partially due to console and game developer's attempts to keep average prices higher through console bundles and peripheral-based game titles. And it's partially due to Nintendo, who are legendary for keeping the prices of their first-party games high for years on end. (Super Smash Bros Brawl got its first price drop last month) Now that these consumers have had several years to get used to buying games, they've gotten wise to regular changes in pricing. The sluggish economy has helped to accelerate this process.

At the same time, you're right about the unusual seasonal focus. It isn't doing the game industry any favors. With the expanded market for games, people have taken to buying them year-round. This is in keeping with the much older average age of game purchasers. Video games aren't just Christmas presents anymore.

[quote name='Platinumstorm']I'm of a different opinion.

I think what has happened is gaming choices have become over-saturated, and companies don't know how to effectively deploy their games throughout the year.[/QUOTE]
Beat me to it. And this year all the companies are moving their games to Q1 of next year, so no matter what they keep making it a clusterfuck of launch windows.

i dont get it. why the hell did they release game week after week, mostly of the same genre but yet in the summer there hasn't been anything for like 2 months. only thing im looking forward to this year pretty much is dark siders 2

i also feel victum to diablo 3. worst over hyped game ever. hehe

wow. You are an opinionated group and I love it. So here's my two cents (since we are all [ mostly all ] cheap Ill leave it at that)

1st cent. I blame companies like gamestop. You trade in older games (when you could) for less then a dollar. Now I would have gladly taken in store credit to put towards pruchases. Hence why I don't purchase games from places like this.

2nd Cent. There is a lack of inovastion in our video game genres. I felt like as I got older game would become faster and more fluid. In game storage would be a breeze to interact with. In no way is that the case.
All and all I was a Nintendo fan boy because it was the only thing out at the time.

Now I am still a Nintendo fan boy, because my NES is still plugged in, and doesn't need wifi to play with a friend.

I'm still completely unsold on the idea that tablet and smartphone apps have anything to do with console game and PC sales.

The markets are completely different. Tablet and smartphone apps' customers are students and workers on the commute. I dare you to show me ONE person who would pass up playing Skyrim/Minecraft/Call of Duty to play Angry Birds on his iphone. Thus, only handhelds might lose sales as a result, as proven by both the 3DS and Vita experiencing disappointing sales numbers.

As for console game sales dropping, a few reasons:

1. Unemployment numbers are improving. Thus, more people who have entered/re-entered the workforce have less free time, meaning less free time to play video games. Also, the ridiculously tough job market for young adults means that every serious job seeker who's not a business/CS major needs to spend a LOT more time attending networking events, resume-padding activities, and job-seeking workshops.
2. Games are designed now to demand a LOT more free time from the player now. Back in grade school I remember a good RPG would take 10-15 hours to beat. Now pretty much all RPGs promise 50, even 100+ hours of gameplay. Shooters' single player campaigns still take the same 8 hours-ish to complete, but their online multiplayer modes are designed to demand hundreds of hours to "finish." This creates immense backlogs.
3. Other forms of entertainment (netflix, facebook/skype) are steadily competing with gaming as alternatives to spending one's free time.

[quote name='Kevfactor']i also feel victum to diablo 3. worst over hyped game ever. hehe[/QUOTE]
I don't know about overhyped as much as didn't live up to expectations. It's the first blizzard game (other than SC, but I never buy it for the MP) I've ever dropped after a month because of the awful design decisions, pre and post patches. They pure and simple blew it with that game and it shows since there was a mass exodus to the point that even Blizzard acknowledged it.

[quote name='Richard Kain']While I don't think this invalidates my theory...you're not wrong.

The new breed of gamers that have been lured in this console cycle were not aware of the precipitous drop-off in game prices that happens six to eight months after release. This is partially due to console and game developer's attempts to keep average prices higher through console bundles and peripheral-based game titles. And it's partially due to Nintendo, who are legendary for keeping the prices of their first-party games high for years on end. (Super Smash Bros Brawl got its first price drop last month) Now that these consumers have had several years to get used to buying games, they've gotten wise to regular changes in pricing. The sluggish economy has helped to accelerate this process.

At the same time, you're right about the unusual seasonal focus. It isn't doing the game industry any favors. With the expanded market for games, people have taken to buying them year-round. This is in keeping with the much older average age of game purchasers. Video games aren't just Christmas presents anymore.[/QUOTE]

You should have seen the pissed off PC gamers who bought Spec Ops the Line on launch for $60, only to have it drop 50% (during a sale) the same week as launch! :lol:

Also, I'm ashamed to admit i have a backlog of literally hundreds (indie & AAA). Mostly cause i haven't replaced my old PC yet but keep buying games on sale at Steam. fucking Gabe. I call their winter event the Winter Wallet Rape. Here's a great video about the moments leading up to it (not mine). Steam Winter Wallet Rape

[quote name='FrankstaV2']
The markets are completely different.[/QUOTE]

The markets are different, true. But what those different markets are competing for is exactly the same. Once upon a time, you would say that they were competing for consumers' money. These days, that's not really the case. What they are truly competing for is consumers' time.

The bandwidth that any consumer can dedicate to a given activity is becoming increasingly more finite. And the number of companies and products competing for that attention has only gone up. So markets that were once considered to not be in direct competition are now butting heads.

If someone spends an hour playing Angry Birds on their tablet, that is one hour that they WON'T be playing a title like Skyrim on their console or PC. More casual titles are very easy to get into, and don't have nearly as much of a time commitment. That accessibility is giving them an edge over more complex gaming experiences.

I'm not buying a game on release ever again. $60 is too expensive for something that isn't going to last long enough. GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption & Gran Turismo 5 have longevity & kinda worth their price tags.

I'm waiting for black Friday to see how low Assassins Creed 3, Fall of cybertron & Borderlands 2 drop.

[quote name='superhippy1986']I'm not buying a game on release ever again. $60 is too expensive for something that isn't going to last long enough. GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption & Gran Turismo 5 have longevity & kinda worth their price tags.
[/QUOTE]

That's subjective. For every game you think has longevity and value someone else doesn't, and vice versa.

[quote name='kburns10']I can never completely take this logic for truth because myself, like many others on this site, will be happy to buy a game Day 1 if it's something we REALLY want or feel it's worth it. Most of my games aren't Day 1 purchases, but the ones I feel will be worth it are. Games that I wait on are ones I know will have 50 things of DLC down the road. That's on the developer, not us.[/QUOTE]

+1. Where's my Super Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3? And my Skyrim GotY? In a way, their DLC hits them twice.

1. Economy - effects everybody, gamers are looking for cheap alternatives and value

2. All 3 home consoles are hackable due to age - Wii got hit big time. All later releases, even quality 1st party with lasting appeal are discounted relatively fast. They are not selling enough copies at higher prices because they could be copied for free and relatively easy (especially the Wii). The DS also has had a decent emulator like 1 year after release.

3. Lack of quality/innovation in more titles. - Wii also got hit hard by this and because people are suplimiting their Wii libraries with older Gamecube games. Higher prices for old quality Gamecube games prove there demand. If the Wii U doesn't have the software library quickly to back it up, 1st party Wii games will get high resale values or older Wii's will get some resale value due to software modding in the future.

4. Marketing Gimmicks to steal more money - I count not supporting their hardware/accessories in this. Sony and the Move. Skyward Sword should have been a Wii launch title or at least a release 3 years ago. Whats the point of buying the Move and Motion Plus if there are no titles for them. 3DS launch price and all its accessories.

5. Nickle and Diming (developers are absolutely to blame for their reps). I don't have problems with quality title DLC like GTAIV and RDR but the other crap the developers pull is astounding.

2 Biggest mistakes in my time as a CAG'er
Example 1: MvsC 3. fuck you Capcom, never will I ever buy another at launch title (or even old title) from you, unless I absolutly know it is the last version. I bought it at launch, compare that to ultimate, thats like half of the game. They charged full price for half of a game at launch after more than a decade anticipated sequal.

Example 2: 3DS launch price and steep MSRP drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back