I ask for your assistance with a project

kirby_fox

CAGiversary!
Hello CAG-

I'm fairly certain none of you know me, but I still kindly ask for your assistance.

I am doing a journalism story on video game culture for a class final. Seeing as one part of that is online forums, I have come to ask you to answer a few questions.

- Why do you come to CAG?

- What made you start coming?

- What do you think of the community here?

- Have you met people on here? Describe your relationship with them (good friends, talk here or there online, met in person numerous times to just chat, etc.)

I thank you all in advance and will gladly send a copy of the story to anyone interested.

[Moderators: I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but it looked to be the best to put it in.]

[quote name='kirby_fox']Hello CAG-

I'm fairly certain none of you know me, but I still kindly ask for your assistance.

I am doing a journalism story on video game culture for a class final. Seeing as one part of that is online forums, I have come to ask you to answer a few questions.

- Have you met people on here? Describe your relationship with them (good friends, talk here or there online, met in person numerous times to just chat, etc.)

I thank you all in advance and will gladly send a copy of the story to anyone interested.

[Moderators: I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but it looked to be the best to put it in.][/QUOTE]

1. Why do you come to CAG?

The frequently updated video game deals.

2. What made you start coming?

To find frequently updated video game deals.

3. What do you think of the community here?

What I'd expect from a community of people who want to find video game deals.

4. Have you met people on here? Describe your relationship with them (good friends, talk here or there online, met in person numerous times to just chat, etc.)

No.

The deals and trading forums, mainly.

A few years ago, Circuit City had a bunch of games on sale for $5. I found out that you could trade games in the CAG forums and signed up so I could get some of the games my CC didn't have in stock.

I think it's great. The community looks after their own for the most part, but everybody's really laid back.

Never met another CAG in person, but I did meet one's wife. She was in the area I lived in at the time visiting family and dropped off a game I'd bought from her husband.

[Moderators: I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but it looked to be the best to put it in.][/QUOTE]
1. I loved the user kept database on GS trade values.

2. I actually joined up just so I could help contribute to the site with trade values, funny now that I think about it.. I haven't contributed much at all.

3. I really love the community, it's very diverse.

4. Not really made any friends. I've kinda just stuck to myself.

I feel that the community here is one of the best on the internet. I feel like I can fit in and find lots of people with the same interests as myself. Not only that, but many have been or are in similar life situations, so it's not just about games here, it's bout people.

I simply Googled "Japan video games" trying to see if I could find some good places to buy in Osaka, but I came across CAG and thought, well, why not give this trading thing a shot. It was slow going at first being an international trader, but thanks to some people taking the risk with me, I have since been able to build a fairly solid trade reputation here.

I love it. Honestly, if it were not for CAG, I would probably not have been able to continue supporting my family and would have probably lost them by now. I'm sure I would be back in the U.S. struggling to earn enough money to show I could support bringing my wife and son over with green cards while they stayed in Japan slowly forgetting about me and we would grow apart. For more, read THIS , THIS and THIS.

I've never met anyone on CAG face-to-face, but there are literally dozens of people I would love to meet if I had the opportunity. As a matter of fact, I feel pretty safe in saying that my best friend in the world right now is a CAG that I have never actually had the pleasure of meeting.

1. Mainly, for the GGT. Also for deals.

2. The "Microsoft Live Search Club" of a couple summers ago. I joined to see that thread in the Contests forum.

3. It's a mixed bag. There are a lot of cool people, but there are also a lot of Internet Elitists and downright unintelligible posts.

4. I've met anyone off the boards (chats excluded), but I feel like I know the GGT regulars well enough, for fellow board posters.

[/quote]

To troll and get deals.

To get deals.

Not bad. Could be worse.

nope.

To save money on entertainment media, read up on my electronic & off topic news, and to play with fellow cheapassers.

I googled: "Video Game Deals" and this was the first thing the popped up.

At first I was just a troller looking over the deals, but then I found out about the off topic & specific video game console forums. So that led me to create an account to participate in the general discussion threads about games & to join in on the clan nights. I also post any deal that I find, that hasn't already been posted.

Very well behaved. However, there are a few people that I just don't get along with.

This website is where I've found almost all of my online friends.

Yes, I've met & played with a ton of people (100+) during my time at CAG so far. I also have some really good friends that I play with every night.

I currently am the leader of the PS3 Uncharted 2 & Modern Warfare 2 clan. Through those I have played with many gamers that share my interest in saving money on entertainment. I also plan on resurrecting some of the clans that are on hold from low turnout over the summer.

I am currently a member of a gameshare group (for the PS3) with 3 other people, all which are friends from CAG.

-----

Overall, this website is absolutely fantastic! I can't imagine what I would be doing if I didn't find this.

1. Best online game community forums. Best deals.
2. Found CAG in a search. Joined and stayed since.
3. Very good community. It's the best type of club. Don't talk about it though.
4. Just once, for a trade, a long time ago. People on here are fairly mature, witty, and open. I like reading the various discussion forums in general.

The site has evolved quite a bit, along with the world. We owe it to CheapyD.

Why do you come to CAG?
- The occasional cheap deal, video game disscusion, and trading

What made you start coming?
- About 6 years ago I googled "cheap Neo Geo Pocket" and lead me here. I liked the community so I stayed.

What do you think of the community here?
- I've never had a bad trade with another CAG so I've come to believe the majority of the community are honest people. There's the occasional ass-hat on the forums but for the most part I like the people on here. The crowd seems older and mature and full of characters.

Have you met people on here? Describe your relationship with them (good friends, talk here or there online, met in person numerous times to just chat, etc.)
- Once at a Circuit City clearance. But I've become friends with several people on CAG.

Replies in bold.

Why do you come to CAG?

Habit as much as anything. Been coming for a few years and have stuck around even though I'm not that big into gaming anymore. I enjoy the Off Topic and vs. forums, and the DVD/Blu Ray Deals forum since I'm still big into movies and TV.

What made you start coming?

Originally came for the game deals.

It's decent, especially for a gaming site. Not as much as the fanboy nonsense as other sites, and the community skews a bit older than some other gaming sites which I like being 31 myself. Still a lot of idiocy, so I just don't take the site seriously and make heavy use of the ignore feature.

Have you met people on here? Describe your relationship with them (good friends, talk here or there online, met in person numerous times to just chat, etc.)

Haven't met up with anyone other than a couple quick local trades. I do play Modern Warfare 2 (and MW 1 before) semi-reguarly with some CAGs on Xbox Live.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Deals and the lulz.

Deals.

Below average (and the average is pretty damn bad).

I've talked to some of the only decent people here on IRC, but not too often.

Deals

A google search result for a Rhino Videogames deal

The community is okay. Lots of wannabe mods. The community is ALOT better though than most gaming forums.

No I have not met anyone from these forums.

I really like discussing and being a part of the video game community. I like hearing other people's opinions on games and things and expressing my views. My best friends aren't huge gamers so I can't really talk to them about it. They don't share my excitement about new releases or finding a good deal. I come here because this is a place where everyone has something in common.

I came across the site on Digg.com - there was a deal on some game - I dont even remember - but it had a whole bunch of diggs. So I checked it out and came here every few days to see what kind of deals there were. Usually on Sunday - to sum up the deals in the newspaper.

Awesome. Great people.

I met a bunch of people on here that are now on my PSN or Xbox live friends list. Unfortunately I have a broken hand, so I havn't been able to actually play with them yet, but I really look forward to it.
I havn't met anyone is person but I regularly PM back and forth with a few CAGs

hope it helps
- Dom

Community

Deals

Good stuff

Yes, business related.

Thanks to everyone who has commented- some interesting stories coming out. I have finished the paper though and have already turned it in. If anyone is interested in reading it, I have created a blog solely for the purpose of sharing it with you guys.

http://thevideogameculture.blogspot.com/

Thanks again, and I welcome you to continue telling your stories or for any feedback.

EDIT: lol, didn't see you had already finished. Guess I'm late to the party :p

The great deals, (mostly) positive advice given by CAGers regarding deals and video game strategy, and eas of use with forum navigation/tools.

A link from Joystiq.com (a gaming blog) brought me here years ago and I've been hooked since.

Mostly honest, good-natured people just helping out like-minded strangers. Overall, CAGers look out for each other.

The most interaction I've had with a fellow CAGer outside of the forums was through XBLA or PSN, and only then a few times.

bread's done
Back