I can't connect to the Network, ive tried EVERYTHING!

dbrev42

CAGiversary!
My new router is a Belkin Wireless G , Model # F5D7234-4 v4 . Thats connected to my PC and dsl modem. Downstairs connected to my xbox is a linksys music bridge, ethernet cable into the xbox, power cord into the wall. My old belkin router worked great, till it started smoking due to my retardness of putting in the wrong ac adapter into it. :bomb: But im getting conserned, ive tried auto connecting to my router w/the xbox, nothing. I've tried manueling entering everything , nothing. Could me having two yellow cords upstairs have anything to do with my problem? Cause before I remember having one blue cord and one yellow one. I spent 2 hours on the phone w/microsoft and they could not help me. Then another hour on the phone with belkin. They even opened up all the router ports. Still nada. Keep getting the message " cannot find the ip address" or something. I am so frustrated...god modern warefare 2 and a new router and the damn thing wont connect! Whoever helps me figure this out will be my hero...:)

So the Linksys bridge connects wirelessly back to the Belkin? Sounds to me like a DHCP issue. Be sure that the belkin has it's dhcp service enabled. Also, you say it's a new Belkin so it should be off, but verify that MAC filtering is DISABLED. Another thing to check, would be to move your xbox and the linksys into the same room as your wireless. MAYBE the new wireless isn't reaching down to the xbox. Also, do you have access to a laptop with wireless?? You could use that to test the belkin as well. If the laptop connects fine, it's a problem with the linksys.

Those are just some things to check. I HATE troubleshooting wireless cause it ah has no wires. lol I recently tried to get my belkin wireless router to act as a bridge to my main wireless router in the house but after a few hours I gave up. So, today I ran cat5e throughout my house and now I have a connection right next to my XBOX. ;)

I cant even access my router ip settings now...even after i reset the modem! im loosing patience lol

Hard reset your router.Hold the reset button with a pencil or pen for 30 seconds-your router should be plugged in.Without letting go of the pen unplug the ac adapter from the router count to 30 again,without letting go of the pen plug in the ac adapter count to 30 once again and plug in the ac adapter count to 30 one final time then let go of the reset button.

30(router plugged in)/30 unplug router from ac adapter /30 plug in the ac adapter and let go of the reset button.

Not sure what you mean about two yellow chords.One yellow chord(cross over cable) should be connected to the router and the other chord(cat5 cable) should be connected to the back of your computer.

I think you might be using two crossover cables.Can you connect to internet on your main computer?
Can you take pictures?

Last edited by a moderator:
and also, i go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig, and i enter the default getaway in my browswer, and it brings me to my damn modem page!

[quote name='dbrev42']and also, i go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig, and i enter the default getaway in my browswer, and it brings me to my damn modem page![/QUOTE]

Sounds like your PC is connected directly to the modem?? If not, try disconnecting your router from the modem. On your PC do an ipconfig /release then an ipconfig /renew. You should now be able to connect to the belkin router.

Also, you don't need a crossover cable anywhere in your setup. Should be direct cable from your WAN port of the Belkin to the modem, then direct cable from your PC to Belkin.

Get your regular network functioning first, then worry about the wireless. EVERY Belkin I have ever seen has a reset button. It's a small pen hole button. Though usually a reset doesn't take all the powering off etc. just a push of the button for like 20 seconds while the router is powered plugged into power. Usually with default settings (after you reset the router), you would need to power off both the modem and router. Bring the modem up on power FIRST. Wait until your modem is connected to the internet (green light is solid for internet). THEN, plug in your router to modem. This is so the router gets it's IP address from the Modem. At this point your PC SHOULD be able to get ip from the Router. Also, at this point the wireless SHOULD be wide open.

Ok I did all of that. Still not working though. I do remember pushing the button and reseting my linksys wirelss bridge. Could I maybe have to configure the music bride again? also, does it matter what channel my router is on? Thanks for all the help guys.

[quote name='aihuman']Your wireless bridge needs to have the same radio channel,ssid as your router.[/QUOTE]
english please...lol sorry

Your linksys music bridge needs to be on the same channel as your router.If you reset your wireless bridge you need to reconfigure it(linksys music bridge).

okay io did that, both are on channel 1, the compute is picking up the wireless bridge signal from downstairs right now...but when I go downstairs and try and connect, still nothing.

i'm not sure, i just put the installlation disk into my computer with the bridge connected to the back of the router via ethernet cable, and changed the channel to 11 and saved everything that way. Then i unplugged it and brought it back downstairs.

You should look for a manual for your Linksys bridge (google search). It should have step by step directions for initial setup for the bridge. You are most likeley missing some settings (ssid, encryption, security, possibly gateway, subnet etc). Maybe the software for the linksys (you said you have a installation disc) has a built in wizard (most do). If not, maybe there is some downloadable software for your linksys (config utility).

I actually just got connected to live! After all these struggles, turns out alls i had to do was reset the xbox network settings back to defualt, ip and dns to automatic, and it went! :)

bread's done
Back