I did a bad thing and took advantage of the "system." Did I **** up?

icecubedx5

CAGiversary!
A few weeks back, I bought a PSP but I got really bored with it in like 2 weeks. No offense to the system, I just found that it wasn't as great as I thought. I thought I'd be constantly playing it but it collected dust. I knew that I couldn't get a full refund because the system has already been opened and played with. So I devised a plan. I called a few Best Buys and purposely went to the one that didn't have any PSPs in stock.

When I got to Customer Service, I said that my PSP d-pad wasn't working very good (to tell you the truth, it really didn't work good). I told them I wanted to exchange it for another (very well knowing that they didn't have any in stock). After they said they didn't have any, I made a very "sad, dissapointed look," and said, "Well can you at least give me the money back on a gift card with store credit because the warranty is almost up. That way I can get the PSP back when it comes in stock?" They gave it to me in store credit and if you really want to put it in simplest terms, I guess you could say the PSP was "rented" for a few weeks.

Basically now, I have like $300 in store credit to go towards like 10 DS games or a PS3 or a Wii. I kind of feel bad for what I did. I am not the type that thinks a big corporation is "faceless." There is someone who is always there to take the fall when something like this happens. I remember 2 weeks back regarding the thread about the Xbox 360 HDD Sears mis-print. How some kid tricked some old Wal-Mart grandma to sell him 6 HDD at $15 a piece, and proceeded to call her "stupid."

Did I fuck up? I guess I'm posting this here because I want to "guage" what I did and need your opinions.

If you really feel that bad about it, than you can buy another PSP with the credit (as that is what you said you'd do).

EDIT: Though the more important problem here is you paid full price for a PSP.

yeah, if it has only been 2 weeks, you are still allowed to return it.

I don't think you really did anything wrong, it's still store credit that you have to use at their store. They can probably get reimbursed for the defective PSP so they don't lose much if anything.

I thought your not allowed to return a system if its opened? What is to stop people from "renting" the system for free then? Not that I think so many people would take advantage but you never know.

You didn't do much of anything wrong since you had a problem with your PSP but where did you actually get the PSP from? A lot of places like walmart have a policy where you can return it within 30-90 days for a full refund. I had to do this with my first PSP because the screen had dead pixels which I could not get used to over the course of a week. If you had your recipt you should have been able to get cash back rather than a gift card.

I dont think you did anything that bad. If you really wanted to hate yourself you could've always tried to return it to Walmart without a receipt.

Key points:

1. You returned the system to them in acceptable working condition.
2. You returned it at the same store you bought it from. (flip-safe)
3. You gave them the choice to decide how to honor your request.
4. You got BB credit.

They'll most likely inspect it and sell it for a fraction cheaper than retail (or their new "free gift card" policy which sounds like rubbish), or return it to the MFG claiming it was defective and get their money back themselves. Theoretically speaking, of course.

This seems like a rather normal transaction that probably happens on a semi-regular basis at stores with no stock left of the item to exchange. The only difference is you knew they didn't have any in stock...well played.

If anything, they "****ed" you up. Since, as posted above, you could have simply returned the PSP and got your money back to spend wherever you wish. Now the money is tied into Best Buy.

Not a tragedy, by any means, but not as ideal as being able to spend $300 on slurpees or mortgage payments or whatever.

[quote name='icecubedx5']I thought your not allowed to return a system if its opened? What is to stop people from "renting" the system for free then? Not that I think so many people would take advantage but you never know.[/QUOTE]

Well, the people who want to "rent" a system for free probably can't afford to spend $129/249/399 in the first place. And while you can potentially "rent" a system, you cant returned opened games, so its not like you can rent the games to play on the system for free.

Places like Fry's will just take the item and mark 10% off or so and mark it open box.

Eh I wouldn't feel bad because the employees are not going to get in trouble on something like this. They would get in trouble if you put a brick in the psp box and brought it back and they didn't open the box and gave you back your money on a brick. As far as the Walmart employees that price matched the XBOX hard drives I kind of doubt they got in trouble too, because as far as I know they can't authorize a price change difference of more then like 10 dollars without a managers approval. If the managers aren't smart enough to follow their own policy and call on something like that then well maybe they really shouldn't be managers. The only problem you might have ethically wise is that you brought back a PSP and sort of fibbed about the dpad and used their inventory against them to get a full refund rather then eat a 15 percent restocking fee. I don't think thats a real big deal thou.

A few years ago I came up with this scheme to perpetually "rent" anything you wanted from Best Buy. I came up with this idea after buying and later returning a video card.

1) Buy item
2) Use item
3) 28 days later, buy exact same item again
4) Return this new item with the old receipt, keeping the new receipt for next time
5) Goto step 3

Eventually, you will be done with the item due to it being obsolete or Best Buy no longer having it in stock for you to "refresh" your receipt. Then you simply take your original item and return it with the most recent receipt. Get your cash back, buy something else, and start the process over again.

My opinion: Grow some fucking balls. If you felt THAT bad about it, you wouldn't have done it in the first place. Don't get on a message board and try to solicit a pat on the back. Stand up for what you do, good or bad. That said, best buy is the biggest bunch of fuck-nuts in the retail business, other than maybe gamestop. Whatever they get, they had coming to them. Besides, BB isn't out anything. They'll just return it to Sony. And there is NOTHING wrong with fucking over the pricks at sony.

[quote name='mietha']My opinion: Grow some fucking balls. If you felt THAT bad about it, you wouldn't have done it in the first place. Don't get on a message board and try to solicit a pat on the back. Stand up for what you do, good or bad. That said, best buy is the biggest bunch of fuck-nuts in the retail business, other than maybe gamestop. Whatever they get, they had coming to them. Besides, BB isn't out anything. They'll just return it to Sony. And there is NOTHING wrong with fucking over the pricks at sony.[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to this guy.

Anyways, it was a bit deceptive as you weren't exactly forthcoming with the truth, but I think you're ok.

He made a purchase decision, then changed his mind. Someone is out money because of his poor decision. There is nothing morally correct about THAT.

Stop enabling this type of behavior. We all pay for it in the end.

[quote name='horrido']He made a purchase decision, then changed his mind. Someone is out money because of his poor decision. There is nothing morally correct about THAT.

Stop enabling this type of behavior. We all pay for it in the end.[/quote]

So, for example, I go and buy say a 20 dollar controller, and I decide I don't want it anymore and I get my money back for it within the stores time frame. You're saying that is "moraly wrong". You, my friend, have never experienced "buyers remorse"...

Unless there's some policy on consoles, I wouldn't have thought you'd even need to do all the theatrics. Pack it back together so it's in good shape, take your receipt, say, "Hey, I'd like to return this. It works fine, I just don't want it" and you should get your money back. If it didn't work well, and you didn't break it, then certainly tell them that so they don't sell it to someone else.
*shrug* I have no problem using a stores return policy [legitimately], though I do try to decide if I want something before buying it, though I do sometimes have second thoughts, or if the product isn't as I expected. I hate trying on clothes, so I'll just buy them, then try them on at home. I returned a shirt just last week that I did this with, even though it was my size, it didn't fit quite right.
Return policies can certainly be abused, but as long as you're complying with the fine print [receipt, complete, like-new, within time frame, etc], the line between 'use' and 'abuse' is a long one.

[quote name='horrido']He made a purchase decision, then changed his mind. Someone is out money because of his poor decision. There is nothing morally correct about THAT.

Stop enabling this type of behavior. We all pay for it in the end.[/QUOTE]

Wow kid, you sure are special.

As has been said NUMEROUS times in this thread, what he did, even without the excuse and "manuever", WAS NOT AGAINST BEST BUY'S RETURN POLICY.

bread's done
Back