I don't mean to burst your PSP battery bubble but...

pumbaa

CAGiversary!
Let's analyze the 4-6 hour battery life stat.

"In the words of the company, "PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides a play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing." These numbers, according to SCE, were determined with the system's luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2), volume set to half the maximum level, headphones used instead of speakers and wireless LAN not in use (note that the maximum luminance value rises to 200 cd/m2 when playing through AC power)" psp.ign.com

The 6 hour life was achieved through turning the screen to its lowest brightness. I haven't seen the screen, and from all the impressions I've gotten through various news sources... the great thing about the PSP screen is that is big, bright and beautiful. Most likely, these impressions were on either a PSP powered through AC power (200 cd/m2), or one on full brightness (180 cd/m2). I'd be pretty intrested to see that screen at its minimum brightness (80 cd/m2). If you've had any experience with gadgets and their screens (PDA's, Cell phones, etc.) , lowest brightness is rarely great for direct light situations. So 4 hours at full screen visibility (or near it anyways) and 6 hours at the most limited visibility is what we've got on our hands. DS's battery life is a claimed 6-10 hours depending on use. ((I'm assuming "depending on use" means that the lower end of the spectrum is with wireless connectivity on) Hopefully, Sony's stat is accurate like Nintendo's has proven (GBA and GBA:SP) and not overblown like most gadget makers (Apple's iPod, etc.)

Besides this one sticking point, Sony has started to convince me. Well done, the price is right (hopefully below $200 with everything I need to play), and the technology is without a double powerful (if not innovative). If UMD comes through as a viable portable movie storage option... I might just have to pick up a PSP when they come out here. Thoughts?

If UMD comes through as a viable portable movie storage option...

Are there any UMD burners out there? Can I play UMD movies on any other device I own besides the PSP?

No thanks, I wont be buying any UMD movies.

4-6 hours battery life blows. If I want to be out and about playing video games, I don't want to have to worry about my batteries running out. I might as well just take my iBook. It lasts just as long, I can watch DVDs (not UMDs) and I can cruise the CAG boards while I'm at it.

My favorite part about the GBASP is the battery life. I don't have to worry about for days on end.

Ill be too busy with DS to care about a system thats gonna cost $50 more to play it the way it should be. DS will come with metroid prime and as far as i know, everything ill want to play. I like sony alot but they love to make essential add ons and price them really high(do i hear a multitap?) besides that the games arent gonna be as great as the DS lineup(mostly due to exclusive nintendo games)IMO.

I believe that the Metroid game included is a demo but who cares. I'm sure the demo will tide me over until the full version comes out. I love the Metroid series so I may sound like a fanboy. But I have to agree just read one of the other threads. I don't really feel like typing all over again.

[quote name='int80h']Are there any UMD burners out there? Can I play UMD movies on any other device I own besides the PSP?[/quote]

No, and that's the point: to adopt a format that decreases the likelihood of piracy. Of course, nothing's ever foolproof, and if the units are manufactured in China, I suspect that the technology will eventually be leaked to the underground community. :wink:

The purpose of any proprietary storage format is usually twofold: a) to reduce the possibility of pirated alternatives, and b) ensure a consistent stream of revenue for the developer.

[quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

Unless, of course, it's convenient. Or cheap.

Looking at Sony's memory sticks, one could almost draw the conclusion that it is you that sucks.

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

Looking at Sony's memory sticks, one could almost draw the conclusion that it is you that sucks.[/quote]

Memory sticks =/= UMD. The analogy doesn't even make sense, especially since the memory stick is rewriteable and consumers can't write to UMDs.

That said...it's been mentioned on other sites that the Game Gear had a four to six hour battery life. It's beginning to look like the PSP might end up with a similar fate to Sega's handheld...

[quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

As opposed to what, the DS or GBA?

There's not a lot of viable options for handhelds in terms of non-proprietary technology.

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

There's not a lot of viable options for handhelds in terms of non-proprietary technology.[/quote]

Yes, but GBA and DS never claimed to have music and movie features. When consumers hear that a device is able to play music and movies... they expect to be able to put their own files on the device. That just isnt the case with PSP.

[quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

There's not a lot of viable options for handhelds in terms of non-proprietary technology.[/quote]

Yes, but GBA and DS never claimed to have music and movie features. When consumers hear that a device is able to play music and movies... they expect to be able to put their own files on the device. That just isnt the case with PSP.[/quote]

they never claimed this, yet there are a ton of GBA movies are there not?

SONY is smart with the UMD's. Nintendo loses millions each year because GBA games are so easy to pirate

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

Yes, but GBA and DS never claimed to have music and movie features. When consumers hear that a device is able to play music and movies... they expect to be able to put their own files on the device. That just isnt the case with PSP.[/quote]

SONY is smart with the UMD's. Nintendo loses millions each year because GBA games are so easy to pirate[/quote]

I'm not talking about prerecorded movies on a friken cart. I'm talking about the movies and videos on your computer, in the PSP.

Does everyone only play their portables without an adaptor? From time to time yeah if im going for a card ride or something, in which case GBA sucks anyway with no backlite. Doesn't anyone find themselves at home playing gameboy, and say "hey it would make sense to spend 20 bucks for an adaptor as opposed to $5 every week for batteries.

It makes more sense to have the adaptor because if your playing an rpg or something with 20 to 30 hours of gaming you'll fly through the batteries no matter what.

So all this PSP bashing is scared fanboys, for me at least i'll judge it on the games and how pretty the thing is and spend the 20 bucks on an adaptor and enjoy games for many long hours on end.

[quote name='jputahraptor']Does everyone only play their portables without an adaptor? From time to time yeah if im going for a card ride or something, in which case GBA sucks anyway with no backlite. Doesn't anyone find themselves at home playing gameboy, and say "hey it would make sense to spend 20 bucks for an adaptor as opposed to $5 every week for batteries.

It makes more sense to have the adaptor because if your playing an rpg or something with 20 to 30 hours of gaming you'll fly through the batteries no matter what.

So all this PSP bashing is scared fanboys, for me at least i'll judge it on the games and how pretty the thing is and spend the 20 bucks on an adaptor and enjoy games for many long hours on end.[/quote]

I think the point is that most people buy a portable to use when they aren't at home. I, for example, do most of my GBA playing in the car, or at school. In those cases, a decent battery must be nice.

Hey, dont diss the Gamegear. It was great... if you had the 3lb battery pack that screwed to the back. Ahh, that reminds me, did anyone ever have a TV tuner for their gamegear? I looked everywhere for one years ago, but never saw them in stores.

[quote name='jputahraptor']Does everyone only play their portables without an adaptor? From time to time yeah if im going for a card ride or something, in which case GBA sucks anyway with no backlite. Doesn't anyone find themselves at home playing gameboy, and say "hey it would make sense to spend 20 bucks for an adaptor as opposed to $5 every week for batteries.

So all this PSP bashing is scared fanboys, for me at least i'll judge it on the games and how pretty the thing is and spend the 20 bucks on an adaptor and enjoy games for many long hours on end.[/quote]

A couple of things. Bring the GBA into the equation does not make for a valid argument. Everyone knows the original GBA was hard to see without direct light, the SP rectified that. Also... I don;t know how you use your portables, but I have NEVER played my GBA with an adapter connected to it. The point of a portable gameing system is to not have anything connected to it. Even when I was playing FF:TA, I still played the GBA disconnected. Please if I'm just the only freak out there that doesn't ever play his GBA connected to the wall, flame the hell out of me. But I doubt thats the case.

Fanboy has nothing to do with it, because I already commented that I was probably going to buy the damn thing.
::rant off::

[quote name='levi333']Hey, dont diss the Gamegear. It was great... if you had the 3lb battery pack that screwed to the back. Ahh, that reminds me, did anyone ever have a TV tuner for their gamegear? I looked everywhere for one years ago, but never saw them in stores.[/quote]
i know it was great but it failed,

I usually play my GBA unplugged even at home because if I have to leave the room I want to be unteathered. Maybe I'll do it occasionally but I dont look to plug it in everytime I pick it up.

The only real issue of the UMD quite simply is will it afford me a better gamming experience? That has yet to be determined, will a constant;y spinning portable drive break down? Will it deliver immersion people seek? Is it just useless bloat for a portable game?

No one knows untill the game is releasd. Even saying It's a Portable PS2 game dosent fully define what the experience will be like because there are games you can play on a screen in your hands and some you want a nice confortable chair and a big screen tv with a bowl of popcorn to play.

anyone who still buys alkaline batteries is a moron. With all the crap that uses batteries in my house I own like 20 Ni-MH batteries and a charger that charges 4 in like 2 hours.

L53421.jpg

get one of these and you won't need to be jacked into a wall.

[quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

SONY is smart with the UMD's. Nintendo loses millions each year because GBA games are so easy to pirate[/quote]

I'm not talking about prerecorded movies on a friken cart. I'm talking about the movies and videos on your computer, in the PSP.[/quote]

You mean bootlegs?

Neither Sony nor Nintendo support bootlegs. You have to buy their products.

Your argument is really weak (and ignorant).

We were taliking about that last night at work (we being myself and a group of engineers). The overall opinion is that you need to buy the extra battery - they believe you are looking at a 'real life' use of 3-4 hours per charge.

Great release price. I think I will pick one up when they hit stateside.

Looking at Sony's memory sticks, one could almost draw the conclusion that it is you that sucks.
How can you defend UMD with a straight face? If I own a movie on DVD, I have to buy it again on UMD to watch it on my PSP, and I can only use it on my PSP? Thats bullshit. If they want to use their silly proprietary crap for their games, thats fine. But don't advertise the ability to play movies, then lock me into a format that only you use.

MDs are already big in Japan, I bet that the majority of titles will be anime, and all the otakus will go import crazy.

The PSP will probably sell better in Japan due to that fact but stumble out of the gate here. That doesn't change the fact I'm going to buy a PSP.

[quote name='Alpha2']I usually play my GBA unplugged even at home because if I have to leave the room I want to be unteathered. Maybe I'll do it occasionally but I dont look to plug it in everytime I pick it up.

The only real issue of the UMD quite simply is will it afford me a better gamming experience? That has yet to be determined, will a constant;y spinning portable drive break down? Will it deliver immersion people seek? Is it just useless bloat for a portable game?

No one knows untill the game is releasd. Even saying It's a Portable PS2 game dosent fully define what the experience will be like because there are games you can play on a screen in your hands and some you want a nice confortable chair and a big screen tv with a bowl of popcorn to play.[/quote]

All moving parts break at some time...so yes it will break eventually.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

I'm not talking about prerecorded movies on a friken cart. I'm talking about the movies and videos on your computer, in the PSP.[/quote]

You mean bootlegs?

Your argument is really weak (and ignorant).[/quote]

Your argument is also really weak and based on the assumption that he was talking about bootlegs. There is also the possiblitly of movies burned from a video camera or nonproffesional movies. Also the "fair use" of dvd's is still undecided, with video tapes many years ago it was decided by the courts that you are allowed to record a copy for personal use.

[quote name='dafoomie']

How can you defend UMD with a straight face? If I own a movie on DVD, I have to buy it again on UMD to watch it on my PSP, and I can only use it on my PSP? Thats bullshit. If they want to use their silly proprietary crap for their games, thats fine. But don't advertise the ability to play movies, then lock me into a format that only you use.[/quote]

agreed.

I don't think it make sense to have a portable machine play DVD movies because you lose a lot of the portability with it. I think thats a reason to use UMD. Since there is no other option the UMD makes sense. Plus, the majority of people will just be using the PSP to play games.

I agree with people who don't like the UMD format. However, in all fairness to Sony, what viable, low-power, small-form-factor portable storage options are out there that can store 1.5GB (I think that's the capacity)? If anyone has any other ideas on this, please advise as I would like to know.

Wow.....so many Nintendo fanboys.....sad......
I'm going to get PSP because for $30-$50 more than the DS I can watch movies, listen to music, and play PS2 quality games. Not only that the touch screen is a gimmick.....They haven't found a good use for it yet, which is why I wont get it........I mean using the stylus in MP:H to turn and tap to shoot...WTF is that! I know there is a different control scheme but you still have to use the stylus.....Maybe when they find a GOOD use for the touch screen I might get it but for now...PSP for me.
BTW the person that said on page 1 that you can't rewrite on the umd's but can on the memorysticks.........DUH thats what its supposed to be...can you rewrite on GC games? Xbox games? PS2 games? Thats what I thought.

[quote name='whoknows']BTW the person that said on page 1 that you can't rewrite on the umd's but can on the memorysticks.........DUH thats what its supposed to be...can you rewrite on GC games? Xbox games? PS2 games? Thats what I thought.[/quote]

You, sir, are talking out of your ass.

I believe Sony has neither confirmed nor denied that memory sticks could be used for MP3 playback. However, when you look at the official spec sheets posted up at IGN, you'll notice that it only lists UMD music play back and UMD movie playback, which implies that memory sticks will be used as memory cards and that's it, which would be great, if it wasn't the only way to bring MP3 or ATRAC (I assume the PSP will support Sony's proprietary format) music onto your PSP without purchasing another unit.

Making the comparison with home console games makes no sense. Why the fuck would someone want to place MP3s and movies on a GC, XB, or PS2 game disk? As you would say, DUH they wouldn't want to, because these three machines don't make the assertion that they playback movies and MP3s that are stored specifically on their respective game disks.
Also, nobody said anything about re-writing a game disk, which makes your point even more nonsensical. It was talking about a separate UMD writer that could only write blank disks with music and movies.

Do you even read complaints you are arguing against before giving your uneducated reply? That's what I thought.

[quote name='whoknows']
BTW the person that said on page 1 that you can't rewrite on the umd's but can on the memorysticks.........DUH thats what its supposed to be...can you rewrite on GC games? Xbox games? PS2 games? Thats what I thought.[/quote]

You can't even begin to grasp comprehension of the concept, so I wouldn't worry about that.

[quote name='pumbaa']
Besides this one sticking point, Sony has started to convince me. Well done, the price is right (hopefully below $200 with everything I need to play)[/quote]

If 211 USD +tax is below 200, they sure did nail it.

[quote name='johnnyc']I agree with people who don't like the UMD format. However, in all fairness to Sony, what viable, low-power, small-form-factor portable storage options are out there that can store 1.5GB (I think that's the capacity)? If anyone has any other ideas on this, please advise as I would like to know.[/quote]

UMD isn't exactly low power, if it was, this battery life thread wouldn't exist :)

UMD seems fine for gaming, it's just the promises of movie/music shit that pisses me off with the format. Music and movie playback features just seem like superfluous additions that few will use. Personally, I'd rather that they leave this out.

PSP is an Adult Toy. And I would like to make the direct comparison between it and PocketPC. In respect to the battery... I watch movies on my PPC every day on my way to work: 1 hour and on my way home: 1.5 hours
with plenty of battery life to play a game or 2 while sitting on the toilet when I get home.
I am guessing you will be able to convert movies to whatever format the PSP will be and load them onto the memory stick. If this is not the case, I will have to wait for a year or so until somebody hacks the shit out of it and makes it less of a monopoly.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll'][quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

You mean bootlegs?

Your argument is really weak (and ignorant).[/quote]

His argument might have taken the wrong tack there, but I believe he is right. By saying that the PSP will be able to play digital music, you have to assume they mean the MP3's on your computer. Or CD's. Neither of which the PSP can accommadate. And when they say it can play digital movies, the average person is going to expect that means DVD's. I'm all for piracy protection, but to claim that UMD is some sort of wunder-media that will take over the world and everyone will re-buy their movie collection is just stupid.

I don't think people will rebuy thier movie collection. There will probably be a way to move the data from one format to another. It is digital afterall which allows for that ability to occur.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='eldad9'][quote name='BigNick']UMD is crap. Sony sucks. They try to push off their proprietary technology, and people dont want that.[/quote]

Looking at Sony's memory sticks, one could almost draw the conclusion that it is you that sucks.[/quote]

Memory sticks =/= UMD. The analogy doesn't even make sense, especially since the memory stick is rewriteable and consumers can't write to UMDs.[/quote]

Never fault my analogies. the comment I replied to was about proprietary hardware, not read-only media.

Just realizing something very very bad...
Sony doesn't even support MP3's so the likelyhood of this thing doing much of what I want it to do is slim.

[quote name='whoknows']Wow.....so many Nintendo fanboys.....sad......
I'm going to get PSP because for $30-$50 more than the DS I can watch movies, listen to music, and play PS2 quality games. Not only that the touch screen is a gimmick.....They haven't found a good use for it yet, which is why I wont get it........I mean using the stylus in MP:H to turn and tap to shoot...WTF is that! I know there is a different control scheme but you still have to use the stylus.....Maybe when they find a GOOD use for the touch screen I might get it but for now...PSP for me.
[/quote]

I am admittingly a Nintendo Fanboy and I have enough discrenary income to justify the purcahse of both the PSP and the DS. That being said, I am cautiously approaching the DS. At launch, it doesn't appear that either system has a strong library and as you stated, the sylus is a gimmick.

Until I actually can see developers using the dual screens & stylus in innovative ways, I cannot justify the purchase. Eventually it will happen, but certainly not at launch.

As for the PSP, I don't care if it can play movies in a format that I will never take advantage of -- I just want to be able to play "quality" games. Again, I don't know that either system will be providing that immediately.

I agree with mrnomis 100%. I don't care about UMD or MP3 or stylus, etc. I just care about the games and I'm not going to get MAD about Sony or Nintendo because they are adding other things.

[quote name='whoknows']Wow.....so many Nintendo fanboys.....sad......
BTW the person that said on page 1 that you can't rewrite on the umd's but can on the memorysticks.........DUH thats what its supposed to be...can you rewrite on GC games? Xbox games? PS2 games? Thats what I thought.[/quote]

This is so wrong. You sound like the fanboy to me. I have yet to see if anyone has tore this bit of crap apart but here we go.

So because they havent gotten any "good games" that you know about in the pipeline you wont buy it. Let me refresh your memory it has the "standard" buttons and control pad also, just like every other gaming device. But that doesnt count right? Somehow the PSP's is the same control but better? Then you go on to mention a new way of control (ie metroid) and its not good enough? What crap fanboy talk is this?

First its $30-$50 more (assumed lets wait and see shall we?) for the basics. If you want to play games and thats it. If you want to listen to music you must buy their memory card, crap if you want to save a game buy a memory card. Thats +~$25 off the bat.

Sony makes junk I have a lot of their stuff and thats where it stops. I simply refuse to support a company that puts out unreliable equipment. Not to mention that they are trying to push the envelope to far and do to many things. I am worried about reliablity with this.

They are trying to take on the portable DVD market but I dont have to hold my portable DVD player in my hand it sits on my lap/dash/car seat and the screen angle adjusts so I dont have a neck ache. The psp is flat therefore will need to be held up by me for 2 hours (not gonna happen), or I have to lay it flat and sit there awkwardly looking at it..... or they relase a stand and I can adjust the angle but then its lost its portability and I need a case to hold the PSP and stand. Oops there goes more money for a carrying case, and UMD movie playing stand.

Lets not even get into the fact that I cant rent any UMD movies and if I buy a UMD movie for my PSP (whats the price for this anyway?) thats all I can do with it is watch it on a small ass screen, with small ass speakers.... Or are they going to release 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound kit for it? Once again losing its portability. Sorry I prefer my $3000+ surround sound system at home for any blockbuster movies.

Then music is extra so figure in the price of those. If the gadget doesnt take off who is going to spend their time and money making a album or even a movie available on a UMD device? Not many. Other option is to possibly download from your pc to the device. Alright.....What are you going to do listening to music? The ipod wont skip but the PSP might (umd songs). Say you've recorded music to your memory stick ok a viable option, if its available. But then battery life comes into play, also dont just throw it into your pocket with say your keys the screen might get scratched up.... unless you buy a screen cover WOW theres some more money out the door on a needed "extra".

Then I hear this crap about the GBA and GBA SP have been very succesful with remakes... Yes YES they have. Want to know why? Because the remakes didnt come out last year on the gamecube. They came out 15+ years ago and most people that own a GBA or SP have yet to play them. Why would I go out and buy a game for full "new" price that is in the bargain bin for the PS2 that I may have played a year or two ago just to play it again? I wouldnt and if someone does then they either really like that game, or have a lot of disposable income....or are going to have financial problems in the future with their debt/income ratios. This makes no sense once again. The DS is offering at least 6-7 year old remakes and NEW games with NEW possibilites that no one has ever experienced.

On top of that someone had mentioned how can you look at two screens at once what a gimmick. Well wait and see. We will adapt and will be playing those games without a problem. Part of the fun is in the challenge of learning something new.

Now you mention the stylus for shooting. Have you done that before? Crap when we went from 2 buttons on the Nes to 6 buttons on the SNES I had a hard time initially, but now 8 buttons+ is not a problem. Its all part of learning.

Go get your PSP and watch the few movies you buy for it. Be my guest.

In response to "Snakes" comments:

You make several valid points, however I have to believe that the engineers/R&D team at Sony have carefully plotted a lot of the issues you have in regards to viewing the screen, optomizing battery life, et cetera.

I don't disagree with your assesment of the PSP, but you seem to be laying a pretty heavy hand on CAG member whoknows.

It appears that the PSP and DS are after two disctinct markets. That being said, "whoknows" may fall more in line with what the PSP offers. From what I can tell you are more of a DS guy.

In the end I find it silly to disregard someone else's genuine concerns of the DS (whether they are a PSP fan boy or not).

Bottom line will be the games. I am not interested in the PSP, but can appreciate the impact it may have on the handheld gaming market. How many bad GBA games are out there? Hopefully this renewed competition will alleviate a lot of the fluff.

Sorry to break up the argument, but does anyone know what the price for the games will be? The UMDs may be cheap to produce, but development costs are probably close to those of current-gen console games. With all these recent announcements, the only thing stopping me from running to Gamestop to reserve a PSP is the fear that the games will be $50.

bread's done
Back