i got scammed X[. Need advice.

idd0tt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
222 (100%)
Stupid ebay seller offers to sell me a cell phone and didn't make a ebay auction because they didn't want to pay for the fees. I paid through paypal, but the paypal address ended up being someone elses. asshole made me pay for something he bought. I spent $181 for the damn cell phone. I filed a dispute on paypal, but since it wasn't the seller's paypal am I screwed?

[quote name='idd0tt']Stupid ebay seller offers to sell me a cell phone and didn't make a ebay auction because they didn't want to pay for the fees. I paid through paypal, but the paypal address ended up being someone elses. asshole made me pay for something he bought. I spent $181 for the damn cell phone. I filed a dispute on paypal, but since it wasn't the seller's paypal am I screwed?[/quote]

on the real though how and why did you fall for that?

Charge back though

i seriously thought that paypal address was his. I didn't pay with a credit card, i used funds i had in my paypal account and money from my bank account.

Not that it is CAG related, but ask Shrike and Pookymeister for advice. Also maybe Will - he might know a thing or two in this situation.

yeah the phone was originally $250, but he bumped it down to $181 shipped. do you think it would be effective if i reported it to IC3? i have the dude's address and everything but its in indonesia so i don't know how to read it at all.

[quote name='idd0tt']...i have the dude's address and everything but its in indonesia...[/quote]

You are screwed right there unless you can get PayPal or your bank to do some kind of reverse due to fraud.

I guess this is a lesson learned. Sorry it happened.

eBay's likely going to laugh at you for violating their TOS (circumventing eBay to avoid PayPal fees).

You could try emailing the person you paid to (as you're essentially a third party, he may be helpful to you - if you were paying for something that your "seller" bought, tell him not to ship yet).

I would email the guy who you sent the payment to and explain the situation. Maybe, if some way, you can show that that the address associated with your PayPal is not the one the seller is sending to (as the seller would be sending to the scammer's addy). Try and forward him the emails the scammer sent you too.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']You got hosed... Paypal ain't gonna do shit![/quote]

hate to say it but I think he's right. Only thing I could think of is a charge back or getting the payment reversed from your bank. Yeah you could forget about contacting eBay.

So if I my skills of deduction are correct:

OP buys a phone from the scammer on eBay.

Behind closed doors, the scammer buys a phone from a legit seller.

Scammer gives OP legit seller's PayPal address.

Legit seller receives funds from OP and sends phone to scammer.

OP is out $181.

If that is the case, do as Vinny suggested and contact the legit seller you sent money to and tell him you not to send the phone out and give you back your money. That makes little sense though unless the seller is a complete dumbass. If some guy buys my phone but wants me to send it to Indonesia and some other random guy is the one that actually pays me, I'd be so suspicious I'd look into everything before I sent the phone out.

You're up shit creek without a paddle

For anyone who has done a reversal through the bank, doesn't Paypal count that against your account in some way or another?

in my opinon the only offender here is the dumbass who mailed the phone to a different address than the one linked to the paypal account that sent him the funds. He should be the one taking the loss and also who paypal should reprimand, not the OP.

i mean think about it, you make a deal with someone for an item, they tell you to ship it to the other side of the planet, and the payment is from a dude in California? That wouldnt raise a red flag or at least cause you to reconfirm with the sender of the funds? Riiiight. Like i said the only person who should be eating this loss is the one who mailed the phone.

the dude already shipped it to the indo dude. honestly i'm more pissed about the fact that i got scammed into this rather than the loss of money. thanks to everyone for reminding me that i'm an idiot, no pun intended

[quote name='idd0tt']the dude already shipped it to the indo dude. honestly i'm more pissed about the fact that i got scammed into this rather than the loss of money. thanks to everyone for reminding me that i'm an idiot, no pun intended[/quote]

File a claim with PayPal anyway. I think the only person that is screwed is the seller. I'm pretty certain PayPal will side with you.

bread's done
Back