I guess the $10 coupon wasn't so bad for Best Buy after all

Demontooth

CAGiversary!
Best Buy raises 4Q profit outlook

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8FLQTR84.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db

FEB. 9 4:06 P.M. ET Consumers' growing appetite for flat-screen TVs led Best Buy Co. to boost its fourth-quarter earnings outlook, sending its shares up 8 percent in late trading.

The nation's biggest consumer electronics chain also credited strong gift-card spending and tighter expense controls for raising the range of its earnings expectations Thursday.

For the quarter ending Feb. 25, Best Buy projected earnings from continuing operations of $1.25 to $1.30 per share, versus its previous view which called for earnings at the high end of a $1.06 to $1.16 per share range. For fiscal 2006, Best Buy forecast earnings from continuing operations of $2.24 to $2.29 per share.

Analysts' average estimates are $1.16 per share for the current quarter, and $2.14 for fiscal 2006, according to a survey by Thomson Financial.

In the prior-year period, the retailer reported adjusted earnings from continuing operations of $1.04 per share.

Sales in stores open at least one year -- a closely watched performance gauge called comparable sales -- are expected to increase 6 percent to 7 percent in the fourth quarter, up from a previously forecast 3 percent to 5 percent range.

Darren Jackson, chief financial officer, said comparable store sales rose by the low double-digit percentages in January on the strength of flat-panel televisions, portable audio players and video gaming.

CEO Brad Anderson credited the company's ongoing effort to convert its stores to focus on particular customer groups, such as soccer moms or small-business owners, for the improved outlook.

He said the company plans to keep it up in fiscal 2007, by building more Magnolia Home Theater sections into an unspecified number of existing stores and by adding elements of its Best Buy for Business division, which includes Geek Squad technical support, to more than 120 U.S. stores.

"Additionally, we're gearing up to open a record number of new stores in the coming year as we continue to grow our business," he said in a statement.

Best Buy announced that it planned to open nearly 90 new stores in the United States and Canada during its 2007 fiscal year. Most of the stores were scheduled to open in the third quarter, in time to catch the holiday shopping season.

In a research report released Thursday, Piper Jaffray analyst Mitchell Kaiser wrote store openings exceeded his expectations and he praised the focus on the Magnolia and business-to-business divisions.

"We applaud the customer centricity focus on the Magnolia and Best Buy for Business segments, which in our view are the most impactful segments," Kaiser wrote. "For Magnolia, our optimism is due to the HDTV cycle and services/installation component and for Best Buy for Business of the Geek Squad focus."

Best Buy shares rose $3.95, or 8.1 percent, to $52.78 in late afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange, near the upper end of the stock's 52-week range of $31.93 to $53.17.

LOL...I don't know of any soccer moms that would walk into a Best Buy and walk out with a flat screen television. They seem to do everything in their power to make their store seem like its "the place to be" for upscale, high-income people. The store around here isn't like that at all.

[quote name='Plinko']LOL...I don't know of any soccer moms that would walk into a Best Buy and walk out with a flat screen television. They seem to do everything in their power to make their store seem like its "the place to be" for upscale, high-income people. The store around here isn't like that at all.[/QUOTE]

Soccer mom's are clueless so yeah, they'd never walk out with a nice thing. They'd probably buy a roadshow TV with a built in VCR because that's the kind of people they are. They are worthless.

Whether we used the coupon or not, Best Buy barely makes any profit on video games, so it's a non factor into the equation.

Besides, every time someone used the $10 coupon, they were probably getting the game under cost to begin with.

[quote name='Chacrana']What annoys the hell out of me is that they give credit to groups like Soccer Moms...[/QUOTE]

To best buy they're sucker mom's.

Let's not forget they refuse to send rebates. I've been waiting 6 months for a $150 rebate check, and there's been a ton of drama behind it. I'm pretty close to filing a small claims suit on principle.

[quote name='rodeojones903']And they are also cutting our hours like mad, go figure.[/QUOTE]

It really is amazing how much effort these big-box retail stores put into finely tweaking and trimming their employee hours. I would love to see a truthful press release mention this fact.

(using Home Depot because I worked there for a year and know first hand that using less employee hours is the #1 priority there)

FEB. 9 4:06 P.M. ET - Employees' shrinking hours led Home Depot Inc. to boost its fourth-quarter earnings outlook, sending its shares up 8 percent in late trading.

The nation's biggest home improvement chain also credited strong rounds of firings and tighter monitoring of the time clock for raising the range of its earnings expectations Thursday.

[quote name='Chacrana']Soccer mom's are clueless so yeah, they'd never walk out with a nice thing. They'd probably buy a roadshow TV with a built in VCR because that's the kind of people they are. They are worthless.[/QUOTE]

ya know, i bet my mom would love one of those. heh

bread's done
Back