I had an incredible find today.

Curlis

CAGiversary!
I made a run to my local Half-Price Books store to check and see what they had (I check about once every week or two). I looked down and to my amazement, there was a Suikoden II guide for sale. My jaw dropped just seeing it and dropped all the way to the ground once I saw that it had a price tag of $1. That's right, a $40 guide for $1. I am so incredibly happy right now, I had been looking for the guide for 2-3 years and it finally paid off.

I do suggest checking your local used book stores every once in a while because you are sure to find some deals there. I have also found some other pretty good deals at my store, but this one is probably the best one yet. I don't think guides get much more expensive.

Now, I'm finally off to play through the game a second time with the guide.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']ya, at my local half price books i found the valkyrie profile guide for 99 cents too.[/QUOTE]

Nice
I found a copy myself for about $8 at a Toyriffic. Those are expensive too!

who the hell needs a guide? who pays forty when you can get the same information online for free? Its kinda like paying for the priviledge of drinking out of a drinking foutain that everyone else drinks out of for free but you got to be "official" about it.

[quote name='urzishra14']who the hell needs a guide? who pays forty when you can get the same information online for free? Its kinda like paying for the priviledge of drinking out of a drinking foutain that everyone else drinks out of for free but you got to be "official" about it.[/QUOTE]

Because it has pictures and everything. Also, if you wanted a walkthrough for a whole game...you'll either have to go to your computer alot, or print out a ton of sheets of paper.

Although, I'd never pay full price for a guide, its nice to have them one you only pay a buck or two for them.

I personally like having a full color guide when I play games, however except for RPG's and stuff, I usually don't buy many guides I usually wait for them to drop to a penny, or find em used :) That being said, getting that Suikoden Guide for $1 was a great find. I check Half Price Books and stuff often to look for rare guides, some RPG guides go for a lot of money on Ebay if I Can't use em for my own collection

[quote name='urzishra14']who the hell needs a guide? who pays forty when you can get the same information online for free? Its kinda like paying for the priviledge of drinking out of a drinking foutain that everyone else drinks out of for free but you got to be "official" about it.[/QUOTE]

It's basically the cost of nice looking pictures and maps. Also it's all printed out for you already and is easy to read and utilize. For $1, a guide is preferable over the internet version. If you have a laptop though, you shouldn't really need a guide but it's nice for the people who would have to run back and forth between computer and tv. I personally rarely need guides except for a puzzle every now and then in which I just use my PC.

[quote name='dastly75']It's basically the cost of nice looking pictures and maps. Also it's all printed out for you already and is easy to read and utilize. For $1, a guide is preferable over the internet version. If you have a laptop though, you shouldn't really need a guide but it's nice for the people who would have to run back and forth between computer and tv. I personally rarely need guides except for a puzzle every now and then in which I just use my PC.[/QUOTE]

no no .. i completely understand for a dollar its pretty neat.. but he said they go for 40 dollars online.. WTF?

Guides for RPG's tend to go for a lot of money once they go out of print, this is especially true of a lot of SNES and PSX era RPG's. A general rule of thumb, if the game goes for a lot of cash, the guide probably does too.

[quote name='ZForce']Guides for RPG's tend to go for a lot of money once they go out of print, this is especially true of a lot of SNES and PSX era RPG's. A general rule of thumb, if the game goes for a lot of cash, the guide probably does too.[/QUOTE]

A tip for y'all on that- make friend with the goodwill donations guy. See, they can't except 'magazines', and for whatever reason game guides count as 'magazines'. Which means if any get dontated, they're immedately thrown out, unless someone picks them up to take home after their shift.

Got a free Chrono Trigger SNES guide that way.
:)

Resale value. I sold my Suiko II guide for roughly 60 bucks. For a 99 cent find, that's a hefty resale value for the guy.

But to each his own, some go to Gamefaqs, some buy a guide, and some called the "Nintendo Power Hotline" back in the day when they got stuck in Wizards and Warriors II: Ironsword or in the damned Lost Woods in the first Zelda

[quote name='Skylander7']Resale value. I sold my Suiko II guide for roughly 60 bucks. For a 99 cent find, that's a hefty resale value for the guy.

But to each his own, some go to Gamefaqs, some buy a guide, and some called the "Nintendo Power Hotline" back in the day when they got stuck in Wizards and Warriors II: Ironsword or in the damned Lost Woods in the first Zelda[/QUOTE]

I didn't know it went for $60, even better! I like having guides for collecting purposes and I mainly buy them for RPG's. It's just nice having the guide right next to you with pictures and maps. Like someone else said, to each his own. Hell some people collect Pez Dispensers which I think is pretty crazy myself.

I used to have a bunch of guides, but my mom threw them out when she purged my magazine rack many years ago. I liked having the Chrono Trigger Nintendo Power guide as a testament to my obsession. The pictures were really nice too - they're not easy to find online really. Is the CT guide worth a lot nowadays?

Edit: Awesome find, by the way, Curlis. I usually go to those stores once every couple months to look for $1 game magazines with demo discs. I can't resist them for that price.

Great find OP. Personally, I found my Suikoden 2 guide earlier this year I believe (need to go check the receipt. It only cost me 1.99 at my Gamestop and was just sitting there at the top of a bunch of guides. Overall, it's in great condition for how old it is, with just some dings at the bottom of the guide. The only other guide that is rare that I'm still hoping and looking for is a Valkyrie Profile guide. Wish I had a half-price bookstore around here. I'd be checking every other week as well if I knew I could get a guide like this there.

bread's done
Back