I had to put my rat to sleep today

gareman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I didn't think it would be this sad but it is.

He is the guy in my avatar eating Elmo

Not that anyone cares.....

RIP CRIME
2007-2008

sorry, i have four hamsters and would be sad to lose one. though I do suspect Elmo is rather happy that Crime is no longer around

I have had ratties for many years now (different batches of course), and it is always terribly sad to see them pass. You get as attached to them as you would a dog or cat, but they only live 2-4 years. I am not ashamed to admit that I cry every time.

I usually have 3 rats at a time (and I do now), and everytime a group dies, I swear I won't get any new rats after that because of how sad it is. But then a couple of weeks later, I get all new rats, and I feel a lot better! Baby ratties are really good at cheering you up.

I use to think rats were disgusting like most people. Then I saw some at the pet store while getting dog food and those things are surprisingly cute. They remind me of those little teddy bears I had as a kid. It would be cool if you could teach them to fetch and do backflips like dogs.

willard.jpg

Do you look like this? Sorry to here about your furry friends untimely passing.

I loved the hairless rats we had at our pet shelter a while back. It was funny when they would nibble on my finger. Not fun when they would bite nail and all

I had two cats die in the last year or so.

One of our cats, Norman, was a pure bread Norwegian forest cat (this looks like him). He was huge, loved the outdoors, and was really grumpy. We noticed that his breathing seemed off, like he was having trouble. It got worse, and eventually it could barely move or breath. At this point, we took him to the vet where they did an x-ray and discovered that he had severely advanced lung cancer, something that's somewhat common in pure breeds. Right as they were put to get ready to put him to sleep, though, he died in the vet's office.

One of my other cats, Bubbles, was a really lovable kitty who was just excited all the time. He stopped eating or pooping, so we took him to the vet. They couldn't find anything, but thought it may have been some dental floss, which can clog up a cat's intestines. Eventually, he started to pass it, and we would just cut it off. He seemed to get better for a while, but then suddenly started losing weight again and died soon afterwards. What made it particularly sad was that he was close to one of our other cats, Sassy, and she was never the same after he died.

[quote name='evanft']I had two cats die in the last year or so.

One of our cats, Norman, was a pure bread Norwegian forest cat (this looks like him). He was huge, loved the outdoors, and was really grumpy. We noticed that his breathing seemed off, like he was having trouble. It got worse, and eventually it could barely move or breath. At this point, we took him to the vet where they did an x-ray and discovered that he had severely advanced lung cancer, something that's somewhat common in pure breeds. Right as they were put to get ready to put him to sleep, though, he died in the vet's office.

One of my other cats, Bubbles, was a really lovable kitty who was just excited all the time. He stopped eating or pooping, so we took him to the vet. They couldn't find anything, but thought it may have been some dental floss, which can clog up a cat's intestines. Eventually, he started to pass it, and we would just cut it off. He seemed to get better for a while, but then suddenly started losing weight again and died soon afterwards. What made it particularly sad was that he was close to one of our other cats, Sassy, and she was never the same after he died.[/QUOTE]

Dude I have a forest cat! they are awesome

I haven't lost a pet since i was 12. So it was kinda shocking today at how sad it really was, and also because it was my pet and not a family pet (not to say its not just as sad) but I guess you feel the full responsibility.

When I was 10, I had a dog for like a month. The dog died shortly after of heart worms, and I cried for 3 more months.

And the really sad part is, my dad said he took it to the vet to put it asleep. (It was so sick. All it did was throw up and sleep.) But then, about 2 months ago, he tells me he just drove in to the rich part of town and kicked it out the door. :whistle2:( I feel so bad for that dog.

[quote name='SeanAmI']Not kind of, he is an asshole.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree there. I think some people are missing the empathy gene, probably born that way. I know some have it for humans, but I have it for all living creatures. I could never do that, I wouldn't be able to live with myself wondering about the little guy lost in the world, confused and alone.

Animals, in my opinion, are like children afterall, especially in their innocence. It would be like me dropping a toddler off in the park after hours and driving back home and sleeping soundly without a care.

[quote name='Kelegacy']Gotta agree there. I think some people are missing the empathy gene, probably born that way. I know some have it for humans, but I have it for all living creatures. I could never do that, I wouldn't be able to live with myself wondering about the little guy lost in the world, confused and alone.

Animals, in my opinion, are like children afterall, especially in their innocence. It would be like me dropping a toddler off in the park after hours and driving back home and sleeping soundly without a care.[/quote]

Exactly. That is really awful. A domesticated animal that sees you as a leader and on top of that is very ill is just abandoned to die....how much more of an innocence life can you take.

For what....saving the 80 bucks it takes to put it asleep?

[quote name='SeanAmI']Not kind of, he is an asshole.[/quote]

This.

---

And I'm sorry about your pet, gareman. That sucks. :whistle2:(

Sorry to hear about your rat. We've had two albino ones as pets in my family and it was hard to put them down. I liked them a little more than the guinea pig we had. I had a little more fun with the rats. All the guinea pig usually did was sit in you lap. It was cute though when my dad took a nap, he got the guinea pig out and it would go to sleep right along with him. I didn't play with the guinea pig as much since I started noticing it bothering my allergies. I'm not sure if it was the guinea pig or the bedding that was bothering me.

i had to put my dog down about a week and a half ago.....

If you love your pet you love your pet, it doesn't matter if it is a flea or an elephant, you are going to be hurting when he's gone.

[quote name='Rocko']Your dad's kind of an asshole.[/QUOTE]

Not really. We just didn't have the money to put it down, so he figured some rich person would. :lol: I mean, if I saw a dog dying in my front yard and I had money to fix it, I would.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Not really. We just didn't have the money to put it down, so he figured some rich person would. :lol: I mean, if I saw a dog dying in my front yard and I had money to fix it, I would.[/QUOTE]

You didn't have 50 bucks? You rationalizing it makes you an asshole now.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Not really. We just didn't have the money to put it down, so he figured some rich person would. :lol: I mean, if I saw a dog dying in my front yard and I had money to fix it, I would.[/QUOTE]
You think it's okay to take a dog that is clearly in agony and kick it out on the street because, hey, maybe someone else will kill it?

You would've been better off killing it yourself. I hope you don't have any other pets.

OP, do you have any visible pictures of the rat? I've never had a rat, but back in 8th grade my science teacher had 2 rats named Frick and Frack. They were pretty damn cool. Rats are cool, but I just can't see one as my pet. Just not as fun as a dog. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how you feel having to put your rat to sleep. I had a hairless rat several years ago, very sweet rat. Eventually Harriet got what I assumed to be cancer and died. Not pleasant at all as I really loved that rat, so I feel for you man.

[quote name='gareman']I didn't think it would be this sad but it is.

He is the guy in my avatar eating Elmo

Not that anyone cares.....

RIP CRIME
2007-2008[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard when a pet passes away. I've never had a pet rat, but it seems like they would be sweet animal to have as a pet.

I really enjoyed the movie Willard. I really felt sorry for him.

bread's done
Back