I hate America, and no, I am not moving ::SNICKERS AD RANT::

fenderhutz

CAGiversary!
I just read an article that the Snickers commercial during the Super Bowl was considered Homophobic and the ad got pulled......

IT WAS A JOKE......COMEDY......They didn't call each a homo or queer and beat the crap out of each other. I have friends that are gay and laughed out loud at this commercial. I am tired of this liberal bullshit and people that nothing else better to do than complain and water down the society we live in.

Kurt Vonnegut was a true prophet if you have ever read Harrison Bergeron.

I implore you to read this short story and see the horrible truths. (keep in mind it was written in 1961)
http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html

I am overweight, all of the weight loss devices on TV that show a fat balding guy sitting on a couch eating chips offends me. Please do away with all of these commercials as well. See how stupid this sounds. IT IS COMEDY, NOT HATE.

Sorry for the rant.

EDIT: I actually like America, just not the 85% of the idiots that inhabit it.

Finding anything offensive is wrong, other than blatantly hateful racist things like Mein Kampf or whatever.
However, stereotypes shouldn't be offensive.

Wait... people have passionate feelings one way or another about a candy bar commercial? That's why I hate America!*

* For the Homeland Security CAGs, I don't really hate America **

** The fact that a guy feels like he has to qualify statements like that kinda makes me hate America ***

*** Er... See * above.

[quote name='fenderhutz']I am tried of this liberal bullshit and people that nothing else better to do than complain and water down the society we live in.
[/QUOTE]

Guffaw!?

I agree OP. People will get their panties in a bunch about anything, and its pathetic.

[quote name='2poor']What commercial?[/QUOTE]

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=lVofL7loiIY[/media]

they mentioned this on the view and how the glad said it could create anit homosexual sentiment in america( being that seeing this commercial will make peopel anti gay) and also it makes people think 2 guys kissing is a bad thing lol. which is funnny because they also mentioned how they showed football players watching it during the superbowl and how they made disgusted faces. so basically its up to gays to let us know when its ok and not ok to not be into gay things.

[quote name='lokizz']they mentioned this on the view and how the glad said it could create anit homosexual sentiment in america( being that seeing this commercial will make peopel anti gay) and also it makes people think 2 guys kissing is a bad thing lol. which is funnny because they also mentioned how they showed football players watching it during the superbowl and how they made disgusted faces. so basically its up to gays to let us know when its ok and not ok to not be into gay things.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can't imagine that their expressions were in disgust about any "gayness." More like disgust about how gauche candy bars are. These guys are flippin' millionaires. They got class and refinement.

...err... you watch The View??? :rofl: That could be its own spin-off thread!

Anyone who has seen this commercial knows that there is absolutely no comedy to be found.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched broadcast television in 8 years and have likely not seen any commercials since that time. If all commericals are this terrible these days, then ignore my post. Hell, ignore it anyway.

[quote name='Scobie']Well, I can't imagine that their expressions were in disgust about any "gayness." More like disgust about how gauche candy bars are. These guys are flippin' millionaires. They got class and refinement.

...err... you watch The View??? :rofl: That could be its own spin-off thread![/quote]

eh i watch it every now and then depending on the guest yeah laugh at me people i watch the freakin view sometimes. this time i caught it in the middle of their super bowl commercial and i stopped to watch it. another funny thing to mention is rosie odonnel admitted when she first saw the commercial she didnt think anything of it it wasnt until after she read the letter the angry gay group wrote in protest to the commercial that she got offended and many of her friends felt the same way. so long story short it wasnt untill they were basically told or signaled that they should be outraged or offended that they got offended.

but like alot fo you i thought the commercial was stupid as were the alternate endings for it. the only funny commercial for the superbowl was the one with the mouse being used as a mouse.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Okay, how was that homophobic?[/QUOTE]

Because it presents two males kissing as something completely revolting, disgusting, and shameful. Think of the reaction "quick, do something manly" (and also that it implies that sexual orientation is directly related to concepts of "manliness"), and compare the two guys' reaction to movies in which an "accidental heterosexual" kiss occurs. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I am recalling vague visions of a guy and a girl kind of fumbling awkwardly and going about their daily business (but secretly savoring the moment), and that scenes of this nature are typically the sort of "beat you over the head" style of foreshadowing, and that the two invariably develop feelings for each other over the course of the movie. No woman was ever clobbered with a crescent wrench because she accidentally kissed Rick Moranis.

That's what's homophobic about this; the relative use of the kiss for heterosexuals and homosexuals, the notion that it's shameful and disgusting to kiss someone of the same sex, and the insistence that "manliness" is the antidote for something as appalling as homosexuality.

OP, I'm sorry you feel so oppressed to live in a nation that you can't listen to Skrewdriver records, laugh at nigger jokes, make fun of the queers and camel jockeys, and have those sorts of attitudes reinforced in the media you take a part in. Part of what it means to be an American, in an ideal sense, is that all men (well, people) are created equal - that your notions of male superiority, white cultural dominance, religious dominion of christianity, and sexual normativity of being straight get thrown out the fuckin' door, otherwise you're violating the very goddamned spirit of this fucking country.

You're, I assume, the same kind of person oblivious enough to watch NBC, ABC, CBS, and every goddamned all white folks all the time channel, yet see fifteen seconds of the BET channel and grouse that "there's no such thing as the *WHITE PERSON'S CHANNEL*!!!!!!!!!!!" Gimmie a break; your hegemony ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon, so stop feeling so emasculated.

[quote name='mykevermin']Because it presents two males kissing as something completely revolting, disgusting, and shameful. Think of the reaction "quick, do something manly" (and also that it implies that sexual orientation is directly related to concepts of "manliness"), and compare the two guys' reaction to movies in which an "accidental heterosexual" kiss occurs. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I am recalling vague visions of a guy and a girl kind of fumbling awkwardly and going about their daily business (but secretly savoring the moment), and that scenes of this nature are typically the sort of "beat you over the head" style of foreshadowing, and that the two invariably develop feelings for each other over the course of the movie. No woman was ever clobbered with a crescent wrench because she accidentally kissed Rick Moranis.

That's what's homophobic about this; the relative use of the kiss for heterosexuals and homosexuals, the notion that it's shameful and disgusting to kiss someone of the same sex, and the insistence that "manliness" is the antidote for something as appalling as homosexuality.

OP, I'm sorry you feel so oppressed to live in a nation that you can't listen to Skrewdriver records, laugh at nigger jokes, make fun of the queers and camel jockeys, and have those sorts of attitudes reinforced in the media you take a part in. Part of what it means to be an American, in an ideal sense, is that all men (well, people) are created equal - that your notions of male superiority, white cultural dominance, religious dominion of christianity, and sexual normativity of being straight get thrown out the fuckin' door, otherwise you're violating the very goddamned spirit of this fucking country.

You're, I assume, the same kind of person oblivious enough to watch NBC, ABC, CBS, and every goddamned all white folks all the time channel, yet see fifteen seconds of the BET channel and grouse that "there's no such thing as the *WHITE PERSON'S CHANNEL*!!!!!!!!!!!" Gimmie a break; your hegemony ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon, so stop feeling so emasculated.[/QUOTE]
/threadover

[quote name='mykevermin']You're, I assume, the same kind of person oblivious enough to watch NBC, ABC, CBS, and every goddamned all white folks all the time channel, yet see fifteen seconds of the BET channel and grouse that "there's no such thing as the *WHITE PERSON'S CHANNEL*!!!!!!!!!!!" Gimmie a break; your hegemony ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon, so stop feeling so emasculated.[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='mykevermin']That's what's homophobic about this; the relative use of the kiss for heterosexuals and homosexuals, the notion that it's shameful and disgusting to kiss someone of the same sex, and the insistence that "manliness" is the antidote for something as appalling as homosexuality.[/quote]
Unless they're women. Then it's "fukken awesome, duuuuude". ;)

But wow, thread over. Thank you, Myke. :applause:

[quote name='mykevermin']Because it presents two males kissing as something completely revolting, disgusting, and shameful. Think of the reaction "quick, do something manly" (and also that it implies that sexual orientation is directly related to concepts of "manliness"), and compare the two guys' reaction to movies in which an "accidental heterosexual" kiss occurs. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I am recalling vague visions of a guy and a girl kind of fumbling awkwardly and going about their daily business (but secretly savoring the moment), and that scenes of this nature are typically the sort of "beat you over the head" style of foreshadowing, and that the two invariably develop feelings for each other over the course of the movie. No woman was ever clobbered with a crescent wrench because she accidentally kissed Rick Moranis.

You're, I assume, the same kind of person oblivious enough to watch NBC, ABC, CBS, and every goddamned all white folks all the time channel, yet see fifteen seconds of the BET channel and grouse that "there's no such thing as the *WHITE PERSON'S CHANNEL*!!!!!!!!!!!" Gimmie a break; your hegemony ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon, so stop feeling so emasculated.[/quote]

I am a musician, go to drag queen shows with my wife to take pictures (she is a photographer). Never watch network television (I just happened to be at an in-laws house). It was a commercial, not a political statement.

So I guess YOU assume that every time a man kisses another man it is because of true love and wouldn't be revolted the same as if you had accidently kissed a person of the opposite sex you had found unattractive. I also assume you are the kind of person that finds Jeanine Garafalos humor actually funny because she can nothing better than bitch about her surroundings without looking at everyones point of view because it's me me me.

The spirit of this country was founded on the notion that if someone has an idea whether good or bad, they have the freedom to express it (in public or in private). The commercial was an OBVIOUS parody of Lady and the Tramp. I read the commercial as two guys that work together, see a candy bar, want it badly and meet in the middle causing an uncomfortable situation. Like most of my male friends (gay or not) if you make mouth contact even by accident it would be awkward.

As you assume I am a white mullet wearing redneck with a tattoo of jesus crucified on a swastika on my arm with a louisville slugger in my car for any unassuming person that doesn't share my values. Oh yeah I have a white hood in my car too.

Insteading of being a grump, be constructive. Instead of attacking someone look how narrow your point of view is. Never assume someone is a bigot/racist/homophobe unless you know it for a fact because it makes you look like a judgemental idiot, just with clever wording.

[quote name='fenderhutz']because it makes you look like a judgemental idiot, just with clever wording.[/quote]

It is very clever wording.

Getting upset at an advertisement is silly.

Getting upset at people getting upset at an advertisement is silly.

Demeaning someone for getting upset at people getting upset at an advertisement is silly.

This board is silly.

Snickers are really bad for you. What I find offensive is that they're still being marketed as a good snack to just grab and start munching on. Mmmm, heart disease.

[quote name='fenderhutz']The commercial was an OBVIOUS parody of Lady and the Tramp. I read the commercial as two guys that work together, see a candy bar, want it badly and meet in the middle causing an uncomfortable situation. Like most of my male friends (gay or not) if you make mouth contact even by accident it would be awkward.[/QUOTE]

Totally spot on. It would be the same if you were a gay guy and accidently kissed a woman (how that happens, I don't know).

I was listening to O&A today and lil Jimmy Norton had the best joke:

Snickers should do an ad where they have a fat guy who lost his feet to diabetes shoving a snickers in his mouth - all with the tagline "not going anywhere for a while?"

As for the commercial being pulled, maybe it is on network, but on cable channels it's on. I saw it at least 3 times while watching kickboxing at the gym tonight.

You're, I assume, the same kind of person oblivious enough to watch NBC, ABC, CBS, and every goddamned all white folks all the time channel, yet see fifteen seconds of the BET channel and grouse that "there's no such thing as the *WHITE PERSON'S CHANNEL*!!!!!!!!!!!" Gimmie a break; your hegemony ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon, so stop feeling so emasculated.[/QUOTE]

really well said

I don't hate America... really, I just hate Americans...

holy shit, that sounds worse now. Seriously, we probably have the highest concentration of stupid people on the planet.

The point is that they are stupid for caring that they looked gay, and for trying to look manly as a result. The guys in the commerical are supposed to be dumb.

It reminds me of that scene in Train Planes and Automobiles.

You know what I find offesive, that there's no good comedies any more. Back in the 80's you'd never guess that Eddie Murphy would be doing Disney movies, but, here we are.

It's all watered down bullshit now and I can't get into any comedies now because they're just not funny. Some are passible but that's all they are barely tolerable with the same rehashed jokes.

[quote name='fenderhutz']Instead of being a grump, be constructive. Instead of attacking someone look how narrow your point of view is. Never assume someone is a bigot/racist/homophobe unless you know it for a fact because it makes you look like a judgemental idiot, just with clever wording.[/quote]

that's his shtick, near as i can tell. snap judgment followed by a largely irrelevant essay. people don't seem to mind, since it is cleverly worded most of the time.

First of all, people are uptight and it's absolutely pathetic that the ad had to be pulled.

Two men that are bothered by kissing one another has absolutely zero relation to how they feel about other people doing it.

If you try and go above and beyond the message that was there, you're reaching.

What Myke said was perfect. Most of the people in here don't see it as a big deal because we live in a society where the majority of people are heterosexual.

Are we all so vulnerable as to feel that 30 or 60 seconds of video is something that needs to be fought over and debated?

Do people not understand that to someone straight, homosexuality is a fairly revolting thing? That's why you're straight. Because you don't enjoy the same sex in a romantic/sexual way. The commercial is no more offensive than someone eating a food they don't like and being disgusted.

People have their preferences, but apparently when it comes to things like homosexuality, you're not allowed to express a negative preference, otherwise you're homophobic. Just absurd.

[quote name='fenderhutz']I just read an article that the Snickers commercial during the Super Bowl was considered Homophobic and the ad got pulled......

IT WAS A JOKE......COMEDY......They didn't call each a homo or queer and beat the crap out of each other. I have friends that are gay and laughed out loud at this commercial. I am tired of this liberal bullshit and people that nothing else better to do than complain and water down the society we live in.

Kurt Vonnegut was a true prophet if you have ever read Harrison Bergeron.

I implore you to read this short story and see the horrible truths. (keep in mind it was written in 1961)
http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html

I am overweight, all of the weight loss devices on TV that show a fat balding guy sitting on a couch eating chips offends me. Please do away with all of these commercials as well. See how stupid this sounds. IT IS COMEDY, NOT HATE.

Sorry for the rant.

EDIT: I actually like America, just not the 85% of the idiots that inhabit it.[/quote]
wait i thought it was the conservatives who had heart attacks when they saw anything remotely homo on TV? (which is ironic since 1/2 the repub leadership are closet cases *pun intended* :lol:

both try to control people, just in different ways. liberals want to allow any expression. conservatives want every1 to conform.

I'm just glad I can't understand comedy and took it at face value that gay=disgusting, not that het dudes are panicky idiots about their sexuality, to the point of reverting to fratboyism when it's ever in doubt. I hope it's replaced with my favorite commercial, the Mellencamp Chevy one.

also i think this is just a marketing trick. they pulled it just to create stupid conversations like this thread and get people to say and think about SNICKERS Brand Chocolate Bar

same crap w/ the "wardrobe malfunction" trying to sell albums or create some sort of engineered outrage publicity stunt.

people are so predictable. 1984 here we come

[quote name='jer7583']Are we all so vulnerable as to feel that 30 or 60 seconds of video is something that needs to be fought over and debated?

Do people not understand that to someone straight, homosexuality is a fairly revolting thing? That's why you're straight. Because you don't enjoy the same sex in a romantic/sexual way. The commercial is no more offensive than someone eating a food they don't like and being disgusted.

People have their preferences, but apparently when it comes to things like homosexuality, you're not allowed to express a negative preference, otherwise you're homophobic. Just absurd.[/QUOTE]

That bold part? You just defined homophobia, so, yeah, actually, it's very difficult to have a negative preference and not be homophobic. Like it's difficult to be vegan and eat hamburgers.

You can not be homosexual, or you can not be heterosexual. But to assume that one doesn't prefer something immediately justifies a fear and hatred and a sickening psychological response is absurd and incorrect. Think of all the things in life that you don't hate but don't want to do. Like hanggliding, dressing up as an emo kid, standing in lines, listening to lousy opening acts at concerts, etc. Just because you aren't a part of a group, that doesn't justify this feeling that "different than you = bad" and that it's acceptable to hate and loathe them. It's precisely what homophobia is: the fear and hatred of homosexuals, coupled with the belief that it is unnatural, shameful, abnormal, and something less viable than heterosexuality.

Your argument is akin to saying that it's possible to hate all people of a certain race and not be a racist. It's just inescapable.

I'm a straight man, and I don't find homosexuality revolting. I do find PDA revolting, no matter the degree (a kiss at the airport is as nauseating as the couple fucking on the couch at the club), no matter the sexual orientation, and no matter how attractive the participants. You're making this dismal assumption that straight people have to be revolted by homosexuality. That's simply not the case. Consider people who have fetishes - chubby chasers, for instance. I certainly share nothing in common with their sexual interests, but I respect that they pursue what they're interested in. Do you hold disdain for chubby chasers, or do you happen to be one yourself? Your the one who set up this "if you aren't with us, you're against us" mentality, so I'm just wonderin'.

shmitty, I know my m.o., and I fully accept it. Doesn't bother me one bit if I come off as snotty, as it's kind of a silly thing to hold up against me when the entire premise of this thread is some sort of pent-up-aggression released on the assumption that a candy commercial is harmless and innocuous.

OP, I don't give a good goddamn if you snort meth at the bathhouse with a queen named "Scirocco" (and in the end, your pithy "defense" is the same sort of nonsense that happens when people say things like "I'm not a racist, but..." or "I have lots of black friends...," two phrases which commonly precede a statement which is amazingly racist in its content. You're the one who started this thread, up in arms, that this commercial was objectively not offensive. I gave you reasons that it was offensive, and was a jerk in the process. You can be cranky that I'm a jerk, and that's all well and good. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, though. If you still think the commercial is harmless, tell me where I'm wrong.

I just would have broken off part of the candy bar at the beginning. Possibly punched the guy as well. Or, being a mechanic, used a torque wrench.

I imagine a lot of people would have done the same given a similar situation.

/doesn't care to enter the argument at hand

[quote name='mykevermin'] and compare the two guys' reaction to movies in which an "accidental heterosexual" kiss occurs. I can't think of any off the top of my head[/quote]

060209_ladytramp_bcol.standard.jpg

[quote name='Strell']I just would have broken off part of the candy bar at the beginning. Possibly punched the guy as well. Or, being a mechanic, used a torque wrench.

I imagine a lot of people would have done the same given a similar situation.

/doesn't care to enter the argument at hand[/QUOTE]Strell, that is offensive to people with temporomandibular joint disorder. Did you ever consider that maybe they couldn't bite down because of the pain associated with temporomandibular joint disorder? This is clearly what the commercial was about and you're being really insensitive to TMD sufferers.

[quote name='jmcc']Strell, that is offensive to people with temporomandibular joint disorder. Did you ever consider that maybe they couldn't bite down because of the pain associated with temporomandibular joint disorder? This is clearly what the commercial was about and you're being really insensitive to TMD sufferers.[/QUOTE]

TMD sufferers are lazy and drink milk shakes all the time.

Also they are poor.

And ugly.

How many TMD sufferers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Nobody knows!

[quote name='Strell']TMD sufferers are lazy and drink milk shakes all the time.

Also they are poor.

And ugly.

How many TMD sufferers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Nobody knows![/QUOTE]How dare you, sir! How dare you and this commercial!

[quote name='jmcc']How dare you, sir! How dare you and this commercial![/QUOTE]

JUST GO HAVE SOME MASHED POTATOES WILL ALL YOUR TMD FRIENDS.

That's why everyone calls 'em Taters! And Buttermonkeys.

fucking buttermonkeys. Mashing all the potatoes. YUR STEELIN' FRUM AMERICANS.

[quote name='mykevermin']shmitty, I know my m.o., and I fully accept it. Doesn't bother me one bit if I come off as snotty, as it's kind of a silly thing to hold up against me when the entire premise of this thread is some sort of pent-up-aggression released on the assumption that a candy commercial is harmless and innocuous.[/quote]

at worst, i called you irrelevant but entertaining.

[quote name='mykevermin'] If you still think the commercial is harmless, tell me where I'm wrong.[/quote]

You don't see douche commercials during a Nascar race, you don't see tool commercials during soap operas during the days.

Somewhere in the marketing department, they decided as much as this might piss someone off, the super bowl is mostly watched by a heterosexual male population. Yes women watch it, and yes homosexual people watch it, but as a majority it (the commercial) was made for the heterosexual male. They even might have thought that ANYONE may have liked the ad if they were smart enough to realize it was a spoof of Lady in the Tramp. You have to realize there is a reason they have to warning labels not to use the hair dryer in the bathtub and people can't put 2 and 2 together.

It's the same as making the assumption that because a BMW commercial has a white man driving the car they are making the assumption a minority can't afford it.

I am not saying the commercial was pure genius by any stretch of the means, but it wasn't offensive.

I would like everyone with a substandard IQ to raise a fist and resist because of the GEICO ads that makes us assume hairy men with clubs are complete dumbasses and as a nation we can't think for ourselves to really know that the caveman isn't really that oppressed.

[quote name='fenderhutz']You don't see douche commercials during a Nascar race, you don't see tool commercials during soap operas during the days.

Somewhere in the marketing department, they decided as much as this might piss someone off, the super bowl is mostly watched by a heterosexual male population. Yes women watch it, and yes homosexual people watch it, but as a majority it (the commercial) was made for the heterosexual male. They even might have thought that ANYONE may have liked the ad if they were smart enough to realize it was a spoof of Lady in the Tramp. You have to realize there is a reason they have to warning labels not to use the hair dryer in the bathtub and people can't put 2 and 2 together.

It's the same as making the assumption that because a BMW commercial has a white man driving the car they are making the assumption a minority can't afford it.

I am not saying the commercial was pure genius by any stretch of the means, but it wasn't offensive.

I would like everyone with a substandard IQ to raise a fist and resist because of the GEICO ads that makes us assume hairy men with clubs are complete dumbasses and as a nation we can't think for ourselves to really know that the caveman isn't really that oppressed.[/QUOTE]

I think you're failing to grasp Mykevermin's point. He is not asserting that the 2 men kissing is the offensive part. Everyone knows that's just a fun spoof of Lady and the Tramp. The part that's offensive is the aftermath where they must "quick, do something manly" because apparently, according to Snickers, its incredibly destructive to one's masculinity to accidently kiss another man.

[quote name='lokizz']they mentioned this on the view [/quote]

:lol:

Is that the same View in which Rosie O'Donnell made insensitive remarks about the Chinese and now they want to talk about insensitivy to a different group? :roll:

[quote name='RedvsBlue'] its incredibly destructive to one's masculinity to accidently kiss another man.[/quote]

Wouldn't you at least wipe your mouth if you smacked lips with someone you didn't really care to?

It's a commercial, like all commercials they overdo things.

bread's done
Back