I hate Group Projects!

ttriber

CAGiversary!
Well I'm at a Junior College trieng to get my AA to move on to a University but boy do I hate college.

First Off I get paired with 3 people who seem lazy as hell. So I've been making some phone calls to see when everyone can meet up but it seems only 1 guy has time to meet up with me tommorow. What it gets me frustrated is that the paper is due in a week!! The topic is about Fetishes either it be Foot Fetishes, BDSM, leather. This is all for my sociology class what the professor wanted us to do was ask a bunch of questions to people who go to these night clubs but I'm not gonna go into one of these weird fetish night clubs nor am I the Age 19. So really is their anything else I can do I was thinking on going to the Library getting some info on these fetishes and writting it off.

[quote name='ttriber']Well I'm at a Junior College trieng to get my AA to move on to a University but boy do I hate college.

First Off I get paired with 3 people who seem lazy as hell. So I've been making some phone calls to see when everyone can meet up but it seems only 1 guy has time to meet up with me tommorow. What it gets me frustrated is that the paper is due in a week!! The topic is about Fetishes either it be Foot Fetishes, BDSM, leather. This is all for my sociology class what the professor wanted us to do was ask a bunch of questions to people who go to these night clubs but I'm not gonna go into one of these weird fetish night clubs nor am I the Age 19. So really is their anything else I can do I was thinking on going to the Library getting some info on these fetishes and writting it off.[/QUOTE]

What 18 isn't old enough to get into BDSM club? You could potentially just hang around outside and talk to the bouncer and people as they come in/ go out

As do i, as do i. I also seem to end up doing all the work. Never again though, i'm not being the one who carries the group.

I have a Strategy and Policy group project due in a week. The 3 of us have to analyze a Starbucks case, write a 20 page paper, and prepare/give a presentation over it. We really should get started on it.

On a side note, get your ass to those clubs man! Earn that A!

Our group project for my math class this year was analyzing the probability and strategy of Tic Tac Toe.

Yes, I'm serious. 4 pages on Tic Tac Toe.

[quote name='help1']You could just ask on here if you need to, and just say you did an online survey.[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea might just do that.

As far as going to one of these fetish night clubs I highly doubt I will ever go to one.

180495b.jpg

[quote name='ttriber']Well I'm at a Junior College trieng to get my AA to move on to a University but boy do I hate college.

First Off I get paired with 3 people who seem lazy as hell. So I've been making some phone calls to see when everyone can meet up but it seems only 1 guy has time to meet up with me tommorow. What it gets me frustrated is that the paper is due in a week!! The topic is about Fetishes either it be Foot Fetishes, BDSM, leather. This is all for my sociology class what the professor wanted us to do was ask a bunch of questions to people who go to these night clubs but I'm not gonna go into one of these weird fetish night clubs nor am I the Age 19. So really is their anything else I can do I was thinking on going to the Library getting some info on these fetishes and writting it off.[/QUOTE]
If this post is indicative of your writing skills, you're in trouble.

Anyways, the only thing you can do in a situation like this is to let your professor know who the slackers are. When I was in college, I never let anybody get away with slacking off on group projects (and fortunately, it rarely happened).

I've had worse group projects, like for my Project Management & Development class. I worked with two people (one I was friends with and they other I didn't have problems with). After the project, I highly disliked both and never wanted to talk to them again.

In my bio class in undergrad, I had 4 lab partners. 2 were juniors, 1 was a sophomore, and 2 were freshmen. Everyone contributed to the collection of data, and kind of left after class. After the 2 juniors and I did half of the lab reports, 1 of the freshmen realized he should probably be helping. To this day I have never learned the name of the other freshman.

I hated group projects and couldn't wait to graduate to get out of presentations. If I was in a group where I had an overbearing "leader" I would sit back and let them bark out orders and do the minimum. If I had a cool group everything went fine, but for shitty group work assignments I just took the approach as if I was doing it myself and worked ahead so my grade wouldn't suffer from other people falling behind.

By the way, don't expect people to change once you're in a grown up "adult" professional situation, some people will always straggle.

First Off I get paired with 3 people who seem lazy as hell. So I've been making some phone calls to see when everyone can meet up but it seems only 1 guy has time to meet up with me tommorow. What it gets me frustrated is that the paper is due in a week!! The topic is about Fetishes either it be Foot Fetishes, BDSM, leather. This is all for my sociology class what the professor wanted us to do was ask a bunch of questions to people who go to these night clubs but I'm not gonna go into one of these weird fetish night clubs nor am I the Age 19. So really is their anything else I can do I was thinking on going to the Library getting some info on these fetishes and writting it off.[/quote]

OP, I'm fascinated by your random capitalizations. Also, that project sounds very bizarre.

[quote name='Maklershed']OP, I'm fascinated by your random capitalizations. [/QUOTE]

Could your fascination be classified as a fetish?

Also...the Mr. T punching the shark makes me feel sleepy....very sleepy...

LoL @ sociology.

I wonder if the prof just wants to find the freaks in the class and surrounding area. I had a tenured prof in college who was this fat disgusting BO-smelling freak always chatting up the college freshman chicks - just insane.

I hear you. I really hate group projects. When I was in school, I had 4 or 5 group projects in the last semester before graduation and I wanted to cry. I usually have about an average of 3 group projects per semester once I hit upper division. It was very hard, but we managed to get it done. I'm the type of person who doesn't let the slackers get away. Yes, slackers exisit in every group, but they were whipped into shape.

I do one of the following:
1) Talk to the professor stating there are slackers in my group;
2) We don't put the slackers name on the paper and give warnings that this will happen because we all expect full participation from everyone (or don't give any warning - that's more interesting to see the slackers' faces);
3) We had the power to "fire" a person out of the group (my personal favorite).

There was group drama, but I didn't care. I don't see these people after graduation anyway. I was 1 semester away from graduation and I let my professor know that I don't have the tolerance for academic moocher. Also, I used the syllabus for my defense.

In my case, it's the group leader who is the slacker, so we pretty much do whatever we want. On the other hand, i've seen other group leaders really reading the riot act to members of their group. I wouldn't have taken it from them personally, considering it's a class and not our job. In cases like that, i'd have no problem with telling someone to go to hell.

You have to go to a BDSM club? I'd tell everybody involved, professor and groupmates alike, to go fuck themselves.

Update:

The one group member who was supposed to meet with me today went and we discussed the project. I told him I wouldn't go to any fetish nightclub and ask questions. I told him I'd do the 2 page essay and give information so that the other 2 in our group could do the power point and present the project.
He said he'd go to the club and ask the questions sounds like a plan hopefully it all pans out.

I teach college writing courses, and in one class there's a group project, but this one you've got sounds just nutty. Good luck with it!

[quote name='Panda']
I do one of the following:
1) Talk to the professor stating there are slackers in my group;
2) We don't put the slackers name on the paper and give warnings that this will happen because we all expect full participation from everyone (or don't give any warning - that's more interesting to see the slackers' faces);
3) We had the power to "fire" a person out of the group (my personal favorite).
[/QUOTE]

This is all good advice. When people come to me with #1, I still make them hand in work, but I give a big range since I know they were handicapped. Where in the end the person who did nothing gets the actual grade, I often bump those who did everything up since they did double work.

I WISH more people would do #2! I even tell them to write people up (I have a form and everything) but they don't want to be the cause of someone getting a bad grade. HUH? This person screwed them but they don't want to tell? Totally insane to me.

I also do #3. It's a business writing course, so I think it's only fair after paperwork has been filed to act as the business world would and fire people. I wish more people wrote others up, so I could enact it. I would really talk to the prof. Most have an idea but no proof of what's going down. I'd also document everything--emails, text messages sent but not responded to--as to do anything the prof will need a paper trail.

bread's done
Back