I hate HMV

intruder_xo

CAGiversary!
I was quite piss and mad yesterday with the HMV boxing day deals.

So here is a recap of the events, oh and feel free to tell me if you got screwed also on this deals. Btw this happen in a HMV on the south-shore of Montreal (the one in Brossard at the DIX30 shopping place).

- Decide to leave home at around 11h00am, just not sure how many people will be waiting there for the opening at 13h00.

- Stop at Burger King on the way there to grab some food (took the combo BK Stacker doiuble).

- Arrive at the parking beside HMV at around 11h20, saw nobody waiting so just stayed in the car.

- Decide to finally go wait outside at 12h00, since more car park around me and realise I was waiting in the back of the store, not the main entrance.

- The weather was damn cold, so I then proceed to wait for an 1h in the freezing weather.

- Slowly people start to arrive (didnt have a long line before 12h30)

- Some clerk came out twice to ask us what we were looking for, I told him I was coming for Prince of Persia PS3 and for the Wii Mario Galaxy and Brawl. Didnt wrote anything on his pas, as it was only for the Wii fit.

- I heard a few people in the back of me that came also for PS3 games.

- Finally the store open up at 13h00.

- I walk quickly to the shelf for the PS3 game, saw Prince of Persia, but realise it was those damn empty shell. Another lady looking at LBP was wondering the same thing.

- A clerk then told us to go ask at the counter, but damn by the few seconds I was looking at the PS3 shelf, the damn counter was already jam pack.

- Go at the counter to get serv, saw some guy asking for LBP, Prince of Persia and got it. I could see the stack... and guess what 1 DAMN COPY ONLY! Thats it, the rest were a bunch of 360 version (roughly a dozen). Another guy ask also for the same stuff, but the other clerk saw they were only LBP, no more Prince of Persia left. Ask the other clerk which told that clerk that he sold it already.

Damn piece of BEEEEEEEP! If they knew that had so few copies they should have wrote down our name and everything will have been fine.

I went to see the other HMV store at the end of the day but of course it was sold out. Dunno if they had more copies, maybe I would have been lucky at the other store. Will never know!

Ohhh and to make me even more mad, when I went back to the car I realise I have left the key on the ignition. Had to wait again for my wife to go back home to pick our second set of key.

Horrible experience at HMV!

How about you?

That really sucks man, I don't do very much shopping at HMV but I was very tempted to go and get Prince of Persia (360) after checking the HMV website I decided against it as my feeling was the supply was going to be way to low, hate promoted deals like that when they know the supply will not last an hour, guess this is part of the boxing day madness

Yikes, one might think that maybe if they have a deal this hot, the HMV's management would have let people know that those games weren't on the shelf but behind the counter.

Yah they told to go at the counter, but by the time I knew it, this was already too late. As soon as I step inside the store I should have go directly to the counter. They didnt told us before hand. And they had almost no copies of PS3 games, but seems to have more 360 stuff.

Yep, I feel the same and had the same experience. They ended up having 1 copy of SMG in stock and about 3 of GoW2 which were gone in about 10 seconds after the door opened. I still ended up taking the GoW2 display copy though since it was a good price.

Wow, that sucks. I was also tempted to go to the HMV in Dix30, but changed my mind at the last minute to go to EB Games in Montreal. I had to wait at least 30 minutes in line to get into the store. How was the EB Games in Dix30?

I went to EB first, then HMV. Could have had any of the $30 games in multiple quantity. I don't think anyone knew they were on sale there. They weren't marked at a special price in the normal game area. Some of them were at the end of an aisle marked, Don't know how many they had but there was more behind the counter. Only bought mario and LBP, nephews got way too many games for xmas. Suppose I should have bought a few to send to people, but from what it looked like here it seemed anyone who knew of the deal would get it.

I got a copy of PoP for PS3, they still had quite a few (I guess it was around 2pm). Also got my hands on 300 for 9.99$ on BluRay. Took me about 10 minutes to wait in line to get in the store, grab game/movie and pay, unlike the insane amount of time I spent waiting at EBgames...!

So pretty much a good experience at HMV!

[quote name='Hyunkel']Wow, that sucks. I was also tempted to go to the HMV in Dix30, but changed my mind at the last minute to go to EB Games in Montreal. I had to wait at least 30 minutes in line to get into the store. How was the EB Games in Dix30?[/quote]

Good ideas you didnt went there, unless you were looking for the 360 games. As for the EBGames, I went there with my nephew while we wait for my wife to bring us back the car key. Had to wait around 10mins freezing outside. Once inside it was pack from the counter until the door it some big line that seperate the store in half. Once you cross the line on either side it was fine. Didnt bought anything, was going there more for my nephew then for myself.

[quote name='matsam']I got a copy of PoP for PS3, they still had quite a few (I guess it was around 2pm). Also got my hands on 300 for 9.99$ on BluRay. Took me about 10 minutes to wait in line to get in the store, grab game/movie and pay, unlike the insane amount of time I spent waiting at EBgames...!

So pretty much a good experience at HMV![/quote]

From your location I guess you went to the Montreal downtown superstore right? I though about going there, but since my wife wanted to come along with her nephew she prefer I go on sout-shore. It seems I would have been better to have went Montreal 8-(.

[quote name='intruder_xo']From your location I guess you went to the Montreal downtown superstore right? I though about going there, but since my wife wanted to come along with her nephew she prefer I go on sout-shore. It seems I would have been better to have went Montreal 8-(.[/quote]

It was actually at Place Rosemère, I noticed I was luckier while shopping in the suburbs :p

That really sucks, you were the first and you didnt get what you wanted.
hmv am fail
I went to the downtown Montreal HMV, the line was big! The funniest thing is that they had some of the boxing day games on the shelves. I picked up PoP (360) and just like that, everything was gone. I saw some people dissapointed because HMV wasn't so organized about displaying games. Sad.

I feel bad for the guy, but I thought anyone who's ever looked at the games section in HMV in the past know that they keep games at the counter and empty boxes on the shelf.

I guess they assumed that if people were lining up they probably already knew about this policy. I guess you should have asked though how many copies they have because its not their fault they only had one copy.

I also had a crappy experience with HMV recently.

I received a few of their clearance games in my stocking this year, and one of them had no disc inside the box! I couldn't believe it. I'm guessing they have their own shrink wrapping machine as the game was covered in that crappy cheap stretchable material you usually see on select Ubisoft titles so that they can pack in a french manual/cover. However unlike Ubisoft, there was no plastic wrapping underneath the shrink wrap and those little Microsoft security stickers you see on every 360 game was completely missing.

Pretty disgusted that they are selling open-box items as "new" and in my case, a game without a disc. This type of shady business quickly reminded me of why I no longer shop at EB as they also like to re-wrap open games and then label them as new too.

I dread what sort of response they're going to give me over wanting to return a game that didn't have a disc; especially since it was the last copy so an exchange is out of the question.

It's all about expectations. Now naturally, shady business practices shouldn't fly no matter which business it is. But a company like HMV, of course their service on video games isn't going to be very strong. They're new to the game (no pun intended) and their focus is still clearly on music. I just consider HMV a bonus resource for some extra stock incase some of the better guys run out, but I would never expect much from them.

[quote name='CaptainCharismaCCC']I feel bad for the guy, but I thought anyone who's ever looked at the games section in HMV in the past know that they keep games at the counter and empty boxes on the shelf.

I guess they assumed that if people were lining up they probably already knew about this policy. I guess you should have asked though how many copies they have because its not their fault they only had one copy.[/quote]

Yah but they assume too much, since some of the games are really on the shelf. Depend on which one! Also they did bother to pass around to take a list, but only for the Wii fit, they could have done the same for the game they know they had in VERY LIMITED QUANITITY!

[quote name='matsam']It was actually at Place Rosemère, I noticed I was luckier while shopping in the suburbs :p[/quote]

I Live Near rosemere but the town that is next to it to the east.

The only thing i like about place rosemere Is:Gamestop

[quote name='Eoyote']I also had a crappy experience with HMV recently.

I received a few of their clearance games in my stocking this year, and one of them had no disc inside the box! I couldn't believe it. I'm guessing they have their own shrink wrapping machine as the game was covered in that crappy cheap stretchable material you usually see on select Ubisoft titles so that they can pack in a french manual/cover. However unlike Ubisoft, there was no plastic wrapping underneath the shrink wrap and those little Microsoft security stickers you see on every 360 game was completely missing.

Pretty disgusted that they are selling open-box items as "new" and in my case, a game without a disc. This type of shady business quickly reminded me of why I no longer shop at EB as they also like to re-wrap open games and then label them as new too.

I dread what sort of response they're going to give me over wanting to return a game that didn't have a disc; especially since it was the last copy so an exchange is out of the question.[/quote]

this... scares me, i baought okami New (ps2 version) from them, i didnt open it yet becasue im going to give it to a friend as a suprize gift ( he likes okami so much, played the wii V. but coudlnt find okami for ps2)

... i didnt open it yet, its like wrapped with another intruction book out side of the case... .... so... there might be a possibilty that there wont be a disk inside of it?

[quote name='Bencherstyle']this... scares me, i baought okami New (ps2 version) from them, i didnt open it yet becasue im going to give it to a friend as a suprize gift ( he likes okami so much, played the wii V. but coudlnt find okami for ps2)

... i didnt open it yet, its like wrapped with another intruction book out side of the case... .... so... there might be a possibilty that there wont be a disk inside of it?[/quote]

Hard to say. Mine wasn't wrapped in a second booklet like the example I used, so I'd say the situation is somewhat different.

However, when returning the game I caught a glimpse of just how crooked HMV (or at least my location) really is.

When I asked them if it this sort of thing happened often (selling a brand new game without the actual...game) they told me no. The clerk then pulled out this HUGE binder full of dozens of game discs. After turning several pages he finds the game that was supposed to be inside my case. He then tried blaming it on seasonal help.

Apparently the copy I purchased was their last, and as such was previously a display copy. I didn't really know what to say so I forgot to ask why there were dozens of other games that had been removed from their cases (they must have alot of display cases). The store was even kind enough to offer me the option of buying the disc, even letting me know it had been scratched up. Confused, I asked him if HMV sold used games. According to him and his binder full of OPEN, sratched discs, they did not.

So I ended up taking a refund. I'm hoping my situation (or location) ended up being that of an isolated case. However, I'm definitely going to be much more cautious when buying games from them in the future.

bread's done
Back