i hate when movies, shows, commercials dont properly represent video games

dank

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
what i mean is like, when they show someone playing a video game and you can tell that they arent actually playing. there was one show that showed someone playing xbox 360, but their controller was obviously not on. or theyll have some super lame beep boop sound effects and not actually show the screen. or someone just furiously jamming all the buttons on a controller. gah that shit always annoys me!!! we need to strive for accuracy portraying video games in movies, tvs, and commercials...just like they have for costumes and history in movies. i would be great at this job. video game playing accuracy consultant. i would make every scene featuring someone playing video games as realistic and accurate as possible.

[quote name='dank']what i mean is like, when they show someone playing a video game and you can tell that they arent actually playing. there was one show that showed someone playing xbox 360, but their controller was obviously not on. or theyll have some super lame beep boop sound effects and not actually show the screen. or someone just furiously jamming all the buttons on a controller. gah that shit always annoys me!!! we need to strive for accuracy portraying video games in movies, tvs, and commercials...just like they have for costumes and history in movies. i would be great at this job. video game playing accuracy consultant. i would make every scene featuring someone playing video games as realistic and accurate as possible.[/quote]

I think it has something to do with Royalty fees, permission from the companies and time.

Don't worry about it. You are watching the show for the show, not the scene where the 360 is being played!!

No no, he has a point.

You'll be watching a show and one of the characters will be like "I'm going to play some video games!"
They walk over, use the remote to turn on the TV and pick up a control and immediately begin sticking their tongue out and mashing every button they can hurriedly get their finger on.
Apparently, the system they're playing on has virtually no start up screen, nor does it have a menu. It just immediately skips to the most furious part of the game

And the only game that may require you to press a ridiculous amount of buttons in a short amount of time is a Guitar Hero song on expert being played on the controller.

[quote name='ZForce']Obviously, you've never seen the Wizard :p[/quote]

Your 18-1 sig is freakin' awesome. I hate the Patriots. Damn cheaters!

TBW

[quote name='Jayxdirect']No no, he has a point.

You'll be watching a show and one of the characters will be like "I'm going to play some video games!"
They walk over, use the remote to turn on the TV and pick up a control and immediately begin sticking their tongue out and mashing every button they can hurriedly get their finger on.
Apparently, the system they're playing on has virtually no start up screen, nor does it have a menu. It just immediately skips to the most furious part of the game

And the only game that may require you to press a ridiculous amount of buttons in a short amount of time is a Guitar Hero song on expert being played on the controller.[/quote]

yes! u get what im sayin. i will be the first video game playing accuracy consultant.

[quote name='integralsmatic']meh dont really care. i remember an episode of full house where all the family did was get sucked in to a game and played the NES Advantage.[/QUOTE]
I actually remember that episode! They were killing wombats. The twins were telling Jesse to "zap the wombats!" :rofl:

I distinctly remember a scene in the Sopranos where Tony and A.J. were playing Mario Kart 64. A.J. hits the reset button, Tony picks up a controller and BAM they start playing. For a moment that took me right out of the episode... it might seem silly, but for a gritty reality-based show like that, you notice these things!

[quote name='Rig']Ray and one of those twins (Everybody Loves Raymond) playing DDR was pretty painful to watch. :lol:[/quote]
I'm sorry to say, but I saw that as well. It was sad, they were basically just spazing out.

[quote name='hobocorpses']Man, he sucks at Rad Racer.[/QUOTE]
you suck at rad racer.

anyways. I remember a few years ago on Black Friday I was standing in line with my then girlfriend and beside us were huge stacks of the rocking video game chair (one that had speakers by your head and everything) and she goes "Ha, look that guy is holding his controller wrong" and yep, right there on the front of the box the guy that was in his "rocking" chair playing his video game was in fact holding his controller upside down. I was proud at the fact that she , as a semi-gamer, recognized that. Yet sad at the same time that people marketing to gamers couldn't get the controller pointed in the right direction.

why respectfully and truthfully show the media increasingly competing for money and advertising, when you could just make it be a kids toy?

We've got this shitty one playing on the TVs in my campus gym where this pissed off old guy is playing some game ionline, trash talking the opposition, and using a GameCube controller AND an Xbox 360 Headset.

You think some idiot making the commercial would at least notice that the GC Controller doesn't have a headset port.

~HotShotX

The blond guy looks like somebody i've seen in a movie, but i can't place it. Isn't Mark Hamill either. He looks like he's out of some cheesy 80s sci-fi movie.

I finally figured it out, he looks like Kirk's son.

marc4rc1.jpg

My brother and I were watching some horrible show on CBS (Big bang theory) and they said they were playing Halo 3. Well, 2 seconds later, one of them said they were going to pick up a health pack, and I stood up and shouted, "HEALTH PACKS EQUAL HALO 1 DUMB NOOBS."

I then took my seat.

There was that thread a little while ago about some CSI type cop drama show talking about how "a video game system is just a computer with a hard drive with games on it." And then they somehow discerned that they had to beat level 10 in order to un-encrypt some documents that were hidden in the game's coding, which magically appeared when they finished it. It was one of the Prince of Persia's (I wouldn't know which one), and all of a sudden these Excel spreadsheets just showed up when they opened a door.

The montage showed various people playing the game, some bits of game footage, a few deaths, and sweat running down their faces as they were clearly in a state of extreme duress.

It was just shameful.

It's like how - if you notice - in almost every cartoon, the controls/controllers are always backwards. I don't know of many examples off hand, but if you watch King of the Hill, Bobby's Gameboy usually has the dpad on the right side of the handheld.

There's countless examples of gaming being portrayed badly in pop culture, and the one question I always have is are there seriously no writers on any of these projects that play games? I mean, there has to be one, right? Actually I guess that's worse, because they either don't care or were shot down by fellow writers if they tried to inject some truth into the situation.

I always love it when they show someone playing something, and they are just pressing all the buttons as fast as they can go. And then inevitably they've overlayed some really bad or generic game sounds over the background music, which usually is Tetris rotational sounds or Mario coin sounds.

[quote name='Strell']There was that thread a little while ago about some CSI type cop drama show talking about how "a video game system is just a computer with a hard drive with games on it." And then they somehow discerned that they had to beat level 10 in order to un-encrypt some documents that were hidden in the game's coding, which magically appeared when they finished it. It was one of the Prince of Persia's (I wouldn't know which one), and all of a sudden these Excel spreadsheets just showed up when they opened a door.

The montage showed various people playing the game, some bits of game footage, a few deaths, and sweat running down their faces as they were clearly in a state of extreme duress.

It was just shameful.

It's like how - if you notice - in almost every cartoon, the controls/controllers are always backwards. I don't know of many examples off hand, but if you watch King of the Hill, Bobby's Gameboy usually has the dpad on the right side of the handheld.
[/quote]

Oh man thats the greatest example and video clip ever. It was from the new cop show on NBC (Life?) with the guy from Band of Brothers. They're playing through some video game and Damien Lewis looks over at this woman (who is in her mid 30s) and she's mimicking playing the game with an invisible controller so he takes the controller from the other person and gives it to her and she's so good she breaks a code that was programmed into the game by some 12 year old kid. I'm blocked from Youtube right now but I desperately want to see that clip again.

Don't worry. I googled around and found links to the clip in question, but if you try to play it, it says NBC removed it for copyright reasons.

Remember the Scrubs with the 360? They almost do it alright, but they show the screen, it's clearly on single player, but both of them are pounding away on their controllers.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gy-UqTE2m5I[/MEDIA]

[quote name='johnnypark']Remember the Scrubs with the 360? They almost do it alright, but they show the screen, it's clearly on single player, but both of them are pounding away on their controllers.
[/quote]

Ah, it seems that the two I was going to bring up (Sopranos and Scrubs) have already been covered.

Though, in Scrubs, I also really enjoyed the fact that apparently Turk has a magical 360 that can be played on a TV without the use of either a/v cables or even a powercord.

ELF MAGIC.

They can't even get driving right in movies, why would they get games correct? I still see movies today where people are driving by turning the steering wheel back and forth.

Sadly the only time I've seen video games done right during a prime time show was on Friends. One episode had Chandler playing Crash Team Racing... like, actually playing it. When he stopped pressing buttons his racer wasn't doing anything on the screen.

[quote name='Strell']Don't worry. I googled around and found links to the clip in question, but if you try to play it, it says NBC removed it for copyright reasons.[/quote]

Which episode was it? It sounds so bad I really want to see it!

How about computers while at it? How many movies and shows have shown cutesy animations complete with wonderful sound effects just for an character opening an e-mail? Or webcams with HD like picture and sound? Or how one guy can with his Mac suddenly can not only get on an alien network but can successfully upload an virus complete with an laughing skull appearing on his own monitor after finishing sending said virus?

The mind boggles.... ;)

[quote name='Demolition Man']How about computers while at it? How many movies and shows have shown cutesy animations complete with wonderful sound effects just for an character opening an e-mail? Or webcams with HD like picture and sound? Or how one guy can with his Mac suddenly can not only get on an alien network but can successfully upload an virus complete with an laughing skull appearing on his own monitor after finishing sending said virus?

The mind boggles.... ;)[/quote]

I was just talking to someone about this! There was an episode of CSI where this woman's hand was found inside of a shark, and the detectives come into the autopsy room and ask "have you found anything?" and the doctor puts down his scalpel pulls a monitor over and says "it's definitely the vic's hand" and shows a CG animation of a hand being reattached to an arm. Did he REALLY need to spend all day modeling that up, or could he just have said "its a match."?

[quote name='Maklershed']Oh man thats the greatest example and video clip ever. It was from the new cop show on NBC (Life?) with the guy from Band of Brothers. They're playing through some video game and Damien Lewis looks over at this woman (who is in her mid 30s) and she's mimicking playing the game with an invisible controller so he takes the controller from the other person and gives it to her and she's so good she breaks a code that was programmed into the game by some 12 year old kid. I'm blocked from Youtube right now but I desperately want to see that clip again.[/quote]

I believe the dialogue went something like:

We need someone to beat level 10, are you up to the challenge

I'm a 30 year-old man who lives with his mother and has a star trek outfit in his closet - so yeah, I think so!

[quote name='Demolition Man']How about computers while at it? How many movies and shows have shown cutesy animations complete with wonderful sound effects just for an character opening an e-mail? Or webcams with HD like picture and sound? Or how one guy can with his Mac suddenly can not only get on an alien network but can successfully upload an virus complete with an laughing skull appearing on his own monitor after finishing sending said virus?

The mind boggles.... ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey I'm still waiting for the way the 'net is portrayed in Hackers - 3D and all. I want to hack into a secret government organization and find incriminating files in the trash bin.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']I was just talking to someone about this! There was an episode of CSI where this woman's hand was found inside of a shark, and the detectives come into the autopsy room and ask "have you found anything?" and the doctor puts down his scalpel pulls a monitor over and says "it's definitely the vic's hand" and shows a CG animation of a hand being reattached to an arm. Did he REALLY need to spend all day modeling that up, or could he just have said "its a match."?[/quote]

That def sounds like CSI: Miami. This is what happens everytime Caruso parks his car:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d54Ok6Uz_A[/media]

In the newer Charlie's Angels movie with Drew Barrymore, she falls down a hill naked while two kids are playing Final Fantasy VIII together, with two controllers. If I remember correctly, it was the SEED exam mission that was featured on the FFVIII demo.

bread's done
Back