I have a 19inch CRT monitor, and want to hook my 360 up to it.

help1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
If I do this, I will beable to plug the 360 directly to the monitor correct? And I would have to unplug it everytime I wanted to change from computer to 360? How would I get teh audio to plug to my speakers?

EDIT:

Any good monitors coming out during the black friday sales?

I wanna spend around 150, hopefully less, so whats the best one I can get B&M on black friday?

[quote name='nyprimus4']Probably the 19" Samsung or the 20" Acer.[/quote]

Im assuming that you mean the 200 dollar Acer, which is outta my range.

The samsung one, however, is in my range. Is it a good monitor?

Yes, you would have to switch between computer and 360.

The white and red cables come with a coupler. That turns them into one plug that plays stereo sound. Plug this into your line in port on your soundcard.

If you want surround sound, buy a optic cable. You can get them for 15 dollars at walmart.

I don't know what you mean by "how is it primarily for computer use", but I'll tell you this: it's excellent for computer use, but with the 360 you will end up with verticle stretching, which will distort your image, you'll probably also end up with ghosting if the Samsung has a cheap scaler.

You will need to switch between your PC and 360. You will need a 360 VGA cable and probably a VGA gender changer ($2-$3 at monoprice.com). Since you already have a 19in. CRT monitor there is no reason to buy an LCD monitor, they aren't any better quality. Also make sure you set the 360 to a widescreen resolution 1280x720 or above. If you set it to 1280x1024 it will upscale the 480p signal instead of using the 720p signal and it will look much worse.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You will need to switch between your PC and 360. You will need a 360 VGA cable and probably a VGA gender changer ($2-$3 at monoprice.com). Since you already have a 19in. CRT monitor there is no reason to buy an LCD monitor, they aren't any better quality. Also make sure you set the 360 to a widescreen resolution 1280x720 or above. If you set it to 1280x1024 it will upscale the 480p signal instead of using the 720p signal and it will look much worse.[/quote]

ACtually i just checked ad my CRT is a 17 inch.

I use my 360 on my 20 inch CRT monitor. I've got dual inputs so I can hook my computer and 360 up at the same time. You could look into a KVM solution to switch back and forth, just make sure its a quality unit, or picture quality will suffer.

I'm looking into (read: definitely buying, if I can find one) the Westinghouse 22 inch LCD widescreen on sale at Bestbuy on Black Friday for $199, as a replacement. Its got DVI, VGA, component, composite, s-video, everything you'd ever want. I could run my 360, computer, and HDTV cable box through it at the same time.

If you just want to buy another CRT monitor, they're dirt cheap. You can probably find one sooner or later for next to nothing, after rebates. I got a 19 inch KDS CRT for free after rebate about a year ago.

[quote name='dafoomie']I use my 360 on my 20 inch CRT monitor. I've got dual inputs so I can hook my computer and 360 up at the same time. You could look into a KVM solution to switch back and forth, just make sure its a quality unit, or picture quality will suffer.

I'm looking into (read: definitely buying, if I can find one) the Westinghouse 22 inch LCD widescreen on sale at Bestbuy on Black Friday for $199, as a replacement. Its got DVI, VGA, component, composite, s-video, everything you'd ever want. I could run my 360, computer, and HDTV cable box through it at the same time.

If you just want to buy another CRT monitor, they're dirt cheap. You can probably find one sooner or later for next to nothing, after rebates. I got a 19 inch KDS CRT for free after rebate about a year ago.[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to do the same thing. I have a 21 inch dell CRT and this would be a nice upgrade since it has all the inputs and will help reduce some of the clutter I have in my room.

I'm running my PC and 360 through a Dell 2405FPW panel. Its response time is a little slow so there's some ghosting, but Its got multiple inputs and the sound is just run stereo into the PC's line in. Multiple inputs is the way to go.

I hate to be a snobbish prick, but other than space issues why is everybody switching away from CRT? The picture quality on a CRT is FAR superior to LCD (or plasma and projection for that matter) take a look at the contrast ratio (more colors, truer black) and the MUCH higher resolution.

[quote name='peteloaf']I hate to be a snobbish prick, but other than space issues why is everybody switching away from CRT? The picture quality on a CRT is FAR superior to LCD (or plasma and projection for that matter) take a look at the contrast ratio (more colors, truer black) and the MUCH higher resolution.[/quote]

Lcds looks nicer, take up less space, and take less power. I can take a hit in refresh rates for these reasons. CRTs are way too bulky, and cause my eyes to hurt as well.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You will need a 360 VGA cable and probably a VGA gender changer ($2-$3 at monoprice.com).[/QUOTE]
The official MS VGA cable includes the gender changer, as well as a coupler for the audio cables.

[quote name='peteloaf']I hate to be a snobbish prick, but other than space issues why is everybody switching away from CRT? The picture quality on a CRT is FAR superior to LCD (or plasma and projection for that matter) take a look at the contrast ratio (more colors, truer black) and the MUCH higher resolution.[/QUOTE]
Thats generally how I feel, I've got a few 20+ inch CRT monitors around my house. I'm making the jump to that particular LCD for a few reasons, its widescreen (insanely expensive on a CRT), its got all those inputs, and it uses less electricity. I've got 2 HDTVs in my house already, and they're both CRTs.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You will need to switch between your PC and 360. You will need a 360 VGA cable and probably a VGA gender changer ($2-$3 at monoprice.com). Since you already have a 19in. CRT monitor there is no reason to buy an LCD monitor, they aren't any better quality. Also make sure you set the 360 to a widescreen resolution 1280x720 or above. If you set it to 1280x1024 it will upscale the 480p signal instead of using the 720p signal and it will look much worse.[/quote]

Well I had mine set to widescreen on my 20.1 Samsung LCD Monitor but was using 1280x1024 so I put it to 1280x 720. You're saying before it was upscaling a 480P instead of a 720P?

[quote name='Jr7891']Yes, you would have to switch between computer and 360.

The white and red cables come with a coupler. That turns them into one plug that plays stereo sound. Plug this into your line in port on your soundcard.

If you want surround sound, buy a optic cable. You can get them for 15 dollars at walmart.[/quote]

So you're saying that I'm getting stereo sound now, since I have hooked up my 360's audio into my line in already which then plays to my pc's speakers, a 5.1 sound system. You're also saying I want a fiber optic audio cable? I don't get how that would hook up to everything.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well I had mine set to widescreen on my 20.1 Samsung LCD Monitor but was using 1280x1024 so I put it to 1280x 720. You're saying before it was upscaling a 480P instead of a 720P?[/QUOTE]

I assume so because when I changed the resolution to 1280x1024 it looked much worse. I know 480p and 480i are the 360s native 4:3 resolutions, so I'm guessing it just uses the 480p signal to create a 1280x1024 image.

bread's done
Back