I have a few questions about HDTV's

Chrono72090

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Alright, I'm looking to buy an HDTV and I have a few questions about them:

1. The TV I'm looking at is an Insignia 27" from Best Buy for $375. It's not 16x9 aspect and it's a CRT. It's really affordable and it has component and hdmi, but is this brand reliable?

2. The TV only had one set of component inputs, but I have some gamestop system switcher. In the back it has port for component in, so if I plug that in to the TV via component, will it at all hinder the graphics? I would assume not.

3. When you run things in HD, is it automatically 16x9?

I had another question but I forget what it was :roll:

Thanks.

get a 16x9. it defeats the purpose of hd without it. also, insignia is a cheapo brand with cheap manufacturing. do some shopping around, you should fine a 16x9 30 inch in that price range. walmart had a 30 inch sanyo widescreen in that range. its not top of the line, but its alot better than insignia.

[quote name='thagoat']get a 16x9. it defeats the purpose of hd without it. also, insignia is a cheapo brand with cheap manufacturing. do some shopping around, you should fine a 16x9 30 inch in that price range. walmart had a 30 inch sanyo widescreen in that range. its not top of the line, but its alot better than insignia.[/quote]

Only reason I don't want a 16x9 is the stretching or black bars you get when you've got stuff that isn't 16x9. Is everything in HD automatically in 16x9? If so than I can definitely see the point of not getting a 4:3 hdtv, but idk.

All HD is 16x9. Don't get a 4:3, it's a waste of money.

You will also see some loss of quality if you use a cheap system selector. Best to get a TV with more inputs and a 16x9 screen and if you need it, a good quality system selector (I have the System Selector Pro and it works great with little to no loss of quality...it was $100.00)

Heh, I took a risk and shopped at philipsoutlet.

Its been one month and my purchase has been more then satisfying.

Let me dig up the model, I got it for $350 with coupon (refurbished+freeshipping, though i would let you know)

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET

If you want to watch HDCable, bump it up to the black TV I guess.

The TV does have component if you are wondering...

And there was a price drop so there you go....

And Philips Outlet seems to be 50/50 on reliabily, do some reasearch

I was on the positive side.

[quote name='Sexbomb']Heh, I took a risk and shopped at philipsoutlet.

Let me dig up the model, I got it for $350 with coupon (refurbished+freeshipping, though i would let you know)

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472427D96A29FB6423300000000828BD443&productarea=41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET

I was on the positive side.[/quote]

The only thing I would point out is that you won't get HD out of a PS3 on this television. It only accepts 480i/p and 1080i resolutions. The PS3 will not upscale to 1080i, so you will be forced to 480p resolution. Unless Sony fixes the PS3 with a firmware patch, which they are giving mixed messages on whether they can do or not.

[quote name='Sexbomb']Heh, I took a risk and shopped at philipsoutlet.

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET

I was on the positive side.[/QUOTE]

That's really nice that price!!!! Soo here's my question. Will the 360 look nice on that? And I guess I would need component cables for my Wii to use on that TV?

If I were buying now, I'd definitely get a widescreen/16:9 TV that supports 480i 480p 720p and 1080i, if not 1080p [that might bump the cost up more though].
If you're getting HD, you want widescreen.
Ignore the 'black bars'. They're not really there. Lots of HD content, and movies, that are filmed in the past half century are 16:9, or at least an aspect ratio other than 4:3. And if you got a 4:3 tv, when you watch widescreen/OAR content, you'd have letterbox effect.
http://www.widescreen.org/
HD content can be any aspect ratio, from 16:9 to 1.78:1 to 2.65:1, and yes, even 4:3. Most true broadcast TV HD content is 16:9, however, and many movies are about that.

Some component switchers work fine--I've used both the Pelican Pro and my Onkyo receiver--but I'd be a little wary of one that costs less than, say, 30 bucks. You don't have to spend a lot to get quality, but that's something that the cheapies might not do well at. But maybe they do, I have no experience with the lower-priced ones.

bread's done
Back